HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All your play-making center (not named SG, DB, VLC) are belong to Los Angeles Kings

Old
06-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
I like how Kings fans are always making these topics outlining their demands, screaming up and down they won't take anyone elses 2nd/3rd liners, when they'd be 1st/2nd liners on the Kings

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 07:21 AM
kmillzy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
I like how Kings fans are always making these topics outlining their demands, screaming up and down they won't take anyone elses 2nd/3rd liners, when they'd be 1st/2nd liners on the Kings
OH NO HE DIDN'T! hahaha lets not take cheapshots now. . .

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Oscar Moller or that 5th Overall could become better then Jordan Staal.
I agree.

JS isn't LA's best option.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Victory Rose, you're an alright dude as far as I can tell,l but this thread is... There was one a few months ago just like it. The Kings want what they want, and they don't want to pay for it (either in terms of contract, or trading away assets). Good luck finding the guy you're looking for for what you're willing to pay for him.

I mean how impossible is it to trade with a team who considers a goalie prospect who's played 4 games in the NHL "untouchable"? All our playmaking center are belong to you indeed.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 06-18-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Victory Rose, you're an alright dude as far as I can tell,l but this thread is... There was one a few months ago just like it. The Kings want what they want, and they don't want to pay for it (either in terms of contract, or trading away assets). Good luck finding the guy you're looking for for what you're willing to pay for him.

I mean how impossible is it to trade with a team who considers a goalie prospect who's played 4 games in the NHL "untouchable"? All our playmaking center are belong to you indeed.
I don't see the issue with leaving your best core pieces as untouchables? They shouldn't need to trade a Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, or the like. There are enough key pieces aside from them taht would garner interest from another club.

As for the goalie situation, LA needs a stud goalie, they haven't had an adequate filler for that position since god knows when, and by all appearances Bernier could well become that guy. If I were in their shoes I'd say hell no to moving him as well. Ask a Bruins fan about the availability of Rask and more often then not you'll get the same answer, and Boston has an established goalie already. Elite goaltending prospects are more valuable to the club developing them then they are to other clubs, just the nature of the beast.

The only real issue I see is the age limit. Too much emphasis is put on youth, when rarely a winning team is built completely that way. If you look at LA now, they could stand to import a cagey vet or two (not necessarily needed in this deal, but it wouldn't hurt). It's not an issue specific to LA fans, just look at the Toronto Kaberle proposals. Almost always a young stud guy plus other future pieces, when in reality they have the dman right there to start building around.

I think LA's greatest asset right now is their cap space, which should attract a lot of teams. However, they aren't going to get something for free, but that high pick in combination with some of their developed prospects and yet to be established youngsters can be quite a valuable asset.

Kaoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:52 AM
VictoryRose

Quote:

the point is, Im not asking for superstars. Im not even asking for players that are as of now, on par with players like Brown etc. We have a non-negotiable situation in goal UNLESS a superstar is involved. The request is very clear in the first post. No superstar? no problem. What else do you have that makes sense?

a lot of people have done a good job coming up with names that make sense within the context of the request.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:57 AM
VictoryRose

I like a lot of these ideas. the Backstrom ones especially, though I don't think that's going to happen. The Derek Roy trade is intriguing. What if we drop to #7 in a trade with TO or something, would Jarrett Stoll + 7th for DErek Roy + 13th still work? I think another asset needs to come into play to move out of the possibility of Schenn/Kane etc.

Old
06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
I like a lot of these ideas. the Backstrom ones especially, though I don't think that's going to happen. The Derek Roy trade is intriguing. What if we drop to #7 in a trade with TO or something, would Jarrett Stoll + 7th for DErek Roy + 13th still work? I think another asset needs to come into play to move out of the possibility of Schenn/Kane etc.
After sleeping on it, I agree with the Roy idea. He's a worker, which is what we need. Backstrom might not be bad idea, either.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I don't see the issue with leaving your best core pieces as untouchables? They shouldn't need to trade a Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, or the like. There are enough key pieces aside from them that would garner interest from another club.
I agree about Kopitar, Doughty and Brown. Those are the three most important guys on that team (add Quick as well if you like).But the OP also includes "JW, Bernier, Simmonds". Jesus Christ, a club with this many untouchable players should have won a cup last year. And in numerous threads I see where people do try to build trades around whatever Kings fans are willing to leave available, people balk and then ask for overpayment for them. The Kings' fans want a first line player for their scraps, good luck to them.

Quote:
As for the goalie situation, LA needs a stud goalie, they haven't had an adequate filler for that position since god knows when, and by all appearances Bernier could well become that guy. If I were in their shoes I'd say hell no to moving him as well. Elite goal tending prospects are more valuable to the club developing them then they are to other clubs, just the nature of the beast.
You have explained to me what I already knew, which is why both goalies have value to the Kings. What you have not explained to me is how the hell that value rises to the level of "untouchable". They need a first line center, they need a goalie. They want to get their center and keep both goalies. You can't always get what you want, but they could get what they need.

Quote:
I think LA's greatest asset right now is their cap space, which should attract a lot of teams. However, they aren't going to get something for free, but that high pick in combination with some of their developed prospects and yet to be established youngsters can be quite a valuable asset.
I agree about their cap space being an asset. Which is why the Briere and Gomez trades make so much sense. take one of those guys on, lose some space, and give up an asset that is typically worth less than a first line center. But a lot of Kings' fans don't want to pull a trigger on any trade that doesn't absolutely screw the other team. It's getting silly at this point.

Old
06-18-2009, 10:26 AM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:

I agree about their cap space being an asset. Which is why the Briere and Gomez trades make so much sense. take one of those guys on, lose some space, and give up an asset that is typically worth less than a first line center. But a lot of Kings' fans don't want to pull a trigger on any trade that doesn't absolutely screw the other team. It's getting silly at this point.
There is no way Kings touch on Gomez or Briere contracts without some dead salary going the other way.
Not to mention both players are small and the Kings want to get bigger so there will be no deal for both Gomez and Briere from the Kings perspective.

That's our current top6 listed heights:
Frolov-Kopitar-Williams (6.2 - 6.3 - 6.1)
Möller-Stol-Brown (5.11- 6.0 - 6.0)

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 10:29 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I agree about Kopitar, Doughty and Brown. Those are the three most important guys on that team (add Quick as well if you like).But the OP also includes "JW, Bernier, Simmonds". Jesus Christ, a club with this many untouchable players should have won a cup last year. And in numerous threads I see where people do try to build trades around whatever Kings fans are willing to leave available, people balk and then ask for overpayment for them. The Kings' fans want a first line player for their scraps, good luck to them.

You have explained to me what I already knew, which is why both goalies have value to the Kings. What you have not explained to me is how the hell that value rises to the level of "untouchable". They need a first line center, they need a goalie. They want to get their center and keep both goalies. You can't always get what you want, but they could get what they need.

Why, so we can have the same cap problem as NYR and Philadelphia in a few years when our best young players all need new contracts?

I don't think so. Kings' fans aren't opposed to spending on the right player(s). I think the evidence suggests that Gomez is not good value, and Briere while slightly better in terms of value doesn't really fit in with our team because of his age, recent injury history and salary.

We aren't looking to screw other teams. We are looking to take advantage of the cap problems that other teams have by offering something that is slightly below market value for some of their assets. Having the cap space is what puts us in the driver's seat.

When a club has to clear out some contracts to get under the cap, whether it be this year or in two or three years, why should the Kings take the contracts that the other team wants to dump? No, you keep the bad contract. We'll help you by taking on the contract(s) of the player(s) that we want, and providing you with picks or low-cost prospects (value of prospect depends on value of player coming to us).

Welcome to the world of a hard salary cap, where mistakes can no longer be papered over by spending more money.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
VictoryRose

Quote:
But a lot of Kings' fans don't want to pull a trigger on any trade that doesn't absolutely screw the other team. It's getting silly at this point.
I totally agree, but again, I am talking about players not on that tier. I'm talking more about potential players. The team has an immediate need that doesn't require a star player to fill. I am starting to get turned on by the idea of Filppula. Guys like that. Younger, still have a little potential, but likely arent going to be PPG players. They exist, several have been mentioned here.

Old
06-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Nylander and a 2nd for Boyle.
Damn, problem solved right there

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post
just pointing out we wont trade wayne simmonds and we dont have the 4th.
For Nick Backstrom? You trade your own mother if you have too.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:17 AM
kmillzy5

Quote:
I agree. .They come across spoiled, considering they havent made serious run at the playoffs, in which seems like forever. it seems like every player on the roster is "untouchable".

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:55 AM
parineum

The problem is they don't have a middle ground between untouchable and expendable.

Brown

Kopitar
Doughty
Quick

Bernier
Johnson

Hickey
Simmonds
Moller
Frolov

That's how I'd group some of the upper tier players on the Kings, with Brown being the only real untouchable. The second group is very close to untouchable but not quite there yet.

parineum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Greaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
If thats the case, if you really think that the Pens could sign him for 3M then I'd love Johnson for Staal. For the Pens to do this it would probably have to look something like...

Kings get: Jordan Staal, 2nd and 4th rounder

Pens get: Jack Johnson, 2nd and 5th rounder

I feel that Staal is just a much more proven commodity to this point in their short careers, and I'd want to move up in the draft. The Kings get to stay in the second round but move down 26 spots. They then get to move up about 5 picks in the 4th/5th round.

What do the Kings fans think of this deal?
I wouldn't do that deal.

Greaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Omni Owl

Ideally, I'd like to see Lombardi swing a deal for either Bergeron, J. Staal, or Giroux, seeing as Boston, Pittsburgh, and Philly are all deep at center.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno12 View Post
I agree. .They come across spoiled, considering they havent made serious run at the playoffs, in which seems like forever. it seems like every player on the roster is "untouchable".
I wish you could read and or perform the heavy task of critical thinking. I don't expect anyone on this board to be as stupid as Randall Graves, so please, don't get into the home stretch of the Preakness and work to be nose and nose with him.

It's not about adding superstars, it's about keeping the Kings' core intact and adding a young player with a little promise, utilizing what's available. The Kings HAVENT made the playoffs, and WONT make the playoffs if they start moving guys like Doughty or Quick for ****ing Valteri Fillpula.

GET THE ****ING PREMISE OF THE THREAD THROUGH YOUR DOMEPIECE.

Old
06-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Why, so we can have the same cap problem as NYR and Philadelphia in a few years when our best young players all need new contracts?
Philly's situation is unique, in that Briere's contract preceded the emergence of Carter and Richards as two first line quality centers. When they got their first line center money, Briere's services became superfluous.

Quote:
I don't think so. Kings' fans aren't opposed to spending on the right player(s). I think the evidence suggests that Gomez is not good value, and Briere while slightly better in terms of value doesn't really fit in with our team because of his age, recent injury history and salary.
See, we disagree here. Briere has won wherever he has gone, has always been a playoff performer, and would be a nice vet to have on a young talented team like yours. I think he is a great fit. The bulk of the time he missed this year was from a pinched abdominal nerve. It is not like a hip or muscular injury, and is just as likely to happen to a 20 year old as a 30 year old.

Quote:
When a club has to clear out some contracts to get under the cap, whether it be this year or in two or three years, why should the Kings take the contracts that the other team wants to dump?
Because that player is not a "dump", and the reason we are looking to deal him is the wealth of talent in the organization at that position. I am not trying to sell you "Tom Preissing for your best player". I have seen a few Kings fans balk at the idea of Stoll + Preissing for Briere.

Quote:
No, you keep the bad contract. We'll help you by taking on the contract(s) of the player(s) that we want, and providing you with picks or low-cost prospects (value of prospect depends on value of player coming to us).
Translation: We will take what we want, and you will take what we give you and like it. Hahahaha.....no. We will keep our reasonable contract, and decline your offer of "help" via pilfering our roster. No trade to be made here, no problem, no hard feelings and no progress for either team.

@ VictoryRose I just spit soda all over my monitor at the use of the word "DOMEPIECE". Well done. I hear what you're saying about the type of player you're looking for (Roy seems like a good fit). I perhaps came into this thread letting my annoyance from previous threads carry over, apologies.

Old
06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
RLD12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
I want the Kings to go after Staal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penguins can aford to trade a Center

Do get him DL..... DO IT!!!!!!
Pleassse do it, idc whats in return just not someone making 4 mil who doesnt deserve it

RLD12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I like how you, a Ducks fan, has probably about 15,000 of those 17,000 posts in Kings thread. If we're such idiots, ignore us. And how about you go outside and make sure the sky is still blue? I doubt you've seen it since George W. Bush was elected the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno12 View Post
Every player isn't untouchable. The problem is the Kings have spent the last 3 years building up a stockpile of young players and they aren't about to blow it all up to get one impact player. There is still a lot of work to be done. So Dean Lombardi is in a tough position this summer where he is going to have to try and improve the team while not taking two steps backward. In reality, we'll probably end up with a decent second line addition and that is about it unless something ridiculous happened.

I love how in the Dany Heatley proposals every Sens fan is asking for the world. A lot of Kings fans agreed they'd be willing to part with the 5th overall, JJ and Oscar Moller. I read today that Brian Murray has not received one offer for a high draft pick. That should tell us all something. It is a little dose of reality. The one thing the Kings do have in their favor is CAP space and there are plenty of teams that would like to clear some. That is where the Kings greatest chance to really improve their team comes from.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
The one thing the Kings do have in their favor is CAP space and there are plenty of teams that would like to clear some. That is where the Kings greatest chance to really improve their team comes from.
I agree. And I think offering under typical market value for a guy who is being traded for cap reasons is a good way to improve the team. The difficulty is, the teams who want to get rid of players for cap reasons, aren't trying to clear 3 million off the books. They're trying to trade big name players. So while there is probably another route available to acquire a player that could help the Kings, cap relief is probably not going to be the incentive or leverage that gets that trade done. I take it you don't agree?

Old
06-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Philly's situation is unique, in that Briere's contract preceded the emergence of Carter and Richards as two first line quality centers. When they got their first line center money, Briere's services became superfluous.
You don't think the same situation could happen to the Kings if they dole out large contracts like Philly?

Quote:
See, we disagree here. Briere has won wherever he has gone, has always been a playoff performer, and would be a nice vet to have on a young talented team like yours. I think he is a great fit. The bulk of the time he missed this year was from a pinched abdominal nerve. It is not like a hip or muscular injury, and is just as likely to happen to a 20 year old as a 30 year old.
What has Briere won excactly?

A recurring groin injury is enough to scare me away. Briere has too many negatives when it comes to the Kings needs, he has missed significant time since the lockout, has a contract that doesn't expire until he is 38, he is small in a division with big centers and coming from a team trying to clear CAP space. The only positive is his CAP number but at that length of term it is not even worth considering.

Quote:
Because that player is not a "dump", and the reason we are looking to deal him is the wealth of talent in the organization at that position. I am not trying to sell you "Tom Preissing for your best player". I have seen a few Kings fans balk at the idea of Stoll + Preissing for Briere.
This is just spin. If he is so wanted, dump him on somebody else. I can almost guarantee you he won't be a King on October so why bother trying to fit a square peg into a round hole when all of this is fantasy talk anyways. Briere to the Kings just isn't realistic. Most Kings fans seem to agree.

Quote:
Translation: We will take what we want, and you will take what we give you and like it. Hahahaha.....no. We will keep our reasonable contract, and decline your offer of "help" via pilfering our roster. No trade to be made here, no problem, no hard feelings and no progress for either team.
Fair enough, I guarantee you that isn't how your GM sees it. Not only that, has anyone seen it written that Briere is willing to waive his NMC? If not, all of this conversation is pretty much moot.

Old
06-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I agree. And I think offering under typical market value for a guy who is being traded for cap reasons is a good way to improve the team. The difficulty is, the teams who want to get rid of players for cap reasons, aren't trying to clear 3 million off the books. They're trying to trade big name players. So while there is probably another route available to acquire a player that could help the Kings, cap relief is probably not going to be the incentive or leverage that gets that trade done. I take it you don't agree?
I do agree to an extent. Look at last year, the Kings took Gauthier from Philly for a 2nd rounder and the Kings gave them 2 useless prospect. Very much a salary dump. We had the CAP room, the roster spot and the contract expired this season so everything worked out. Gomez, Briere and even Drury do not fit with the Kings long term. They are a temporary fix and will be retiring by the time most of the Kings players hit 25 years old. That isn't what the Kings need. Now if there was a Briere or Gomez on a 2 year or even 3 year deal, that is much more palatable. You guys can sell how great Briere is all you want, he doesn't fit with the kIngs. Enjoy his 60 gp and his ppg performance he has averaged since the lockout. I can guarantee you that isn't a risk that our GM is willing to take. He is very calculated in his move and this would scream of desperation if he did make it and a lot of fans would be upset. It would go against everything he has preached the last 3 years.