HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Brian Burke - Dany Heatley

Old
06-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Gorgeous George

vCash: 500
Brian Burke - Dany Heatley

The following are quotes from the article.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282128

Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke let it be known that the Leafs will not be in on the Dany Heatley sweepstakes, and he pulled no punches along the way.

"We're not going to be in on that," Burke stated. "He's a good player but I have certain guidelines on how players ask for trades."

"For a player to pop off and say he wants out or leak it (to the media), in my mind you are now no longer interested in your team. If you've done that you've handicapped them, you've handcuffed your GM."

"As long as you are on that team, you owe them to maximize the asset, and once you've taken that step, sorry I don't accept that."

Gorgeous George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Gorgeous George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post

Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke let it be known that the Leafs will not be in on the Dany Heatley sweepstakes, and he pulled no punches along the way.

"We're not going to be in on that," Burke stated. "He's a good player but I have certain guidelines on how players ask for trades."

"For a player to pop off and say he wants out or leak it (to the media), in my mind you are now no longer interested in your team. If you've done that you've handicapped them, you've handcuffed your GM."

"As long as you are on that team, you owe them to maximize the asset, and once you've taken that step, sorry I don't accept that."

I wonder if he felt the same way about Pronger's situation in Edmonton.

Old
06-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Burke is a hypocrite. Funny he never said that when Pronger wanted out. He fleeced Edmonton and now he's being a hyprocrite saying he doesn't want players that want to be traded.

06-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

It's OK everyone, you can sleep at night again. You've got Brian Burke's opinion on the situation.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I wonder if he felt the same way about Pronger's situation in Edmonton.
heh-heh, yeah, I did wonder about that.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:43 PM
TOML

Pronger was acquired by Burke, so Pronger was justified. Pronger deserved a cup.

Heatley cannot be acquired by Burke now, no matter how hard he tries, so Heatley is NOT justified. Heatley deserves to be roasted.

I like blatant hypocrisy. It's highly entertaining.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Maybe he didn't like the way the Pronger situation played out?

Can people not change their opinions over three years?

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Gorgeous George

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Heatley cannot be acquired by Burke now, no matter how hard he tries, so Heatley is NOT justified. Heatley deserves to be roasted.
For sure.

If Toronto was a contender, and had the assets and the cap space to pick up Heatley, he would be on the team.

Don't ever think Toronto (and Ottawa for that matter) wouldn't love to kick the other while they are down.

Old
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Maybe, just maybe, he knows the story behind Pronger's and Heatley's circumstances. Considering how insane some fans were in Edmonton, I can't blame Pronger. For all we know, Pronger met with the team and they knew for a while and had been shopping him before it came out.

I'm not saying that's the case, but for all we know, Heatley did it in a way that Burke finds unacceptable, while Pronger's method was justified in his mind.

Even if you knew all of the circumstances, you might disagree with his judgment, but I don't think that makes him a hypocrite or a liar. I'm not defending Burke because I like him or anything like that, but it's stupid to try to compare complex situations with many unknown elements.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:48 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
For sure.

If Toronto was a contender, and had the assets and the cap space to pick up Heatley, he would be on the team.

Don't ever think Toronto (and Ottawa for that matter) wouldn't love to kick the other while they are down.
Yeah...no he wouldn't.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:50 PM
VictoryRose

Burke's a pompous windbag, but keep in mind...

Pronger told Edmonton prior to the playoffs starting, and still played his ass off to get that team to the finals, and real close to winning. Say what you will about Pronger, he knew he was on his way out and he was still a ****ing gamer. He also didn't allow it to become public until after the finals.

His motivation for leaving was a lot different than OMG U JERK CLOUSTON U REDUCE MY MINUTES I H8 U, DIE WITH FACE FOLDED

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
What does Toronto have to give up other than Luke Schenn and 7th overall anyways?

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Spoke

Been to long without Burke hearing the sound of his own voice I guess.

Please Brian, tell us all the other players that you are not interested in pursing.

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:51 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Maybe, just maybe, he knows the story behind Pronger's and Heatley's circumstances. Considering how insane some fans were in Edmonton, I can't blame Pronger. For all we know, Pronger met with the team and they knew for a while and had been shopping him before it came out.

I'm not saying that's the case, but for all we know, Heatley did it in a way that Burke finds unacceptable, while Pronger's method was justified in his mind.

Even if you knew all of the circumstances, you might disagree with his judgment, but I don't think that makes him a hypocrite or a liar. I'm not defending Burke because I like him or anything like that, but it's stupid to try to compare complex situations with many unknown elements.
What in the blue hell are you talking about?

Fans in Edmonton were insane how?

His entire problem with the situation is that Heatley took it public - just like Pronger did, thus stringing his team out and ruining any chance of a decent return.

The fact you're trying to defend him, and making up **** about Edmonton fans being "insane," is pretty pathetic.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:52 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Pronger was acquired by Burke, so Pronger was justified. Pronger deserved a cup.

I like blatant hypocrisy. It's highly entertaining.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:53 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
Burke's a pompous windbag, but keep in mind...

Pronger told Edmonton prior to the playoffs starting, and still played his ass off to get that team to the finals, and real close to winning. Say what you will about Pronger, he knew he was on his way out and he was still a ****ing gamer. He also didn't allow it to become public until after the finals.

His motivation for leaving was a lot different than OMG U JERK CLOUSTON U REDUCE MY MINUTES I H8 U, DIE WITH FACE FOLDED
You'll note that he doesn't once cite Heatley's reasons.

He cite's that Heatley took it public - just like Pronger did, and that is his only problem with what Heatley did.

Old
06-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
I like Burke suddenly

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
RC51

The less your Sens get for Heatly the better for MY habs, but I have to admit, Burke is really underhanded. By going public with this statement he is trying to drive the price down, It's not his player, it's not his team, he has NO business stating all this. He is trying to sabotage the Heatly price to his advantage and his teams advantage.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Would Toronto be interested in trading Schenn, or their first ? no, then you've got nothing Ottawa wants.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:56 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
not going to go into the edmonton Pronger situation

I hd been waiting for Burke to comment on the Heatley situation--I knew h would--he had to put himslef into a sitaution that he did not want to be involved in--but--he had to get involved cuase it had been a few days since he had been able to take the spotlight away from anyone else.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jwm1986

Burke acts like he is standing on his pedestal in a kings chair...the way he talks makes me mad... he tries to make it seem like he controls everything and can manipulate player and teams at will...its ridiculous.

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PDO

I wonder if Burke will attempt to charge himself with tampering?

Old
06-17-2009, 03:57 PM
PhysicalTorque

LOL Leaking out to media you want to be traded is a low blow, I think that is why heattie is a ****** in his eyes, also in mine as well.

Down with dominant losery.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
I'm expecting an article soon on what Brian Burke puts on his hot dog.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque View Post
LOL Leaking out to media you want to be traded is a low blow, I think that is why heattie is a ****** in his eyes, also in mine as well.

Down with dominant losery.
So what was Pronger?

Or Brendan Morrison for that matter?