HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-10 Cap Summary (Looking Ahead)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Not to nitpick, but Corbin McPherson goes to Colgate, not Cornell. The Devils do not have a prospect playing at Cornell since Tony Romano went back to juniors.

Regarding Malakhov, I believe what happened is that we ran into cap trouble because he was underperforming and signed to an expensive contract, and we couldn't sign our pending free agents without moving him. Lou basically pioneered the use of a salary dump deal by sending him to the Sharks, who had space, with our first round pick for some unimportant players I can't remember.
Jim Fahey and Alexander Korolyuk.

Old
06-24-2009, 11:25 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

So we lost out on Perron because Nieds had to wait until August to announce his - or Carol's - decision?

Old
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick89 View Post
How is everyone so certain the cap is going to drop to 50-52 million in the 10 summer? We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, right now we should focus on what can make this team better for next season. If we're screwed for the 10-11 season then imagine how screwed the Raggots are
Because it's been speculated almost everywhere. The current economic situation will most likely affect the cap more next year.

You can't just say, "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it". That is the Ranger way. This team needs to be more financially conservative in the next two summers. Let other teams get into trouble with the cap by going after a largely mediocre free agent class.

We need to sign Paul Martin next year, and give Parise a raise in two. Don't you want to be able to have the room to sign both of them, or would you rather gamble that away by signing the overrated Michael Cammalleri or oft-injured Martin Havlat?

Old
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Not to nitpick, but Corbin McPherson goes to Colgate, not Cornell. The Devils do not have a prospect playing at Cornell since Tony Romano went back to juniors.
Correct. I wish there was a Devils prospect at Cornell so I'd have an instant favorite player on the team to root for. Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much all of Cornell's team, but I just wish we had a prospect.

Additionally, if the Devils pick Leblanc, I'm going to be angry.

On the topic of cap space, we need, absolutely NEED, to have enough for Martin and Parise to get the requisite raises in the next two offseasons. I would love to pick up a new player, but if there's even the slightest possibility that doing so could **** us, I'd rather avoid it. Paul Martin and Zach Parise are the backbone of this team for the foreseeable future and if we lose them, it's not going to be pretty.

Old
06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
crashlanding

Sorry, I just read it wrong off of hockeydb.com, I do remember thinking to myself "Gee, I didn't think he went to Cornell, that's interesting."

Old
06-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofgrond View Post
Correct. I wish there was a Devils prospect at Cornell so I'd have an instant favorite player on the team to root for. Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much all of Cornell's team, but I just wish we had a prospect.
My favourite player on the team is definitely Riley Nash. Too bad he's an Oilers prospect. I know Seminoff personally and I love the crazy ****, but he'll never make it to the NHL, he's not big enough.

What do you think about Lou signing Ben Scrivens as a free agent after he's done at Cornell next year? He's put up impressive numbers the last few years after taking the starting job from Troy Davenport. I've seen him stand on his head in goal, stealing games against better teams. The biggest knock on him is that his numbers are inflated because he benefits from Cornell's defensive game, but isn't that why people knock Marty? I think he could thrive, and I want to see if he could hack it in the AHL. Speaking of which, I'm really surprised that Lou hasn't signed any college or European free agents yet this year.

Old
06-25-2009, 07:23 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
My favourite player on the team is definitely Riley Nash. Too bad he's an Oilers prospect. I know Seminoff personally and I love the crazy ****, but he'll never make it to the NHL, he's not big enough.

What do you think about Lou signing Ben Scrivens as a free agent after he's done at Cornell next year? He's put up impressive numbers the last few years after taking the starting job from Troy Davenport. I've seen him stand on his head in goal, stealing games against better teams. The biggest knock on him is that his numbers are inflated because he benefits from Cornell's defensive game, but isn't that why people knock Marty? I think he could thrive, and I want to see if he could hack it in the AHL. Speaking of which, I'm really surprised that Lou hasn't signed any college or European free agents yet this year.
Lou should definitely offer Scrivens a contract when he's done at Cornell. Sure the way hockey is played in the ECAC and Cornell's solid defense inflates his numbers a bit, but when Scrivens is on, he wins games. Period. We lack quality goalie prospects anyway, so signing him and giving him a shot to play professionally for a bit really can't hurt us. Give him a shot, if he plays well, great, if not, then so be it. Guy deserves a shot professionally if he wants it after how well he's played for the Red.

Riley Nash is my second favorite player, after Scrivens. I wish the Devils had drafted him

Old
06-25-2009, 07:43 AM
HatTrick89

Send a message via AIM to HatTrick89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Because it's been speculated almost everywhere. The current economic situation will most likely affect the cap more next year.

You can't just say, "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it". That is the Ranger way. This team needs to be more financially conservative in the next two summers. Let other teams get into trouble with the cap by going after a largely mediocre free agent class.

We need to sign Paul Martin next year, and give Parise a raise in two. Don't you want to be able to have the room to sign both of them, or would you rather gamble that away by signing the overrated Michael Cammalleri or oft-injured Martin Havlat?
Hell no, but if we could get Saku Koivu on a year deal that would be great, or Jay Bouwmeester on a long term deal that would also be great. Those guys wouldn't guarantee us a cup, but they have the potential to put us over the top. Im really not confident in any of our prospects right now to step in and be huge difference makers. Brodeur only has a few more good years in him, and each year he just gets older. We should go for the cup while we still have a shot at it. Re-signing Oduya, letting Madden and Gionta walk and not signing anyone to replace them is just dumb. If our second line of Elias, Zubrus, Gionta and sometimes Rolston was bad just wait til Gionta leaves...He was the best player on that line in the playoffs. Do you really want to go back to having an anemic offense and relying on Brodeur all year long? I feel that's where we are headed if we don't make a good trade or a good free agent signing. Bergfors, Corrente, Cormier, Halischuk are not going to save this team next season. They'll be lucky to be on it.

Old
06-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofgrond View Post
Lou should definitely offer Scrivens a contract when he's done at Cornell. Sure the way hockey is played in the ECAC and Cornell's solid defense inflates his numbers a bit, but when Scrivens is on, he wins games. Period. We lack quality goalie prospects anyway, so signing him and giving him a shot to play professionally for a bit really can't hurt us. Give him a shot, if he plays well, great, if not, then so be it. Guy deserves a shot professionally if he wants it after how well he's played for the Red.

Riley Nash is my second favorite player, after Scrivens. I wish the Devils had drafted him
He went to the Oilers with the 14th pick, we had no chance at picking him, more's the pity.

Regarding Scrivens, maybe it's just my blatant homerism, but I really think the kid has what it takes to play in the NHL. I just hope the Devils realise that before any other team does.

Old
06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
i think i remember reading this somewhere, but isnt Parise still going to be an RFA after his current deal is up? or am i making that up?

Old
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
i think i remember reading this somewhere, but isnt Parise still going to be an RFA after his current deal is up? or am i making that up?
NHL Numbers says that too, it wouldn't surprise me. He'll be under 28, and hasn't played in the league long enough to be a UFA. I think that's how it works.

Old
06-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
Nope your right, and I hope Lou can swindle Zajac into making him a RFA after his contract is done too.

Old
06-25-2009, 01:30 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
He went to the Oilers with the 14th pick, we had no chance at picking him, more's the pity.

Regarding Scrivens, maybe it's just my blatant homerism, but I really think the kid has what it takes to play in the NHL. I just hope the Devils realise that before any other team does.
Homerism be damned. I've watched him drag the team to victory kicking and screaming too many times to not think he has at least an outside shot at plahying in the NHL. Cornell is a very good team, but they're not great all the time. Scrivens has time and time again helped gloss over their weaker performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
Nope your right, and I hope Lou can swindle Zajac into making him a RFA after his contract is done too.
Now, now, it's not nice to "swindle" out best Center into anything. I'd rather Lou lean more towards making him an "offer he can't refuse"

Old
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
crashlanding

I really think Lou is going to sign Zajac to a three year deal in the $8M range. I don't think either party would be interested in a 35 year deal like the ones that are getting handed out (Zajac probably thinks he can continue to improve and demand more while Lou would probably like to see some more consistency since he's really only had one very good year.) It's decent money and he'll still be an RFA at the end of the deal.

Old
06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Why does Lou always wait?

Old
06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Why does Lou always wait?
It is interesting, you figure he'd at least contact the guys that he wants to keep and say something along the lines of "hey I'm really busy with the draft right now but I just want to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you blahblahblah."

He's probably really waiting for the cap to get set before he sets his plans into motion. I'm sure he already has some strategies worked out depending on where it finally ends up.

Old
06-25-2009, 03:55 PM
HatTrick89

We don't have to worry about losing Parise, he'll be a RFA and hopefully the cap will go up a good bit by then. Martin is making close to 4 million now and probably won't make that much more, partly because of his low offensive totals...I'd say he's due for a 1.5-2 million raise, but he's a type of player I could see Lou giving a 7 or 8 year contract, so maybe he'll only make 1 million more but be signed long term. Parise and Martin will be devils for a long time.

Old
06-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Drewr15

Players Vote to Keep cap close

Looks like the cap won't be moving that much next season...

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/nhl/a...s_vote_to.html

Old
06-25-2009, 04:20 PM
HatTrick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
Looks like the cap won't be moving that much next season...

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/nhl/a...s_vote_to.html

See what I mean? Their not gonna let this thing get out of hand, if the cap goes down to 50 million it will be a disaster, that's why Im sure they'll do everything they can to make sure it doesn't. If it's 56 million this year that's good for us, gives us 16 million to toy with, well more like 9 million assuming we re-sign Zajac and sign Oduya.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:17 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

With the Oduya signing, it's time for me to update my chart from back on page 1. I was off by 250k on the Oduya signing but this shouldn't change to much.

I'll give my other projected salaries & roster spots as well.

bold - denotes signed beyond 09-10 season.
italics - denotes projected signing

Parise (3.125/2) - Zajac (3.0/3) - Langenbrunner (2.8/2)
Rolston (5.063/3) - Elias (6.0/4) - Bergfors (.818/1)
XXX - Zubrus (3.4/4) - Clarkson (.838/1)
Pandolfo (2.5/2) - Pelley (.550/1) - Pikkarainen (.500/1)
Leblond (.500/2)

11 forwards - $29,309,333
8 forwards - $25,888,000

Oduya (3.5/3) - Martin (3.833/1)
Salvador (2.9/3) - XXX
White (3.0/3) - Mottau (.763/1)
Greene (.738/2)

6 defensemen - $14,733,333
4 defensemen - $10,137,500

Brodeur (5.2/3)
XXX

1 goaltender - $5,200,000
1 goaltender - $5,200,000

Total (09-10) - $49,242,666 - 19 players
Total (10-11) - $41,225,500 - 13 players

Cap Room (09-10) - $7,557,334 for 3 players
Cap Room (10-11) - $9,774,500 for 7-8 players*
*projected $51M cap

Last edited by CFD: 07-09-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old
07-01-2009, 01:27 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Updated the my cap summary with the Greene signing. Will do so with every thing that comes along.

Old
07-01-2009, 02:25 PM
crashlanding

OP updated with Greene as well.

Old
07-02-2009, 11:08 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Total (09-10) - $48,742,666 - 18 players
Total (10-11) - $41,225,500 - 13 players

Cap Room (09-10) - $8,057,334 for 4 players
Cap Room (10-11) - $9,774,500 for 8-9 players*
*projected $51M cap
This is what I've been looking for since last night and should be required reading for the Devils fan whiners that are complaining about not making a move. We don't have the room to make a move for a long-term deal! Not if you actually bother to look ahead to '10-11 and most fans don't. It's not like any of these deals are coming off the books next year.

Of that nearly $10 million for ten players, at least $4 million has to account for signing a minimum salary guy. Then you factor in raises for Martin, Clarkson, Bergfors not to mention long-term deals for Parise and Zajac, Lou HAD to stay out of UFA unless someone's willing to come here on a one-year deal.

Old
07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Does anyone know, which contracts are up after this season? I believe one is Paul Martin.

Old
07-02-2009, 11:42 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Does anyone know, which contracts are up after this season? I believe one is Paul Martin.
This is a pretty good site. It is down right now because they are updating all the crap that went on....has cap, salary and terms

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/

Closed Thread