HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sporting News Says the Rangers are on the Rise.

Old
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
frankthefrowner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Actually, they were a lottery team in 2005 and I think they were one spot away from being a lottery team in 2004.

But this mentality of "never was a lottery team and never will be" is why we are not an elite team now nor will we be in the future. This concept has been beaten to death on these boards already, but Sather never completed the rebuilding process which is why we are stuck in mediocrity.
Wasnt every team a lottery team after the lockout? It was just thebetter teams at like a 1 percent chance of winning the lottery.

Anyway we have never been a bottom feeder atleast not in the last decade so there is no reason to think a team with Lunqvist at the helm wont do as well as a team with Dunham at the helm. Im not saying im striving for that mediocrity but to think we wotn be in the playoff hunt is just a pessimistic doomsday scenario.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Pizza

The key for me is the last sentence.

By the end of the season the Rangers were a tougher team to play against.

They have lots of room for improvement. It will be interesting to see how far Torts can take that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:30 AM
gravytrain6t

I definitely don't see this team being a lottery team. How? Because we lost Naslund? The team is going to respect John Tortorella. Tom Renney wasn't respected enough. The team gave up on him and his system and it took Sather too long to finally pull the plug. We wouldn't of made it to game 7 against the Caps last season if "Torts" didn't rescue this listless group of players. And at least now, Tortorella is much more acquainted with the players and vice versa. I don't see any reason not to think the younger players as well as the whole team will be improved. Just having so much more life in them alone will be like a jolt to the system. Plus, having a full season of Avery I think will help just as well.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:36 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The key for me is the last sentence.

By the end of the season the Rangers were a tougher team to play against.

They have lots of room for improvement. It will be interesting to see how far Torts can take that.
And if Zherdev is serious about wanting to get better under Tortorella and he's committed to staying here, that's a huge plus. And if they resign Antropov, which i think they should. There's two guy's right there who may be able to score between 25 to 35 goals a piece. I think Callahan can reach 25 along with both Drury and possibly Avery.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

They'll get better only because they can't get much worse and there are some bright spots on the horizon. Don't F it up by trading them Slats.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 03:29 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
This is a fact. If the Rangers can get themselves a good powerplay they'd be a completely different team.
In my opinion, your logic is backwards. You don't make a good power play out of guys who aren't gifted offensively. You need those players to make a good power play. Ingredients are more important than execution in this case. By far.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 03:32 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
And if Zherdev is serious about wanting to get better under Tortorella and he's committed to staying here, that's a huge plus. And if they resign Antropov, which i think they should. There's two guy's right there who may be able to score between 25 to 35 goals a piece. I think Callahan can reach 25 along with both Drury and possibly Avery.
After the stench that Zherdev delivered in the Playoffs I am not as hopeful as some others about him. At least he is still young and may improve but the aim is to get players who step up in big spots not disappear.

Antropov is the ultimate sometimes player. There is nothing I detest more than players who look good from time to time and then disappear for very long stretches. To date, that is the definition of Antropov's career. Hardly the type of guy I think the team should be depending upon.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 05:06 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I think there is a lot to be excited about for us fans, and a lot to be very worried about.

The thing is, this team has some of the pieces in place to win a cup. Lundqvist MIGHT be the best goalie this team has ever had (though I know some will disagree)...in any case, he is certainly a goalie that a contending team would love to have.
We also have some blossoming youth. Perhaps none of them are on the star level, but Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal and some others have already made a name for themselves. Callahan really starterd to grow at the end of the season, and Dubinsk didn't really endure a sophomore slump to the extent that some players do. He didn't have a great season, but I'll take it, and I think he can build on that. 60 points this year is definitely a possibility.
Then we have some exciting youngsters in the farm. Signing Gilroy could have been a HUGE steal, and if not, no biggy. Yes, there is that cap hit, but the reward potential far outweighs the risk potential, he is basically house money. Grachev looks like he is our most exciting prospect from an offensive standpoint, though some still have their reservations, and rightfully so. Anisimov has made tremendous progress and looks like he'll be with the team next year, which is great. Then there's Del Zotto, who is looking like a real nice defender, and Sanguinetti, though there are question marks about his defense. Either way, those two guys have some nice potential.

Now, that being said, we've got some crippling contracts in Redden, Drury and Gomez. None of these players are terrible players, but considering their contracts, it's brutal. Gomez NEEDS a sniper or his value is highly diminished. I do however like his speed and ability to skate the puck, which no one else seems to like to do. Drury is Drury, he is a pretty good second line center who if he was making half of what he was we'd all love him. The fact that Zherdev didn't have a terrific season last year, a contract season, may actually have been a blessing in disguise. Imagine if Zherdev potted 40 goals or something like that and played terrific...he would be asking for like $6m or more. But, because of a subpar season, perhaps he'll sign cheaper. If not, maybe someone will throw an offer sheet at him and we'll get some first round picks. If he bolts for Russia, well that sucks, but so be it, no sense crying over spilled milk. I am still holding out hope that he'll resign for cheaper than what he could be worth at some point, and have a good season under Torts, but I'm very aware that might be wishful thinking, and highly unlikely. Oh well, I can hope.

We have some pieces in place. Naslund's retirement frees up some cap space, but I'm just praying we don't ink Knuble to a deal longer than 1 year which will tie up cap. If we sign Knuble for one year I'll be a little ambivalent, but at least he'll be coming off the books in the offseason. If I were heading this team, I would try to clear as much cap space as possible for next season in order to sign Kovalchuk, a player who could transform this team and is a sure fire superstar. If he gets traded and resigns with that team prior to free agency, well then at least we have some options and aren't hamstrung with no ability to maneuver.

In any case, we have some big time deficiencies. But, we also are not as horrible as some believe. Torts could be a great boost to this team, though players will have to buy in, and even that being said, it really is up to the players, not the guy on the bench. I'm cautiously optimistic, and I am in no way saying we are about to go on a cup run, but we do have some pieces in place for success.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 05:14 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Sam Rosen today on NHL live says he thinks Del Zotto and Grachev are going to get a very long look at training camp.

He thinks that Heatley being traded is going to open the gates and allow for one of our big 4 contracts to be moved.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Sam Rosen today on NHL live says he thinks Del Zotto and Grachev are going to get a very long look at training camp.

He thinks that Heatley being traded is going to open the gates and allow for one of our big 4 contracts to be moved.
Let us pray...

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 07:21 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Since you are so optimistic about next season you certainly must feel they are at the very least winning two rounds with an upside of winning it all. Else, even the most optimistic here will consider it to be a step sideways or backwards.

Looking forward to what excuses will pop up from the optimists if this successful scenario does not play out.
I don't know how the playoffs will turn out, by then teams make trades to boost themselves. But I do think the team will not be fighting for a playoffs spot all season like we did the 2nd half of this year. Our defense and goaltending is above average and this season we should definitely see more goals (on the new system but also the fact our young players should hopefully be getting better so they will produce more). Of course i'd like to see what happens between July-Sept still..

I'll answer the playoff question when March comes around

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post

I really really hope so to both things, although I really really hope players like Byers, Anisimov, Potter, Sauer, Sangs and Gilroy all get long looks too! I wouldnt mind seeing a very young team next year if I knew that the team was going in the right dirction again.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote