HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In other news...

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
In other news...

Buffalo clings on with a beating of the Penguins, who have distanced themselves from the pack somewhat with that loss, coupled with a Columbus win. The Devils blow out the Thrashers 5-0 in what could be the start of the Devils' climb, who I think haven't been playing great of late and need to prime themselves for the playoffs. Edmonton wins again, beating LA, and I believe jumping ahead of St. Louis, who I believe have a game in hand. And finally, the 'Yotes lose once again, putting pressure on the Rangers, who likely have little chance against the Flyers. Oh, and Ekman scored his 21st for the Sharks. Great trade by Sather to get him for Taylor...horrible job after that.

Old
03-27-2004, 08:59 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Oh, and Ekman scored his 21st for the Sharks. Great trade by Sather to get him for Taylor...horrible job after that.
But consider Ekman's contract demands. I think we all agree that we wouldn't want the organization getting a reputation of overpaying for players.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:09 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
But consider Ekman's contract demands. I think we all agree that we wouldn't want the organization getting a reputation of overpaying for players.
we already had him under contract when we traded him, he was in hartford at the time...

Old
03-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
we already had him under contract when we traded him, he was in hartford at the time...
I think you're slightly off just a tad on the true point of the post.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

yeah we should just overpay everybody. YEAh that sounds like a great idea. hey Dawes wants a 3 year 2.4 million dolar contract to sign. Damn sather should give him more money. Umberger has looked awful in hartford and has pissed off countless players down there. WTF we should give him whatever he wants no matter what.
did you guys watch hartford last season Ekmun wasn't that good down there. But hey what does that matter

Old
03-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
yeah we should just overpay everybody. YEAh that sounds like a great idea. hey Dawes wants a 3 year 2.4 million dolar contract to sign. Damn sather should give him more money. Umberger has looked awful in hartford and has pissed off countless players down there. WTF we should give him whatever he wants no matter what.
did you guys watch hartford last season Ekmun wasn't that good down there. But hey what does that matter
Wasn't that good in Hartford? 30 goals, 36 assists, 66 points in 57 games isn't that good?

What amazes me about Ekman this year isn't his 21 goals. It isn't his 29 assists. It's his +25 rating.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
He was the team's leading scorer.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
By the way, Ekman makes a whopping $575,000 a year in San Jose.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
He was the team's leading scorer.
hmm and derek armstron was the year before and he is a great nhl player.

those damn dallas stars should never have traded tony hrkac he lead the ahl in scoring throughout the 90's.

Jody Gage he was a great ahl player but hey what do the sabres know about prospects.

come on Wiseman who btw is the hartford leading scorer and is younger had looked great in hartford this season. much better than ekman ever looked. the point is ekman was a head case and showed nothing in training camp last season. (hey why should that be important)

Old
03-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Fletch

SoS...

with the lack of left wingers last season, Ekman deserved an NHL shot, at the very minimum. He dressed for zero Rangers games. He came to the Rangers after scoring 9 goals in 43 games as a 24 year old. Not a Hull-like clip, but interesting enough. He played very well in Hartford, and at least deserved a chance last season to see what he had. I liked what I saw in limited action and thought he may fit on Nedved left, personally. At $575K, he's making as much as Dale. Those two are roughly the same age, and in nearly similar situations. Sather's agenda from the get-go was to just rid himself of Taylor's salary so he can pay somone else and still be able to balance the books. Unless Ekman was averaging more than a poit-per-game and knocking everybody's socks off, he wasn't part of the plan. He was a cheap bet for him.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
with the lack of left wingers last season, Ekman deserved an NHL shot, at the very minimum. He dressed for zero Rangers games. He came to the Rangers after scoring 9 goals in 43 games as a 24 year old. Not a Hull-like clip, but interesting enough. He played very well in Hartford, and at least deserved a chance last season to see what he had. I liked what I saw in limited action and thought he may fit on Nedved left, personally. At $575K, he's making as much as Dale. Those two are roughly the same age, and in nearly similar situations. Sather's agenda from the get-go was to just rid himself of Taylor's salary so he can pay somone else and still be able to balance the books. Unless Ekman was averaging more than a poit-per-game and knocking everybody's socks off, he wasn't part of the plan. He was a cheap bet for him.
thats a fair point but i think the agenda of the organization at the time was different. at this point its like crying over spilled milk. sather didn't let ekman walk he got a pretty good player younger player in wiseman. honestly was anybody crying over the ekman deal when it was made? its doubtful

Old
03-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
come on Wiseman who btw is the hartford leading scorer and is younger had looked great in hartford this season.
I agree, and I'm happy with Weisman. In fact, I'm really not even that concerned that Ekman is gone because we got a quality young player in return.

What does bother me is that Ekman lead the way in HFD all year and never got a call-up. How is it that a team who's biggest weapon on the left side is Matthew Barnaby playing out of positon wouldn't want to get a look at the LW'er that's leading their AHL affiliate in scoring? Plus, you get a look at a pending UFA and see if he's worth resigning. Seems like common sense to me. Could have saved us from Jan Hlavac, round 2, as well.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Dorthmall

Send a message via AIM to Dorthmall
Quote:
hmm and derek armstron was the year before and he is a great nhl player.
35 points in 55 games, doesn't sound like bad stats.

Kings fans seem to like him too:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ight=armstrong

Old
03-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthmall
yeah the line for armstrong was so bad he had to call the cops to get the GMs off his lawn. armstrong has played great but if better kings players didn't get injured he wouldn't be playing for them in the first place.

Old
03-27-2004, 11:45 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
I think you're slightly off just a tad on the true point of the post.
bah sarcasm

Old
03-27-2004, 11:47 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I agree, and I'm happy with Weisman. In fact, I'm really not even that concerned that Ekman is gone because we got a quality young player in return.

What does bother me is that Ekman lead the way in HFD all year and never got a call-up. How is it that a team who's biggest weapon on the left side is Matthew Barnaby playing out of positon wouldn't want to get a look at the LW'er that's leading their AHL affiliate in scoring? Plus, you get a look at a pending UFA and see if he's worth resigning. Seems like common sense to me. Could have saved us from Jan Hlavac, round 2, as well.
its concerning Wiseman has not even gotten a look see.. i think the rangers dont feel he is apart of our future considering he is almost 24, has done nothing in hartford not to deserve a call up, even more during this rebuild time, and their history with a similar situation like Ekman

Closed Thread