HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adam Mair: Public ********* #1

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2004, 09:01 PM
  #1
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Adam Mair: Public Bad Word #1

Don't know if it was the slash on Souray's left wrist by Mair that did it, or if it was the hit from behind by Peters (which seemed legal) which injured Souray's left wrist again. The slash looks like it was just above the glove and Souray also fell hard forward and braced the fall with his gloves.

As he was falling forward from the hit by Peters he took his stick and tried to decapitate Mair. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to succeed.

When he got up, he was favoring his wrist in a big way.

I wish Dougie Gilmour or Chris Chelios were on this team sometimes... but what do you expect for a former Maple Leaf. Typical.

Somebody has to take this guy's knee out, no question.


Last edited by tinyzombies: 03-25-2004 at 09:09 PM.
tinyzombies is online now  
Old
03-25-2004, 09:11 PM
  #2
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Don't know if it was the slash on Souray's left wrist by Mair that did it, or if it was the hit from behind by Peters (which seemed legal) which injured Souray's left wrist again. The slash looks like it was just above the glove and Souray also fell hard forward and braced the fall with his gloves.

As he was falling forward from the hit by Peters he took his stick and tried to decapitate Mair. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to succeed.

When he got up, he was favoring his wrist in a big way.

I wish Dougie Gilmour or Chris Chelios were on this team sometimes... but what do you expect for a former Maple Leaf. Typical.

Somebody has to take this guy's knee out, no question.
Hits from behind are by definition illegal! My beef is that Souray didn't even have the puck.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 09:14 PM
  #3
electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Back from Italy
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
but what do you expect for a former Maple Leaf.
Like Gilmour?

electric is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 09:17 PM
  #4
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
In my experience, Mair is a similar player to Begin and Dowd. A high energy guy who hits everything that moves but comes up a little short in the skills dept. A useful player to have around, but definately not a dirty one.

Habbadasher is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 09:27 PM
  #5
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli
In my experience, Mair is a similar player to Begin and Dowd. A high energy guy who hits everything that moves but comes up a little short in the skills dept. A useful player to have around, but definately not a dirty one.
You need to see the replay to see that he went after Souray's wrist, then you'll be asking for his head like I am.

tinyzombies is online now  
Old
03-25-2004, 09:39 PM
  #6
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Somebody has to take this guy's knee out, no question.
Can you see the irony in your post?

Habs is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 09:42 PM
  #7
Killer 93
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
but what do you expect for a former Maple Leaf. Typical.
Yes, Mair played less than 40 games here like 3 or 4 years ago, yet somehow the Maple Leafs are responsible for him injuring Souray. That explains his behaviour very well.

Killer 93 is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 09:59 PM
  #8
Christ
Registered User
 
Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,883
vCash: 500
I wish Dougie Gilmour or Chris Chelios were on this team sometimes... but what do you expect for a former Maple Leaf. Typical.

Gilmour was a former Leaf, you don't seem to have a problem with him.

Christ is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 10:13 PM
  #9
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
Can you see the irony in your post?
I do see the irony. The irony is that we haven't won the cup in 10 years.

Maybe Ken Dryden is right. Maybe his team isn't full of ********. But I thought he cared...


Last edited by tinyzombies: 03-25-2004 at 10:24 PM.
tinyzombies is online now  
Old
03-26-2004, 10:27 AM
  #10
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
One bad play does not make a dirty player.

Habbadasher is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 10:59 AM
  #11
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli
One bad play does not make a dirty player.
What?

tinyzombies is online now  
Old
03-26-2004, 12:28 PM
  #12
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
This post makes it clear to me that Adam Mair is doing his job in Buffalo.

Fan-of-#9 is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 12:40 PM
  #13
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,175
vCash: 500
I don't know why but when I read the title of this thread Adam Mair Public #1 sounds to me more like Adam's Hair Pubic #1

VAN-HAB is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 01:40 PM
  #14
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I wish Dougie Gilmour or Chris Chelios were on this team sometimes... but what do you expect for a former Maple Leaf. Typical.

Somebody has to take this guy's knee out, no question.
Okay, I know the Leafs are our nemesis and biggest rival, but I can't see how they have anything to do with what happened on the ice. True, it's fun to blame everything on them, but only in the same amusing way that South Park blames everything on Canada. There are a lot of former Leafs out there who have been classy players and haven't done anything particularly stupid, and if I bring up Russ Courtnall, I would hope that any Leaf fans reading this don't gag too much as they harken back to the trade.

To the second part of your statement that I've quoted, taking Mair's knee out, I find it somewhat distasteful. Maybe Mair went at Souray with the express intention of hacking him off at the wrist, but even were that so, retribution in the form of a violent act that removes said player from the game doesn't solve anything, all it does is encourage animosity between the clubs and leave more potential for injuries in the future. I think we've seen more than enough injuries as a result of retribution this year, and even the most ardent fans are probably getting sick of it all.

If you are going to blame the Leafs for anything, then look higher than the players at the coach who has complained so much and so often that you begin to wonder if the refs aren't just plain tired of hearing it so they call less during games. If I'm a ref, then the lack of respect I get from guys like Quinn would have me completely fed up. Nothing the refs do is ever right - no one says, "Hey, great call," to them ever. There are no congratulatory notes on how they handled things, no general public thanks from the league for their work. I'm of the opinion that people do a better job when they know it's appreciated. At least blaming the Leafs for fostering resentment against the refs seems more realistic as they're very public about those beliefs.

ACF

Guy! is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 06:36 PM
  #15
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Okay, I know the Leafs are our nemesis and biggest rival, but I can't see how they have anything to do with what happened on the ice. True, it's fun to blame everything on them, but only in the same amusing way that South Park blames everything on Canada. There are a lot of former Leafs out there who have been classy players and haven't done anything particularly stupid, and if I bring up Russ Courtnall, I would hope that any Leaf fans reading this don't gag too much as they harken back to the trade.

To the second part of your statement that I've quoted, taking Mair's knee out, I find it somewhat distasteful. Maybe Mair went at Souray with the express intention of hacking him off at the wrist, but even were that so, retribution in the form of a violent act that removes said player from the game doesn't solve anything, all it does is encourage animosity between the clubs and leave more potential for injuries in the future. I think we've seen more than enough injuries as a result of retribution this year, and even the most ardent fans are probably getting sick of it all.

If you are going to blame the Leafs for anything, then look higher than the players at the coach who has complained so much and so often that you begin to wonder if the refs aren't just plain tired of hearing it so they call less during games. If I'm a ref, then the lack of respect I get from guys like Quinn would have me completely fed up. Nothing the refs do is ever right - no one says, "Hey, great call," to them ever. There are no congratulatory notes on how they handled things, no general public thanks from the league for their work. I'm of the opinion that people do a better job when they know it's appreciated. At least blaming the Leafs for fostering resentment against the refs seems more realistic as they're very public about those beliefs.

ACF

I'm not blaming the Leafs in the sense that it is there fault, but by developing players the way they do, they do breed this type of player in the league and there is no question that Mair learned his stock and trade in Toronto.

That said, I wish we had a similar guy who would go out and make the other team pay for a dirty cheapshot like that. Everyone knows all the trouble Souray has gone through with his wrist and to go after it so blatantly like he did is inexcusable. If I were on that team, I would definitely have taken his knee out much like Gilmour tried to do to Varada after Varada kneed Theo in the head in Buffalo.

I don't care about starting animosity, they are the ones who started the animosity and I don't go for all this Ken Dryden Hand-wringing about violence in the game, when his team is the main culprit of a lot of that violence.

I just don't see why Mair would do it. They aren't going to catch us in the standings and we're not playing them in the playoffs (if they make it), so what's the point?

People talk about getting fighting out of the game and increasing penalties for highsticking and slashing, but then stuff like this happens and the Moore elbow to Naslund's head happens and you HAVE TO retaliate or your other players are fair game. What Bertuzzi did was wrong because he didn't do it properly, but Moore definitely had it coming.

Ah, for the days of Chris Chelios, Claude Lemieux, Larry Robinson... guys that would make you PAY.

tinyzombies is online now  
Old
03-26-2004, 07:20 PM
  #16
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Mair is a tough player and has been since his Jr. days. I'm sure the Leafs didn't give him a secret handshake and decoder ring in exchange for a future shot on a Hab D man. I saw the play. I thought it was incidental contact after the Peters hit. For all we know, he could have landed awkwardly. The Robinson's of the league wouldn't chase a guy around for something like that. If Mair tried to get between Larry and the boards, then he would have paid. That's how real hockey players do it.

mcphee is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 07:29 PM
  #17
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Mair is a tough player and has been since his Jr. days. I'm sure the Leafs didn't give him a secret handshake and decoder ring in exchange for a future shot on a Hab D man. I saw the play. I thought it was incidental contact after the Peters hit. For all we know, he could have landed awkwardly. The Robinson's of the league wouldn't chase a guy around for something like that. If Mair tried to get between Larry and the boards, then he would have paid. That's how real hockey players do it.
It happened before the Peters hit, that's why as Souray was getting hit from behind by Peters, he swung his stick and hit Mair in the head with it. You need Tivo, eh?

tinyzombies is online now  
Old
03-26-2004, 07:34 PM
  #18
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
It happened before the Peters hit, that's why as Souray was getting hit from behind by Peters, he swung his stick and hit Mair in the head with it. You need Tivo, eh?
I thought Souray and Mair's sticks both came up when he fell forward, if Mair slashed him before the check, wouldn't it have been a post game topic ? What the hell is Tivo anyways, its one of those terms I hear and have no idea about.

mcphee is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 08:39 PM
  #19
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I thought Souray and Mair's sticks both came up when he fell forward, if Mair slashed him before the check, wouldn't it have been a post game topic ? What the hell is Tivo anyways, its one of those terms I hear and have no idea about.
Tivo is a DVR.

Mair slashed him on the wrist, then kind of floated by to Souray's left, then Peters ran Souray from behind and as Souray was falling forward, he took his stick and smashed it into Mair's head (I think he hit him in the helmet). Then Souray landed on his gloves very hard.

He didn't show any reaction after the slash, so you could be right, but he didn't show much reaction after he fell either, until he got up.

Regardless, Mair went after his wrist.

tinyzombies is online now  
Old
03-26-2004, 10:04 PM
  #20
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
I concur. Mair definately slashed Souray's wrist. And if you read the game thread McPhee I asked for Langdon to go after Mair. Was the only one caring at the time though...

Habsolution is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 12:31 AM
  #21
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
My inarticulate point was, it could have easily been an accident. How many high sticks happen in a game? These are not all dirty plays by dirty players, just accidents. I have seen slashes like that many times, I am sure you have to. Remember Mario had his wrist broken by such a slash. Accidents happen is my only point.

A player needs to have a history of dirty plays before you can brand him a dirty player. Mair has no such history.

Habbadasher is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 12:43 AM
  #22
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amerks #ROC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
I concur. Mair definately slashed Souray's wrist. And if you read the game thread McPhee I asked for Langdon to go after Mair. Was the only one caring at the time though...
I'm sure Mair thought "Gee, that's Sheldon Souray, and his left/right whatever wrist is bad, so I am specifically going to slash that one because I want to hurt him." Seriously, you guys are over analyzing things a little too much. Souray got smacked by Peters and hurt his wrist. It will heal.

I'm sure Langdon would have done an effective job of wrestling Mair to death as well.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 01:21 AM
  #23
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Ok, two points to respond.

1. Mair is over 120 PIM every year. He is not a clean player.

2. He clearly had the intent to go for the wrist because he hacked him up high when he could have taken the stick.

3. Souray obviously thought he did it on purpose, that's why he tried to take his head off with his stick.

There's nothing to analyze when it's on videotape. Langden would eat Mair for breakfast and so would Souray.

tinyzombies is online now  
Old
03-27-2004, 01:25 AM
  #24
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
I'm sure Mair thought "Gee, that's Sheldon Souray, and his left/right whatever wrist is bad, so I am specifically going to slash that one because I want to hurt him." Seriously, you guys are over analyzing things a little too much.
Souray was out for 2 years because of that wrist. Everyone in the league knows that. I'm not saying his intent before the game was to take Souray out but if I were a NHL player I'd not go out there and slash Yzerman on the knee, Pronger and Souray on any wrists (to be on the safe side). Bottom line is Mair slashed Souray on the wrist. How do I overanalyse things when my only comment was that I thought Langdon should have went after Mair during the game thread ?

BTW it wasn't the only reason why I wanted Langdon to go after him. He was a freaking nuisance all night long and was allowed to do as he pleased during the whole game which shouldn't have happened. We have Langdon in there for that very reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
Souray got smacked by Peters and hurt his wrist. It will heal.
Great ! Another doctor...

Are you by any chance the surgeon who did countless surgeries on his wrist ? Can you give us more details ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
I'm sure Langdon would have done an effective job of wrestling Mair to death as well.
Yeah well maybe taking him out with him in the box would have kept him from scoring the GWG ?

Oh by the way... you can go back where you came from.


Last edited by Habsolution: 03-27-2004 at 01:31 AM.
Habsolution is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 01:30 AM
  #25
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli
My inarticulate point was, it could have easily been an accident. How many high sticks happen in a game? These are not all dirty plays by dirty players, just accidents. I have seen slashes like that many times, I am sure you have to. Remember Mario had his wrist broken by such a slash. Accidents happen is my only point.

A player needs to have a history of dirty plays before you can brand him a dirty player. Mair has no such history.
If you were a NHL player would you go out there and slash Pronger on a wrist ? Ditto for Yzerman's knees ?

I can already read the replies about things happening in the heat of the moment...

Habsolution is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.