HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

JBo for Lupul + Jones (trade & sign)

Old
06-18-2009, 06:00 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
But if the Panthers don't like either player, all they are really doing is wasting $7M in cap space. All so they can say "Hey, we got something for J-Bo!" That's just asinine.
and you know FLA isn't interested in Lupul and Carle because you're the GM?

If you're the GM then what drugs were you on when it was the deadline and you didnt trade Bouwmeester then where you could have gotten a hell of a lot more then what you'll be getting now?

Last edited by RJ8812*: 06-18-2009 at 06:10 PM.
RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:01 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devsfan309 View Post

U cant be serious? this is awful from Florida's point of view. they get nothing from this.
not suppose to help the panthers--just clear cap space for the flyers. The poster looked at contracts and went--hey--these two guys mkae that and Jaybo wants this--so let trade them for each other

flyers need to add some sugar to the deal to make it work(IE a first rounder or top prospect) Panthers are not going to do any favours for the flyers

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
of course not

but I'm willing to bet they dont sign any of the top free agents
No, don't think they do, either. However, that goes back to us not knowing who was interested and the Panthers not wanting to spend the money for some of these guys.

FanHabtic

Quote:

If you're the GM then what drugs were you on when it was the deadline and you didnt trade Bouwmeester then where you could have gotten a hell of a lot more then what you'll be getting now?
They were tied with the Habs for 8th spot. They tried to make the playoffs. Why? Because they needed the playoff revenue and wanted to electrify the fan base by making the playoffs. Also, had they made the playoffs they might have had a chance of holding onto Bouwmeester.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:

I don't know if they're interested or not. If they are, then we can all throw a J-Bo parade in Philly.

And Martin did at the deadline what 98% of GM's do at the deadline. He kept his best player and tried to make the playoffs. He knew the risks, and it is what it is. I don't think Sexton is now going to compound the problem by tying up $7M in cap space for Lupul and Jones. As a Flyers fan, I hope I'm wrong.

Now let me ask you this: If you're the GM, do you trade J-Bo's rights for Lupul and Jones and their $7M cap hits? Or do you take whatever pick you can get and take your chances in free agency?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:04 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
They were tied with the Habs for 8th spot. They tried to make the playoffs. Why? Because they needed the playoff revenue and wanted to electrify the fan base by making the playoffs. Also, had they made the playoffs they might have had a chance of holding onto Bouwmeester.
that's true and i guess in hindsight you can say it was a bad move not to trade him

Old
06-18-2009, 06:05 PM
mercury

Quote:
I don't know if they're interested or not. If they are, then we can all throw a J-Bo parade in Philly.

And Martin did at the deadline what 98% of GM's do at the deadline. He kept his best player and tried to make the playoffs. He knew the risks, and it is what it is. I don't Sexton is now going to compound the problem by tying up $7M in cap space for Lupul and Jones. As a Flyers fan, I hope I'm wrong.

Now let me ask you this: If you're the GM, do you trade J-Bo's rights for Lupul and Jones and their $7M cap hits? Or do you take whatever pick you can get and take your chances in free agency?

I might take either Lupul or Carle and then look at free agency for either forward or the d-man spot that J-Bo had occupied, depending on the return. I doubt they'd take Jones. I know I wouldn't.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:

And Martin did at the deadline what 98% of GM's do at the deadline. He kept his best player and tried to make the playoffs. He knew the risks, and it is what it is. I don't think Sexton is now going to compound the problem by tying up $7M in cap space for Lupul and Jones. As a Flyers fan, I hope I'm wrong.

I would listen to other offers obviously....

but it wouldnt be Lupul & Jones, it would be Lupul and Carle that would interest me

Old
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
that's true and i guess in hindsight you can say it was a bad move not to trade him
Again, the most that came out Florida was offered was Mason Raymond and a pick. Not a bad return, but how does that help their playoff chances?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:06 PM
brian822

Quote:

Lupul put with the right linemates can be a 30+ goal scorer in my opinion. I would seriously consider him Jones, no I wouldnt. Then again his contract is up after this year. Also it would depend on what the FA market is going to look like.

brian822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:09 PM
FanHabtic

Panthers might take Lupul but definitely not Jones or Carle. What they need is a first line centerman but there is no way Briere would waive his NTC to play for the Panthers. That would be kinda insulting for Homer to ask him... lol

Old
06-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I would listen to other offers obviously....

but it wouldnt be Lupul & Jones, it would be Lupul and Carle that would interest me
And that's fair. But if their actual GM isn't interested in either player (and neither of us know if that is true or not), why would they take on their cap hits so we could have the cap room to take on their best player?

All I'm saying is that there is a flip-side to this coin, and its not always as simple as saying "at least they get something for him".

Old
06-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Due to the beggars not being choosers front, I didn't mention my true desire...Coburn.

If it wasn't for the cap I would probably move Coburn straight up for him!

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian822 View Post
Lupul put with the right linemates can be a 30+ goal scorer in my opinion. I would seriously consider him Jones, no I wouldnt. Then again his contract is up after this year. Also it would depend on what the FA market is going to look like.
Look, I like Lupul. I understand what you're saying. But if Florida doesn't like Lupul (and who knows if they do or not), they aren't going to take on his cap hit just to say they got something for J-Bo. They will just use J-Bo's money elsewhere.

Old
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
And that's fair. But if their actual GM isn't interested in either player (and neither of us know if that is true or not), why would they take on their cap hits so we could have the cap room to take on their best player?

All I'm saying is that there is a flip-side to this coin, and its not always as simple as saying "at least they get something for him".
because this is just a fan site to speculate about what COULD happen?

Old
06-18-2009, 06:13 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

If it wasn't for the cap I would probably move Coburn straight up for him!

I think we all would (assuming J-Bo were signed).

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:14 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
It could but its not logical.

Old
06-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Heimy

Counter proposal

To Fla: Briere and JVR

To Philly: Bo's rights

JVR comes to Florida as incentive to accept Briere's contract while opening up the cap space for Philly to sign Bo.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:15 PM
brian822

Quote:
Look, I like Lupul. I understand what you're saying. But if Florida doesn't like Lupul (and who knows if they do or not), they aren't going to take on his cap hit just to say they got something for J-Bo. They will just use J-Bo's money elsewhere.
You're right we both don't know if FLA is interested in Lupul. I was answering your question about whether I would do that trade. They're not going to just trade for someone for the sake of saying we got something for him.

brian822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:15 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
Counter proposal

JVR comes to Florida as incentive to accept Briere's contract while opening up the cap space for Philly to sign Bo.
not happening

Old
06-18-2009, 06:16 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Counter proposal

That would work if JBO pre-agrees to sign with the Flyers IMO.

Old
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Yea, and I'm speculating that this doesn't work for the Panthers. All of these posters saying that Florida should "get something", and take on these contracts of Lupul or Carle or Jones, are not taking into account the Panthers might not want these players.

I mean, I have an old car I'd like to sell, rather than having to take it to a junkyard. But so far, the only offer I've had for it is a flaming bag of poop. So I think I'm just gonna let the junkyard have it, ya know?

Old
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
It could but its not logical.
and neither is 95% of the other trade talk on this board, and this one is far from the worst

Old
Biggzy*

Quote:
Counter proposal

Yes please.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian822 View Post
You're right we both don't know if FLA is interested in Lupul. I was answering your question about whether I would do that trade. They're not going to just trade for someone for the sake of saying we got something for him.
That's all I'm saying. I was just responding to the "get anything you can for him" crowd, as if its that simple in a salary cap world.