HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers - Flyers

Old
06-19-2009, 09:33 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Rangers - Flyers

Proposal: Rangers trade Marc Staal to Flyers for Claude Giroux.

Third and final chapter of this discussion between co-workers.
1. Value of Claude Giroux to Flyers - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=652351
2. Marc Staal for 2nd overall pick - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=652526

To end this set of back and forth between myself, a Rangers fan, and a fellow hockey fan co-worker, a Flyers fan, I pose this question to the masses.

Rationale: The Rangers are looking for scoring and have defense, the Flyers are looking for defense and have scoring. Match made in Heaven except that the teams don't quite like eachother.

From a salary cap standpoint, I feel the deal works out financially. Staal's deal ends this year, but he is an RFA, and the Flyers would have Randy Jones coming off the books next year. The Rangers would clearly appreciate scoring with a low associated cap figure for a few years.

In order to avoid similar confusion to what I've seen in the other 2 related threads:
NOTE: I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS TRADE WILL EVER HAPPEN AND IT IS SIMPLY A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION POSED IN REGARD TO THE VALUES OF THE PLAYERS INVOLVED. PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME "WHY WOULD THE FLYERS DO THIS?" OR "WHY WOULD THE RANGERS DO THIS?"

Thank you.

- Just thought this would be appropriate for this discussion.

Last edited by captain9nyr: 06-19-2009 at 10:07 AM.
captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:07 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Flyers wouldn't do it because Staal tops out at a 30-40 point defenseman and I'm being generous with that. He just isn't an offensive type of player, although he is going to be a prime shutdown defenseman. Giroux on the other hand is going to be special. I think a lot of people are starting to see it, and there is no reason to let Claude go, especially when we don't know what he's capable of over a full season. I would also be almost positive that this move would bite Philly in the ass long term.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Gags1288

I actually think that would be a pretty good deal for both teams. The Flyers need to add a top tier defenseman and the Rangers need to improve offensively. Giroux would very likely be the best forward on the Rangers starting next season and Staal could step in and solidify the Flyers top 4, possibly re-uniting with former WJC d partner Ryan Parent.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I think the value is relatively even. As a Flyers fan, I would not want to lose Giroux and as a Rangers fan, I would not want to lose Staal.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:21 AM
SomE

Flyers have a better chance of doing it than the Rangers.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:22 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

oooh, that is tempting. Giroux is going to be something special, but damn, Staal is pretty special in his own right as well. He's a guy who could really help solidify the top four, can play in any situation and is only 22 and has some good size. A future top five of Carle, Coburn, Parent, Sbisa and Staal? That might just be too good......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Garbage Goal

Pretty good proposal I think. Only road-block is that neither team would want to get rid of their respective player because each is so special. I'd have to chew it over to make a decision.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Fair value. I like Giroux and might do this if he was more of a finisher, but right now Staal is more valuable to NY.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Claude Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Fair value. I like Giroux and might do this if he was more of a finisher, but right now Staal is more valuable to NY.
I don't know, the NYR really need offense, and although losing Staal would hurt, you still have Lundqvist in goal. I think it's close to even, but we don't want to give up Giroux, and Rangers fans don't want to give up Staal.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Well Eric Staal has his cup. Jordan Staal has his cup.......hmmm......

Sorry Claude, sign me up.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:58 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I don't know, the NYR really need offense, and although losing Staal would hurt, you still have Lundqvist in goal. I think it's close to even, but we don't want to give up Giroux, and Rangers fans don't want to give up Staal.
I think it's pretty fair value, but I'm not sure the Rangers should do it. The Rangers defensive depth is mostly untested at the NHL level, and they really don't have another shutdown type.

The Flyers on the other hand have plenty of scoring at the NHL level, making Giroux more replaceable.

It's tempting, but I think I would pass if I'm the Rangers.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Sneekypete

Wow a good offer. It fills a major need for both teams.
I am a big CG supporter and I think Staal may be a top 10 dman as soon as next year. Staal and Giroux both have studd written all over them

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 12:14 PM
ecemleafs

value is very similar but neither team do it.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Kalamity

Good, sensible proposal. As a Flyers fan, I would NOT want to lose Giroux. I think he'll end up being our best player ina few years. Better than Richards and Carter. Stall will also be a bonafide star. I just wouldn't want to lose Giroux.

Kalamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 12:36 PM
AK

Staal is really, really good. Giroux might be really, really good.

Then take into account that the Flyers need defense more than they need a fourth top six center, and I think this makes some sense for them.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 12:37 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
hell, i'd rather deal JVR for staal. it is really tempting to pick up staal though. bear in mind that acquiring staal would make the flyers' defense very young (outside of timonen and whatever UFA we pick up this summer).

EDIT: completely forgot to say that this is a deal i'd probably do.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 12:54 PM
mercury

The value is about right there, but we'll need Giroux's offense as some of our older guys start to leave the team (Knuble and possibly Gagne).

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 05:23 PM
ELab2

eh I don't think I'd do this. Giroux is going to be something special and I wouldn't trade that to a rival even if I'd love to have Staal. Value is fine though

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Duponttime*

Any trade involving Marc Staal is beyond stupid from the Rangers point of view. You just don't trade a kid that is on pace to be a franchise, defensive defenseman. Giroux is an exciting player. His value is insignificant compared to Staal.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 06:34 PM
BrindamoursNose

The Rags and Flyers aren't trading with each other if they are both competing for the Cup.

It's that simple.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 07:06 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

This might be one of the best proposals Ive ever seen on HF value-wise. As a Rangers fan the offer is extremely tempting and has me leaning one way only to lean the other way 5 mins later. Can't go wrong with either imo, but ultimately I would do this. It fills a need for both teams, period.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:09 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Value wise, it's fair... but because of Staal's value to the Rangers, that of a #1 defenseman (which he is), they won't even think about trading Staal unless they're packaging him for a guy like Kovalchuk in return.

Not a bad deal, but the circumstances say no from a Ranger perspective.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Fitz413

I wouldn't go for it. Staal is still young and has potential to be a very good offense defenseman as he matures. Plus Rangers defense sucks besides him and Girardi

Fitz413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:13 PM
TrueGrit

say yes to the parent - staal pairing!

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 11:05 PM
phlocky

You know, I've read this thread a couple of times and I can't make up my mind as to which I'd prefer to have. Both are excellent young players and I believe both will be key parts of their team and real impact players. I have a real man-crush on both of them.

I've decided that you can flip a coin. heads it's Staal, tails is Giroux, tell me the result and I won't cry over the outcome.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote