HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Switching from roller to ice. Help!

Old
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

vCash: 500
Switching from roller to ice. Help!

Im going to be starting my first ice league sunday night. Im 26 and have been playing roller hockey since i was 12, so im not too worried about much skill-wise but i would like some pointers on what to expect with the transition to ice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry mods, if this in another tread, sorry i missed. A pointer in the right direction would be great

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Skraut

This thread will probably help you out:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=616218

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:25 PM
LTNINGFan

Send a message via AIM to LTNINGFan Send a message via Yahoo to LTNINGFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
This thread will probably help you out:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=616218
I have not had the opportunity to go back as much as I have wanted due to money constraints, family issues, etc. But I still have the bug to do it more often, especially now since the season (inline) is over, and I need to get my butt in gear to get back in shape before the fall

Go do it Jacko, you won't have any regrets...

LTNINGFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
Im going to be starting my first ice league sunday night. Im 26 and have been playing roller hockey since i was 12, so im not too worried about much skill-wise but i would like some pointers on what to expect with the transition to ice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry mods, if this in another tread, sorry i missed. A pointer in the right direction would be great
I am assuming you have been ice skating before at least with just skates?

If not and this will be the absolutel first time on ice it will be faster for you than rollerblading. Stopping will be the main issue me thinks.

I had some rollerblades to try out inline hockey in the summer time for extra hockey activity in between summer league ice hockey games and almost killed myself too many times and I quickly got rid of the inline stuff and decided to skip it.

Stopping was what was killing me as i had the ice hockey habits which also affected mobility and trying to do things i would do easily playing ice hockey became a nightmare of trying not to kill myself with the inline stuff.

of course I was a novice rollerblader and did not have the proper radius in the wheel setting or the proper wheels atc. I had just a factory recreational inline blade setup which had no rocker to them.

I think honestly you will be okay, I have met someone who was playing ice hockey before and it was his second or third time after rollerblading his whole life and he didn't look much out of place honestly on ice.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:59 PM
XxLidstromxX

haha Jacko, I'm about to do the same thing, my first skate will be tomorrow but it's just with my friends.
I will post a video as soon as I can, I'm pumped up dude!!!

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 01:20 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. And that link was über helpful. Ive been skating before but this will be something other than crappy rentals. Im hittin the rink tonight for a lil practice and i think ill be fine come gametime. Ill keep you all posted...

Old
06-19-2009, 10:47 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Hey all. Update number one.... It turns out i wont be playing after all. Im in the navy and we found out about 20 minutes ago we will be leaving in 4 days for 5weeks to 5 months. Gotta love the certainty, right? Thanks for your help, and ill keep it in mind for when im able to use it...

Old
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM
XxLidstromxX

oh, that sucks then, unless you can play hockey with the navy
Good luck anyways man.

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 12:49 PM
UpGoesRupp

Good luck. However, for future reference. After a long inline season I find the biggest transition to ice hockey is remember to keep your feet moviing. And shorter passes

UpGoesRupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 01:12 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Have fun. I just started my first ice league (27) after playing roller since I was 11. It is damn fun. But you need some practice in skating to get the stopping down. You might stop fine in an open skate or something but once a game comes around and you try and stop without thinking your roller instinct will kick in (or at least mine has). But other than that the main difference that I have found is that in ice you can't hold the puck as long as you can in roller. Mainly because there are more skaters out there

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 05:02 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Agreed with what everyone is saying. You gotta learn to be way faster in decision making because somebody will on you right when you get the puck.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 05:07 AM
LTNINGFan

Send a message via AIM to LTNINGFan Send a message via Yahoo to LTNINGFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
Hey all. Update number one.... It turns out i wont be playing after all. Im in the navy and we found out about 20 minutes ago we will be leaving in 4 days for 5weeks to 5 months. Gotta love the certainty, right? Thanks for your help, and ill keep it in mind for when im able to use it...
Be safe Jacko. Thank you for serving our country

LTNINGFan is offline   Reply With Quote