HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CH Sold To Molson Family!

Old
06-20-2009, 03:00 PM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
Gillett bought it for 275 million (CND$) and probably sold it for around 600 million !!!! + all the profifs he made during all those years.... The guy is now laughing all the way to the bank.

So the Molson bros. are the new owners. That's fine. But it's like 10 years too late.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Kid Dynomite

PKP is a first class assclown. This news is more of a relief than anything else. The Molson family owning the team is welcomed by me.

Kid Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Ok, I'll the first one to say it but 550 millions?

Gillette made out like bandit on this one... He bought it from borrowed money garanteed by Molson in the first place. Leveraged it to buy Liverpool and sold it three times what he never paid.

I am not sure the guy was ever rich; he always owed more than he owns.

But now he might be.
Gillet took another loan on the Habs + Bell Center of close to 300 million. You can be sure that the Molson bros aren't buying the debt, hence the amount, which is not comfirmed yet, but rumors are saying over 500 million. So Gillett would be making somewhere around 200 million.

If you actually think of the profit Gillett made with the yearly revenues of both the Habs and Gillett Sports Entertainment in the last 10 years, its probably quite more than 200 million, which helped him finance other endeavours after having paid the initial debt.

With its present yearly revenues of both the Habs and GSE combined, if maintained, the Molson bros would get their investment back in the span of 10 years. After that, it would be all gravy. IMO, its worth the amount, which wasn't the case when Gillett bought the team.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Rumor is that Thomson CTV has a role in there as well. Which means Bell is still in there if it's true. Which means that despite Molson owning the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bell Centre name staying like that.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Rumor is that Thomson CTV has a role in there as well. Which means Bell is still in there if it's true. Which means that despite Molson owning the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bell Centre name staying like that.
Maybe, the Molson-Bell Center?

Or better yet, the Molson-Bell Forum...

Old
06-20-2009, 03:09 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't care about those company's name for stadiums and arenas (I know they mean big, big bucks) but I would rather name it the Maurice Richard Centre (forget the little arena in the east end)...

Old
06-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
im so ****ing happy

take that Peladeau

What's wrong with you guys. Is it because the Quebecor bid was backed by Quebec based groups and funding as well as being mainly French Canadians.

I hope that this is not the case.

Jean Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
La Presse is never wrong when it comes to Les Canadiens.
I called it first anyway

Post #121
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...=Molson&page=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
A lot of my friends work at Molson and some of them hear some inside stuff. From what I've heard, the Molson Bros are fully intent on keeping the Habs, and if ever Gillett wants to sell part of the team or the entire team, the Molson bros will be first in line and they have been given the insurance that they WON'T lose the bid.

That's why Serge Savard quit the bid.

Old
06-20-2009, 03:22 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
With its present yearly revenues of both the Habs and GSE combined, if maintained, the Molson bros would get their investment back in the span of 10 years. After that, it would be all gravy. IMO, its worth the amount, which wasn't the case when Gillett bought the team.
It's an okay deal for Molson, not much more than that.
I understand the line of thinking that after 10 years it's all gravy but it's not really how financial works. When you buy a business you do expect to make your money back in at least 10 years and sees your investement in capital grow. At 550 millions, I'm not confident the team value will rise significantly over this period.

They made a sentimental move, it's all in their honor and kind of refreshing. They could have got more out of their 550 millions, I'm pretty sure.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Avant-Gardien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
What's wrong with you guys. Is it because the Quebecor bid was backed by Quebec based groups and funding as well as being mainly French Canadians.

I don't think anyone's here to make that argument, let's not jump to conclusions. I was strongly against the Quebecor bid because Peladeau showed, even before taking ownership of the team, that he wouldn't hesitate to muck up hockey operations in the name of making the team more media-friendly.

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
It's an okay deal for Molson, not much more than that.
I understand the line of thinking that after 10 years it's all gravy but it's not really how financial works. When you buy a business you do expect to make your money back in at least 10 years and sees your investement in capital grow. At 550 millions, I'm not confident the team value will rise significantly over this period.

They made a sentimental move, it's all in their honor and kind of refreshing. They could have got more out of their 550 millions, I'm pretty sure.
For sure.

But its still a good deal, in terms of returns. We're talking 10% return annually on the initial amount, if its kept working properly.

I would invest in something safe that gives me 10% returns every year.

Old
1UP

Quote:

No, it's because PKP is a (insert ***'ed insult here) of the worst order.

1UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Mats NAslund

Quote:

That's part of the reason because then they wouldn't have hired the BEST PEOPLE to fill the right positions they would have used the BEST QUEBEQUOIS and there is a difference.

The other part of it is that that whole quebecor group just wanted to use the Canadiens as a marketing ploy for other things. Not what I wanted to see the Montreal Canadiens become!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Habs 1909

Will the arena be renamed?

Bell Centre? Molson Centre? Coors-Light Centre?

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:41 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Very nice, hope this works for the better as Gillett was a great owner and is going to be missed I am sure.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Boulette Cannon

The Coors light center will turn blue when cold.

Mark my words.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:42 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
That's part of the reason because then they wouldn't have hired the BEST PEOPLE to fill the right positions they would have used the BEST QUEBEQUOIS and there is a difference.

The other part of it is that that whole quebecor group just wanted to use the Canadiens as a marketing ploy for other things. Not what I wanted to see the Montreal Canadiens become!
I'm so tired of all of you *$&%? with these comments YOU don't know who they would have hired, There is qualified QUEBECOIS in this universe and if they would have hired them it would not have meant the end of this universe. You think that Molson will not use the Habs as a marketing ploy? are you all insane, of course they will, nothing sells more in this province than the Habs....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:44 PM
NewBlood

Quote:
Maybe, the Molson-Bell Center?

Or better yet, the Molson-Bell Forum...
Bell Centre or Molson Centre! Come on guys, this team is called the Canadiens, not the Americans!

NewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

PKP fail
Angelis fail

good news

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:45 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
I'm so tired of all of you *$&%? with these comments YOU don't know who they would have hired, There is qualified QUEBECOIS in this universe and if they would have hired them it would not have meant the end of this universe. You think that Molson will not use the Habs as a marketing ploy? are you all insane, of course they will, nothing sells more in this province than the Habs....
The Molsosns are as Quebecois as any other guy... The family is in Montreal since about 250 years and thse three guys are born & raised in Montreal.

Old
06-20-2009, 03:47 PM
emb24*

apologies if this was already posted.............

posted by Mike Boone at 14h14 EST on Jun 20
How do you spell relief?

M-O-L-S-O-N

Not a two-four of Export for what ails you ... although that might work.

No, relief – in this case – means Quebecor will not own the Montreal Canadiens.

Instead, the Molson family – with historic ties to the club – will buy out George Gillett and continue the great Canadiens tradition of non-interventionist owners who hire good hockey people and trust them to make sound decisions.

It's the way Robert Kraft owns the New England Patriots.

It's the way John Henry owns the Boston Red Sox.

It's the way Mike Ilitch owns the Detroit Red Wings.

It is not the way meddlesome egomaniac Pierre Karl Péladeau would have owned the Montreal Canadiens and run them as a "content" element of his Quebecor media empire.
This means Pierre Boivin, with close ties to the Molson brothers, will continue to be president of the team.

It means Bob Gainey and his staff – notably Trevor Timmins and new coach Jacques Martin – go to the draft knowing they have the full confidence of the team's new owners.

Jean-François Bégin, in La Presse, reports that Serge Savard will have a role in running the team for the Molsons. This is a good thing.

And it means RDS – as opposed Quebecor's new TVA sports network – will continue to be the Canadiens' flagship.

Habs fans everywhere should be hoisting a Molson or six this evening to toast the new owners.

This is VERY good news.

http://habsinsideout.com/boone/20615

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:48 PM
HABsurde

Now it should end all talks but....

I can't wait for the Molsons to make a move that displease the crowd on this site and see you all turn on them and regret the departure of oncle George, the fact that he didn't sell to Bronfman and i even suspect some will say at the first wrongful move by the Molsons that maybe Quebecor would not have been so bad as they understand entertainment which sport is a part by the way

this board is full of ass clown, and i consider myself one for caring about the idiotic comment vehiculed by a high percentage of the people on this board

thank god that we soon be able to go back commenting on hockey matters like next week-end... And if Timmins and co decides to select Louis Leblanc in the first round, we'll enjoy another round of crazyness on this board...

why bother watching comedy central, the real funny stuff is right here at HF Habs board

so long people

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

somebody heard about a press conference at 18:30

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:57 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
The Coors light center will turn blue when cold.

Mark my words.
They should upgrade it to work like this place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allianz_Arena

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
I called it first anyway