HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bos/Van

Old
06-21-2009, 08:37 AM
LordLucic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kesler View Post
They have cap problems. Why would they move Kessel for a max 1.25 mill cap savings? Bieksa's a great D-man but boston has a great D. If they move Kessel it's for a great prospect who can give them some cheap value in the next few years.
You really have no idea what you are talking about. Please stick to talking about your own teams needs. Boston is not trading their best goal scorer who may or may no be able to contribute this year. If Boston is trading Kessel to Vancouver, Edler or Bieksa would be coming back and it won't be cheap.

LordLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 08:42 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Kessel is a nice player, but IMO his value will be higher than a team like the Canucks should be paying for him.

First off, the Canucks don't exactly have a lot of depth overall, so trading a package for Kessel will hurt the organization's depth even more than it would for a lot of other teams.

Secondly, Kessel may bring a lot of scoring to the lineup, but overall the Canucks aren't a particularly big team, and could use more toughness in their top 6 as is... having Kessel with the Sedins (if they're re-signed) and Demitra, adds up to a very soft top 6.

If I'm the Canucks, I'd be waiting to target the Bruins next year... it'll be a risk, but I think the player that the Canucks really want is going to be easier to land next year, especially if the Bruins keep their current pieces in place.

A year from now, the Bruins only have 5 forwards, 2 dmen and their starting goalie locked up, with a total payroll of close to $35mill. Lucic is also a RFA, and while the Bruins are likely going to do whatever they can to keep him, he would be a perfect addition to the Canucks, while also being a local Vancouverite, and a self-admitted Canuck fan growing up. maybe unlikely, but he's the player that the Canucks would really want, and the only way you're going to get him from the Bruins would be if they're in a tight payroll situation with him hitting RFA status.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 08:47 AM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
There is a feeling in the media and among most of the Bruins fans here, that Kessel is not a "complete" player and that he really isn't a "Bruins" type. They feel that his goal scoring can be replaced or at least somewhat replaced by having 3 well-balanced scoring lines. Something like:

Lucic-Savard-Wheeler
Sturm-Bergeron-Kobasew
Recchi-Krejci-Ryder

By trading Phil these Bruins fans feel that we can obtain a top notch young dman (Weber, Burns, Suter, Pieterangelo + something else, etc).

Now if you ask me, these fans are 1) underestimating Phil's value to the Bruins and how much the O will suffer and 2) overestimating his worth to other teams.

Kessel will not land a top 2 under 25 years old established dman. I'd rather keep him and try shaving some salary by trading Kobasew, Ward, Ferrence, Sturm for picks or lower salaried players.
Thanks now I understand. Still many considered Pavel Bure not a complete player (not saying Kessel has that skill level) but Kessel did score 36 Goals with an injury for who knows how long probably makes more sense to either try and shed salary that way and imo move Patrice (who I think you can get good value for (ie. Bieksa and a 1st) before you move Kessel. Then you can keep your top lines and add Sobotka to the 3rd line. Especially seen if you lose Kessel you're losing your only 30+ Goal scorer.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:08 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Bieksa, the #22 and Rypein for Kessel and Ference.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:56 AM
RonSimmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Kessel is a nice player, but IMO his value will be higher than a team like the Canucks should be paying for him.

First off, the Canucks don't exactly have a lot of depth overall, so trading a package for Kessel will hurt the organization's depth even more than it would for a lot of other teams.

Secondly, Kessel may bring a lot of scoring to the lineup, but overall the Canucks aren't a particularly big team, and could use more toughness in their top 6 as is... having Kessel with the Sedins (if they're re-signed) and Demitra, adds up to a very soft top 6.

If I'm the Canucks, I'd be waiting to target the Bruins next year... it'll be a risk, but I think the player that the Canucks really want is going to be easier to land next year, especially if the Bruins keep their current pieces in place.

A year from now, the Bruins only have 5 forwards, 2 dmen and their starting goalie locked up, with a total payroll of close to $35mill. Lucic is also a RFA, and while the Bruins are likely going to do whatever they can to keep him, he would be a perfect addition to the Canucks, while also being a local Vancouverite, and a self-admitted Canuck fan growing up. maybe unlikely, but he's the player that the Canucks would really want, and the only way you're going to get him from the Bruins would be if they're in a tight payroll situation with him hitting RFA status.

Lucic will not be going anywhere. They'd shed salary about 100 other ways before letting Looch go.

RonSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:04 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSimmons View Post
Lucic will not be going anywhere. They'd shed salary about 100 other ways before letting Looch go.
I know that Boston will do whatever they can to keep him... but the cap is likely going down, he's hitting RFA status and the Bruins do have a lot of talent to lock up... and if Lucic wants, he can wait till he hits RFA status before signing... I guess it will depend on just how tied to the Bruins organization Lucic gets, and further away from his home-town ties. IMO, the longer Lucic stays in Boston, the more likely he is to finish his career there, just being the type of player he is.

I know it's a long shot, and unlikely to happen, but he's the type of player that the Canucks need and would likely overpay for... Kessel, while good, still leaves many holes open in the top 6... and overpaying for such assets doesn't make sense for the Canucks.

Old
06-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
I know that Boston will do whatever they can to keep him... but the cap is likely going down, he's hitting RFA status and the Bruins do have a lot of talent to lock up... and if Lucic wants, he can wait till he hits RFA status before signing... I guess it will depend on just how tied to the Bruins organization Lucic gets, and further away from his home-town ties. IMO, the longer Lucic stays in Boston, the more likely he is to finish his career there, just being the type of player he is.

I know it's a long shot, and unlikely to happen, but he's the type of player that the Canucks need and would likely overpay for... Kessel, while good, still leaves many holes open in the top 6... and overpaying for such assets doesn't make sense for the Canucks.
There's a .00000000001% Chance Lucic leaves Boston anytime soon.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 01:30 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:

Doesn't matter if Lucic waits and doesn't sign before July 1st. Boston will match 95% of the offer sheets that could be given to Milan Lucic. Pipe dream at best.

Old
06-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Frankie Spankie

I don't think you understand how valuable Lucic is to Boston. He's basically the definition of a Bruins, an incredibly tough player with skill. With Cam Neely in the front office alongside Chiarelli, I don't think Lucic will ever pull jersey over that isn't black and gold. I think Bruins are more likely to trade Krejci today than they are of trading Lucic pretty much ever.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 02:12 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
I don't think you understand how valuable Lucic is to Boston. He's basically the definition of a Bruins, an incredibly tough player with skill. With Cam Neely in the front office alongside Chiarelli, I don't think Lucic will ever pull jersey over that isn't black and gold. I think Bruins are more likely to trade Krejci today than they are of trading Lucic pretty much ever.
I realize how important he is... the future Neely tag and all!

and I said that it's an unlikely situation, but again the point was that this is the type of player the Canucks would be able to overpay for... not Kessel.

and while I know that the Bruins will do *everything* possible to keep him in Boston longterm, and there's close to no chance that he goes anywhere, being a Canuck fan, knowing how attached he was to the city and the Canucks growing up, you always have hope that the cap will give you a chance to do the impossible... and if not next year when he hits RFA status, maybe a few years later when he hits UFA status.

I agree, wishful thinking and all... but right now, I'd rather see the Bruins tie up as much of their cap space heading into the following season as possible. The Canucks do have a lot of cap flexibility right now, and a lot of money coming off the following year, so there's always a chance.

Yea, I know, a complete pipe-dream... but until Lucic is actually extended, it's hard not to hope for a hometown kid coming home that is the prototypical player that you want on your team.

Old
06-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
I realize how important he is... the future Neely tag and all!

and I said that it's an unlikely situation, but again the point was that this is the type of player the Canucks would be able to overpay for... not Kessel.

and while I know that the Bruins will do *everything* possible to keep him in Boston longterm, and there's close to no chance that he goes anywhere, being a Canuck fan, knowing how attached he was to the city and the Canucks growing up, you always have hope that the cap will give you a chance to do the impossible... and if not next year when he hits RFA status, maybe a few years later when he hits UFA status.

I agree, wishful thinking and all... but right now, I'd rather see the Bruins tie up as much of their cap space heading into the following season as possible. The Canucks do have a lot of cap flexibility right now, and a lot of money coming off the following year, so there's always a chance.

Yea, I know, a complete pipe-dream... but until Lucic is actually extended, it's hard not to hope for a hometown kid coming home that is the prototypical player that you want on your team.
You put way too much stock into Lucic being a Canucks fan when he was growing up...

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 02:19 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaters not lazt View Post
You put way too much stock into Lucic being a Canucks fan when he was growing up...
how am I putting too much stock in anything? I'm not saying he's going to sign in Vancouver... just saying that depending on the cap situation, and the Bruins other contracts, it is possible that the Canucks could get to an offer sheet for Lucic next summer... and being a Canuck fan, I'd love to see someone who grew up a fan of the team to play in Vancouver, especially considering he's the type of player we need in Vancouver.

I'm not suggesting that just because he's from Vancouver he will sign with the Canucks... just that I hope (as small a chance as there is) that the stars align when he's a RFA (and if not then, when he's a UFA) to make it possible.

Old
06-21-2009, 02:25 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
how am I putting too much stock in anything? I'm not saying he's going to sign in Vancouver... just saying that depending on the cap situation, and the Bruins other contracts, it is possible that the Canucks could get to an offer sheet for Lucic next summer... and being a Canuck fan, I'd love to see someone who grew up a fan of the team to play in Vancouver, especially considering he's the type of player we need in Vancouver.

I'm not suggesting that just because he's from Vancouver he will sign with the Canucks... just that I hope (as small a chance as there is) that the stars align when he's a RFA (and if not then, when he's a UFA) to make it possible.
You keep saying "depending on Boston's cap situation" but keep ignoring what people keep telling you. No matter what our cap situation is like we will move others to keep Lucic. He may not be some 50 goal scorer but he has the same value to the franchise and the fans. He ain't going anywhere. Savard, Wheeler, Stuart will all go before him.

Old
06-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bieksa, the #22 and Rypein for Kessel and Ference.
I would do it. Although it does make us look a bit shifty, considering we just resigned Ripper.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote