HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Your thoughts on the Los Angeles Kings

View Poll Results: Are the Kings a laughing Stock?
Yes, I think they will never accomplish anything significant. 18 14.88%
No, they are a good team that will one day put their troubled past behind them. 67 55.37%
They are OK...but I wouldn't call them a laughing stock. 36 29.75%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Your thoughts on the Los Angeles Kings

This thread was created to see what fans of other NHL teams think of the Los Angeles Kings in general.

Kings fans: please do not vote in this thread....

I have been a Kings fan for almost 20 years. And I love them even though they have never really accomplished anything. But I hope that one day they will turn it around.

When you think of the Los Angeles Kings do you chuckle? Because they have been around for 41 years, never won a Cup and have only made it passed the 2nd round of the playoffs once in their entire history? Are they really like the Cubs of the hockey world....the underdogs that will really never accomplish anything?

or

Do you think the Kings will one day turn it all around and become one of the elite teams of the NHL....stiking fear into the hearts of their opponents? Will the Kings be mentioned in the same breath as some of the historic teams?

Basically I want to know if you think the Kings are a legitimate hockey franchise or are they a team that most of the other teams view as insignificant and a laughing stock?

Last edited by Captain Ron: 06-20-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:24 PM
amnesiac*

its a law of averages. One day the Kings will be good, possibly elite.

I think if they can keep their young defence core for several years and Kopitar + their upcoming pick theyll be in business about 5 years down the road.

I will question picks such as Hickey over Alzner, though. I really didnt get that one.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:28 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
This thread was created to see what fans of other NHL teams think of the Los Angeles Kings in general.

Kings fans: please do not vote in this thread....

I have been a Kings fan for almost 20 years. And I love them even though they have never really accomplished anything. But I hope that one day they will turn it around.

When you think of the Los Angeles Kings do you chuckle? Because they have been around for 41 years, never won a Cup and have only made it passed the 2nd round of the playoffs once in their entire history? Are they really like the Cubs of the hockey world....the underdogs that will really never accomplish anything?

or

Do you think the Kings will one day turn it all around and become one of the elite teams of the NHL....stiking fear into the hearts of their opponents? Will the Kings be mentioned in the same breath as some of the historic teams?

Basically I want to know if you think the Kings are a legitimate hockey franchise or are they a team that most of the other teams view as insignificant and a lughing stock?
I say five or so years from now the Kings will be one of the better teams in the league. They have great defensive depth, and they also have some bright goalies for the future. If they had a no. 2 center and a legit winger [one of which should be hopefully solved with their 1st round pick] they are going to be like the Hawks, Caps or Pens down the road. A great team with lot of youngsters and depth. Not saying Kings = Cup 5 years from now, but Kings = Playoff team 5 years from now isn't out of the picture.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:30 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

They are on the verge of being a very, very good team. Which sucks for us fans of the fringe teams.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Frankie Spankie

I think they will be a very good team very soon. A couple of right moves and with the luck of quick development from the youngsters and they could make the playoffs in just a season or two.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:18 AM
ArVeeDee

They aren't far. I think they just need to acquire a big name guy like Gaborik and they should be a playoff team. Another top six forward too since they had so much trouble scoring last year.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:25 AM
moonknight31

they will it around and it wouldnt surprise me at all if they made the postseason this coming year

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:30 AM
TheDanceOfMaternity

They are the Florida of the West (or maybe Florida is the LA of the east?) but WORSE in terms of the talent/product ratio

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:34 AM
KriticalKing*

I didn't vote cause I'm a fan....but yah Kings suck, they will never amount to anything. Its a constant losing culture. Losing is acceptable and expected,so its hard to change that.

KriticalKing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalKing View Post
I didn't vote cause I'm a fan....but yah Kings suck, they will never amount to anything. Its a constant losing culture. Losing is acceptable and expected,so its hard to change that.
So, why do you call yourself a fan?

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:39 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
So, why do you call yourself a fan?
He already has said in another thread he just behaves this way to be contrary and to create a negative internet persona and get a reaction.

My advice? Don't give him the attention he craves and take everything he posts with a grain of salt.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Depending on how FA goes, La will be a 6-10th spot team for this upcoming year. The year after they should be a 5th-9th team, almost a lock for the playoffs. After that they should be from anywhere from 1st-7th. In 5 years from now they should be competing for a position between 1st and 5th.

Unless of course they ruin some prospects and trade others away...

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:58 AM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Great core and they're on the way up. 2 more years, before they are playoff bound, IMO. I've enjoyed following them over the last few years; it's always good to see a team committed to a blueprint and sticking to it, by building from within.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
...it's always good to see a team committed to a blueprint and sticking to it, by building from within.
Yeah, but at one point the guys you're building on have to start winning. I think LA needs to bring in some help in that department, vets who have just a bit of fire left and don't take to losing well.
In many ways, while getting exaggerated for kicks, I think it mattered that Pens brought Gary Roberts in when we did.
Also that guys like Guerin, Fedotenko and Adams all had cups and brought a lot of experience and poise when joining us.

Not saying that LA are right there for that to be crucial yet, but when you look down that roster, the kids really have to be good enough in themselves to learn how to win. Pretty much no vet presence there who've tried it before. And that's dangerous, IMO.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 01:08 PM
ryz

Laughing stock might be a little harsh....... but just a little.

This is a team that has been losing bucket loads of games and getting high draft picks for years now and can't seem to put it all together. I think they are behind both Chicago and STL in terms of young "up and comming" west teams and thier young draft picks are pretty decent but not as good as they should be for where they have drafted over the past 10 yrs or so. I could see the Kings missing the playoffs for the forseeable future, previous high draft picks or not.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I think that the Kings are at a turning point with their franchise now... they have stocked up on talent and have a lot of solid young players and promising prospects in their system... the key now is whether DL can turn a rebuilding team into a contending team.

But as far as assets go, they are in pretty good shape overall... being in a market that can play to the cap, and having as many young talented players as they do, if they are good at managing the cap moving forward, they could be a contender for a long time.

the building blocks are definitely in place though... a forward group with Kopitar, Brown, Frolov, Williams, Moller, Simmonds, with Doughty and Quincey to build their defense around, and a couple of quality top end young player/prospects in goal, the Kings have the foundation to take that next step.

And they have both the assets, and the cap space, to be able to add some talented veterans to round out the group.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 01:22 PM
BIG BLUE

Lombardi can build a team well enough...

but this is the draft and year they have to flip some picks or players for an established high end player or 2...

in this new CBA, you can't stockpile blue chip youth for more than a couple years, because you can't pay them all eventually and you'll have to lose some...so now is the time for him to get a couple established vets, and get into the playoffs...

he certainly has the assets to.

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 01:57 PM
iPunch
50 Mission Cap

Its been about three years now where I thought they would finally make the jump out of the basement, but I guess they enjoy the company down here.

Definitely worst talent/production ratio in the league as of right now.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Selanne08*

look at their prospect pool / young guys

no way they are a bad team in a couple of yeares

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 02:04 PM
dubey
Cookie Powered

I think Lombardi is one of the worst GMs in the league and LA will always be mediocre until they get a new GM. It was the same situation in SJ. He can build a prospect pool but that's about it.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 02:33 PM
State of Hockey

The way I view them, they're on the verge of a Chicago-style breakout and long-term run.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Jwm1986

i like what im hearing...

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 04:59 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Its been about three years now where I thought they would finally make the jump out of the basement, but I guess they enjoy the company down here.

Definitely worst talent/production ratio in the league as of right now.
The Kings really don't have that much talent on the main team... asides for Doughty, Kopitar and Frolov, there is very little mature or world-class talent on the team... guys like Brown are at best complimentary, and someone like Williams has yet to prove himself per-se to the team.

But that's cause a good chunk of our talent is in fluid assets

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:40 PM
schronote

They have a great core of Brown(ridiculously fair salary), Kopitar, and Doughty. All three of these guys have all star potential, other than the Blues I like watching Kings and Pens most(mainly for Doughty and J. Quick). I think it is only a matter of time until they produce a few extremely competitive seasons, in the playoffs anything is possible ask San Jose. I see a really good team in LA for the next 5 or 6 years. Who is going to be their number 1 goalie next year, Quick or Bernier?

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Obama

I think theyre a goalie away from being a playoff team.

Obama is offline   Reply With Quote