HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2009 Draft Thread (continued)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2009, 11:46 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Oh, then I'd do it. I thought you meant, a 2nd a 3rd and two 5ths.
I would imagine it would be either our 2nd and a 3rd or our 2nd and two 5ths to move up 10 or so slots in the 2nd.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:47 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I'm still laughing at this. Calvin De Haan episode. He could certainly be a good player but all the stunts Garth Snow pulled to get him?

HF had him at #23 in their staff mock draft. On TSN's mock draft, Pierre McGuire had De Haan at #25. Button at #26, USA Today at #27 Central Scouting had him at #25 - among only NA skaters!

The Islanders traded #26, #37, #62, #92, #182 in 2009 to move up to the #12 spot. Just to pick to pick a player they had a very good chance at getting at their original #26 spot. We'll see if it will be worth it but they may have ended up giving up (a late 1st,) an early 2nd, early 3rd, early 4th, and an early 6th pick up for no big reason. The extra move from 16 to 12 seemed excessive. That 6th feels totally wasted. Unless they had insider information. Man, I'd be furious if Sather did something like that.
Yeah, this is why Snow doesn't impress me...he makes a good move...moving up to sixteen, and then takes a player he could have later, at the expense of taking better players on the board. Trading out of #5 last year...good move...trading down and losing out on Boedkker, and then bypassing Hodgson for Bailey...overkill.

And, frankly, he should have taken Hedman, and built a quality defensive corps with him as the foundation.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I'm still laughing at this. Calvin De Haan episode. He could certainly be a good player but all the stunts Garth Snow pulled to get him?

HF had him at #23 in their staff mock draft. On TSN's mock draft, Pierre McGuire had De Haan at #25. Button at #26, USA Today at #27 Central Scouting had him at #25 - among only NA skaters!

The Islanders traded #26, #37, #62, #92, #182 in 2009 to move up to the #12 spot. Just to pick to pick a player they had a very good chance at getting at their original #26 spot. We'll see if it will be worth it but they may have ended up giving up (a late 1st,) an early 2nd, early 3rd, early 4th, and an early 6th pick up for no big reason. The extra move from 16 to 12 seemed excessive. That 6th feels totally wasted. Unless they had insider information. Man, I'd be furious if Sather did something like that.
Is it really that out of line? NJD traded 23 and 84 to 20.

So figure #26 to #23 is #92. Use standard 5 pick upgrade is a 2nd round and you get #23 to #18 is #37.

From #18 to #12 is another second rounder. They actually got away with jumping up 7 slots instead of 5, giving up an early third rounder and a 7th rounder.

So value wise, Snow actually seems to have gotten away with the better deal. Add to the fact that de Haan was totally slept on and is a better prospect than most are giving him credit for. And the fact that when GM's like a certain prospect in the draft urgency is heightened like LA and Hickey.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yeah, this is why Snow doesn't impress me...he makes a good move...moving up to sixteen, and then takes a player he could have later, at the expense of taking better players on the board. Trading out of #5 last year...good move...trading down and losing out on Boedkker, and then bypassing Hodgson for Bailey...overkill.

And, frankly, he should have taken Hedman, and built a quality defensive corps with him as the foundation.
Snow's never impressed me.

Not as a player and not as a GM.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:30 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Is it really that out of line? NJD traded 23 and 84 to 20.

So figure #26 to #23 is #92. Use standard 5 pick upgrade is a 2nd round and you get #23 to #18 is #37.

From #18 to #12 is another second rounder. They actually got away with jumping up 7 slots instead of 5, giving up an early third rounder and a 7th rounder.

So value wise, Snow actually seems to have gotten away with the better deal. Add to the fact that de Haan was totally slept on and is a better prospect than most are giving him credit for. And the fact that when GM's like a certain prospect in the draft urgency is heightened like LA and Hickey.
Your math makes no sense to me. You're trying to rationalize that moving up a set number of spots has a predetermined value?

NJ trades a 1st and a 3rd to move up and get Josefson.
NYI trades a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th to move up to get De Haan.

I'm pretty sure NYI could have traded their 1st (26) and 2nd (32) to move up to 20 and get De Haan at that spot. My main point is moving all those assets just to reach? Think who we picked last year with those picks. 1st = Del Zotto, 2nd = Stepan, 3rd = Grachev, 4th = Weise, 6th = Gaulton. It would be like trading all those players to move up to the 10 spots and instead of getting Hodgson, Sather picks Joe Colborne. WTF? Hickey at 4th was stupid. they could have traded down to the 10th spot and gotten a 3rd or 4th out of it from someone and still get their man. I'm guessing no one was biting but even a little gain? It's hard to believe no one wanted to move up at that spot. Alzer, Gagner, Voracek all available? dang.

Because of our good drafting record, I would rather see the Rangers make trades to get more picks. If they could get a lower 2nd + a 3rd for #47, that would probably work out well. There'd have to be someone exceptional on the board to not take that offer IMO.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Comparison Ford
i got a star

I just want to say, congrats on the Kreider pick. I think he will be alot better than some of you guys are tooting him out to be. Just give the kid a chance, I think he is much better than Jessiman was at his age and is an overall better player. His skating is top notch and his hockey smarts are up there with the best of them.

I also want to mention that I read through the part of the thread where you guys thought we would pick Schroeder, and that was epic. Cheers from across the river!

Old
06-27-2009, 05:36 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
I just want to say, congrats on the Kreider pick. I think he will be alot better than some of you guys are tooting him out to be. Just give the kid a chance, I think he is much better than Jessiman was at his age and is an overall better player. His skating is top notch and his hockey smarts are up there with the best of them.

I also want to mention that I read through the part of the thread where you guys thought we would pick Schroeder, and that was epic. Cheers from across the river!
You got a good one in Josefson...I would have been happy if the Rangers took him at 19...I'm just happier with the way things actually went. as for the reaction on this board...the scar of 2003 is taking a long time to heal.

Old
06-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Melrose_Jr.

This thread's now way over it's limit, so we'll continue the discussion in BRF's "rumor" thread, to be retitiled as more of a catch all.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=655173

Closed Thread