HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Per Brooksie, Rangers unlikely to resign Colton Orr

Old
06-21-2009, 07:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If we give him absolute, rock-bottom, minimum wage, as minimum as the league legally allows, then fine.

Any more is too much.
league minimum + 13th forward. I only want to see him dressed in games where there is a serious heavyweight out there who will cause us problems. Wade Belak, Eric Godard, Donald Brashear, Derek Boogaard, George Laraque. Maybe Hordichuk... any of the other enforcers, if we had a player like Chris Neil as well as Byers on the team, I wouldn't exactly expect them to win the majority of the time but they would be able to enforce efficiently enough.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
While I liked Colton and enjoyed his time here I believe we have people in the system who can do his job and be more of a scoring threat as well.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 08:14 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I think the 3-4 minutes a game the fourth line gets under Torts makes keeping him a better plan. How much more offense is going to come from that 3-4 minutes, really?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:11 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think the 3-4 minutes a game the fourth line gets under Torts makes keeping him a better plan. How much more offense is going to come from that 3-4 minutes, really?
Agreed. Plus as has already been mentioned remember what happened that one game Orr didn't dress.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:15 PM
beastly115

For some reason people here think that the difference between Byers and Orr is going to be huge. Yeah, sure. That 3-4 mins a night will make a huge difference.

We need an enforcer. Period. And from what I read about Byers, he's not what I'd call an enforcer. More like a Duby or Cally who will drop them if he needs to but not going to take on other team's heavyweights.

Remember what happened when we didn't dress Orr against Washington? Brashear broke Betts' face! We need an enforcer. I don't care who it is.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:16 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
While I liked Colton and enjoyed his time here I believe we have people in the system who can do his job and be more of a scoring threat as well.
Who?

Old
06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Who?
Byers.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why in the world would you hate Torts for this?

The guy won a Cup without playing an enforcer for more than a minute or two a game.

I would much rather have that roster spot filled by a Byers or someone who is tough, will drop the gloves, and can actually play the game than by Orr.
Byers can not fight!!!! End that myth now. The kid tries but he is a middle weight . Why do i hate Torts? He is a phony he benched Avery and handed the series right back to the caps. He benched Orr and Brash ran us out of the building and almost killed Betts. Which leads me to Betts Torts has the best 4th line center in the league and he doesnt want him either. Torts wants up tempo puck pursuit but we have no size or toughness to play that way, Torts sucks. He i come AHL and the pack,

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:40 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Call me crazy but I think the Rangers are going to resign Jason Strudwick and use him as the 7th dman/extra forward. He'd be more valuable than Orr and while Strudwick isn't the fighter Orr is he's still pretty good at it. Byers makes the team as a fixture on the 4th line hopefully and Struds fills in wherever needed, whenever needed. He's just as good if not more of a good locker room guy than Orr, and he only made 650K last year. I thought it was silly to let him walk in the first place, especially when he took about the same amount of money and same role in Edmonton, for 1 year.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Ryan McDonut
Resign Glass

fourth liners are fourth liners. we should focus on getting scoring out of our first 3 lines instead getting rid of the toughest guy on our team for someone who can score a few more goals than him

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I seem to fall in the middle of the two extremes - those that seem to focus on nothing but the fighting and those who think it has no purpose.

Having said that, I think letting Orr go would be a big mistake.

Every few years (and regime changes) we get the idea in our head that we don't need an enforcer. Usually, it takes about 20-some odd games for us to realize that they do serve a purpose and then we end up going out and getting one.

I think Orr serves a purpose on this team and anyone expecting "offense" or a "guy who can play" on the fourth line just haven't been watching Torts' track records.

The guy does not roll four lines consistently and as infrequently as he does, I'd rather have the option of putting someone like Orr into the lineup.

Now I don't think he's needed for all 82 games, but I do believe a guy like Orr does serve a purpose (so long as we have a coach who is willing to use him.)

This team will learn very quickly that Orr kept a lot of teams honest over the last few years. An enforcer does not prevent everything the other team tries, but there is a reason why NHL players like having them on their side.
You and me both, Edge. Good post.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:47 PM
RangerFan10

Also, if we resign Mara and Del Zotto or Sanguinetti make the team, I see them being 2nd pairing dmen and Mara being a part of the 3rd pairing. He didn't seem to get a ton of ice time with Torts. He can help fill the void created with Orr departing.

Orr almost annoys me because while he's smart about fighting more times than not, when people took liberties with our guys there were only a handful of times he ACTUALLY went out looking for blood. He can't hit at all, it makes it difficult to really find someone to dance with when you can't even give them a reason to hit you or take a run at you. The Avs blowout game this year was the only time I can remember Orr went out and found a fighting partner when a true statement needed to be made. At least with Mara/Byers/Avery/Callahan/Strudwick they can go out there and hit everything that moves until someone on the other team's finally had enough.

Old
06-21-2009, 09:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Byers.
Byers? He's far from a heavyweight. In the NHL, he'll lose more than he'll win, easy.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Rangers08wedabest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Byers can not fight!!!! End that myth now. The kid tries but he is a middle weight . Why do i hate Torts? He is a phony he benched Avery and handed the series right back to the caps. He benched Orr and Brash ran us out of the building and almost killed Betts. Which leads me to Betts Torts has the best 4th line center in the league and he doesnt want him either. Torts wants up tempo puck pursuit but we have no size or toughness to play that way, Torts sucks. He i come AHL and the pack,
How tall was MArtin St LOuis... Ruslan Fedetenko... on 2003-2004 rightt.. How can you hate a guy that actually got this team to play an up tempo game rather then a stupid trap system which limited every ranger player. Ohh not to mention the the AVERY Benching was something that AVERY said was the best thing to happen to him that sereies and that he learend alot from that. Dont try to blame the series or w.e you are trying to do on Torts... blame the man that constructed this team... The only thing that Orr has besides a nice right hook is an extremely hot gf...

Rangers08wedabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Byers.
So you think that Dane Byers, playing 3-4 minutes a night, will not only score more than Orr, but simultaneously be able to take on some of the top heavyweights in the league? Eric Godard? Brashear? Koci? Parros? I wouldn't wanna see Byers in the ring with ANY of those guys.

Old
06-21-2009, 10:07 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I seem to fall in the middle of the two extremes - those that seem to focus on nothing but the fighting and those who think it has no purpose.

Having said that, I think letting Orr go would be a big mistake.

Every few years (and regime changes) we get the idea in our head that we don't need an enforcer. Usually, it takes about 20-some odd games for us to realize that they do serve a purpose and then we end up going out and getting one.

I think Orr serves a purpose on this team and anyone expecting "offense" or a "guy who can play" on the fourth line just haven't been watching Torts' track records.

The guy does not roll four lines consistently and as infrequently as he does, I'd rather have the option of putting someone like Orr into the lineup.

Now I don't think he's needed for all 82 games, but I do believe a guy like Orr does serve a purpose (so long as we have a coach who is willing to use him.)

This team will learn very quickly that Orr kept a lot of teams honest over the last few years. An enforcer does not prevent everything the other team tries, but there is a reason why NHL players like having them on their side.
Well-said, this is exactly how I feel. It's no surprise that when Orr is out of the lineup in Game 6 of the playoffs, Brashear takes out our best PKer in Betts. I think there may be a lot more of those incidents if we don't have an enforcer on our team.

Orr definitely shouldn't be playing every game, and it was insanely frustrating at the beginning of last season that Orr was guaranteed a spot in the line-up while guys such as Fritsche, Korpi, and Prucha were scratched. There were times when Orr would be playing when the other team didn't have their enforcer dressed, there's no reason for him to play in those situations.

However, there are definitely certain instances in which an enforcer is needed, particularly when we are playing against our division rivals (who is going to beat the crap out of Riley Cote and Eric Godard?). If Orr is not re-signed, I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:25 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The only good thing Orr ever did was annoy crosby every now and then. There's no denying he gave 200 percent for this team, so for that I wish him well.

But in all honesty, this move will have little impact on the team now that the NHL is going to continue it's crackdown on goons and fighting.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:32 PM
blue2noise

This team is already soft as a bag of marshmallows. We are going to get thrown around like rag dolls if we don't sign Orr and bring in some players that have size and talent instead of one or the other.

Big mistake. 3 minutes a game or not.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:34 PM
NY Ranger86

I think its B.S.

4th liner making $537,000 that doesnt take bad penalties, can beat the CRAP out of enforcers and a strong will to work on his game and be a Ranger... Ya lets let him go.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:39 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
I think its B.S.

4th liner making $537,000 that doesnt take bad penalties, can beat the CRAP out of enforcers and a strong will to work on his game and be a Ranger... Ya lets let him go.
maybe he wanted more money?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Come on guys.

This is NOT a big deal it really isnt.

Orr is a great fighter, but let's be honest, he provides very little, if any of the things that Tortorella demands out of a forward. A guy like Byers can do everything Orr does and more around the net and deep in the zone. He can also provide some secondary scoring.
First of all, Byers will get his ass kicked at the NHL level. There's not a chance in hell Byers can fight the big boys of the NHL. And he'll get his ass handed to him by even the lower level fighters of the NHL.

Secondly, Byers hasn't proven a damn thing at the NHL level, in terms of playing hockey (not fighting). You, me ......no one has even the slightest idea of what Byers brings to the table, at the NHL level. Right now, he's not even a NHL player.

He won't be a NHL player till he earns himself a roster spot. Nevermind these silly claims that he can do this and do that ....better than Orr.

Let me know when Byers actually makes a NHL roster and stays with an NHL team.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:59 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
fourth liners are fourth liners. we should focus on getting scoring out of our first 3 lines instead getting rid of the toughest guy on our team for someone who can score a few more goals than him
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
This team is already soft as a bag of marshmallows. We are going to get thrown around like rag dolls if we don't sign Orr and bring in some players that have size and talent instead of one or the other.

agree completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
I think its B.S.

yup.

The New York Charmin Bears, may as well rename the team. Let Orr walk and resign Zherdev, total awesomeness! What a joke of an org.

I just know I'm going to be pissed off at the outcome of this offseason, didn't think it could get any worse than last yrs.

I hope he goes somewhere where I can like and root for him, a good team would be nice, maybe Edmonton? Renney?

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I'd rather sign Chris Neil, the guy can actually play hockey, and has an even dirtier edge which this team has lacked since guys like Domi, Kocur, Beukeboom, and Langdon. A guy like Brashear comes and takes a cheapshot at one of our guys? Neil goes out and takes a run at one of theirs.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Edge

I'll chime in on two points -

1. I don't think it's as easy as just having a physical guy who runs at other teams players. If that were the case we'd have been fine in the past with just dressing guys like Hollweg and Avery.

2. I've always seen Byers as more of a replacement for Hollweg, not as our next enforcer. He's a big, pesky, guy who checks, fights and brings some offense to the table. I'd compare him more to a Darren McCarty type (if all goes well),

I'm not in favor of signing Orr to a huge contract, but to not explore the possibility seems rather foolish to me.

The guy can't score, but he wasn't a liability either on the fourth line. I see alot of areas to fix on this team. To me, a fourth line forward slot wasn't high on that list.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:48 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post

Last season Orr did little to nothing to prevent anyone being pushed around. It's more about an attitude these days, and we had players often show that we were not going to take being "thrown around," if you will, by throwing their bodies around and/or throwing the mitts (Cally, Dubi, Mara, Avery, etc.).

I really doubt someone is going to be that worried about Colton Orr being that he sees the ice for about 4 minutes a game. Not hard to avoid him. Seriously, where was Colton Orr when Jarkku Ruutu was reaking all that havoc?