HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks offer for a top pick

Old
06-20-2009, 05:15 AM
Blane Youngblood

vCash: 500
Canucks offer for a top pick

With the rumor being that both the NYI and TBL are looking for defense and are thus considering drafting Hedman instead of Taveres, I am wondering if any combination of the following would land a pick that would get the Nucks Tavares:

-Edler
-Bieksa
-1st (22nd)
-Raymond
-Grabner

I'm thinking Edler, Bieksa, and the Canucks 1st for Tavares. Would NYI or TB do it?

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 05:47 AM
ttam103

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
With the rumor being that both the NYI and TBL are looking for defense and are thus considering drafting Hedman instead of Taveres, I am wondering if any combination of the following would land a pick that would get the Nucks Tavares:

-Edler
-Bieksa
-1st (22nd)
-Raymond
-Grabner

I'm thinking Edler, Bieksa, and the Canucks 1st for Tavares. Would NYI or TB do it?
That would devestate our defence core. I'd be guessing Schneider would some how get in there maybe one of edler or bieksa and a roster forward.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 05:50 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Remove Raymond, and add Hodgson.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Roof Daddy

IMO, It would be possible if it were Hodgson, Edler, Burrows, 1st. Not sure why the Nucks would want to do that, because that is giving up quite a bit considering their 1st priority should be to give Luongo a reason to stay (can't see a deal like this making them better for next year).

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:07 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

-Edler
-Bieksa
-1st (22nd)
-Raymond
-Grabner

There haven't been ANY comments from the isles about which way they are leaning.Snow did say just days ago,he knows who he wants at 1st overall,doesn't expect to trade down from that pick.He did say he and his scouts are focusing on the late 1st and 2nds.

Sounds like he still wants to move up to the middle of the first round from 26th.

Bob McKenzie predicts they'll take Hedman 1st overall.
Chris Botta predicts they'll take Tavares 1st overall.
Greg Logan predicts they'll take Duchene 1st overall.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:14 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Remove Raymond, and add Hodgson.
this.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Pyke*

The Islanders don't seem like they'd be trading 1st overall.. And in any case, I don't think the Canucks give up Bieska to get Tavares.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
this.
Seriously? You think it would take this much?

-Edler
-Bieksa
-1st (22nd)
-Hodgson
-Grabner

That's a deal of Lindros-esque proportions. I think maybe 3 our of those 5.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Seriously? You think it would take this much?

-Edler
-Bieksa
-1st (22nd)
-Hodgson
-Grabner

That's a deal of Lindros-esque proportions. I think maybe 3 our of those 5.
Edler, Bieksa, 1st and Grabner would be enough for Tampa I think.

Adding Hodgson is an overpayment and the nucks won't do it.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Rschmitz

If Hodgson isn't in the conversation Tampa Bay says thanks but no thanks

EDIT: Obviously it wouldn't take all the stuff listed

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:42 AM
sensfan83*

Hodgson, Edler, 1st is definitely enough IMO.

But I wouldn't do it I were the Canucks...

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

people overrate draft picks so much on this board... honestly if hodgson was eligible for this draft then he would be a candadate to go first overall himself

we've all seen plenty of first overall picks go on to have very average type careers as far as superstars go. they cost a hell of a lot of money on cap hits too

you can have a first overall maybe score you 40 goals a season a few times over his first 7 seasons and get stuck on the hook paying him 5/6 mill per season to do it and never come close to making the playoffs...

or you can look around for a guy a few years into his career and sign him for half the money to score 30 for you and play a more well rounded game likely

or you can get lucky and draft kids like datsyuk and zetterberg that dont require you draft top 2/3 to get

if a team like tampa is willing to deal their pick... it would be mostly to keep their costs down. I think its very possible they would want 2/3 good upgrades in their roster and a replacement first round pick.

if i was vancouver... I might be asked for a guy like Kessler to make the deal work... or a guy like Bieska. Not likely both... then I think I would probably be asked for Cory Schneider since I think Tampa needs to address their goaltending still. Finally I likely would have to give up my first. Maybe I would need to take some salary back... like Malone. If that happens, I would probably be throwing in a cheaper replacement for malone like Bernier or Pyatt or someone of this ilk

Call it Bieska/Schnieder/Bernier/1st for Malone and the first and I think its a deal that not too many other teams would beat. Tampa could obviously ask for much more... or even keep the pick themselves... but as a GM of a team like Vancouver, I am pretty sure no one beats this offer by much.

If tampa is going to deal then an offer like this is likely about right for getting the deal done.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 12:29 PM
tRaDiNgYo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
people overrate draft picks so much on this board... honestly if hodgson was eligible for this draft then he would be a candadate to go first overall himself

we've all seen plenty of first overall picks go on to have very average type careers as far as superstars go. they cost a hell of a lot of money on cap hits too

you can have a first overall maybe score you 40 goals a season a few times over his first 7 seasons and get stuck on the hook paying him 5/6 mill per season to do it and never come close to making the playoffs...

or you can look around for a guy a few years into his career and sign him for half the money to score 30 for you and play a more well rounded game likely

or you can get lucky and draft kids like datsyuk and zetterberg that dont require you draft top 2/3 to get

if a team like tampa is willing to deal their pick... it would be mostly to keep their costs down. I think its very possible they would want 2/3 good upgrades in their roster and a replacement first round pick.

if i was vancouver... I might be asked for a guy like Kessler to make the deal work... or a guy like Bieska. Not likely both... then I think I would probably be asked for Cory Schneider since I think Tampa needs to address their goaltending still. Finally I likely would have to give up my first. Maybe I would need to take some salary back... like Malone. If that happens, I would probably be throwing in a cheaper replacement for malone like Bernier or Pyatt or someone of this ilk

Call it Bieska/Schnieder/Bernier/1st for Malone and the first and I think its a deal that not too many other teams would beat. Tampa could obviously ask for much more... or even keep the pick themselves... but as a GM of a team like Vancouver, I am pretty sure no one beats this offer by much.

If tampa is going to deal then an offer like this is likely about right for getting the deal done.
Hodgson is one year older so it's not fair. We've seen him a whole extra year.

tRaDiNgYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 12:53 PM
nyislanders92

Quote:

-Edler
-Bieksa
-1st (22nd)
-Raymond
-Grabner

take out raymond and grabner and add hodgson and i would do it, idk about nucks fans tho.

nyislanders92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:00 PM
TrueCanuckle

there is no way gillis will do it. first of all hodgson is just as good as tavares and second of all we don't need help on offence if anything we would trade up to get a guy like ryan ellis

Last edited by TrueCanuckle: 06-20-2009 at 01:11 PM.
TrueCanuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post
Hodgson, Edler, 1st is definitely enough IMO.

But I wouldn't do it I were the Canucks...

This is probably about even to what TBL was asking for from Tor for the #2 pick. I know it's more in the way of players/prospects that Van is giving up but Tor DOES have the #7 pick they were offering and that's >>>>>> than the #22 pick this year. The #22 pick will still be a quality player but IMO Schenn + Kane/Shcenn/Cowen/MPS is about eqal to Hodgs + Elder. That menas that Kabs would about equal the #22 pick and I think tat's about fair.

However, having said all this, if I'm the Nucks there is no way I give up that much just to get the #2 pick.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:25 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Hodgson, Edler, Bieksa AND A 1st?

LOL.. um no thanks.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
However, having said all this, if I'm the Nucks there is no way I give up that much just to get the #2 pick.
Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts on the situation too. The offer is right on the money for what it would take to land a Top-2, Top-1 pick. There's no way we're picking in the Top-5 unless we give up some serious pieces to our team. We just don't have as many assets as some teams do to warrant a trade like this.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

I would think Edler,Bieska, 1st/Grabner could get Tampas 2nd overall. Gives them two great D men with Bieska and Edler who have arguably not even hit their prime yet.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:59 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL KING View Post
there is no way gillis will do it. first of all hodgson is just as good as tavares and second of all we don't need help on offence if anything we would trade up to get a guy like ryan ellis
Is he now? 10thOA last year = 1stOA this year? Hodgson couldn't make the NHL at 18 and Tavares is all but assured to play for whoever drafts him next year. I get that you guys like Coho, but try to keep your feet on the earth a bit.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Edler is so under appreciated...

Age 22 with 37 points and 8 in 10 games in the playoffs, has the hardest shot.... no way fan gives that muchf or a prospect.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam103 View Post
That would devestate our defence core. I'd be guessing Schneider would some how get in there maybe one of edler or bieksa and a roster forward.
I don't think either team is looking for a goalie (Mike Smith and Ricky D).

The reason the Canucks make this trade is to free up cap space to rebuild the defense. The Canucks problem this year wasn't scoring, it was their inability to hold the lead thus trading away the only two d-men they can (due to NTCs) frees up cash for them to go for a #1 d-man (Niedermayer or Bouwmeester).

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:38 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Is he now? 10thOA last year = 1stOA this year? Hodgson couldn't make the NHL at 18 and Tavares is all but assured to play for whoever drafts him next year. I get that you guys like Coho, but try to keep your feet on the earth a bit.

I agree that Tavares > CoHo. But you can't base him off his 10th OA status now. I bet if the draft was redone he'd almost certainly be taken higher. He's the Top Prospect in almost everyone's books right now. He's going to be something special.

But on topic..

A offer that has equal value to Top 1-2 Picks would gut the teams future/present roster.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:41 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
hahaha oh boy. here we go.

Also I hope the Canucks do trade up to draft Ellis and waste a bunch of assets in the process. Top 10 hopefully.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:46 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Obviously.

Also, I'm glad to see the Canucks' idea of improving their defense is drafting the defensive juggernaut Ryan Ellis.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote