HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Step Forward by an Oiler Prospect in 03-04

View Poll Results: Which Prospect took the biggest step this season?
JDD 9 10.00%
Brodziak 25 27.78%
Mikhnov 16 17.78%
Lynch 29 32.22%
Greene 10 11.11%
other 1 1.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Biggest Step Forward by an Oiler Prospect in 03-04

Since most of this is done now, I thought it might be an idea to see who we think had the biggest step forward (prospect wise) this season. The nominees (in no particular order) are:

1. Jeff Drouin Desluariers-Despite some inconsistent play, JDD ranked #3 at seasons end in the Q (2.87) and had a splendid SP (.916).

2. Kyle Brodziak-Finished 3rd in WHL scoring (39-54-93) and stepped up big time as a 19 year old.

3. Alexei Mikhnov-Second season in a row that he's really stepped it up, this time he was one of the leading scorer's on his team (14-8-22). Mikhnov has played 2.5 seasons in the RHL and is not yet 22.

4. Doug Lynch-Is scoring at about the same pace he did in the WHL a year ago (10-24-34), and from what I can tell isn't playing any forward. A very good season.

5. Matt Greene-Whenever size and good foot speed are mentioned in the same scouting report, the upside is huge. Greene had a big season at North Dakota (1-16-17) averaging almost .5ppg.

Old
03-26-2004, 07:59 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Gotta go with Lynch, he went from dominating and imposing in the W to doing the same thing in the AHL the very next year. Also his offense is not a fluke as is demonstrated by his stats from the W. I think the fact that he moved up a league is more deserving of this nomination than just getting older and doing better in the same league (JDD, Brodziak.)

While i acknowledge the fact that Mikhnov and Greene have not changed leagues i feel the older competition they play against also puts them ahead of JDD/Brodziak.

For me it goes...
Lynch
Mikhnov
Greene
JDD
Brodziak

Old
03-26-2004, 08:01 PM
diablo

1. Brodziak
2. Lynch
3. Mikhnov
4. JDD
5. Greene

Old
03-26-2004, 08:26 PM
hunter orange

1. JDD
2. Lynch
3. Brodziak
4. Greene
5. Mikhnov

Old
03-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

1. Lynch
2. Brodziak
3. Greene
4. JDD
5. Mikhnov

Old
03-26-2004, 08:47 PM
GorillazXL

1.Brodziak - Stepped up big, taking on the responsibility of the leader on the MJ team. Playing well enough to be invited to the WJC tryout, and IMO played well enough to earn a roster spot on the team, but due to poltics (lack of interntional play) was cut at the end.
1A.Lynch - I've always loved watching this guy play, he's a smart defenceman and plays with the heart of a captain. He's really proven to be a contributor offensively and leader in a locker room of older players.
3.JDD - Playing on a poor team, he's allowed Chicoutimi to be competitive
4.Mikhanov - Playing in a defensively tough league, Mikhanov is showing some good offensive prowness.
5.Greene - Everyone who has seen him play and did a write up has always written positive praises.

GXL

Old
03-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Slats432

For me....

1. Lynch
2. Brodziak
3. Green
4. Mikhnov
5. Deslauriers

Old
03-26-2004, 09:03 PM
momentai

From the list:
1. Kyle Brodziak
2. Doug Lynch
3. Matt Greene
4. JDD
5. Mikhnov

Not on the list: But honorable mention. Michael Morrison.

Old
03-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Bohologo

No love for Greene? Didn't one of the braintrust just say that they thought he could step into the lineup right now?

But if the question is who has taken the biggest strides, I guess I'd go with Brodziak.

Old
03-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Not on the list: But honorable mention. Michael Morrison.
Morrison's a good one, and Fomitchev would have been too if he was still Oiler property. The guy I thought of including was Salmelainen, whose PPG year over year went from .493 to .792.

I really wanted to include Pouliot, but even though his numbers were better his health is a concern.

Old
03-26-2004, 09:46 PM
speeds

1. Greene - I thought this guy was just suppposed to be at best a 3rd pair banger? Huge move up the rankings from where I thought he had been, I may have just been underrating him before, but to me he's moved the most.

2. Lynch - another guy who I had figured at best to be a 3rd pair guy, upside is looking higher now, can't have too many D, so he's at #2.

3. Brodziak - 7th rounder goes from 62 to 93 points when he moves from 18 to 19 years old. Definitely a nice move, but what does it prove? Who knows, need to see him against better competition, IMO, to have him higher than 3rd on this list. Plus, I didn't really see a great pro upside in the one game of him I saw, LOL.

4. Mikhnov - nice step up, but it's time to bring him over and see what's what in the NA game, plus I had him fairly high at the end of last year anyways, so in terms of "moving up" I'm not sure he's done as much as the 3 previous.

5. JDD - stats look really nice, but there has to be some kind of reason he takes as much criticism as he does regarding weak goals at inopportune times. Like Brodziak, it'll be nice to see how he transitions to the AHL next season; still got lots of time to work that out as a goalie.

Old
03-26-2004, 09:49 PM
speeds

kind of funny LT, I just about had my list exactly opposite to yours. I even thought about slotting Mikhnov at 3 and Brodziak at 4

Old
03-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
kind of funny LT, I just about had my list exactly opposite to yours. I even thought about slotting Mikhnov at 3 and Brodziak at 4
Actually, that wasn't my order. I did them randomly.

Old
03-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Walsher

To me Lynch for sure. Brodziak is still in the WHL and although he has been stellar, there is a big difference between being a good player in the WHL (Brodziak) and an AHL All Star as a rookie d-man (Lynch). Both with great years, but the level of play IMO makes Lynch's season much more impressive.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
To me Lynch for sure. Brodziak is still in the WHL and although he has been stellar, there is a big difference between being a good player in the WHL (Brodziak) and an AHL All Star as a rookie d-man (Lynch). Both with great years, but the level of play IMO makes Lynch's season much more impressive.
Right on with what I was thinking.

I've always liked Lynch, but I wasn't sure his offensive game would translate as well as it has at the pro level. Not to mention that he's remained equally as strong defensively. Lynch has had a hell of a season.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Obsessed

I havent seen enough of any of these guys to give an honest opinion. However from everything I have read online and in scouting reports JDD is on the rise. He should have been on the Canadian Juniors this year and could be there again next year. He is our great white hope in net. When he was challenged by his coach he posted the defensive player of the month and a ridiculous save percentage "1.42 goal-against average and a 0.956 save percentage, and he received and average of 32.3 shots per game" in the month of March. As Pierre McGuirre would say MONSTER!

I was really looking forward to seeing him in the prospect camp :mad:

Old
03-27-2004, 12:10 AM
The Rage

Does anyone know how Mikhnov's numbers compared with Ovenchkin's? I think they were pretty close. Of course, Ovenckin is much youger, but it's an interesting point nonetheless.

Old
03-27-2004, 02:55 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

I say Kyle by a landslide.

I never thought for a second that I'd hear the name of our 7th round pick more than twice this year, he's become one of our top few prospects.

Nothing that Lynch has done has surprised me at all, if he wasn't doing as well as he is then I'd be shocked. I'd just say that he's on pace to reach his potential.

Old
03-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Matts

I think it has to be Lynch

because like one guy posted here, he's puitting up the same numbers in his first year in the A as he did his last year in junior and the A has been a much better league since absording the I so what Lynch is doing is nothing short of remarkable.

Woywitka will get more press becasue the Oilers have to spin it that way with him being the bounty for Comrie but if Lynch was a better skater, you'd be hearing about all the time.

Every other part of his game is solid. He might not have great strenght or be a great defender but he looks good on both accounts. And that offensive upside will endear him to the staff and fans alike.

Can't wait to see Greene and JDD next year...and Brodziak and maybe even Mihknov and Niinimakki.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:19 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
I havent seen enough of any of these guys to give an honest opinion. However from everything I have read online and in scouting reports JDD is on the rise. He should have been on the Canadian Juniors this year and could be there again next year.
Jeff can't be there next year. The World Juniors is for players under 20 years old as the age limit and Jeff will be 20 in May of this year.

On the bright side, if we wanted... he is now eligible for the AHL. So next year we could see him in the AHL or back in juniors as an overager... we'll see.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:21 AM
theoil

It's getting harder and harder to armchair GM this team as the holes fill in and the depth just keeps getting more impressive. I am thinking the draft this year is the one where Lowe bundles and makes a serious move for a top 5 pick as this team is finally in a position to overpay.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:27 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Jeff can't be there next year. The World Juniors is for players under 20 years old as the age limit and Jeff will be 20 in May of this year.

On the bright side, if we wanted... he is now eligible for the AHL. So next year we could see him in the AHL or back in juniors as an overager... we'll see.
With that Guy article saying that both have to be signed this summer, I'd be pretty surprised to see either guy anywhere but the AHL next season.

EDM could have a bunch of new guys (no surprise for a farm team, true, but not just a ton of recycled minor league guys, prospects) next season in Toronto with the potential arrival of:

Mikhnov
Niinimaki
Brodziak
Deslauriers
Platt
Smith

tough luck that Allen is a UFA this summer, he'd be nice to keep around, but he'll (rightly) look for an NHL ticket and unless EDM has a ton of blueline activity this summer one would have to think he'll sign elsewhere for next season. Although, impending lockout, maybe not?

Old
03-27-2004, 10:30 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
It's getting harder and harder to armchair GM this team as the holes fill in and the depth just keeps getting more impressive. I am thinking the draft this year is the one where Lowe bundles and makes a serious move for a top 5 pick as this team is finally in a position to overpay.
with all the money they'll have available this summer, it might be fun to be Lowe come July 1st for a change; getting to pick up a valuable player or two instead of losing them

Old
03-27-2004, 10:41 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
With that Guy article saying that both have to be signed this summer, I'd be pretty surprised to see either guy anywhere but the AHL next season.
I think that's a pretty fair assessment. And I think it's remarkable that the AHL team is doing as well as it has been; I would never have expected a playoff appearance from them already. With a good influx of talent from the new prospects, they are entering into a "winning" atmosphere. They could very well be even better this year.

And boy... do I want to see Mikhnov play in the AHL next year...

Closed Thread