HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pisani?

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 10:58 PM
nyrcup94

vCash: 500
Pisani?

Good evening all. I have noticed that Pisani is scoring more regularly these past 5 games. What's changed? Is he beginning to break out? What do you see his future with the Oilers and in the NHL? 3rd line winger? 2nd line winger? Something else? Thanks in advance.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcup94
Good evening all. I have noticed that Pisani is scoring more regularly these past 5 games. What's changed? Is he beginning to break out? What do you see his future with the Oilers and in the NHL? 3rd line winger? 2nd line winger? Something else? Thanks in advance.
I expect him to settle in around a 15-20 goal scorer in the NHL.. I don't think he'll ever be a top 6 player but he is a pretty good depth guy and is a good defensive player. His shot has improved a lot this year and that is part of the reason why he has gone on this goal scoring run..

Old
03-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcup94
He is just finding the right spot and cashing in on some good passes and breaks. He has the potential to be a consistent 15 goal man and solid 2 way guy IMO. Not too flashy, very reliable, good wheels and shot. Probably no higher than 3rd line winger (Maltby-ish). Good production from an unlikely source. Also has the knack for scoring really important goals.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I expect him to settle in around a 15-20 goal scorer in the NHL.. I don't think he'll ever be a top 6 player but he is a pretty good depth guy and is a good defensive player. His shot has improved a lot this year and that is part of the reason why he has gone on this goal scoring run..
with the season almost over, there are 65 guys with more than 20 goals. That is 2.4 players per team have over 20 goals. Assuming a few more make it before the end of the season, I am guessing that every team has 3 guys who score more than 20 goals.

If fernando can pot 20 on a consistent basis, he is a 1st liner, not a top 6 player.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:26 PM
capebretonoilers

thats a BIG if ...
He does have a bice shot -- not a nedved shot obviously but nice..

20 + consistently -- would luv to see it but I don't think its probable

Old
03-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Mr Sakich

I don't think fernando will ever score 20. I was just commenting on cerebral's thought that 15-20 is a decent 3rd line winger. 20 goals in today's NHL gets you on the top line.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i ecpect Moreau part 2, a consistent 10-15 goal scorer that brings it each game and does very well in his own end

Old
03-26-2004, 11:48 PM
capebretonoilers

misread your post --my bad

Old
03-26-2004, 11:51 PM
windowlicker

The guy has been clutch as hell recently. I remember the same thing last year. Timely goals at the time of year when it really mattered. Early on in the season he looked like a completey lost 32 year old AHL'er out there and alot of people (me included) were calling for his head. If anything, this shows that he's more of a "Stretch Drive" player, and looking at the results there's definetaly nothing wrong with that.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Matts

He's cheap, he works hard

and he's great in his own end.

Before the current five goals in the last five games stretch I never understood why anyone would have a problem with him or his play

Old
03-27-2004, 12:07 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

Before the current five goals in the last five games stretch I never understood why anyone would have a problem with him or his play
Agree.

While early in the season, his offensive game just wasn't clicking, he was still working hard defensively.

He's a very streaky offensive player, BUT, he's a consistent workhorse who gives you an effort defensively. Plus he's cheap like you said.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:09 AM
Whitenoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

Yeah, I don't ever recall someone blaming a goal against on Pisani. That's pretty impressive 'round these parts . I've noticed that he doesn't get many chances but when he does he usually buries them. He has a nice, accurate shot. I think he'll always be a 10-15 goal scorer/3rd liner.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Matts

Honestly

he reminds me of Moreau before Ethan soared to the 20 goal level

Not as producing of the open ice hit and minus the stupid penalties but I like the comparison because of the honest effort and dependability

Old
03-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
with the season almost over, there are 65 guys with more than 20 goals. That is 2.4 players per team have over 20 goals. Assuming a few more make it before the end of the season, I am guessing that every team has 3 guys who score more than 20 goals.

If fernando can pot 20 on a consistent basis, he is a 1st liner, not a top 6 player.
Fair enough.. I don't think he'll ever crack 20 goals, probably more like 16 goals/season and great defensive effort. There are some players that score 20+ goals/season that don't classify as first/second liners however.. a guy like Scatchard is a 20+ goal scorer and very few people consider him a second line centerman.

Old
03-27-2004, 08:21 AM
WFHACommish

Quote:
I don't think fernando will ever score 20. I was just commenting on cerebral's thought that 15-20 is a decent 3rd line winger. 20 goals in today's NHL gets you on the top line.
I highly disagree. 20 goals doesn't necessarily get you top line. Look at guys like Grier, Moreau, Marchant. They all had twenty goal seasons one year. But I wouldn't really consider them top line players.

Dvorak doesn't have 20 goals, but i think he's top 2 line material. Isbister I think could be a top 2 line material. (I'll prolly get flamed for this one).

I think that for a PURE top 1st line material, you need to be a 30 goal man, or a person who sets up a 30 goal man.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Mr Sakich

we have been down this road before - what makes a top 6 player?

the average top scorer on a team in the nhl has 72 points
2nd top scorer - 53
3rd top scorer - 47
4th top scorer - 41
5th top scorer - 34
6th top scorer - 30

people seem to beleive that every top 6 player is a scoring machine but the stats do not bear this out.

Old
03-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Walsher

Quote:
we have been down this road before - what makes a top 6 player?

the average top scorer on a team in the nhl has 72 points
2nd top scorer - 53
3rd top scorer - 47
4th top scorer - 41
5th top scorer - 34
6th top scorer - 30

people seem to beleive that every top 6 player is a scoring machine but the stats do not bear this out.
Pisani's role isn't conducive to a top 6 player. Yes he has 15 goals, but he is and always will be a 3rd line checking forward with great defensive skills and offensive ability when needed. Scoring doesn't matter too much IMO when you are outlining the lines, as someone mentioned, Dvo doesn't have 20 goals yet he is always going to be a top 6 guy. He has offensive skill, speed, vision, etc. His skills are conducive to a top 6 player. Pisani may become a top 6 guy if he has chemistry with a certain person or people (ex. Pisani-Horc-Smyth), but for the most part he will be best served as a checking forward.

Old
03-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Matts

Well

I'm as bad as anyone for getting caught up in "top six bottom six" guys but that being said there's still no reason why Pisani couldn't keep playing with Smyth and another talented centre and keep being matched up, at least at home, against the other team's top line.

Say Nedved came back for instance and York was healthy.

You could go:

Smyth-York-Pisani
Torres-Nedved-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Hemsky
Horcoff-Stoll-BG

Those first three lines would be getting pretty much equal time or maybe the top two and then you could get Hemsky out against a line that won't be able to score on him even with Reasoner and Moreau helping him out

Old
03-27-2004, 03:23 PM
AVE MAN

The thing I really like about pisani is he is an incredibley smart player who creates lots of space for his linemates. He always makes the smart simple play, and seems to make every line that he is on better.
EX.
RPM line
Smyth Horcoff and Pisani
Oates, Pisani and Isbister

These have all been good productive lines.

Last year in the Dallas playoff series, I thought he was the best oilers and scored some huge goals.

Old
03-27-2004, 03:40 PM
oilers24

Fernado has played real well for the Oilers always responsible defensivly, good speed, good shot, battles hard. last year in the playoffs he played real well, been a real nice find for the Oilers.

Closed Thread