HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs Coaches fired

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2009, 05:16 PM
  #76
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
As an outsider looking in...it's pretty lame not to give the coaching staff a reason, aside from "going in a different direction", when not re-newing the contract. No, they are not required to give a reason...but still. Seems fairly low class.

As a Capitals fan....I can tell you that the relationship between the farm team and home teams does play a large part in the overall success of the organization. The Caps, just today, hired the AHL Calder Cup winning head coach as their new assistant (Woods and Boudreau have had a tight coaching relationship for years, winning the Kelly Cup and Calder Cup together, but that is besides the point). Just saying "It's only the Farm Team" is an excuse for poor management skills. All they had to do was meet with the guys and let them know why the change was being made. Anything else is poor management of personal and reflect poorly across the hockey world.
maybe going in a different direction was the reason? The organization may have felt that that Lever's coaching style would have been in conflict with the style of players that will soon be coming to Hamilton.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 05:19 PM
  #77
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 21,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
maybe going in a different direction was the reason? The organization may have felt that that Lever's coaching style would have been in conflict with the style of players that will soon be coming to Hamilton.
Or maybe the new owners didn't like Don Lever's choice of ties...who cares!

When has there ever been a story about an NHL team explaining why they let go of their farm team's coaching staff?????????

This could be common practice for all we know...but we wouldn't know because in 29 other NHL cities, the ins and outs of an NHL team's minor league affiliate coaching staff just doesn't get much play...but for the Habs, it does. Ken Holland could have a robot coaching the Grand Rapids and no one would know/care

This story is lame...let's move on, nothing to see here folks


Last edited by 417: 06-22-2009 at 05:27 PM.
417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 05:24 PM
  #78
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 30,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
How do you know what Gainey said to the coaching staff? None of us are privy to that information and trying to speculate on what may or may not have been said is just weak.

It was WIDELY reported a few weeks ago that Gainey told Don Lever that he could start looking for a job elsewhere, so Lever knew that he wasn't coming back weeks ago...if he didn't do his due dilligence and look for work elsewhere, that's HIS own fault
I agree that it's strictly speculation...but until the Canadians and Gainey come out with their side of the story, it's a case of "perception being reality", and with the state of the organization, that's not necessarily a good thing.

I mean, I don't know the ins/outs of the Hamilton team of the Habs organization, but a 102 point season seems like the coaching staff was doing a decent job with what they had at the AHL level. Was it a case of the young players not developing? Was it the attitude of the coaches rubbing off on the players? Was it the first round exit from the playoffs? Do the Habs and Bulldogs play the same system...are the looking to model the teams after each other? What exactly is "another direction"?

I mean...until Gainey addresses these kind of questions...all anyone has to go off is that story and the quotes that come with it. And that alone is pretty telling of how things are being run right now with the organization.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 05:30 PM
  #79
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 21,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I agree that it's strictly speculation...but until the Canadians and Gainey come out with their side of the story, it's a case of "perception being reality", and with the state of the organization, that's not necessarily a good thing.
I mean, I don't know the ins/outs of the Hamilton team of the Habs organization, but a 102 point season seems like the coaching staff was doing a decent job with what they had at the AHL level. Was it a case of the young players not developing? Was it the attitude of the coaches rubbing off on the players? Was it the first round exit from the playoffs? Do the Habs and Bulldogs play the same system...are the looking to model the teams after each other? What exactly is "another direction"?

I mean...until Gainey addresses these kind of questions...all anyone has to go off is that story and the quotes that come with it. And that alone is pretty telling of how things are being run right now with the organization.
LOL! Hey no offense to you man, I know you're just commenting on this story but come on man...

You want the Habs to hold a press conference now to explain to the hockey world, who I am sure is on pins and needles waiting to hear a reason, why they canned their minor league affiliate coaching staff???? Really?

There could be a miriad of reasons why the coaching staff wasn't retained, they could be legit or not, it doesn't matter and I REALLY don't care and I'm pretty sure everyone doesn't either...but hey, it's hard to pass up an opportunity to show that the Habs actually don't have class right? (not talking specifically about you, just the general 'perception' of the whole situation).

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 05:37 PM
  #80
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 30,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
LOL! Hey no offense to you man, I know you're just commenting on this story but come on man...

You want the Habs to hold a press conference now to explain to the hockey world, who I am sure is on pins and needles waiting to hear a reason, why they canned their minor league affiliate coaching staff???? Really?

There could be a miriad of reasons why the coaching staff wasn't retained, they could be legit or not, it doesn't matter and I REALLY don't care and I'm pretty sure everyone doesn't either...but hey, it's hard to pass up an opportunity to show that the Habs actually don't have class right? (not talking specifically about you, just the general 'perception' of this.
It doesn't have to be a press conference...I never said that...just something to the local (national if TSN is there) media, a few lines stating why they chose to "go another direction" and what that actual direction is. But no...they don't have any obligation to reveal their reasoning for it.

I know the anger isn't directed at me...but as a fan of another team looking at it, I'd be pretty aggravated if the Capitals did something like this without an explanation to the fan base of the AHL team when the team just came off a 102 point season.

Difference of management philosophy, I guess.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:01 PM
  #81
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 21,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
It doesn't have to be a press conference...I never said that...just something to the local (national if TSN is there) media, a few lines stating why they chose to "go another direction" and what that actual direction is. But no...they don't have any obligation to reveal their reasoning for it.

I know the anger isn't directed at me...but as a fan of another team looking at it, I'd be pretty aggravated if the Capitals did something like this without an explanation to the fan base of the AHL team when the team just came off a 102 point season.

Difference of management philosophy, I guess.
Can you name me of another instance in where an NHL team provided something to the local or national media about their decisions (firing/hiring) regarding the coaching staff of their minor league affiliate?

If you can do that, i'd give more credence to your argument...right now, I just think you're reacting like alot of non informed people do/have and automatically look at a inflamatory headline like this and start talking about who has class and who doesn't and blah, blah, blah...it's all fluff to me. What are we gonna have now? a story from TSN about how the Habs reached down and canned the assistant goalie coach of the Cincinnati Cyclones????

It sucks for Don Lever, he seemed like a good guy and did a very good job with the kids in Hamilton, furthermore, he sounded really floored by this decision, which to tell you the truth baffles me because he was told by Gainey to look for work elsewhere AND the Habs hired a NEW head coach. To me, as soon as Lever was promoted to the Habs, I knew that if he would ever have a future with the Habs it would be as a head coach and for obvious reasons, that would never happen...and either way, it's not like the Habs would promote Lever, only to demote him a few months after (that's not having class)?

Also, Gainey might not be the best GM in the league, however, his reputation as a man with class and dignity is irrefutable, if anyone actually thinks that Gainey's first contact with Lever & Wilson about his future with the Habs, was a phone call today, they're out of their minds

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:06 PM
  #82
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
It doesn't have to be a press conference...I never said that...just something to the local (national if TSN is there) media, a few lines stating why they chose to "go another direction" and what that actual direction is. But no...they don't have any obligation to reveal their reasoning for it.

I know the anger isn't directed at me...but as a fan of another team looking at it, I'd be pretty aggravated if the Capitals did something like this without an explanation to the fan base of the AHL team when the team just came off a 102 point season.

Difference of management philosophy, I guess.
No, no, this is not a difference of management philosophy. Every management team shuffles their deck and does not give the media the full story.

Please, tell me: who are all the scouts employed by Washington, what are their credentials, and who did they replace? Why were those former scouts individually replaced?

If you are not privy to this information, then why not?

The simple fact is that management teams have better things to do than explain their actions of their large personnel to everyone that's interested.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
  #83
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 21,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
No, no, this is not a difference of management philosophy. Every management team shuffles their deck and does not give the media the full story.

Please, tell me: who are all the scouts employed by Washington, what are their credentials, and who did they replace? Why were those former scouts individually replaced?

If you are not privy to this information, then why not?

The simple fact is that management teams have better things to do than explain their actions of their large personnel to everyone that's interested.
This...end of thread/

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
  #84
MrNasty
Registered User
 
MrNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
I thought I read a month ago when Lever's services were offered to the rest of the NHL that Lever said he was hoping for an NHL job and wasn't looking to go back to hamilton. Maybe I imagined this but it seems to ring a bell. So after the rest of the league didn't show interest in Lever he is suddenly upset as to why he is not being re-signed in Hamiton?...Gainey hired Martin and I am sure Martin explained what type of system he wants to coach and Lever and Wilson didn't jive...get over it.

The only thing getting that should be getting any attention here is the fact that TSN made their headline look negative towards Gainey.

BTW, perhaps Gainey is not happy with the attitude and work ethic of the young players...something that should be part of the AHL training.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:19 PM
  #85
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,827
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Does this mean we're getting Guy Boucher?
Because that'd be a dream.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
  #86
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
I am assuming Gainey was forced into this move by above. It smells like upper management/ownership to me. Along with the hiring of Martin.


Last edited by Toro: 06-22-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
  #87
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I am assuming Gainey was forced into this move by above. It smells like upper management/ownership to me.
Agreed. Ownership likely cares who's running the AHL team.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:44 PM
  #88
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 500
Did Brian Burke have to provide an explanation when he fired Marlies coach Greg Gilbert a few weeks ago? Of course not. This is ridiculous. An explanation wasn't provided for letting Rollie Melanson go either because it's not common practice. The Habs want some fresh blood in the organization.

Lever also whined when Gainey sent Halak to the Worlds and put Price in Hamilton for the AHL playoffs a couple of years ago. Look how that turned out. If it wasn't for that decision by Gainey, Lever doesn't have a Calder Cup ring and nobody cares about this contract not being renewed.

If the Habs brass mandate that the coach of the big club must speak fluent French,....well we sure as heck better be developing French speaking coaches in Hamilton. Please bring in Guy Boucher. Buh-bye Donnie!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:46 PM
  #89
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Does this mean we're getting Guy Boucher?
Because that'd be a dream.
could be
there were rumours of him being offered the Hamilton job

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
  #90
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Or maybe the new owners didn't like Don Lever's choice of ties...who cares!

When has there ever been a story about an NHL team explaining why they let go of their farm team's coaching staff?????????

This could be common practice for all we know...but we wouldn't know because in 29 other NHL cities, the ins and outs of an NHL team's minor league affiliate coaching staff just doesn't get much play...but for the Habs, it does. Ken Holland could have a robot coaching the Grand Rapids and no one would know/care

This story is lame...let's move on, nothing to see here folks
what you just said was a more direct way of saying what I wanted to say. I'm in total agreement. I remember when everybody called Gainey classless for getting rid of an old press officer or something when he first came on board. The fact is this story reeks of poor journalism, only this time from the national media.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 07:26 PM
  #91
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Can you name me of another instance in where an NHL team provided something to the local or national media about their decisions (firing/hiring) regarding the coaching staff of their minor league affiliate?

If you can do that, i'd give more credence to your argument...right now, I just think you're reacting like alot of non informed people do/have and automatically look at a inflamatory headline like this and start talking about who has class and who doesn't and blah, blah, blah...it's all fluff to me. What are we gonna have now? a story from TSN about how the Habs reached down and canned the assistant goalie coach of the Cincinnati Cyclones????

It sucks for Don Lever, he seemed like a good guy and did a very good job with the kids in Hamilton, furthermore, he sounded really floored by this decision, which to tell you the truth baffles me because he was told by Gainey to look for work elsewhere AND the Habs hired a NEW head coach. To me, as soon as Lever was promoted to the Habs, I knew that if he would ever have a future with the Habs it would be as a head coach and for obvious reasons, that would never happen...and either way, it's not like the Habs would promote Lever, only to demote him a few months after (that's not having class)?

Also, Gainey might not be the best GM in the league, however, his reputation as a man with class and dignity is irrefutable, if anyone actually thinks that Gainey's first contact with Lever & Wilson about his future with the Habs, was a phone call today, they're out of their minds
I don't think Lever was floored honestly. I think TSN twisted his words. They could have asked him what he thought of not being retained and he said "I'm pretty disappointed" and then tsn reports that as him being disappointed with how the decision went down.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
  #92
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Does this mean we're getting Guy Boucher?
Because that'd be a dream.
I'd be pretty stoked about Boucher.... but he's quickly becoming the second coming of Lecavalier, a saviour, a white knight in shinning armor. sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I am assuming Gainey was forced into this move by above. It smells like upper management/ownership to me. Along with the hiring of Martin.
HUH??? You gotta be kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I don't think Lever was floored honestly. I think TSN twisted his words. They could have asked him what he thought of not being retained and he said "I'm pretty disappointed" and then tsn reports that as him being disappointed with how the decision went down.
Could quite probably be what happened. Media outlets often do this, and yet there the ones who are supposed to bring us the ojective truth. No wonder Blanchard and Tremblay have jobs.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 07:56 PM
  #93
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I remember what people were saying about Lever before he won the Calder Cup... not pretty. I can't say I understand why anyone's surprised either, we've known this for a few weeks.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 07:56 PM
  #94
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 21,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
what you just said was a more direct way of saying what I wanted to say. I'm in total agreement. I remember when everybody called Gainey classless for getting rid of an old press officer or something when he first came on board. The fact is this story reeks of poor journalism, only this time from the national media.
Yeah, I was just reinforcing what you were saying...i couldn't believe they were discussing it on team 990 on my drive home either???

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 08:18 PM
  #95
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,019
vCash: 500
who gives a crap, honestly?

next year will be new players, a fresh start. A different philosophy.

I dont get why people got so attached to Lever. Its not like he is the only AHL coach out there.

some people just complain to complain.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:11 PM
  #96
snakeye
Registered User
 
snakeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,816
vCash: 500
I thought Gainey told Lever that he could look for a coaching job elsewhere over a month ago?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:13 PM
  #97
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,856
vCash: 500
Wow, didn't take Molson long to start doing things the way of old.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
  #98
milkshow
Registered User
 
milkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
There's already a thread...

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:21 PM
  #99
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
It could have been worse. He could have fired him via Twitter.

"GTFO LEVER UR FIRED LOL"

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:22 PM
  #100
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
Boucher groulx combo in hamilton

*drools*

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.