HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeffrey Vinik buys Lightning

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Symphony X

vCash: 500
Jeffrey Vinik buys Lightning

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1012505.ece

Quote:
There is unrest in the ownership group. There is dissension in the ranks. And, almost one year to the day after OK Hockey took control of the franchise, the possibility of a messy divorce between bickering owners is a real possibility.

Oren Koules and Len Barrie are scheduled to have a meeting today with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to determine which one of them will have the authority to make decisions for the franchise. In essence, the commissioner is determining custody of a hockey team.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:04 PM
CSampson

Best part:

Quote:
But, today, the fissure seems wide. The talk is that Koules wants to keep Lawton as GM, wants to trade Lecavalier to get out from under his $85 million contract and wants to pare the payroll to the low $40 million range. Barrie is not as solidly behind Lawton, wants to build around Lecavalier and is in favor of signing some free agents to get the payroll closer to $50 million.

The point is these differences must be resolved immediately. The draft is days away, and Lecavalier's no-trade clause kicks in on July 1. It is no exaggeration to say the fate of this franchise, for years to come, could very well be decided in the next 10 days.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Barrie doesn't like Lawton, wants to keep Lecavalier and raise payroll while Koules is taking the opposite approaches to each according to the article but Koules always seems to get a free pass while Barrie gets bashed all the time.

06-22-2009, 09:19 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Barrie doesn't like Lawton, wants to keep Lecavalier and raise payroll while Koules is taking the opposite approaches to each according to the article but Koules always seems to get a free pass while Barrie gets bashed all the time.

I told you man, its the hair. People hate the hair.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Mr Underhill

Well if what this reporter is saying about the two of them is true, as fans, its obvious we want Barrie to take control of the team.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:23 PM
brymel
HFBoards Sponsor

As a fan, I am getting a little bit tired of all of this crap. Enough is enough already. I read on another board that the rumor was they were 3 weeks away from filing for bankruptcy. I have no idea if it is true or not, but I am beginning to hope so. It's time for them to go...

Old
06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Untamable

Wow. I feel completely turned around. 10 minutes ago I would have taken OK over Barrie without batting an eyelash. But after reading this article, if what it says is true, I'm completely behind Barrie. Goodbye Oren.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Hockeyfan02

Awesome. Can't wait for some of the usual posters to bash the franchise and the fanbase on the main board.

I guess it isn't the Lightning without some sort of ownership debacle. It would have been nice if Mr. Davidson actually liked hockey, everyone seemed to bash the guy for not having a high payroll but he's the best owner the team has had.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Symphony X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamable View Post
Wow. I feel completely turned around. 10 minutes ago I would have taken OK over Barrie without batting an eyelash. But after reading this article, if what it says is true, I'm completely behind Barrie. Goodbye Oren.
And I never thought I would ever find myself agreeing with this. On a related note, does anybody else feel like this has been the longest year ever?

Old
06-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Barrie owns the majority of the franchise, seems it should be easy to decide who has final say. Koules has always come off as the face of the ownership but only put in 20 million. I can't find exactly how much money Barrie put in but it's more than 20 million.

Seems easy to decide who has final say. Barrie sounds like the better owner for the franchise. I would also say that once he sells Bear Mountain he will have more time and cash than Koules.

I am hoping this expedites Barrie buying out Koules and his partner Mark Burg because Barrie seems to be the better owner.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Awesome. Can't wait for some of the usual posters to bash the franchise and the fanbase on the main board.

I guess it isn't the Lightning without some sort of ownership debacle. It would have been nice if Mr. Davidson actually liked hockey, everyone seemed to bash the guy for not having a high payroll but he's the best owner the team has had.
Someone has to be best when choosing between the Yakuza, a redneck who only bought the Lightning because he couldn't afford the Dolphins and OK hockey.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Barrie owns the majority of the franchise, seems it should be easy to decide who has final say. Koules has always come off as the face of the ownership but only put in 20 million. I can't find exactly how much money Barrie put in but it's more than 20 million.

Seems easy to decide who has final say. Barrie sounds like the better owner for the franchise. I would also say that once he sells Bear Mountain he will have more time and cash than Koules.

I am hoping this expedites Barrie buying out Koules and his partner Mark Burg because Barrie seems to be the better owner.
God we can only hope that whoever takes over is the one who would rather spend than destroy. By the sound of that article, we're either going to get feast or famine. Jesus, this next week is going to be unreal...

Keep an eye on this...http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jon-J...Split/90/21671

Old
06-22-2009, 09:38 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

This is awesome. I'm going to be banned from the main board because of this.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

what a mess. And the timing couldn't be better

I'm not a fan of Len or Oren, but if Barrie wants to spend closer to $50 million, keep Lecavalier, and isn't 100% sold on Lawton, then I hope he gets control. I also think Barrie will be less hands-on compared to Koules, which is good for the team and Lawton.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Sear91

I hope Barrie takes over if this is the case... this article changed my position on the matter. I don't think OK making the moves would be as beneficial to the team and fans as Len making them would.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 8237
Awards:
Great... I've alway thought of Barrie as a loudmouth idiot, and Koules as the better choice...

If what was in the article is true... I'm pulling for Barrie to end up with control of the team and Koules to go make more movies and stay the heck out of Tampa...

Anything about Tampa on the main boards....Yeah..

Old
06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristia28 View Post
Ha. Isnt that usual though?

Old
06-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

Awards:
Quote:

Pretty much... I try and stay out of those threads, as it could end up going very badly

Old
06-22-2009, 09:53 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristia28 View Post
Kristia I may need your help on reversing a ban soon

Old
06-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
It's been that way since we won the Cup. Before we beat "Team Canada" nobody cared.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:56 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
It's been that way since we won the Cup. Before we beat "Team Canada" nobody cared.
IT WAS IN

Old
06-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
what a mess. And the timing couldn't be better

I'm not a fan of Len or Oren, but if Barrie wants to spend closer to $50 million, keep Lecavalier, and isn't 100% sold on Lawton, then I hope he gets control. I also think Barrie will be less hands-on compared to Koules, which is good for the team and Lawton.
The timing isn't a bad thing in my opinion. It's better to get this done now and decide who has final say before the draft and possible Lecavalier deal. If this leads to one of them being bought out and just one voice from the owners box it will be better for the franchise in my opinion.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post

Oh great... Just use little self control. I know it's going to be hard...but try anyway...

Old
06-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Saprykin Fan

hey

i told you guys about this months ago, its very very messy, and needs to be dealt with quickly, all arose at deadline when one wanted to trade vinny and one didn't.

Old
06-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
You're up the creek without a paddle there chief.

Closed Thread