HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeffrey Vinik buys Lightning

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

vCash: 500
Honestly I would have guessed it was Barrie that wanted to deal Vinny too, wasn't he the driving force between getting Boyle out of here as well?

Old
06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
So we are not drafting Ty Barrie anymore right?
No we are but we'll trade him shortly after.

Old
06-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Honestly I would have guessed it was Barrie that wanted to deal Vinny too, wasn't he the driving force between getting Boyle out of here as well?
Koules and Lawton seemed to give that impression during the Q&A. I believe that Barrie didn't like Boyle when they were teammates with the Panthers. I have no inside knowledge and it's just speculation but I could see the very physical Barrie not liking the soft small offensive defenseman who was also hated by Keenan.

Old
06-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

BTW, I was listening to Duemig on my way home (I know, I know but ESPN1040 sucks so much, fix it mike) and he said that Barrie has not put a single cent into the team while Koules has been here every day and bought a new house in Davis Island.

Consider the source because hes an idiot but just some info to pass along.

Old
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
BTW, I was listening to Duemig on my way home (I know, I know but ESPN1040 sucks so much, fix it mike) and he said that Barrie has not put a single cent into the team while Koules has been here every day and bought a new house in Davis Island.

Consider the source because hes an idiot but just some info to pass along.
Heard that too, but hes still an assclown.

Old
06-23-2009, 05:00 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Hopefully now they can atleast settle down and make a plan they stick to and develop the team, it would be nice for the team to have a future again.

Old
06-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Mr Underhill

Whatever happens, I hope it happens ASAP. The news is already out, and they're driving the effing fans crazy. If they are going to trade him, I could only wish it happens today or tomorrow.

Now that Koules's intentions have been documented, there needs to be a way for the fans to hold him accountable. He needs to address the fans if he plans on doing what has been written. Trading Vinny and lowering payroll to the floor needs to be explained. If he has a plan like Chicago then he needs to tell us. If he has no money and is forced to do this then he needs to get the 'f out. Jesus this is friggin nerve wracking.

Old
06-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Tampa 4 Life

I was listening to the radio(620WDAE) too, and agree with everything that was said. My only reasoning behind this, is the ruling coming from Gary Bettman. He has told the NHL that Brian Lawton is the GM and Oren is the man in charge-CEO. So this means that there wont be any backdoor deals done concerning Mr. Barrie. All deals done will have to go thru Lawton and Oren. My opinion is that "this is a good thing". Lawton and Koules have said many times that they do not want to trade Vinny, countless times. I think that we as Tampa Bay fans have finally found the Idiot rat in all this mess and his name is Len Barrie!!!!!

Old
06-23-2009, 06:30 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
Whatever happens, I hope it happens ASAP. The news is already out, and they're driving the effing fans crazy. If they are going to trade him, I could only wish it happens today or tomorrow.

Now that Koules's intentions have been documented, there needs to be a way for the fans to hold him accountable. He needs to address the fans if he plans on doing what has been written. Trading Vinny and lowering payroll to the floor needs to be explained. If he has a plan like Chicago then he needs to tell us. If he has no money and is forced to do this then he needs to get the 'f out. Jesus this is friggin nerve wracking.
Totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa 4 Life View Post
I was listening to the radio(620WDAE) too, and agree with everything that was said. My only reasoning behind this, is the ruling coming from Gary Bettman. He has told the NHL that Brian Lawton is the GM and Oren is the man in charge-CEO. So this means that there wont be any backdoor deals done concerning Mr. Barrie. All deals done will have to go thru Lawton and Oren. My opinion is that "this is a good thing". Lawton and Koules have said many times that they do not want to trade Vinny, countless times. I think that we as Tampa Bay fans have finally found the Idiot rat in all this mess and his name is Len Barrie!!!!!
Making Barrie a scapegoat and thinking OK and BL running the team will solve things is wishful thinking...

Old
06-23-2009, 06:38 PM
BRichards19

Lawton, Barrie, and Koules are all equally at fault for this mess as far as I'm concerned. The owners have worked in cahoots with Lawton from the very get-go and fact-is, we suck. I don't care about which of the three pulled the trigger on such-and-such a trade at such-and-such a time, these guys (plural) need to get their act together.

And here I was thinking we might actually have a rather calm offseason in comparison to last year...

Old
06-23-2009, 06:50 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRichards19 View Post
Lawton, Barrie, and Koules are all equally at fault for this mess as far as I'm concerned. The owners have worked in cahoots with Lawton from the very get-go and fact-is, we suck. I don't care about which of the three pulled the trigger on such-and-such a trade at such-and-such a time, these guys (plural) need to get their act together.

And here I was thinking we might actually have a rather calm offseason in comparison to last year
A few weeks ago, I was thinking we'd just draft Hedman, sign one or two medium priced FA's and be done with it. God, I was wrong...

Old
06-23-2009, 06:59 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRichards19 View Post

And here I was thinking we might actually have a rather calm offseason in comparison to last year...
The optimist in me says that the problems the organization has been having have just been solved. There is now one person calling the shots, and they seem dedicated to improving the team even if they don't have deep pockets. Maybe this is the event that lets the organization calm down.

Old
06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Not so fast

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...-for-now-.html

Quote:
No one from the league would comment, and neither would Koules nor Barrie. One person with knowledge of the situation begged off by saying he was under a "super gag order." But indications are that the hierarchy remains the same with Koules as CEO and governor and Brian Lawton as general manager and the point man when it comes to hockey operations. The belief is that both Koules and Barrie have to sign off on major player moves brought to them by Lawton, which is how it has been. That means if a potential trade for captain Lecavalier is discussed, it would need the approval of both owners and Barrie has made it clear he wants Lecavalier in the franchise, calling him a "generational" player.

Old
06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Mr Underhill

Does anyone else find it strange that ever since Bettman's decision this afternoon, nobody has spoken out on how they think this will effect the team? Its like nobody knows. I figured the rumor mill would be going crazy and everyone would have an opinion. As of right now, nothing. No DC, no EE, barely even a nod from Eklund.

Old
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Mr Underhill

Theres a link to RDS on the crHabs board that says Barrie has the ability to veto any trade. I post it but its in French.

Old
06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky born Pilot View Post
Not so fast

Quote:
That means if a potential trade for captain Lecavalier is discussed, it would need the approval of both owners and Barrie has made it clear he wants Lecavalier in the franchise, calling him a "generational" player.
I hope Barrie is true to his word. If so that would be great if Barrie could save Lecavalier from a possible disastrous trade

Old
06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Tampa 4 Life

What I don't get is, how can L.B make any decisions regarding the team when he has not put up any cash? Call me stupid but I just don't get it. The reports are stating that "he has not put up any cash what so ever" and that he has been in B.C selling off properties! Trying to get the cash. I don't know

Old
06-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa 4 Life View Post
What I don't get is, how can L.B make any decisions regarding the team when he has not put up any cash? Call me stupid but I just don't get it. The reports are stating that "he has not put up any cash what so ever" and that he has been in B.C selling off properties! Trying to get the cash. I don't know
He had to have put up some cash or else the sale wouldn't have gone thru.

I think what Duemig meant is he hasn't put up the cash to sign players since the sale, which would make sense since Koules lives on Davis Islands, at most games and at the forum everyday while Barrie spent the season in Victoria.

Old
06-23-2009, 07:56 PM
boomeraide

I think everyone needs to send messages/mail, etc to these wackos letting them know how they feels. They think they have money problems now. They better hope they book a heck of a lot of others shows to the forum to bring the money they will lose if they do the trade. My ex ticket rep says sales and renewals are really down and a lot of fans are waiting to see what happens.

Old
06-23-2009, 07:58 PM
boomeraide

Quote:
He had to have put up some cash or else the sale wouldn't have gone thru.

I think what Duemig meant is he hasn't put up the cash to sign players since the sale, which would make sense since Koules lives on Davis Islands, at most games and at the forum everyday while Barrie spent the season in Victoria.
If I remember correctly the old owners loaned these guys money so they had it for the sale.

Old
06-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylucky View Post
If I remember correctly the old owners loaned these guys money so they had it for the sale.
They loaned 105 million out of the 205 million purchase price. Barrie and Koules still put up a substantial amount.

Old
06-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Does anyone else find it strange that ever since Bettman's decision this afternoon, nobody has spoken out on how they think this will effect the team? Its like nobody knows. I figured the rumor mill would be going crazy and everyone would have an opinion. As of right now, nothing. No DC, no EE, barely even a nod from Eklund.
Bingo. No one knows what the **** is going on between these two morons.

Sounds like this meeting decided that both have to agree on team moves...which sounds like a completely novel concept when THEY BOTH OWN THE TEAM! I mean what was the process of decision making before?

Old
06-23-2009, 10:17 PM
redmachine54

Quote:
Theres a link to RDS on the crHabs board that says Barrie has the ability to veto any trade. I post it but its in French.
If you're interested, here's a loose translation. I'm not sure if posting the link is grounds for deletion; if so, could it just be edited out instead?

Quote:
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/277053.html

No Major Changes in Tampa

It seems like the meeting between the NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and the co-owners of the Tampa Bay Lightning did not bring about a major change in the organizational structure of the franchise.

For the moment, Oren Koules will keep his position as president and governor of the organization. From what RDS has learned, Bettman has revoked Barrie's right to contact [player] agents or other teams' [general] managers.

Barrie will still keep his right to veto for each transaction made by general manager Brian Lawton.

The only impact this has on Vincent Lecavalier's future is that the chances that he is traded from now until July 1st are null, unless Barrie suddenly changes his mind.

Bettman, Koules, and Barrie refused to comment on the situation upon leaving the NHL front officers in New York, Tuesday.

From what RDS reported Monday, Koules wants the salary of the Lightning to be $40 million in 2009-10, which indicates that Vincent Lecavalier would be traded.

Contrarily, Barrie wants to build a team around Lecavalier and spend $50 million.

Old
06-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmachine54 View Post
If you're interested, here's a loose translation. I'm not sure if posting the link is grounds for deletion; if so, could it just be edited out instead?
Great, so we're gonna keep Vinny and spend absolutely $0 on any FA's or trades. Pffff

Old
06-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Sear91

*sigh* I just hope this gets resolved quick. We need to do our best in the offseason, and we cant even get started on focusing on free agency if this stuff is continuing come July 1st. Someone needs to extend a hand and suck it up, not continue this bickering..

Closed Thread