HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Are we a scary team??

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 11:24 PM
CanoeRider

vCash: 500
Are we a scary team??

I think that even though we don't like to admit it, most teams actually don't wanna play Calgary, but could we be a darkhorse to either win an opening round or give teams some good competition(6 or 7 games)??

Old
03-26-2004, 11:27 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeRider
I think that even though we don't like to admit it, most teams actually don't wanna play Calgary, but could we be a darkhorse to either win an opening round or give teams some good competition(6 or 7 games)??
I have an idea. Lets ask that question again after we make the post-season.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Matts

Ha, Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
I have an idea. Lets ask that question again after we make the post-season.
this team scares me when they lead after 40. I'm sacred to look at our home PK since the beginning of Feb. I'm scared that it's so good I'll look it up and then Doan or Langkow will pot 2 in 3 or 4 opps on Sunday.

I'm scared to watch/follow those 3 OOT games tomorrow.

I'm sacred that we won't have enough left for the Blues game or that we'll still friggin' lose to Dallas with either Tugnutt or their rookie in net.

As for the playoffs, I would be totally sacred to play the Wings. Oilers man to man coverage will break down if you hold the puck long enough and the wings would eat us alive Legace or a hobbling Joseph. We dont have a Gigure and can you imagine trying to kill penalties at JLA?

The Sharks really don't scare me. I guess they should and they win the netminding battle but lots of guys not really battle tested either. Guys they are depending on

I don't think the Avholes should scare anyone who's willing to work hard. That team has a reputation for lacking heart. I'm not saying we'd beat them but I'd put money it's at least a six game series

Last edited by Matts: 03-26-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old
03-26-2004, 11:37 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
this team scares me when they lead after 40. I'm sacred to look at our home PK since the beginning of Feb. I'm scared that it's so good I'll look it up and then Doan or Langkow will pot 2 in 3 or 4 opps on Sunday.

I'm sacred that we won't have enough left for the Blues game or that we'll still friggin' lose to Dallas with either Tugnutt or their rookie in net.

I know this fear. This is why tonite I didnt listen/watch/follow this game in any way, shape or form. I just went out on the town and tried to pretend like nothing was going on tonite. Eventually I just called my dad long-distance to Canada to find out what happened.

Old
03-27-2004, 04:33 AM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
Not sure why They've lost a few ugly ones in overtime, but I don't think the Oilers have played a game this year where they didn't get at least a point if they were leading after 40. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Old
03-27-2004, 05:25 AM
CFABoy

No Not Very Scary

Sorry don't mean to break this to you.... but no team with Markenen and Conklin as their 1-2 punch will go far in the playoffs....

Old
03-27-2004, 05:35 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
you are right Oilerfan, which is why the I feel scary after 40 sounds funny.

We've never lost in regulation after leading at the 40minute mark.

Old
03-27-2004, 06:22 AM
boxall9

I work with a guy who is a big Wings fan and he told me that he would rather play anyone from the 5th place team down except Edmonton.

Old
03-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Matts

Well one reg loss when leading after 40

is equal to two blown leads that result in ties or OTL like say the Van game or Dal game or the other Dal game or the 1-1 tie vs Det.

Losing points is losing points.

This "no one wants to face Edm" is more mystique than it is fact, or at least that's my opinion. Yes we had a wicked OT series with the Stars in '01 and they went and got swept by the Blues and we did take a toll on them.

But the Stars are no longer a Cup contender anyway. They might make it to the WC finals this year but they wouldn't get two rounds in the East.

A lot of this talk has built from the Hitchcook method of throwing roses on the Oilers grave after Dallas had beaten us out once again. This isn't a Ron Low team that will try and run you through the boards like '99-00 and it isn't the first Low team that had outstanding playoff netminding in '97-98.

Now if one of Jussi or Ty caught fire, then yes it's a team to be reckoned with because I've always believed in the d corps and forward ranks.

But this isn't a team like Cgy where you have to be afraid of Kipper and his 2 goals or less allowed streak that he was on for such a long time.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:07 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Now if one of Jussi or Ty caught fire, then yes it's a team to be reckoned with because I've always believed in the d corps and forward ranks.
I don't think many teams will be scared of the Oilers. They shouldn't be in the playoffs if they were.

Should they make it, there are two characteristics of this years' Oilers that would be considered scary. First, they're on a bit of a roll, and they'll probably almost have to run the table to make it. Second, they've been dynamite even strength: fourth overall. In the playoffs the whistles are stowed. Penalties go down. Liberties are granted. Perhaps this tips the balance towards the good ES team?

Old
03-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFABoy
Sorry don't mean to break this to you.... but no team with Markenen and Conklin as their 1-2 punch will go far in the playoffs....
And I suppose you think that Cloutier is the guy to take the Nucks into the playoffs

Old
03-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Atlantic

Hey any team facing the red hot Edmonton Oilers should be scared. The Oilers have managed a point in their last 15 games, I beleive. Now that isn't a feat that many teams can boast about in the stretch-drive!

Old
03-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

i think teams have to be scared. IF we make it in, we've had I think the 2nd or 3rd best record since the all-star break, when any team can get points in 15 straight games, then you've gotta be scared. We've got 2 goalies that I'm comfortable with, but I think Conklin will break out as the #1 guy shortly. If the playoffs started today, we'd be playing San Jose, and that would be a great series, and a good change of pace from the annual battle with Dallas.

If we make it, and our opponent isnt scared, then they havent watched an Oilers game lately.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:33 AM
t0mf00lery

I think the only team that wouldn't be a little apprehensive to play Edm would be Dallas.

Old
03-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Atlantic

Let's see how well the Stars can cope with Tuggnut in net.

IMO, the Stars got very lucky last game vs. Oilers. 1) Turdco should have been thrown out with a 5 min. major ( 5min or 10 min. misconduct penalty, not sure about it...) rather than the 4 mnin. double minor?! 2) The Oilers would had a better shot at winning the game with that penalty to score as many goals as possible. 3) The Stars having a cold goalie in net and a lower scale in talent; face it Turdco had to make some big saves that game to keep Dallas in it for the third.

I know alot of should haves, and this and that theories. Still, it was the Oiler's game to win and they let themselves down in the third, the tying goal was a brutal one with Turdco pulled. So, I think the Oilers can win in Dallas next week, just for the fact that they are riding a huge wave of confidence with everyone onboard pitching in.

Old
03-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Tanko

We are scarier than Calgary isn't very good Kiprusoff was hot early and the Flames rode that to there position.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Tricolore#20

Every year people say they don't want to play the Oilers, and Dallas ends up drawing them and winning.

This year, all 8 of the opening round series in both conferences will be hotly contested. There are no major favourites this year, as all the perenial favourites have question marks going in.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:18 PM
streetballer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Every year people say they don't want to play the Oilers, and Dallas ends up drawing them and winning.

This year, all 8 of the opening round series in both conferences will be hotly contested. There are no major favourites this year, as all the perenial favourites have question marks going in.
all teams have question marks except Detroit. Now don't say goaltending because Manny Legace is a starter playing backup and CuJo is a very capable goalie. Their powerplay is very scary and their defensive corps is second to none. Detroit is the favorite in the west, Toronto favorite in the east as long as Nolan is healthy and not out from that reported knee injury.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Snakeeye

No, the Oilers arent very scary. There is little difference between an amazing hot streak in March than an amazing hot streak in November. Regardless of their recent play, the Oil, assuming they make it, will likely be given the longest odds of the 16 teams to do anything in this years playoffs.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Oilers Hockey

Conversely, the Lames have a huge reputation for choking in the playoffs - you know, not going anywhere since 1989. Whoever is lucky enough to face the Lames will sweep them with no effort.

I certainly don't expect the Oilers to go anywhere - but Cowtown's the same sad story.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Snakeeye

The status of the Flames is completely irrelevent to whether the Oilers are a scary team.

That being said, Calgary's goaltending and defense are signficantly better than Edmonton's. As such, there are probably six other teams in the western conference playoff picture that would take a matchup with the Oilers over the Flames.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Oilers Hockey

It's revelant because you're a Flames fan. Now, I don't think the Oilers are scary by any means - you're right, a miracle run doesn't equate in success in the playoffs - a fact lost on FLames fans.

If you don't like my opinion on Cowtown don't read it. The fact is though - as a team the FLames are anything but feared. Anyone they'll be matched up with has more playoff experience than Cowtown where it counts - winning playoff rounds.

Why I wouldn't be surprised if the FLames were running around like chickens with their heads cut off right from the first post-season puck drop.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
If I were one of the top 4 teams I wouldn't be afraid of the Oilers for one reason....goaltending.

The Oilers have a great group of forwards and d-men who are good enough to maybe win a round and I would love to see it. But unfortunetly I think that the weak link for the Oil is the goaltending.

Inexperienced goalies usually don't work in the playoffs...or in playoff drives.

I'm not sold on Conklin or Markannen as a number 1 now or ever.

Sure would love the Oil in the playoff though!!

Let's go Smytty and Neds
Unbiased Canadian

Old
03-28-2004, 12:48 AM
kruezer

Quote:

As for the playoffs, I would be totally sacred to play the Wings. Oilers man to man coverage will break down if you hold the puck long enough and the wings would eat us alive Legace or a hobbling Joseph. We dont have a Gigure and can you imagine trying to kill penalties at JLA?

The Sharks really don't scare me. I guess they should and they win the netminding battle but lots of guys not really battle tested either. Guys they are depending on

I don't think the Avholes should scare anyone who's willing to work hard. That team has a reputation for lacking heart. I'm not saying we'd beat them but I'd put money it's at least a six game series
I don't know man, as a Flame fan I want no part of the Av's, they've been flying under the radar way too much for my liking, I think they'll make the 3rd round at least this year.

Old
03-28-2004, 01:06 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
If I were one of the top 4 teams I wouldn't be afraid of the Oilers for one reason....goaltending.

The Oilers have a great group of forwards and d-men who are good enough to maybe win a round and I would love to see it. But unfortunetly I think that the weak link for the Oil is the goaltending.

Inexperienced goalies usually don't work in the playoffs...or in playoff drives.

I'm not sold on Conklin or Markannen as a number 1 now or ever.

Sure would love the Oil in the playoff though!!

Let's go Smytty and Neds
Unbiased Canadian
Well, Conklin did take his team to within one game of the Calder cup. Not NHL playoff experience perhaps, but it is something.

Closed Thread