HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we a scary team??

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2004, 01:10 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Edmonton's speed makes them insanely dangerous at ES and PK.

If only the PP would get its act together against a team not called the Vancouver Canucks.

Old
03-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
If I were one of the top 4 teams I wouldn't be afraid of the Oilers for one reason....goaltending.
While I wouldn't necessarily fear either Oiler goalie going in, which would you rather face - a totally unproven playoff goalie like we've got, or a guy like Cloutier who has already burst his team's bubble twice now? Being unproven isn't proof of future failure any more than having potential is a guarantee of future success, and they haven't proven anything negative to this point.

Quote:
Inexperienced goalies usually don't work in the playoffs...or in playoff drives.
While the Oil don't have the luxury of obtaining tried and true goalies due to the obvious financial constraints, we do have success in grooming them as I'm sure you're well aware.

Roy and Dryden won Conn Smythe trophies as rookies in this league and Ranford only had about 80 starts when he started the playoff run that got him a Cup and a Conn Smythe. The playoffs are where legends are forged, you can be sure that one or more players will make names for themselves this year, maybe it will be one of our goalies.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
No, the Oilers arent very scary. There is little difference between an amazing hot streak in March than an amazing hot streak in November. Regardless of their recent play, the Oil, assuming they make it, will likely be given the longest odds of the 16 teams to do anything in this years playoffs.
Err.. thanks for giving me more reason to laugh when Calgary burns into oblivion in the playoffs.. In fact if cowtown fans are not scared of the Oil, the Flames sure seem to be.. tanking the game against the preds was surely a sign of team confidence lol

Old
03-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
If I were one of the top 4 teams I wouldn't be afraid of the Oilers for one reason....goaltending.

The Oilers have a great group of forwards and d-men who are good enough to maybe win a round and I would love to see it. But unfortunetly I think that the weak link for the Oil is the goaltending.

Inexperienced goalies usually don't work in the playoffs...or in playoff drives.

I'm not sold on Conklin or Markannen as a number 1 now or ever.

Sure would love the Oil in the playoff though!!

Let's go Smytty and Neds
Unbiased Canadian
Well, the same can be said about our freinds the Flames and Kiprusoff. He has played in 3 playoff games that I know of, back in the 2001 playoffs. Sure he has been red hot this year and has stolen games for the Flames. However I am not sold that he will be the same in the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
No, the Oilers arent very scary. There is little difference between an amazing hot streak in March than an amazing hot streak in November. Regardless of their recent play, the Oil, assuming they make it, will likely be given the longest odds of the 16 teams to do anything in this years playoffs.

One thing you are forgetting is that the Oilers are a different team than in November.

Old
03-28-2004, 09:48 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetballer03
Toronto favorite in the east as long as Nolan is healthy and not out from that reported knee injury.
lol... Toronto is the favorite in the East? And it all depends on Nolan?

Wow. Toronto won't make it out of the first round this season, even with a healthy Nolan.

Old
03-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Cawz

Carreer games played in the playoffs:

Kiprusoff - 4
Aebischer - 2
Legace - 1
Vokoun - 0

As of right now, half the western conference starters have negligable playoff experience, so it looks like, as someone mentioned, new legends could be forged this year.

Quote:
Our tenders have worked great during our playoff drive. They are a main reason we are here. The Oilers have been playing in game 7's for the last 2 weeks and have continued to amass points. These last 2 weeks have meant as much as the first few games of any playoff series, and the tenders have held their ground. Hopefully the get a chance to prove it again in the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2004, 01:06 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
wasn't giguere 0 in playoff games played before the start of last year?

Old
03-28-2004, 01:25 PM
riles

Conklin also has a history of turning his game up when it matters most, he was stellar in the AHL playoffs last year. I think he'll surprise alot of people if we make it to the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
Err.. thanks for giving me more reason to laugh when Calgary burns into oblivion in the playoffs.. In fact if cowtown fans are not scared of the Oil, the Flames sure seem to be.. tanking the game against the preds was surely a sign of team confidence lol
Why would the Flames themselves be scared of the Oil? They flat out owned you.

Edmonton is not a threat come post season. Average goaltending, poor defense, poor special teams. That doesnt exactly spell "contender".

Yet when I point out this fact, the focus changes from your team to mine. Rather fascinating. Though I am curious... who are you guys trying to convince with these anti-Flames posts? Are you trying to convince me that the Flames arent a bigger threat than the Oilers, or are you trying to convince yourselves?

Seems like you are failing on both counts.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:

Edmonton is not a threat come post season. Average goaltending, poor defense, poor special teams. That doesnt exactly spell "contender".

Yet when I point out this fact, the focus changes from your team to mine. Rather fascinating. Though I am curious... who are you guys trying to convince with these anti-Flames posts? Are you trying to convince me that the Flames arent a bigger threat than the Oilers, or are you trying to convince yourselves?

I hope the Flames have a great playoff run and it's nice to see that there is some support for them here at hfboards, but try and make your visits to the Edm board a bit less inflamatory even if it means that you have to be the bigger person. The anti-Flames posts that you are so focused on are in the minority here and if you look at the overall picture you'll see that most of us are very concerned for the well being of our small market brothers in Cal, Buf etc...

Old
03-28-2004, 02:04 PM
windowlicker

Quote:

Without trying to incite any further arguments, Ill just state that everything you said in your response seems to be based on your personal opinion & bias, therefore most likely highly innacurate & simply designed to spark an argument.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:08 PM
The Rage

Quote:

When a Calgary fan comes to an Oilers board and starts dissing our team, sparks are going to fly. Heck, I've tried to make some constructive criticisms of the Flames on the NHL main boards and I was jumped by a pack of rabid Flames fans. If you step into fire, expect yourself to get burned.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:29 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Sorry Guys

Wasn't thinking with my "Flame the Flamers" post... it wasn't very classy of me. I should've heeded the "Don't feed the trolls" thread posted awhile back.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
Wasn't thinking with my "Flame the Flamers" post... it wasn't very classy of me. I should've heeded the "Don't feed the trolls" thread posted awhile back.
I don't think that what you did was so bad, the Flames aren't exactly "down" right now so a little kick here and there is ok. When both teams are doing well I intend to nurture every bit of hatred for them that I can muster, alas Dallas will probably be public enemy #1 for some time.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers upset Colorado or Detroit. The Oilers work so hard. They have lots of heart in my honest opinion. If the Oilers were to play Colorado in the first round; they'd win. The Avs have been playing like ***** lately and the Oilers have been playing playoff hockey for awhile.

Old
03-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
When a Calgary fan comes to an Oilers board and starts dissing our team, sparks are going to fly. Heck, I've tried to make some constructive criticisms of the Flames on the NHL main boards and I was jumped by a pack of rabid Flames fans. If you step into fire, expect yourself to get burned.
Is it really just "dissing your team"? The question was asked if the Oilers were a scary team. The honest answer is no. You guys dont have the goaltending, special teams, defense or coaching to be considered a threat to anyone in the playoffs.

Your run these last few weeks have been nothing short of amazing, but the playoffs are a whole different animal. If the Oilers even just make the playoffs, there will be such a sense of relief in Edmonton that even going out quickly will seem like a victory, because the Oilers werent supposed to be there in the first place.

As such, everything I said in my first post is accurate. The Oil do not scare the Red Wings (since it now appears that your greatest destiny will be 8th), nor are they likely to be given greater odds to succeed than anyone else. If you dont like the answer, dont ask the question.

Believe me, I'm not expecting that the Flames will run through the western conference on their way to an Anaheim like run either. I'll simply be in the Saddledome enjoying our first taste of the post season in eight years. We could debate the relative post season hopes of the Flames vs the Oilers, but that is a different topic, and none of us are objective anyway.

Old
03-28-2004, 06:08 PM
mudcrutch79

Quote:
You guys dont have the goaltending, special teams, defense or coaching to be considered a threat to anyone in the playoffs.
That's rich, a Flames fan telling people what success in the playoffs takes. I submit that this Oilers team is a scarier playoff team than people think for a couple of reasons. The special teams problem is somewhat overdone, given that I suspect if you look at the Oilers PK over the last 35-40 games, you'd see that they're in the upper echelon of the league. Similarly, moving on to the PP, I think that it's really been solidified with the addition of Nedved. Again, I don't have the numbers handy, but I suggest it's better than people think. We'll see, but I think a lot of the information around here has suggested that adding a top offensive player can really make a difference in that area. As for the goaltending, it's not name brand by any means, but I think that it's been more than adequate.

What makes the Oilers scary, in my opinion is their strong even strength play. This is also what makes me think Nashville would likely get hammered in the first round. Fewer PP opportunities in teh playoffs, and it's more of an even strength game.

I don't think that the Oilers would scare Detroit, as they are one of the few teams in the conference better at even strength, and they have a dominating PP, but other than that, I think any series could be a crapshoot. I wouldn't want to play Dallas, as they seem to have their act together now, but any other team should be worried about playing the Oilers in my opinion.

Old
03-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Cawz

So who should people be scared of in the west. I say Detroit, Dallas and Denver.

The 6 other teams should warrent fear, since they are all in the upper half of the NHL, but the teams I'd be scared of are the teams that seem to be able to raise their game up and dominate. Those 3 are the only ones I consider able to do that.

I hope people aren't scared of the Oil. Any team that takes their opponant lightly will be bounced at this point of the year.

Old
03-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Oilers Hockey

No kidding. This year - NO Flamer can say they know how a team can be successful in the playoffs.

Detroit would have no problem with us - their special teams hold the biggest advantage. Other than that I think the Oilers would give them trouble.

Calgary - nothings set in stone. Like I said, who knows the FLames won't be running around like chickens with their heads cut off? I expect no more than a 4-game sweep; no matter which team is lucky enough to face them.

Why did the conversation go to the Flamers? Well partly because we despise them, partly because your highly-condescending 'opinion'/bashing of the Oilers on our site. ***-for-tat as they say. Let's see an Oilers fan go to calgarypuck with the same attitude and see if those FLamers can keep civil. I seriously doubt it.

Old
03-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeRider
I think that even though we don't like to admit it, most teams actually don't wanna play Calgary, but could we be a darkhorse to either win an opening round or give teams some good competition(6 or 7 games)??
The Oilers are not a scary team. They are an underdog. That being said the Oilers are better searved in this role simply because as underdogs they may surprise the opposition early in the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2004, 09:15 PM
zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Let's see an Oilers fan go to calgarypuck with the same attitude and see if those FLamers can keep civil. I seriously doubt it.
Well, there actually are quite a few of them that post on Calgary Puck without too many hassles. It's not like someone such as you who almost creams their jeans after a spoof jumbotron bit on a public board and ****s the bed every time he sees a Flames fan post on the Oilers forum.

Getting on topic, the Oilers would definately be a scary team to face in the playoffs. Speed kills in the playoffs, as does effort, and the Oilers could definately do some damage, possesing both of those. They possess a bit of youth and a bit of experience and that's always a good combination as exubarence provides for a bit of spark. They might be able to win a series or at the least push it to 5-7 games. Here's hoping for a Flames/Oilers Conference Final (and a Flames Cup final )

Old
03-28-2004, 09:25 PM
mudcrutch79

Zoidberg's post count has to be a mistake...please someone tell me it's a mistake...

Old
03-28-2004, 09:29 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnaby_Joe
I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers upset Colorado or Detroit. The Oilers work so hard. They have lots of heart in my honest opinion. If the Oilers were to play Colorado in the first round; they'd win. The Avs have been playing like ***** lately and the Oilers have been playing playoff hockey for awhile.
This is true, but I don't think we are a match for the Avs, plainly put they dominate in every position and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Oilers burnt out a bit by this run.

But in anycase we're most likely going to face Detroit unless both Nashville and St Louis enter a self destruct mode.

Old
03-28-2004, 09:34 PM
rabi_sultan

Buffaloed increased Zoidberg's post count to match his ego crazy egomaniac

in any case someone posted it earlier and it needs to be stated again there are a few teams that have many unproven factors entereing the playoffs, especially in the west. The playoffs are when heroes are born and to say that Calgary or Edmonton will do no better or worse before the puck is dropped is just banter.

I can totally see why the Oilers aren't a scary team and why many teams would want to play the oilers in the first round, but then same could be said about Calgary. In short this year I don't think there is a certain team of the bottom three possible finishers that a team would want to specifically avoid, each one has a different dish to serve. The four I'm talking about are Calgary, St Louis, Edmonton and Nashville.

Closed Thread