HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Are we a scary team??

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Snakeeye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
No kidding. This year - NO Flamer can say they know how a team can be successful in the playoffs.
If no Flames fan can say they know how a team will be successful in the playoffs, then nor can any Oilers fan.

Do you guys realize just how stupid you sound? Doesnt matter what teams are actually playing, all fans are in the same boat: watching the games.

Seriously. You arent better fans because you happen to cheer for a team that made the post season last year. You are simply more arrogant.

As I said earlier, if you dont like the answer, dont ask the question. Attacking the Flames does nothing to change the fact that the Oilers are not a team that frightens anyone.

Old
03-29-2004, 09:59 AM
copperandblue

I think that if the Oilers make the playoffs, then their chances are better this year to make it out of the first round then their chances were for the last few years they were in.

A couple thoughts;

-I think the real power in the league has shifted to the East. The Western Conference domination is somewhat coming to an end. Yes Colorado, Dallas and Detroit are still contenders but not to same degree as in the past.

With that, I think the lower 4 teams in the conference ALL have a much better chance at getting by them as the pack of 8 naturally starts to group closer together.

-For all the talk about the Oil being in trouble because of Conklin and Marrkenen, for me they are one of the reasons I am more optimistic this year. I don't think the Oilers need stellar goaltending to upset in the first round. They do need consistent goaltending, which they didn't have last year but they should have with these two guys this year. There were some backbreaking moments last year and many of them were off of bad goals (the game six behind the netter was a beauty). So lets say they MERELY get consistent goaltending, then I say their chances automatically increase over last year. I don't think this team needs the goalie to steal the series anymore. The team has gotten better then the days when all eyes were on net going into the playoffs.

Now further to that, what if Conklin actually plays really really well? Then anything can happen. Sure it's a big question mark but at the same time when every goalie who has played well in the playoffs was starting his first playoff game, he did so with the same amount of experience as Conklin and Marrkanen. They have to start somewhere.

-For the first time in years, the Oilers are close to being in a spot where they can really roll 4 lines in a game. They are a much much different team post deadline then they were pre deadline and that opinion is not based on the run they have been on lately. When the deals went down, my first thoughts were that it would be a shame if they missed the playoffs this year because the team dynamics in general changed for the Oilers. They addressed their two biggest handicapps and did it without displacing the existing players. The biggets challenge will be simply making the show based on how the pre deadline team performed up until that point.

- As for Calgary, I think they win their first round BUT I also think that they do so on the back of Kiprusoff and as a team I would take Edmonton over Calgary any day. If Kiprusoff buckles, the Flames buckle with him.

Another note on Calagry that would kinda make me nervous is Sutter. First let me say that he would be my choice for the Jack Adams trophy but at the same time, look at his playoff record. He has coached better teams than this years edition of the Flames and never won a thing. The same way goalies sometimes get pegged as regular season players but not playoff performers, I wonder if Sutter is the NHL's coaching version. He goes to the whip so hard during the season that there simply isn't another level left for the players to achieve during the playoffs. When every other team finds the next level, it leaves his team behind.

Just my 2 cents

Old
03-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
The Oilers are scary... except in net. But who is in the West? The Oilers would be best matched with the Wings IMO. Why? Speed vs Speed and I believe the Oilers can overcome the Defense of the Wings.

Either way I dare anyone to pick for absolute certain a winner from the West. I agree with the Above post... the West is older and without Bertuzzi the Canucks are a notch below.

Yes the Oilers are a scary team.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:13 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think the scariness comes from the Oilers ability to seemingly be able to score at will.

I mean the Oilers have shown the ability to put in 30+ goals in a 7 game stretch. That to me would be worrisome (which is why I think Ottawa will do some damage in the East and Colorado/Detroit in the west).

Old
03-29-2004, 11:24 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I think this year especially, every team in the playoffs is scary... I think the only cake walk would be if Nashville made it since their play recently has been so substandard. I think the Oilers have as good a shot as anyone for an upset, and any team that has a 16 game point scoring streak against teams like the Stars, Blues, Avs, Canucks, Senator, and Sharks is a bit of a scary team.

I think also you cannot understate the importance of the Nedved deal. The trade transformed the Oilers through Nedved, Jussi, and the absence of Salo, you cannot look at the Oilers record and think this is the same team that was languishing in 11th place. They are getting good goaltending, the skaters are playing great now, and their offence is really starting to click.

Having said that, I don't think we are more scary than any of the other bottom 4 playoff teams at the moment (Blues, Flames, Nucks, Dallas, Isles, Habs, Sens, and Devils). There are 16 strong teams in the playoffs at the moment.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
I think this year especially, every team in the playoffs is scary... I think the only cake walk would be if Nashville made it since their play recently has been so substandard. I think the Oilers have as good a shot as anyone for an upset, and any team that has a 16 game point scoring streak against teams like the Stars, Blues, Avs, Canucks, Senator, and Sharks is a bit of a scary team.

I think also you cannot understate the importance of the Nedved deal. The trade transformed the Oilers through Nedved, Jussi, and the absence of Salo, you cannot look at the Oilers record and think this is the same team that was languishing in 11th place. They are getting good goaltending, the skaters are playing great now, and their offence is really starting to click.

Having said that, I don't think we are more scary than any of the other bottom 4 playoff teams at the moment (Blues, Flames, Nucks, Dallas, Isles, Habs, Sens, and Devils). There are 16 strong teams in the playoffs at the moment.
Well said!!

Old
03-29-2004, 03:07 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
If no Flames fan can say they know how a team will be successful in the playoffs, then nor can any Oilers fan.

Do you guys realize just how stupid you sound? Doesnt matter what teams are actually playing, all fans are in the same boat: watching the games.

Seriously. You arent better fans because you happen to cheer for a team that made the post season last year. You are simply more arrogant.

As I said earlier, if you dont like the answer, dont ask the question. Attacking the Flames does nothing to change the fact that the Oilers are not a team that frightens anyone.
Hey I don't want to start a Flame war (catch that pun ) but even though I disagree with you a lot, I back you here Snakeeye, lets not look down on other fans because they didn't have the team they cheer for make the playoffs, thats just condescending -on either side of the coin- but....keep the rivalry going

Closed Thread