HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's gonna back up Flower 09-10?

Old
06-22-2009, 11:18 PM
HeyYoNick8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HeyYoNick8
Who's gonna back up Flower 09-10?

Anyone know the goalies up for grabs this off season? I know Ty is more than likely gonna sign elsewhere if the Wings can't resign him. I wouldn't be opposed to having him back in Pitt.

HeyYoNick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Jacob

A lot of people assume Curry, but I don't see it. Shero's a big fan of depth, and Fleury's been injured for parts of the last two seasons, I wouldn't want to put our playoff hopes in Curry if Fleury goes down.

I think what we're looking for in a backup is A) A veteran that brings experience, B) someone good enough to push Fleury, and C) someone that will come cheap.

Conklin could be a good, cheap fit. Fits the above requirements, and is familiar with the team already.

Marc Denis might get consideration if management decides to have 2 backups on two-way deals in sort of a platoon role.

Gerber's out there. I've always heard he's a great teammate and has an impeccable work ethic.

On the Island, they've got both Danis and Joey MacDonald hitting the open market. They'll probably only sign one of them, whichever one they don't sign might be a good pick-up.

My pick is Manny Legace. He was the best backup in the NHL for a stretch of 4 years, brings tons of experience, can play starter's minutes in a pinch and should come cheap. He had a rough year last year but I'm fairly certain he can regain at least some of his past form.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:58 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
A lot of people assume Curry, but I don't see it. Shero's a big fan of depth, and Fleury's been injured for parts of the last two seasons, I wouldn't want to put our playoff hopes in Curry if Fleury goes down.

I think what we're looking for in a backup is A) A veteran that brings experience, B) someone good enough to push Fleury, and C) someone that will come cheap.
That's exactly how I am seeing things. They got Garon because he was a veteran that could teach and push Fleury like Conklin did the year before. Plus I think he would rather see Curry play 60 games in the AHL than 20 in the NHL.

Goalie market isnt very good for starters, but it should be good for backups. I can see us bringing Conklin back but I doubt Marc Denis is going to play an NHL game again. I would be shocked if Shero paid $1mm or more for a backup which would eliminate guys like Gerber and Anderson I think.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Midnight

Shero's hand will be forced by the cap. I believe Curry's current contract pays him the league minimum salary in the NHL, so that's pretty handy. He's never going to become the primary #1 guy here, so there's no sense worrying about his development being stifled by playing few games here. If anything, this is precisely the job that he was brought into the organization to do.

Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Curry, because he'll come very cheap and he's more than capable of a backup role.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Jacob

The salary difference between a guy like Curry and a legit backup like Conklin or Legace won't be more than 200k or 300k. That, to me, is well worth the investment to know for sure that we've got a solid backup should there be a mid-season injury, which there has been each of the last two seasons.

If Fleury gets hurt our goaltenders become Curry and Thiessen. I mean, seriously. We need a solid back-up.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
If there is a legit back-up goalie out there for cheap the option will be explored...if not, Curry.

I'd love to have Conker back, but the fact we're not playing an outdoors game severely hurts our chances.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Master Shake

Holy ******* no! Are you crazy? Hes been on the losing team 3 of the last 4 cups. Hes like the dead albatross from RotAM

PS_ then again, we could sign him and then cut him as soon as we clinch going to the Finals. I wouldnt be opposed to that

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Giskard

I remember that Fleury started to play pretty good after Garon was traded in. Curry would be our plan-b as backup goalie, but first we should see what will be available with an affordable price tag.
Even re-sign Garon in the 800k range would be good, since I don't know if he has a market as 1st goalie anywhere.

Giskard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYoNick8 View Post
Anyone know the goalies up for grabs this off season? I know Ty is more than likely gonna sign elsewhere if the Wings can't resign him. I wouldn't be opposed to having him back in Pitt.
I second this. I would like, very much, to have him back. I'm not crazy about our track record when it comes to picking back-up goalies at the beginning of the season.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:58 AM
JTG

I think Fleury has proven that he needs an established backup. Will that change now that he has won a Cup? I sure hope so.

It's almost foolish to bring Curry in as a backup when we can get an established NHL goaltender in here for a quarter million dollars a year more.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:49 AM
kovy1335

Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Probably not Curry, but it's going to have to be someone damn close to that price if this team is going to extend Letang and go after any wingers.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:05 AM
AK

Sebastian Caron.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:20 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I like the idea of bringing in a back-up who has some starting experience...someone like Legace or Conklin.

There have been opportunities over the past two seasons for the backup to see some stretches of starting time (with Fleury being injured) which makes me hesitant to name Curry as the backup right now.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:42 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Brad Thiessen

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Lucky Strike

So to summarize, pretty much everyone agrees that we should find a quality backup for less than 1 million and if this can't be done, Curry will be the guy. Makes sense. What do you think about Elliott or Auld from Ottawa? With the addition of Leclaire there, one of those will be the odd man out. I'm not sure what their contract situations are like there, however, but both could do the job.

Lucky Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I think Ray is going to find a way to keep a couple of our guys like Feds and possibly Scuds, or will pick up a decent FA winger and in so doing will force his own hand WRT to goalies. We have a big pool of goalies in the minors. If Curry has a good camp and funds are tight, he'll be the backup IMO and will get some starts early in the season against lesser teams. You have to get him the NHL experience some time....

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
So to summarize, pretty much everyone agrees that we should find a quality backup for less than 1 million and if this can't be done, Curry will be the guy. Makes sense. What do you think about Elliott or Auld from Ottawa? With the addition of Leclaire there, one of those will be the odd man out. I'm not sure what their contract situations are like there, however, but both could do the job.
Elliot's an RFA and Auld has one year left at $1 million. Both would make fine backups but there are so many goaltenders in free agency this year that it wouldn't make sense to give up anything to get one of these two guys when you could sign another goalie who's just as good.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
SirJordanStaal11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I think Fleury has proven that he needs an established backup. Will that change now that he has won a Cup? I sure hope so.

It's almost foolish to bring Curry in as a backup when we can get an established NHL goaltender in here for a quarter million dollars a year more.
Even if Fleury has a very strong season, I would still want an established backup just in case of injuries. That sounds obvious and all, but skimping on a backup goalie is one of the things that can really sink a team if they get unlucky. Imagine what Calgary would have done if Kipper got injured this year. Curtis Mclinney was terrible and that could have really hurt them.

SirJordanStaal11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Jag68Sid87

I am in a hurry to see Fleury/Curry, so what's the worry?

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Curry Man

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:02 AM
davemess

I think you probably go with Curry, he has 2 full years in the AHL and deserves the opertunity to see how he goes in the NHL.

If he struggles and isnt playing up to par then how tough is it going to be go out and get an experienced Goalie in trade or off the UFA market? Not all that tough i suspect.

davemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:02 AM
SirJordanStaal11*

Just remember to ask yourself if you are considering Curry:

Is this a guy that could carry the load for us, if he had to? We had that with Ty Conklin, but no other backup in the past few years we have had have I been truly comfortable with.

SirJordanStaal11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin a shake View Post
Just remember to ask yourself if you are considering Curry:

Is this a guy that could carry the load for us, if he had to? We had that with Ty Conklin, but no other backup in the past few years we have had have I been truly comfortable with.
I don't think anybody thought Ty Conklin could carry the load for us back then. Fleury got hurt and everybody about crapped their pants worrying what we were gonna do for a goalie. Conklin got his chance and made the most of it. You have to give guys that opportunity. It's time for Curry to get his opportunity imo. Maybe he'll fail, but we won't know until we give him a chance to.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Deadbolt401

We should trade Staal for Gigure. (sp.)

Deadbolt401 is offline   Reply With Quote