HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nedved's comments on playing in Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 11:42 PM
USC Trojans
AD

vCash: 500
Nedved's comments on playing in Edmonton

Have you guys heard the little Nedved clip on edmontonoilers.com yet? I'll just give a brief summary here...

**He basically says that he really likes the Oiler's style of hockey and our never say die attitude and how we never quit and play hard for the entire 60 minutes of the game.

He also says that he enjoys playing in meaningful games like the Oilers are doing right now and feels that he's more prepared mentally for those sorts of games. He also enjoys the feeling of winning these games and it makes him feel less tired.

Finally, he says that like in NY, there's a lot of pressure playing in a hockey hotbed like Edmonton, but its a different kind of pressure here and feels like he's up to the task of facing this pressure. **

It sounds like he's really enjoying the hockey environment here in Edmonton...rather than facing the pressure of fans and management in meaningless games while in New York. Its probably been a while since he's played a meaningful game this late in the season and really wants to step it up and make a difference in our drive to the playoffs.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:48 PM
FacelessButcher

Just came to post this very thing already had the audio link ready for copy and pasting
http://edmontonoilers.com/assets/aud...325-nedved.mp3

Last edited by FacelessButcher: 03-26-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old
03-26-2004, 11:51 PM
mackdogs*

With the Oilers making a bit of $$ already this year and a round or 4 of playoff revenue *crosses fingers* there's no reason we can't sign this guy. Maybe global warming will give Edmonton Cali weather and he'll have no reason to say no. :p

Last edited by mackdogs*: 03-26-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Old
03-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Cerebral

Definitely an encouraging sign.. hopefully we can get into the playoffs and show Petr how amazing the playoff atmosphere in Edmonton is!

Old
03-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Fists of Fuhry

PETR THE GREAT!!!!

Old
03-27-2004, 12:42 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

I like having Nedved on the Oilers.

There are lots of shifts where I don't like having him on the Oilers-- shifts where he gets pushed around more than a 6'3 guy ought to, shifts where he turns away from a check or doesn't compete as hard for the puck as we expect an Oiler to.

But he also has shifts where he can make some pass or shot that nobody else on the Oilers could make. I don't think Nedved has as many good shifts as, say, Shawn Horcoff. But Nedved can make as much difference in one good shift as most Oilers can make in a whole game of good shifts. It can be a little frustrating watching the shifts when he doesn't seem to be competing that hard, but he makes up for it when he does get loose.

Just a different type of guy in the mix, a different kind of threat than Oiler oppoents are used to. You couldn't win with a whole team full of Petr Nedveds, but contrary to what Ron Low used to think, you couldn't win with a team full of Kelly Buchbergers either.

Old
03-27-2004, 01:29 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Any chance of Nedved returning next year? I read somewhere that after Salo was dealt his money would be used on resigning Nedved. I'd like to see him back, but it'd have to be at a lower price.

Old
03-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I like having Nedved on the Oilers.

There are lots of shifts where I don't like having him on the Oilers-- shifts where he gets pushed around more than a 6'3 guy ought to, shifts where he turns away from a check or doesn't compete as hard for the puck as we expect an Oiler to.

But he also has shifts where he can make some pass or shot that nobody else on the Oilers could make. I don't think Nedved has as many good shifts as, say, Shawn Horcoff. But Nedved can make as much difference in one good shift as most Oilers can make in a whole game of good shifts. It can be a little frustrating watching the shifts when he doesn't seem to be competing that hard, but he makes up for it when he does get loose.

Just a different type of guy in the mix, a different kind of threat than Oiler oppoents are used to. You couldn't win with a whole team full of Petr Nedveds, but contrary to what Ron Low used to think, you couldn't win with a team full of Kelly Buchbergers either.
Totally agreed, this is a very good point that you make. A prime example is his goal to make it 3-1 tonight against LA... ONE play, ONE chance, ONE break, and he gets his 300th goal. How many chances does it seemingly take for Horcoff to score a goal when he's close to the net? Nedved's skill can be the difference in ONE play in one game, but like you said, don't expect to win with a team full on Nedved's. This is coincidentally why I think the Rangers could never win in the last few seasons.

Old
03-27-2004, 02:49 AM
Oi'll say!

Good post o-g-e.

I think Nedved is a lot like AC in his lack of physical play but Anson was basically just a shooter with no other top-level skills, Nedved is a solid puck posession guy who can shoot as well.

Old
03-27-2004, 05:33 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Nedved will be that missing skill factor that we needed on this team, we still need i would say one more on the top line but for now he'd be great. I mean if he carried this form into a whole season then I am sure the Oilers would have lost/drawn less games then they have this year.

Old
03-27-2004, 11:42 AM
copperaddict

One skill that he has that is rubbing off on the other guys is his ability to shoot for the water bottle on every shoot.With goalies going down on every shoot and even when the shoot hasn't been taken yet your % is much better going top shelf.I see more Oilers going this way since Nedved showed up.

Old
03-27-2004, 11:56 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
One skill that he has that is rubbing off on the other guys is his ability to shoot for the water bottle on every shoot.With goalies going down on every shoot and even when the shoot hasn't been taken yet your % is much better going top shelf.I see more Oilers going this way since Nedved showed up.

Just a gentle reminder to all.
"Do it, like he does it."
Gotta love it!!!

Closed Thread