HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ales Hemsky

Old
06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Spoke

vCash: 500
He is worth less than it would take to get him

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:29 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
He more than makes up for that with the amount of points he scores. I dont think Hemsky averages around 90 points a year. Nor did I say he was untouchable.
LOL,
Savard was no where near the player Hemsky is, when he was 26. Hemsky has been ~0.92PPG since the lockout, when he was 22.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Really..for a guy who has never scored more than 25 goals hes one of the most untouchable in the league? I doubt it. Good prospect + 1st would get the deal done.

*awaits reply about his playmaking skills*
What sheer and utter nonsense. I'm an oiler fan and I know how all of us overvalue our own players but there is ZERO chance you could get Hemsky and his present contract for a good prospect and a #1 unless you were talking about the 1st pick overall in the draft and a top prospect.

He is certainly not untouchable but he won't be traded unless a bonified star came back the other way.

The reason he won't be dealt is that the Oilers have been trying to find skilled players to play with him and get the best out of him for years.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Kotton

The Edmonton Oilers are a team playing just under the cap, and just out of the playoffs. Ales Hemsky is one of the only players on the team able to outperform his cap hit and therefore is extremely valuable to the organization.

He's a 25 year old first line forward who hasn't put it all together yet, and may never in fact do so, but for now he is the best contract Edmonton has and short of Sam Gagner probably the last player they would deal.

Kotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Vipers

So the problem is in the center position, not in the wings.

Vipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
As others have said -- it's mainly his contract/desire to play that makes his worth to Edmonton. Although Heatley is definitely a better player, Hemsky at 4.1 million is worth more (IMO) than Heatley at 7.5 million. 3.4 million gets you a very nice player. Added to that - it's pretty rare to find good players willing to play in Edmonton...
A better player like Fernando Pisani or Dustin Penner? You are right about it being difficult to find good players that want to play in Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Savard has never broken 30 goals, I wonder if he'll be bought out soon?
In 6 seasons Hemsky has never reached point a game status. Savard has done it each of the last 5 years and on good and bad teams. Savard is in another world compared to Hemsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumjoo Wang View Post
Alot less than Oiler fans think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
What is he worth? Difficult question.

What would it take to get the Oilers to deal him? A massive offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
What sheer and utter nonsense. I'm an oiler fan and I know how all of us overvalue our own players but there is ZERO chance you could get Hemsky and his present contract for a good prospect and a #1 unless you were talking about the 1st pick overall in the draft and a top prospect.
You people are on crack. The first overall pick and a prospect for Hemsky? A massive offer? Who is he, Ovechkin? He's a 70 point RW, not a franchise player.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:55 PM
GoldenTicket

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
washington: alzner, 1st round, and gutafsson for hemsky L
Go fish

GoldenTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
GoldenTicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
A better player like Fernando Pisani or Dustin Penner? You are right about it being difficult to find good players that want to play in Edmonton.

In 6 seasons Hemsky has never reached point a game status. Savard has done it each of the last 5 years and on good and bad teams. Savard is in another world compared to Hemsky.

You people are on crack. The first overall pick and a prospect for Hemsky? A massive offer? Who is he, Ovechkin? He's a 70 point RW, not a franchise player.
Have you even seen this guy play? He is pure talent. He just can't carry his line by himself. Every time the guy touches the puck you know he's going to skate through 2 or 3 guys and make them look foolish. Hemsky will never be traded and if he is it's my last day as an Oiler fan

GoldenTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Quote:

Savard only started breaking 70 points a few seasons ago. He is a better player than Hemsky right now, but he's also six years older.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
He is worth less than it would take to get him
Yeah this pretty much sums it up. Hemsky is not a franchise player but he can make the players around him better. He would have made Shawn Horcoff a 30 goal scorer Horcs didn't get injured. The oilers would have to get a ridiculously stupid offer to pry him out of edmonton.

Also imo the guy is a pretty clutch scorer. He just seems to get goals when his team needs it. Like Jaromir Jagr once said about him "Ales Hemsky, he's not afraid to be great"

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 04:54 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
unless you were talking about the 1st pick overall in the draft and a top prospect.
I dont think you understand his value. He may be the Oilers franchise player but he would not be on almost any other team. Not even close to worth the 1st overall and top prospect. Thats one of the most ridiculous things ive seen on here.. im done debating this.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Really..for a guy who has never scored more than 25 goals hes one of the most untouchable in the league? I doubt it. Good prospect + 1st would get the deal done.

neither has Henrik Sedin but it's rumoured that VAN is offering him a 10 year deal

Quote:
I dont think you understand his value. He may be the Oilers franchise player but he would not be on almost any other team. Not even close to worth the 1st overall and top prospect. Thats one of the most ridiculous things ive seen on here.. im done debating this.
good.

Hemsky isn't worth an overpayment but in todays cap world thats what it would take to pry him out of Edmonton. I wouldnt trade Hemsky for Heatley straight up because there's no way Heatley produces with Horcoff as his set up man. Plus we don't have the cap space.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Pure

I wouldn't offer more than what Alex Tanguay got.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Alex28*

Hemsky man-love is in a whole different universe than man-love for any other player in the NHL. Probably has to do with a combination of Hemsky being their first 1st rounder who panned out in god knows how long and Edmonton getting jilted by every bypassing star from Gretzky to Pronger, with Hemsky serving the role of a lower-middle class toaster girl offering up her empathetic embrace for those who loved and lost and cannot live without loving again.

Put it this way, if I were to offer Ovechkin straight up for Hemsky, Edmonton fans would whisper no with tears in their eyes.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Someone

Why is it every time one of these threads (value of team X's best player) comes up, people always need it explained to them that teams tend not to want to trade their best player? And why is it, even once it's been explained in said thread, people still don't get the picture?

Hemsky is Edmonton's best forward. Barring a trade/signing, and if no young guys step up, Shawn Horcoff will probably once again be our second highest scoring forward. Do you think we really want to trade our only legitimate first line forward for picks/prospects, leaving a bunch of second liners? I think not.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Neither would I, I was just using an example of how valuable Hemsky is as a player and a fan favourite.
Yeah, I was trying to help further sell Hemsky's value. I'm a habs fan and see Heatley far too much (Sneeze guard wearing son of a *****)

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
I wouldn't offer more than what Alex Tanguay got.
Which return? Leopold and two seconds rounders, or the latest return when the Flames dumped him so they could pick up Cammelerri?

Hemsky has much better value than Tanguay, considering he makes over a million less and is a better player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Hemsky man-love is in a whole different universe than man-love for any other player in the NHL. Probably has to do with a combination of Hemsky being their first 1st rounder who panned out in god knows how long and Edmonton getting jilted by every bypassing star from Gretzky to Pronger, with Hemsky serving the role of a lower-middle class toaster girl offering up her empathetic embrace for those who loved and lost and cannot live without loving again.

Put it this way, if I were to offer Ovechkin straight up for Hemsky, Edmonton fans would whisper no with tears in their eyes.
What are you, 12 years old? Whats the point of this post, other than to try and start an argument? Sort of like this poster as well...
Quote:
Whats the point of bringing this up in a Hemsky value thread?

Quote:
I dont think you understand his value... im done debating this.
Thats good because you dont understand his value either. You have not once mentioned his contract, which is very important in discussing value in the capped NHL.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:44 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
Why is it every time one of these threads (value of team X's best player) comes up, people always need it explained to them that teams tend not to want to trade their best player? And why is it, even once it's been explained in said thread, people still don't get the picture?

Hemsky is Edmonton's best forward. Barring a trade/signing, and if no young guys step up, Shawn Horcoff will probably once again be our second highest scoring forward. Do you think we really want to trade our only legitimate first line forward for picks/prospects, leaving a bunch of second liners? I think not.
Gagner will be either the top scoring or 2nd in scoring not Horcoff.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Sheky Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
Go fish

oh my, that may be the funniest thing I've read in a year or so....good work

*beer shooting out my nose*

Sheky Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:21 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Yes, a massive offer.

What fans of other teams consider "fair value" in a trade for Hemsky simply isn't going to be enough to pry him loose. Period.

Intertards on teh interweb can write "bah, he is not worth more than a mid 1st and a prospect", but the Oilers would never do that trade, so if the question (as asked in the opening post) is "What would it take to wrench him from EDM?" then "a mid 1st and a prospect" is the wrong answer.

To frame the question in terms you can understand, imagine Ernie walks into Mr Hooper's store and sees a watermelon that costs $2. If Ernie tells Mr Hooper that he won't pay more than $1 for the watermelon, Ernie is leaving without the watermelon.

I hope that helps clear things up for you. Now head on back to Calpuck and ask Reggie to give you a fresh take.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:33 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
He more than makes up for that with the amount of points he scores. I dont think Hemsky averages around 90 points a year. Nor did I say he was untouchable.
My point was that picking an arbitrary number and an arbitrary stat as a measuring stick and claiming that because he has never surpassed it so he's not that good is a ridiculous arguement.

Gretzky has never broken 60 PIMs!!!! What a useless player!!!!!

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:41 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:

It took savard 8 years to put together a single PPG campaign. Hemsky's only been in the league for 6 years. Savard also had Kovalchuk and Heatley on his team when he finally managed PPG pace (In a season he missed almost half the season due to injury).

His best season before that was a .844 PPG. Hemsky managed .951 PPG in just his 3rd season in the league.

Let's try to keep our player anaylsis in perspective, shall we?

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It took savard 8 years to put together a single PPG campaign. Hemsky's only been in the league for 6 years. Savard also had Kovalchuk and Heatley on his team when he finally managed PPG pace (In a season he missed almost half the season due to injury).

His best season before that was a .844 PPG. Hemsky managed .951 PPG in just his 3rd season in the league.

Savard was also Iginla's set up man when he finally peaked. Too hard to tell if Hemsky will ever put up numbers like Savard has. It will only be decided once Hemsky gets at least one sniper on his line. For the record I think Horcoff would get 90 points centering Heatley, and Kovalchuck...

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:59 PM
sketchy

Quote:

And I think that says it all. We hear about how the Oilers are a crummy team, full of second and third liners and 83 puts up .951PPG. If he's not scoring about 78 goals a year that means he's helping other people score some (hence - assist).

No, he's not Ovechkin or maybe even Backstrom, but HIS VALUE to the Oilers would make me want to ask for at least a top 5 pick and a top line player, because if you donate Hemsky to another team your options at RW are: Pisani, O'Sullivan, Pouliot, Stortini, and MacIntyre. If there's no comparable coming back you can't make that trade, which is why Hemsky is nigh untradeable (watch him get moved at the draft for two seconds and the rights to Georges Laraques' Brother).

sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

Yeah 1st overall was a stretch on my part admitedly, but a mid 1st and a prospect offer is just as much of a 'on crack' offer.

Hemsky has no one to play with on the other wing and his centre is a boat anchor.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote