HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ho! Ho! Ho! It's draft week

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2009, 06:22 AM
  #1
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,116
vCash: 500
Ho! Ho! Ho! It's draft week

http://habsinsideout.com/main/20626

- Timmins spent a lot of time in Sweden
- We don't draft for needs
- He thinks we're going to get a future NHL'er....

You have to love the question "How many times did you visit Minnesota"....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:32 AM
  #2
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
-Sweden
-Not necessarily draft for needs, leaving it open for another defensemen

Maybe he has his eyes on Rundblad? Josefson? Or maybe just scouting for later in the draft?

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:41 AM
  #3
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
-Sweden
-Not necessarily draft for needs, leaving it open for another defensemen

Maybe he has his eyes on Rundblad? Josefson? Or maybe just scouting for later in the draft?
True that there are a lot of talent in Sweden: Rundblad, Erixon, OEL (who will be gone), Josefson or later with the Rodin, Lander, Klingberg and a whole lot more.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:58 AM
  #4
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
True that there are a lot of talent in Sweden: Rundblad, Erixon, OEL (who will be gone), Josefson or later with the Rodin, Lander, Klingberg and a whole lot more.
I hope we'll be able to get one or two of those Swedes! At least 10 of them should go in the top 3 round...and there might be more. It's THE years for Sweden. It's weird to see a big bang like that in one country, but it happens a few times...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 07:28 AM
  #5
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,093
vCash: 500
I think BPA works to a certain extent, But we're hurting for centers and this mentality hasn't got us too far when it comes to our center depth

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 07:43 AM
  #6
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,287
vCash: 500
There's a bunch of Swedes sleepers as well this year that will be available in later rounds. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if that's where we grab a few.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:44 AM
  #7
fredez
Registered User
 
fredez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Sweden's crop of players is very strong this year so I'm very happy that Timmins spent more time than usual there.

Rundblad and Josefson could be available by the 18th pick. I really like what I've seen from Rundblad in the SEL, his hockey smarts are very advanced for a guy his age and he has a tremendous ability to join the rush and set up plays offensively. A lot of things about his game reminded me of Andrei Markov : cross-ice feed in the offensive zone, ability to get the puck in the offensive zone without dumping it, "cerebral defensive game" = reads the play well and positions his body well (without laying a big hit). Of course he might never reach such a upside, but he certainly has the tools to do it and you can't say that about many prospects.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:47 AM
  #8
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Where's the radio host from Laval or somewhere who is on here every year this time...he usually had good picks. I remember he hit the nail on head with McDonagh and Fischer. Forget his screen name now

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:01 AM
  #9
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
http://habsinsideout.com/main/20626

- Timmins spent a lot of time in Sweden
- We don't draft for needs
- He thinks we're going to get a future NHL'er....

You have to love the question "How many times did you visit Minnesota"....
There is so much to read between the lines in that interview, greeeeeaaaaaatttt read thank you Whitey.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:21 AM
  #10
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think BPA works to a certain extent, But we're hurting for centers and this mentality hasn't got us too far when it comes to our center depth
The thing about drafting the BPA is that they should develop into the best possible assets that could be taken at that slot. The Subban and Weber picks looked to be overkill in the 2007 draft after the McDonagh pick and the 2006 draft had added Valentenko, Carle and Fischer to the Habs stable. However, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think that one of those Dmen could be parlayed into a centre or centre prospect through a trade if need be.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
  #11
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
There is so much to read between the lines in that interview, greeeeeaaaaaatttt read thank you Whitey.
For sure!

"We don't interview every single one," Timmins said. The Canadiens did not talk to players such as John Tavares or Victor Hedman, who are going to picked at the top of the draft.... "maybe not the top 10..."

So we shouldn't expect the Habs to trade up more than a couple of spots.

"I spent more time in Sweden than I ever have," Timmins said. "So that tells you where a lot of players are going to be coming from in this draft."

Jacob Josefson is probably a good bet for the Habs' top pick, if he's available (and if Leblanc isn't). No serious flaws in his game, holding his own against men at 17 years old. But that's if he gets past the Blues...

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:27 AM
  #12
vad87
Registered User
 
vad87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
There is so much to read between the lines in that interview, greeeeeaaaaaatttt read thank you Whitey.
I have the feeling that Timmins is really high on Rundblad and Erixon. Even more on OEL but he'll be picked way before us.

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:30 AM
  #13
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
For sure!

"We don't interview every single one," Timmins said. The Canadiens did not talk to players such as John Tavares or Victor Hedman, who are going to picked at the top of the draft.... "maybe not the top 10..."

So we shouldn't expect the Habs to trade up more than a couple of spots.

"I spent more time in Sweden than I ever have," Timmins said. "So that tells you where a lot of players are going to be coming from in this draft."

Jacob Josefson is probably a good bet for the Habs' top pick, if he's available (and if Leblanc isn't). No serious flaws in his game, holding his own against men at 17 years old. But that's if he gets past the Blues...
Quote:
I have the feeling that Timmins is really high on Rundblad and Erixon. Even more on OEL but he'll be picked way before us.
His trips to Sweden might be the reason why we signed Johanson.

And the fact that he said he's going for the BPA and that he thinks he's gonna draft an NHLer might point out that he's gonna draft a realy conservative pick. So no Peter Holland.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:38 AM
  #14
DeVries*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In your face
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
http://habsinsideout.com/main/20626

- Timmins spent a lot of time in Sweden
- We don't draft for needs
- He thinks we're going to get a future NHL'er....

You have to love the question "How many times did you visit Minnesota"....
Hope that doesn't mean that damn ******* Timmins will pass again over a big center... :Facapalm:

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:44 AM
  #15
fredez
Registered User
 
fredez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
His trips to Sweden might be the reason why we signed Johanson.
Johansson played for Farjestad. Just for fun, here are the draft eligibles form this team :

Marcus Johansson (played 45 games)
Henrik Bjorklund (played 10 games)
Robert Thellberg (played 1 game)
Filip Gunnarsson (played 1 game)
Gustaf Thorell (played 17 games)
Anton Grundel (played 9 games)

And free agent Jonas "The Monster" Gustavsson also played there.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:45 AM
  #16
Boulette Cannon
Registered User
 
Boulette Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
Hope that doesn't mean that damn ******* Timmins will pass again over a big center... :Facapalm:
BPA rules.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:46 AM
  #17
habsrock76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
I have the feeling that Timmins is really high on Rundblad and Erixon. Even more on OEL but he'll be picked way before us.
I agree if we dont have a shot at Leblanc i can see us trading down probably (acquiring a 2nd round pick) and grabbing one of those two later in the 1st round, most likely Erixon.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:48 AM
  #18
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
Johansson played for Farjestad. Just for fun, here are the draft eligibles form this team :

Marcus Johansson (played 45 games)
Henrik Bjorklund (played 10 games)
Robert Thellberg (played 1 game)
Filip Gunnarsson (played 1 game)
Gustaf Thorell (played 17 games)
Anton Grundel (played 9 games)

And free agent Jonas "The Monster" Gustavsson also played there.
Can we expect Marcus Johansson to go in the 3rd or 4th round?

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:55 AM
  #19
fredez
Registered User
 
fredez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Can we expect Marcus Johansson to go in the 3rd or 4th round?
Dobber's guide has him at 53rd overall and his him 10th overall in "Forwards to choose in your keeper league".

FC's guide has him at 39th overall.

He put up a very good season for a 17 year old on a very stacked team that won the championship. He'll probably be gone by the 65th overall pick.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:59 AM
  #20
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
I wouldn't read too much into the Sweden thing. It seems to me like just a commentary on how many first rounders this year come from Sweden, which is true. If there were a lot of Finns, he'd have spent a lot of time in Finland, etc. As head of scouting he'd be remiss not to. I don't think it tips his hand any.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
  #21
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 10,885
vCash: 500
This is what i want from Santa Bob this year :

- Zach Kassian (my pick) , Leblanc or Holland
- Try to get a 2nd and get one of Despres or Caron if they fall into the 2nd round
- Trade for or sign a legitimate #1 center
- Sign or trade for a top #4 D , or even better two of them
- Re-sign Komisarek to a resonnable contract (no overpayment)
- Sign another gritty 3rd or fourth liner who can take on middleweights and pests (Neil , Lappy ect)


Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
  #22
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,296
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Timmins is lying because in 2007 they did draft for need.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
  #23
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,883
vCash: 1340
Is there a list of Minnesota born/originated players who the habs have drafted? I can only name two...
And I'm still convinced that Louis Leblanc is their #1 guy.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
  #24
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
Is there a list of Minnesota born/originated players who the habs have drafted? I can only name two...
And I'm still convinced that Louis Leblanc is their #1 guy.
Fischer, McDonagh and Kristo.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:17 AM
  #25
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
-Sweden
-Not necessarily draft for needs, leaving it open for another defensemen

Maybe he has his eyes on Rundblad? Josefson? Or maybe just scouting for later in the draft?
I would be the happiest poster on HF.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.