HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

09/10 Summer Issues

Old
06-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

vCash: 500
09/10 Summer Issues

It never ceases to amaze me how much micro-analyzing goes on in sports today thanks to the internet. Last summer was crazy at HFBoards for Kings fans and this summer is already starting to look as if it is going down the same path. It seems as if we have all sat glued to our computers waiting for the future to unfold right before our eyes. DL said this so this must happen. DL didn’t say something else so this is not going to happen. The breakfast with the GM shindig is no exception to this fan crazed microscopic inspection.

It is obvious that there seems to be two distinct major camps regarding Kings fans. The extremist of those groups seem to have the loudest voices in the threads. We need to take a collective step back and let truth emerge from somewhere in the middle or its going to be another long drab summer of bickering.

The draft is a week away and free agency will follow closely on its heels. More pieces of the puzzle should come into focus but it does not mean that in a week and a half the starting lineup will be on full display. The kings have reached a position of having fewer holes to be filled. If doesn’t happen this week it does not mean it will never happen at all which leads into the four main topics of concern for this upcoming week and summer:

-Game Breaker
-JWTFJ
-Frolov
-DL’s plan

Game Breaker-
We all know that this is a need and DL and Hextall have said so themselves. Briere, Vinny L, and Heatley will not be in LA for cap reasons or attitude. Gaborik and Hossa were not mentioned in this group which means we might or might not go after them but only DL knows for sure. Any other lesser skilled scorers are just too unknown to even speculate on but DL believes he has the prospects built up now in order to deal with other teams so it is not completely out of the question.

Jack-
According to DL and staff the internet rumors are false. Some will say you can’t listen to a word DL spins but we will not know for sure until JJ signs or is traded. If he is traded the deal will need to be objectively scrutinized before jumping to conclusions. The kings do have a good stable of defensive prospects and JJ could bring back a nice “forward” return.

Frolov-
The Kings need left wingers so that bodes well for keeping Fro but it probably boils down to money as usual. Even so, there is no guarantee anything will be resolved prior to the trade deadline.

DL’s plan-
DL is rebuilding this team from the goaltending on up. He is doing it slowly through the draft. If situations arise to make the team better he will pursue those measures but not at the risk of hindering HIS plan. He has had many mistakes but also made a few good hockey moves as well. The restocking of the prospect pool has been impressive and hopefully that will continue through shrewd drafting ala Detroit and not through top ten picks every year. The kings need to take that transition from talent pool of the NHL to keeping its key players as best as possible. The term “core” should be applied lightly as any player should be made available if it means steering the team towards its goal of achieving a Stanley Cup. There has been a lot of criticism of DL calling out players to improve their fitness and dedication. LA players should be responsible for playing at their best. Does this mean they will play beyond their means or that they are not playing up to the potential that coaches and management see in them? The bottom line is that Lombardi and Co. have a plan and are sticking to it. Eras come and go in sports (Dionne, Gretzky, Palffy) and right now this team is closer to being a contender than it was three or four years ago. We will see if Lombardi can help the Kings reach the next step.

Last edited by Knight of the Realm: 06-21-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Great Post!

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:31 AM
JMFJ 3

I pretty much agree with you on most points. It'll be interesting to see if Fro is moved at the deadline next year, that will largely depend on whether or not we're in the hunt.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 02:55 AM
redcard

I really can't wait until Friday. Not because i'm expecting to be pleased, but solely so that we can get some indication of what the hell Deano is planning this summer.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:57 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I really can't wait until Friday. Not because i'm expecting to be pleased, but solely so that we can get some indication of what the hell Deano is planning this summer.
Prepare to be disappointed, AGAIN.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I'm already disappointment because Gaborik is going to sign with Vancouver.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

JWTFJ..?

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:04 AM
northernKing

This team is closer than it was 3-4 yrs ago due to the development of key guys like Kopitar, Brown, Frolov, Quick and Doughty. If DL gets credit for laying the foundation in SJ, DT deserves credit for the same in LA

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Disappointed or not, my fridge is stocked with beer.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
This team is closer than it was 3-4 yrs ago due to the development of key guys like Kopitar, Brown, Frolov, Quick and Doughty. If DL gets credit for laying the foundation in SJ, DT deserves credit for the same in LA
We got lucky Kopitar got to 11, 2003 was almost impossible to screw up, Doughty is DL. as for Quick Goalies are nothing more than throwing a bunch of **** against the wall and seeing what sticks more often then not. Who here honestly saw quick coming up and being what he is now? Very few if any.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:52 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
We got lucky Kopitar got to 11, 2003 was almost impossible to screw up, Doughty is DL. as for Quick Goalies are nothing more than throwing a bunch of **** against the wall and seeing what sticks more often then not. Who here honestly saw quick coming up and being what he is now? Very few if any.
Is it a coincidence that Quick (and Bernier and Jones and Zatkoff) are developing better than Volkov or Storr or Marsters and that this is happening after Lombardi, Hextall, and Ranford overhauled the goalie development system?

Anyone that thinks that the Kings did well in the '03 draft (where we had *3* 1st round picks and *5* picks in the first three rounds) is nuts. And even so, how did Brown develop until Lombardi came along, brought in guys like Scott Thornton to mentor him, and kicked Avery (a Taylor acquisition) to the curb?

I like Taylor and think he did some great things, but the "foundation" is what was broken while he was GM.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Defgarden

I'll be camping in King's Canyon this friday through monday. Thank god I'm bringing my XM radio.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 10:27 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Disappointed or not, my fridge is stocked with beer.
But I'm wagering that has absolutely nothing to do with Hockey . . . except that some of that beer disappears when hockey is involved.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Defgarden

The big point that is missed here is that there's no hockey being played, and thus nothing relevant to bicker about, so we make things up and read way too deeply into everything because it's summer and we're BORED!

I am anyway.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Kingjordan

The most important thing is resigning our key players.. also resigning them and then not trading them away.

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote