HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

trade deadline accomplishments!

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2004, 02:32 AM
Chayos

vCash: 500
trade deadline accomplishments!

Going into the Trade dealine we had holes that we all wanted filled and we all knew going in that the reality was few if any of those holes would be filled. here we are 3 weeks later and we now seem to have filled all the holes we were looking to fill with the exception of an elite level goalie, and how many teams really have one of those?

checklist before the trade deadline was

1) big scoring center-6'3 petr Nedved Check

2) Better goalie- trading Salo and letting anyone else play goal Check

3) offensive D-man- Bergeron and the rest of the D by comittee Check

The way I see it if we can get into the playoffs we have a really solid shot at doing some damage and with our depth we can ride a long playoff haul.

I know i may be jinxing the run by talking about the playoffs now, but i don't belive in that crap anyways. What i do believe in is the heart this team is showing right now. I think we can all say even if this team doesn't make the playoffs but fights like this till the end, then we will all be just as proud of the team as we would if they made the playoffs. The reality is this team is in this hole because of the terrible goaltending we got from salo and injuries. This team is young and has years of hockey ahead of them and this run will only make them a better team in the future.

I also want to apologize to the team for going on the record saying they were not going to make the playoffs a month ago. The heart they have shown makes me bow my head in shame for ever doubting them.

Old
03-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Matts

Well

yeah I've been dead wrong about this team being able to get on such a run. I looked at the sked and it was brutal and I didn't think they could fight through it.

And make it or not they've proven one thing and that's you don't want to play the Oilers in March. They are as dominant in the month of March as they are awful in the month of February

Old
03-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Lowetide

Well, I don't want to create any uproar, but I don't think there's any need to apologize. I certainly don't plan on it.

If we took a bunch of NHL team seasons, say 20, and created the same scenario that the Oilers were in 25 games ago, I would bet there would be extremely few examples of teams making it.

We don't really have to do the work, because seeing it occur and the reaction of everyone tells us its something special. The Oilers were many points back, and in 12th for crying out loud.

I left them for dead, and even suggested they flush the season by trading Jason Smith and a few others. I still don't think that was a bad plan to be honest, and may have benefited the team more down the line.

However, I'm thrilled by this run and can imagine this team is bonding in a big way. Can you imagine a season or two down the line when this bunch is down 3 games to 2 in a playoff round?

This is the reason sports is so captivating. Fernando Pisani turns into Brett Hull, film at 11. Is there a better story right now?

The NHL keeps shooting itself in the foot, but the players and the game keep saving the damn thing with wonderful moments like this one.

Apologize? Nah. But I'm sure as hell going to enjoy the ride.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:40 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Excellent post Lowetide

I very rarely watch any other NHL hockey except for Edmonton, but I unfortunately got to see the Bertuzzi incident as it happened, I watched the Ottawa-Philly incident and I saw Sutter put Oliwa out on the ice with 3 seconds to go in the game and continued to watch as Oliwa made a complete ass out of himself...

I mean this just doesn't happen in Oiler games. Yes there was the line brawl, but as soon as all the penalties were dished out, it was over (unlike in the OTT-PHI game where they were doing it almost every shift).

We Oiler fans sometimes don't know how good we have it. We haven't had a single player suspended in over 4 years, we get to watch some very entertaining hockey pretty much 82 games a year, we get guys like Smyth and Laraque who do a tonne of stuff for the community (there are other guys too, but these two are incredible, based on what I have read).... I mean I hear all the problems with hockey, and I look at the Oilers and I just don't see them.

Sure I have copper coloured glasses... I'm a fan, it's my job.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:42 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
1) big scoring center-6'3 petr Nedved Check
LOL. I read this and thought "you misspelled 'Czech'"

I, like lowetide, don't think apologies are necessary. You can hardly blame us for thinking a run of this magnitude was impossible given what the Oilers had proven beforehand. I never said it was impossible because it wasn't, but I gave them very little chance of doing it.

Truthfully, their run makes fighting for last spot super-sweet, although by rights it shouldn't. If they had instead dropped from 5th by struggling down the line, it actually would have been a disappointment. Now, we've got a terrific "I Believe" campaign going. Even if they miss, it was a hell of a ride: playoffs came 18 games early this year. But say they ended up in 8th or 9th by falling apart down the stretch (like Vancouver, for instance). There'd be The Devil's Haircut (Hell Toupee) in the online forums. The contrast is stark even if the outcomes are the same.

The only concessions that are necessary IMO right now is that I'd like to say that I'm still glad for the "never say die" attitude that slats432 and others maintained (and Lowe too, LOL). I still say when that far out of it and looking for the future, its not a bad gamble to finish the rebuild job you started. Lowe had the guts and the brains/non-brains to go for it. He deserves some recognition I think, even if they eventually fall short. I'm not sure even Mizral can maintain Lowe doesn't do anything for the team (I know, its the timing its the timing....)

Although apologies aren't perhaps necessary, I will say a great "thank you", however, because as a fan I really appreciate it. This team has shown a great character. In this age of contract squabbles and cheap head shots, I daresay the Oilers on the ice have actually been a bit of an inspiration and a role model of sorts. Yeah, that's a bit of melodrama but if there is no truth to it, why has their run brought out fans and even received kudos from non-Oilers fans? An engine that could. Thanks Oilers!

Old
03-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Slats432

As far as the never say die attitude, I have had it all my life. (Actually when I played Junior hockey, I worked as hard when it was 5-0 as when it was 2-1.)

I must say, the team we have defied a lot of odds of probability to be where they are, and this is the most impressive streak that I have seen any team have in a long time. (Can anyone say the 1980 Philadelphia Flyers?)

They have got to make the playoffs after all of this. They just have to.

Old
03-27-2004, 02:39 PM
vb

What streak did the Oilers have in '79 to make the playoffs? If I recall that one started with the acquisition of Ron Low.

Old
03-27-2004, 03:25 PM
jadeddog

im not a good enough writer to convey exactly how much i want the oilers to make the playoffs, but lets just say that i want it to happen rather badly...... but even if we dont get in, im gonna come away from this season with many positives (lots of negatives too, but we wont get into those on this thread )

1. unlike many, i have full faith in conklin and jussi for next season, at the very least i think its a large improvement over salo for the past 2 seasons

2. torres, stoll, semenov, hemsky, MAB, brewer - all these players best seasons are still ahead of them, you could argue that pisani, chimera, isbister and others might be in this category as well.... essentially, we still have a very young team with its best days still yet to come

3. the outside chance of actually having a legit #1 center if they resign nedved (though im not holding my breath on this one)

basically i think that whatever happens with this season that we will be a better position next season (whenever that is).... this run at the end of this season has been very nice and the playoffs would be awesome, but lets remember that this team is built for next to be very good in 2-3 years (maybe next year?)

Old
03-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
im not a good enough writer to convey exactly how much i want the oilers to make the playoffs, but lets just say that i want it to happen rather badly...... but even if we dont get in, im gonna come away from this season with many positives (lots of negatives too, but we wont get into those on this thread )

1. unlike many, i have full faith in conklin and jussi for next season, at the very least i think its a large improvement over salo for the past 2 seasons

2. torres, stoll, semenov, hemsky, MAB, brewer - all these players best seasons are still ahead of them, you could argue that pisani, chimera, isbister and others might be in this category as well.... essentially, we still have a very young team with its best days still yet to come

3. the outside chance of actually having a legit #1 center if they resign nedved (though im not holding my breath on this one)

basically i think that whatever happens with this season that we will be a better position next season (whenever that is).... this run at the end of this season has been very nice and the playoffs would be awesome, but lets remember that this team is built for next to be very good in 2-3 years (maybe next year?)
I agree, and thats why I don't want this team to be fiddled with much over the next summer, as I see a very good team out there that had a few bad breaks over the season, and some terrible goaltending. They're really starting to get used to each other and they are finding some chemistry, and I would really like to see it continue to develop over the next couple years with minor tinkering, and I can see a great great team.

Old
03-27-2004, 04:50 PM
HarryStrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
What streak did the Oilers have in '79 to make the playoffs? If I recall that one started with the acquisition of Ron Low.
Ah, yes...remember it like it happened yesterday...(just another example of if you underestimate Edmonton, you do so at your own peril...)

Flashback to March of 1980. I was watching Hill Street Blues on ITV,fell asleep, and woke to the dulcet tones of Sara Coyle saying that Ron Low was traded to the Oilers. It was March 11th. The Oilers gave up Ron Chipperfield, their Captain at the time.

Ironically, the Oilers faced The Nordiques on March 12, and Edmonton skated away with a 6-3 win.

The Oilers returned home, and defeated Chicago, lost to Montreal, then beat the Rangers and Penguins.

Then it was back on the road. The Oilers beat the Flames - The ATLANTA Flames! - 5-4 on March 25. The next day they won 5-2 in Detroit. Then, it was a rare (well, that first year, they were rare) Hockey Night in Canada appearance for the Oilers in Maple Leaf Gardens, and Ron Low outduelled Mike Palmateer 8-5. The Oilers wound up that road trip on April Fool's Day with a 5-0 loss in Vancouver.

The Oilers started a season-ending home stand with a 1-1 tie with the North Stars. The Oilers went into their last game of the season one point ahead of Washington for the final playoff berth, and they dumped the Colorado Rockies 6-2 (second last NHL game Don Cherry ever coached in the NHL, I think...). With that win, they clinched the 16th and final playoff berth by moving three points ahead of Washington, who had only one game left.

...and for all of you who are wondering who Marc-Andre Bergeron can be compared to, ask your grandaddies about a guy named Risto Siltanen. He did everything for the Edmonton Oilers in that 1979-80 season that Bergeron is doing a quarter of a century later. Siltanen was about 5'7" and weighed maybe 175 pounds, and he simply wore his body out at a fairly early age. While he lasted, though, he had one of those deceptive shots that would bounce around like a ping-pong ball in the days when defensemen simply did not block shots. He would hit guys that seemed twice his size -they stayed down, Risto skated away... He was one of my early Oiler favorites....

Old
03-27-2004, 07:24 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
LOL. I read this and thought "you misspelled 'Czech'"

I, like lowetide, don't think apologies are necessary. You can hardly blame us for thinking a run of this magnitude was impossible given what the Oilers had proven beforehand. I never said it was impossible because it wasn't, but I gave them very little chance of doing it.

Truthfully, their run makes fighting for last spot super-sweet, although by rights it shouldn't. If they had instead dropped from 5th by struggling down the line, it actually would have been a disappointment. Now, we've got a terrific "I Believe" campaign going. Even if they miss, it was a hell of a ride: playoffs came 18 games early this year. But say they ended up in 8th or 9th by falling apart down the stretch (like Vancouver, for instance). There'd be The Devil's Haircut (Hell Toupee) in the online forums. The contrast is stark even if the outcomes are the same.

The only concessions that are necessary IMO right now is that I'd like to say that I'm still glad for the "never say die" attitude that slats432 and others maintained (and Lowe too, LOL). I still say when that far out of it and looking for the future, its not a bad gamble to finish the rebuild job you started. Lowe had the guts and the brains/non-brains to go for it. He deserves some recognition I think, even if they eventually fall short. I'm not sure even Mizral can maintain Lowe doesn't do anything for the team (I know, its the timing its the timing....)

Although apologies aren't perhaps necessary, I will say a great "thank you", however, because as a fan I really appreciate it. This team has shown a great character. In this age of contract squabbles and cheap head shots, I daresay the Oilers on the ice have actually been a bit of an inspiration and a role model of sorts. Yeah, that's a bit of melodrama but if there is no truth to it, why has their run brought out fans and even received kudos from non-Oilers fans? An engine that could. Thanks Oilers!
I had actually not lost hope, but I didn't want to go on record. Part of the reason is your wonderful playoff predictor. Everytime I twiddled with that thing, it made me realize just how dire the situation has been. I actually felt a lot more confident by looking just at the standings that the team could make that up. In looking at your predictor, it showed just how many HTH games had to be one and, on top of that, how much the teams being chased had to lose to teams you wouldn't expect. The Oilers have absolutely done their part on HTH's. The Blues game is obviously going to huge.

As much as I want to believe I still won't go on record that Oilers will make it. I was totally confident based on your predictor in 2002 that some team we were chasing would open the door a crack and let us in. No question though, the team is playing as well as I could ever hope for them to do. If they don't make it in, it will be a real shame.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:29 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
As much as I want to believe I still won't go on record that Oilers will make it. I was totally confident based on your predictor in 2002 that some team we were chasing would open the door a crack and let us in.
That was something else that year. The Oilers went on a tear down the stretch but VAN and PHX went on even better runs. Just incredible.

I remember a great line from Darryl Sutter at the time, he was coaching S.J, who were well ahead of the bottom teams ... played well ... and still kept seeing the gap between themselves and the playoff cutline narrowed. By my bad memory Sutter said something like "we're playing well, but Vancouver and Edmonton, they just keep winning, and Phoenix ... they haven't lost a game since Christ was a child"

Old
03-27-2004, 11:28 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
That was something else that year. The Oilers went on a tear down the stretch but VAN and PHX went on even better runs. Just incredible.
Yup. I look at St. Louis and Nashville schedules and they both still are in lock step. The Oilers might very well need to go perfect down the stretch to make it. But its a deja vu feeling and not a good one.

Old
03-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Matts

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Yup. I look at St. Louis and Nashville schedules and they both still are in lock step. The Oilers might very well need to go perfect down the stretch to make it. But its a deja vu feeling and not a good one.
I got the same feeling today. Wound up at a friends for a few beer and had his comp tuned to Yahoo and first the Blues game, then the Cgy game and finally the Nsh contest.

So three different disappointments

Old
03-29-2004, 02:04 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStrand
Ah, yes...remember it like it happened yesterday...(just another example of if you underestimate Edmonton, you do so at your own peril...)

Flashback to March of 1980...
Great memory! Thanks for that info!

Old
03-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStrand
...and for all of you who are wondering who Marc-Andre Bergeron can be compared to, ask your grandaddies about a guy named Risto Siltanen. He did everything for the Edmonton Oilers in that 1979-80 season that Bergeron is doing a quarter of a century later. Siltanen was about 5'7" and weighed maybe 175 pounds, and he simply wore his body out at a fairly early age. While he lasted, though, he had one of those deceptive shots that would bounce around like a ping-pong ball in the days when defensemen simply did not block shots. He would hit guys that seemed twice his size -they stayed down, Risto skated away... He was one of my early Oiler favorites....
As I recall, didn't Risto score a couple of goals off slappers from just outside the opposing blueline? Deceptive indeed. I remember it happening at least twice.

Closed Thread