HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

WHO will the Islanders pick?

View Poll Results: WHO will the Islanders pick?
John Tavares 170 69.96%
Victor Hedman 55 22.63%
Matt Duchene 16 6.58%
Other 2 0.82%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-24-2009, 09:34 PM

vCash: 500
JT. IMO he's the clear cut choice.

There are nice well rounded centers and help on D around with their 2nd 1st rounder.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

I think the Islanders taking Bailey last season when they had the chance at numerous other "consensus" guys that were ranked higher points to them not really caring what the fans think of the pick.

Wouldn't surprise me if they took Hedman or Duchene. Hopefully nobody gets killed at their draft party if that happens, lol.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

they'll probably go with Duchene because that would just fit right in with the NYIs long history of doing crazy things trying to prove how smart they are compared to the rest of the league.

They have their sights on Taylor Hall.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Darth Milbury

Dreger says Hedman as well

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11905

"Iíve talked to a number of NHL execs over the past 24 hours and the majority believe the Isles will take Hedman. "

Ordinarily, I think Dreger is a very unreliable source.But, that is partially because he leads with stuff like "It is widely believed that" "it is said that.." "Speculation suggests that.."

In this case, he seems to have real hockey people as sources. This may be diferrent than his usual reporting of Leafcentric rumors as reality. So, I would think this has a bit more bite.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
WestCoast

He's talked to GM's who think the Islanders will take Hedman big deal, and your title is misleading Dreger himself believes Tavares will go 1st still. Cmon man this is hardly threadworthy.

WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:26 PM
ugotmybeef*

I assume the Gms know who he's picking. Nonis probably told him what he thinks and he's speculating of that.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
KevFu

There's three people who know who the Islanders are taking. And only one GM: Garth Snow.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Like any smart GM, you don't let the rest of the league know who you're picking unless you're 150% sold on the fact that you're going to keep the pick. If I was Snow, I would be telling everybody and their brother that I was taking Hedman just to keep the offers away from the 2nd overall slot and towards me. With the uncertainty that the Islanders have created at the 1st pick, nobody knows what they'd be buying into at the 2nd overall pick and thus have to talk to Snow before they make any kind of decision regarding moving up.

If he gets an offer that can help his team, then he'll have to consider it. Right now, it's just a game of keep away.

As soon as the first overall is announced, regardless of who it is, I would imagine the Tampa Bay phone needing 10 extensions to keep up with the influx of calls that are going to be coming in. I would imagine that Tampa Bay has a contingency plan worked out in case Hedman goes 1st overall, as they have no real need for Tavares at this point, that would net them a top pairing defenseman.

Until then, the chess game continues.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Ryan O'Reilly

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:42 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Tavares is who they will take. I would bet $1000 on it. They are just displaying showmanship right now by not announcing it. They were probably told by the NHL to not announce it, in order to attempt to create hype and suspense.

But Hedman is who I think they should take. Not saying Tavares will be a bust or anything. Far from it. But I think Hedman will be the better NHL'er.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote