HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Food after a game...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
  #1
AHF
Registered User
 
AHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AHF
Food after a game...

For the healthier folks on here...

What would you recommend I eat after a game?

As far as I'm concerned, nothing hits the spot better than a bag of chips...

...but I'd like to change that. More often than not, I pig out.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
  #2
TheGooooch
Registered User
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,208
vCash: 500
Well, you did just have a solid workout. I usually go for protein. Chicken is good (you should know what good chicken is vs bad chicken). I am usually quite hungry so I go for some sort of chicken dinner thing

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 03:55 PM
  #3
AHF
Registered User
 
AHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AHF
Problem with that...coming home after a game (usually around 11:00/midnight), I usually don't have an urge to cook...

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 03:56 PM
  #4
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,578
vCash: 500
A good meal with protein and salad on the side is what I usually try to enjoy.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:00 PM
  #5
Vaclav Varada
CoJo
 
Vaclav Varada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 15,703
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaclav Varada
Chicken. BBQ chicken and keep some left over's in your fridge for after the game.

Vaclav Varada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
  #6
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,012
vCash: 500
I have found salad to be the best energy food at least prior to the game, surprisingly.

Add in some meat or chicken and you'll be ready to rock.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:03 PM
  #7
BadHammy*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I have found salad to be the best energy food at least prior to the game, surprisingly.

Add in some meat or chicken and you'll be ready to rock.
Because salad is light and has easily digestible carbs, that's a good pre game meal. Post game, you need protein and carbs primarily, fats don't help that much. However, be sure to eat some animal fat to help your joints out. I like a chicken sandwich, some chips and a big powerade.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
  #8
Huggy Bear*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stuck on the GSP
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Problem with that...coming home after a game (usually around 11:00/midnight), I usually don't have an urge to cook...
Try making a meal and storing it in one of those ziploc dinner plates that has divided sections and a resealable top, or make a sandwich and wrap it up and put it in the fridge!

Also frozen bananas = amazing postgame snack or dessert. Tastes like ice cream and if you score or get an assist, go ahead and dip it in chocolate sauce

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
  #9
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 12,688
vCash: 500
High protein and carbs... avoid fat. Lots of water.

I've read that it's good to eat immediately after, like 15-30 minutes.

http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 06:30 PM
  #10
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,909
vCash: 500
depending on what time of day it is

i dont get home from my games until 130 in the morning im obviously not going to have a huge meal. i go for protein and no carbs. fat is ok, but good fat like peanuts not candy.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 06:33 PM
  #11
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I have found salad to be the best energy food at least prior to the game, surprisingly.

Add in some meat or chicken and you'll be ready to rock.
well before the game i eat pasta. its just what ive done since high school. right before the game i eat a bananna and gatorade

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
  #12
AHF
Registered User
 
AHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AHF
I'll definately give the 'leftover chicken' a shot.

What about protein bars? I'm not familiar with them at all...is there anything I should be looking for? Anything I should avoid when buying them?

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
  #13
TheGooooch
Registered User
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
I'll definately give the 'leftover chicken' a shot.

What about protein bars? I'm not familiar with them at all...is there anything I should be looking for? Anything I should avoid when buying them?
Yeah, the leftover chicken is a good trick. Plus it keeps for a couple days so you have some time.

I think protein bars are fine. Just look at the other ingredients in them. When I was going to the gym frequently I got some GNC protein supplement. But after doing some research I realized that just one was like 75% of the cholesterol that I need in a day. So I looked around and found something better (although I learned after a nutrition course that I was getting plenty of protein already so I stopped using it).

The hard thing with late games is you are damn hungry but can't eat a meal because you need to sleep (if you can).

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
  #14
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
If it's a late night game I'll go for some bread with cottage cheese or peanut butter. If it's still early I'll just eat dinner (chicken, pasta/rice, and veggies).

I find that I can't eat eggs at all on a game day... but if you can stomach them then they're a good option for protein as well.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:38 PM
  #15
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
For those late games go with a meal replacement bar. I'm partial to the Met-RX Big 100 Peanut Butter Cookie Dough as anything with chocolate just gives me a stomach ache. It has 370 claories, 28g or protein, 52g of carbs, 520 mg of potassium. it only has 20mg of colesterol and 5g of fat so won't really hurt you in that regard. It really is balanced to act as a meal replacement. I eat 1/2 a bar every morning as a mid morning snack. This would be easy and you could keep it in your bag to eat immediately coming off the ice.

I personally like going home and have a good porter, stout or ale when I get home from a late game to help me relax.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
  #16
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
I like Progresso 50% reduced sodium soups with a couple of turkey burgers. Sometimes I make a veggie stir fry (raw veggie packs and not that junk with processed sauce you heat up, blech) with baked chicken and some rice.

I don't eat any fastfood or microwave garbage. The only thing I will eat that is quick after a game may be some cornflakes besides what I mentioned already.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:05 AM
  #17
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,728
vCash: 500
[deleted]


Last edited by Mayor Bee: 06-28-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:44 AM
  #18
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,251
vCash: 500
I used to get home and have a whole pizza and some beer...but I'm trying to cut weight now and I'm pretty sure that's not healthy.

I usually mix a scoop of whey protein and a couple tbsp of Ovaltine into a tall glass of milk. Simple carbs and quick digested whey. Last night I went deluxe and did a scoop of low fat frozen yogurt, half a banana, some peanut butter, the whey protein, and some milk and ice...tasty.

Usually I get home late so that's it for food, but if the game is earlier, I'll have a smaller protein shake, then have some chicken and rice or pasta.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
  #19
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 10,767
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Replace:
Protein
Carbohydrates
Water
Sodium (to a much lesser extent)
Calcium

Depending on appetite and time of the night, you could go with something as basic as a bagel with peanut butter; this would also force you to drink water or milk to aid in both comfort in eating and in digestion. A banana or starfruit on the side will also help replenish potassium (note: DO NOT eat starfruit if you have any type of renal disorder. Trust me.)

If you're going to bed within two hours of the end of the game, try to stick with something approximately that size. Otherwise the body will divert bloodflow to the digestive tract during sleep to keep that process going rather than acting to transport oxygen and vital nutrients to muscle tissue that needs it.

Also, as much of a part of hockey tradition as it may be, DO NOT go pounding beers until you're properly rehydrated. Trust me on this...I've seen 350-pound guys get tanked off a single beer during a period of fairly bad dehydration. And in order to metabolize the alcohol, more water is needed...and since you're not providing that, prepare for a hangover that will make you want to put an icepick in your skull.

As an aside, my pregame meal was always the Peter Forsberg Special: dry instant oatmeal most of the time, prepared instant oatmeal some of the time. I honestly don't know why. I tried it a couple times before some hardcore conditioning in the middle of summer and liked it, so I continued it. In the old boiler rooms on coal-fired ships (where a 150-pound man could lose 15 pounds of water in a shift), they used to drink water with oatmeal in it. The idea was that you'd have to chug a lot of water to stay hydrated, which normally leads to vomiting and thus more dehydration. The oatmeal acted to prevent vomiting in case of excessive water consumption.
I'll echo the beer thing. 2 beers gets me quite tipsy after a game, and I drink a full quart of water most every game. if you're one of those guys who refuses to drink water or has one of those dinky water bottles, you're going to screw yourself up.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
  #20
MartyG77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Replace:
Protein
Carbohydrates
Water
Sodium (to a much lesser extent)
Calcium

Depending on appetite and time of the night, you could go with something as basic as a bagel with peanut butter; this would also force you to drink water or milk to aid in both comfort in eating and in digestion. A banana or starfruit on the side will also help replenish potassium (note: DO NOT eat starfruit if you have any type of renal disorder. Trust me.)

If you're going to bed within two hours of the end of the game, try to stick with something approximately that size. Otherwise the body will divert bloodflow to the digestive tract during sleep to keep that process going rather than acting to transport oxygen and vital nutrients to muscle tissue that needs it.

Also, as much of a part of hockey tradition as it may be, DO NOT go pounding beers until you're properly rehydrated. Trust me on this...I've seen 350-pound guys get tanked off a single beer during a period of fairly bad dehydration. And in order to metabolize the alcohol, more water is needed...and since you're not providing that, prepare for a hangover that will make you want to put an icepick in your skull.

As an aside, my pregame meal was always the Peter Forsberg Special: dry instant oatmeal most of the time, prepared instant oatmeal some of the time. I honestly don't know why. I tried it a couple times before some hardcore conditioning in the middle of summer and liked it, so I continued it. In the old boiler rooms on coal-fired ships (where a 150-pound man could lose 15 pounds of water in a shift), they used to drink water with oatmeal in it. The idea was that you'd have to chug a lot of water to stay hydrated, which normally leads to vomiting and thus more dehydration. The oatmeal acted to prevent vomiting in case of excessive water consumption.
- You must add potassium after, try to take something who have a ratio of 3/1 potassium/sodium.

- You won't loose a lot of calcium during a training or a game, BUT one of the better choice you can make is chocolate milk. (I would never tought about it by myself, but as I study in nutritionnal sciences I learned this in my classes.)

- You get the protein by the chocolate milk and enough sugar. If you're too hungry consider take so fruit, good sources of carbohydrates and antioxydants. This will help to stock glycogen and also to eliminate free radicals.

- You might try to eat things that are well tolerate by your stomach before and after the exercices.

MartyG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
  #21
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 10,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
For the healthier folks on here...

What would you recommend I eat after a game?

As far as I'm concerned, nothing hits the spot better than a bag of chips...

...but I'd like to change that. More often than not, I pig out.
If you want to go healthier try a banana.

Sometimes I take a wheat wrap and skim coat it with peanut butter and fold it up.

If it int he winter and it's a cold night. I'll make a packet of instant oatmeal.

These are just enough to put something back into my system and I don't feel I did anything horrible to my system.

I still don't get the whole beer after a game thing. That's like the last thing I want when i come off the ice.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:34 AM
  #22
Blazer190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
In the fall, I run cross country and obviously run during the summer for conditioning. Our coach, who is also a nutrionist, always tells us that a coupld peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread with chocolate milk is always good for after a workout. I've stuck to that ever since. I think it helps, maybe it could work for you.

Blazer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:44 AM
  #23
190Octane
Registered User
 
190Octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,210
vCash: 500
Chocolate milk is actually one of the best things to drink after a workout. It has a good combination of protein, carbs and fat. A protein shake might be better but in a pinch chocolate milk will do.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
  #24
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
If you want to go healthier try a banana.

Sometimes I take a wheat wrap and skim coat it with peanut butter and fold it up.

If it int he winter and it's a cold night. I'll make a packet of instant oatmeal.

These are just enough to put something back into my system and I don't feel I did anything horrible to my system.

I still don't get the whole beer after a game thing. That's like the last thing I want when i come off the ice.
I don't get the beer thing either .... some guys on our team drink a couple BEFORE the game. I couldn't imagine having all that sloshing around while skating.

Bleccch.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
  #25
BadHammy*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer190 View Post
In the fall, I run cross country and obviously run during the summer for conditioning. Our coach, who is also a nutrionist, always tells us that a coupld peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread with chocolate milk is always good for after a workout. I've stuck to that ever since. I think it helps, maybe it could work for you.
Only if you get low-fat PB and skim milk. Otherwise, way too high in carbs and fats.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.