HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev article- CJ blames NYR and Pens!

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Kovalev article- CJ blames NYR and Pens!

The article has been translated by some one on a another board, so thank to him. If you goto the link it's in French!

Canadian Press (CP)
François Lemenu

Alex Kovalev doesn't dwell on the public's reactions. Applauded when he scored into an empty net last Saturday in New Jersey, Kovalev was the object of boos Thursday against Ottawa. His disheveled play and two penalties which scuttled two power plays encouraged the crowd to jeer him.

"I was booed in New York. I respect the reaction of the crowd. I know that the public wants victory. Unfortunately, there are highs and lows", pled Kovalev shortly after the Canadiens defeat by the Senators.

"I am not worried about the reaction of the fans. What is important to me is the production of my line and that of the team", added the Russian.

One goal in eight matches

Kovalev is slow in getting going since his transfer from New York. In eight games he has been limited to a goal and two assists. He also missed two games after having injured his right shoulder at Phoenix in his first match with the Canadiens. Obviously Kovalev is not at ease in the Habs' system after having played all these years in New York and Pittsburgh where discipline was lax.

However, that's not Claude Julien's opinion.

"I don't believe that it's a question of system. It's more a question of conditioning", indicated the coach. "The Rangers and Penguins have a reputation for holding light and rather relaxed practices."

Is it too late to ensure his integration before the playoffs?

"We still have time. There are four games left", said the coach. "There is no question of panicking in his case. We will continue to work so that he is the best possible player for us."

Kovalev claims that he is in good shape.

"I feel good even if the season has been difficult", he says. "For me, the system is not a problem. I need only to concentrate on my defensive play and to find my best level."

"I don't feel the public pressure. I feel only the need to find the level of play I had in Pittsburgh."

Thursday, Kovalev was on a line with Jim Dowd and Jason Ward. Against the Bruins he will rejoin Mike Ribeiro and Michael Ryder.

"I don't attach importance to my linemates. On this team everyone works hard. It's only necessary to know how to adjust. To win we will need four lines", he said.

- http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvell...26-164826.html

I knew something was wrong with Kovalev. He is too good not to score. Lets hope he gets in shape by the time the playoffs come

Old
03-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Kovalev Is A Hab

C'mon Kovy YEW KAN DOIT!

Old
03-28-2004, 04:44 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev Is A Hab
C'mon Kovy YEW KAN DOIT!
Hopefully you are right, especially based on his performance in the playoffs

Old
03-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Hopefully you are right, especially based on his performance in the playoffs
zednik has cooled down too. hopefully it wont take him as long this time to heat up again. what did he go without scoring last time? 15 or more games wasnt it?

Old
03-28-2004, 05:09 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
zednik has cooled down too. hopefully it wont take him as long this time to heat up again. what did he go without scoring last time? 15 or more games wasnt it?
Ya, its a mini-slump i guess, but all I care about is the playoffs the most anyways....as long as our best players are our best players, we got a great chance to win and do some damage in the playoffs possibly

Old
03-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Aarex

"I don't feel the public pressure. I feel only the need to find the level of play I had in Pittsburgh."

Thats what we all want to hear and see.

Old
03-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified

Thats what we all want to hear and see.
Kovalev know himslef his game is not up to par like in pitsburgh. Thats the thing i like about him, he is honest. If he is stinking it up, he will let you know!

Old
03-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
The article has been translated by some one on a another board, so thank to him. If you goto the link it's in French!

Canadian Press (CP)
François Lemenu

Alex Kovalev doesn't dwell on the public's reactions. Applauded when he scored into an empty net last Saturday in New Jersey, Kovalev was the object of boos Thursday against Ottawa. His disheveled play and two penalties which scuttled two power plays encouraged the crowd to jeer him.

"I was booed in New York. I respect the reaction of the crowd. I know that the public wants victory. Unfortunately, there are highs and lows", pled Kovalev shortly after the Canadiens defeat by the Senators.

"I am not worried about the reaction of the fans. What is important to me is the production of my line and that of the team", added the Russian.

One goal in eight matches

Kovalev is slow in getting going since his transfer from New York. In eight games he has been limited to a goal and two assists. He also missed two games after having injured his right shoulder at Phoenix in his first match with the Canadiens. Obviously Kovalev is not at ease in the Habs' system after having played all these years in New York and Pittsburgh where discipline was lax.

However, that's not Claude Julien's opinion.

"I don't believe that it's a question of system. It's more a question of conditioning", indicated the coach. "The Rangers and Penguins have a reputation for holding light and rather relaxed practices."

Is it too late to ensure his integration before the playoffs?

"We still have time. There are four games left", said the coach. "There is no question of panicking in his case. We will continue to work so that he is the best possible player for us."

Kovalev claims that he is in good shape.

"I feel good even if the season has been difficult", he says. "For me, the system is not a problem. I need only to concentrate on my defensive play and to find my best level."

Thursday, Kovalev was on a line with Jim Dowd and Jason Ward. Against the Bruins he will rejoin Mike Ribeiro and Michael Ryder.

"I don't attach importance to my linemates. On this team everyone works hard. It's only necessary to know how to adjust. To win we will need four lines", he said.

- http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvell...26-164826.html

I knew something was wrong with Kovalev. He is too good not to score. Lets hope he gets in shape by the time the playoffs come
Kovalev is a real @$$hole, always was. True what Julien said, since we barely have a practice, but Kovalev is a dip****, and he tries to sugar coat it. I can't believe you guys gave up Balej and a 2nd for him. I like The Habs, and I'll root for you, but I hope Kovalev gets hurt badly, he is an ass.

Old
03-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Boardish

Right. Shut up.

Old
03-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Kovalev is a real @$$hole, always was. True what Julien said, since we barely have a practice, but Kovalev is a dip****, and he tries to sugar coat it. I can't believe you guys gave up Balej and a 2nd for him. I like The Habs, and I'll root for you, but I hope Kovalev gets hurt badly, he is an ass.
Nice post, lots of intelligent comments and facts to back up being and idiot.

Old
03-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Nice post, lots of intelligent comments and facts to back up being and idiot.
I am just saying that I think he is a real nutcase, he has no accountability for himself (No way he could have gotten that from Sather ) He has always blamed everyone else for his problems, and quickly makes stupid comments about the Pens and Rags in the paper. Check the article out, CLOSELY! That is your facts.
And stop being so mean to me

Old
03-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Broadway Brett

If Kovy leaves you guys he will make jabs at you, he is just an ass. ASK any die-hard NYR fan, they'll tell you that he is a dip$hit.

Old
03-28-2004, 08:09 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
If Kovy leaves you guys he will make jabs at you, he is just an ass. ASK any die-hard NYR fan, they'll tell you that he is a dip$hit.
The only thing sweeter than seeing you banned would be seeing you stepped on by Dale Purinton. Please, go away and count the days to the draft lottery.

Old
03-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Broadway Brett

OMG you guys must be friends of Kovalevs or got his disease, you all are idiots!

Old
03-28-2004, 08:43 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
OMG you guys must be friends of Kovalevs or got his disease, you all are idiots!
Just leave. No one wants you here. Go root for Balej on the Ranger board.

Old
03-28-2004, 08:44 PM
theo6060

Quote:
If you want to say specific reasons why you believe he is not a good player then fine, that works. But part of the guidelines here at HF is that you do not do any personal attacks to other posters such as saying "you all are idiots!" Seeing as how you are new you may not have known, but nevertheless consider this a warning.

Old
03-28-2004, 09:40 PM
AltaHab

vCash: 50
After Kovy's first game with the Habs, Pierre McGuire was saying on Team 990 Kovy wasn't in game shape and has said it a couple times since. I know Kovy isn't producing big numbers right now but I suspect he'll get stronger as time goes on and the numbers will come when the Habs need them the most. Stay tuned...

Old
03-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
The guy as proven it in the playoffs, has the numbers to back it up and will show up big time for the Habs this spring

Old
03-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Corey

Quote:
I am just saying that I think he is a real nutcase, he has no accountability for himself (No way he could have gotten that from Sather ) He has always blamed everyone else for his problems, and quickly makes stupid comments about the Pens and Rags in the paper. Check the article out, CLOSELY! That is your facts.
And stop being so mean to me
I don't think you know what you're talking about, so stop sniveling.

Old
03-28-2004, 10:27 PM
not quite yoda

What I don't see in Kovalev is guts and du chien. When Zednick is on a 1 on 1, he tries to beat the guy on the outside, rushing as hard as he can, the stick with his right hand, pushing the D with his left arm.

Kovalev on the other hand... all he does is take a wrist shot at the goalie. And the goalie has made the save every single time. Kovalev doesn't skate, doesn't try to beat or deke the D.

The only time he tries to go through someone is when his line is changing and he has a one on four. THEN, he tries to go through all of them. And of course he can't.

Old
03-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHab
After Kovy's first game with the Habs, Pierre McGuire was saying on Team 990 Kovy wasn't in game shape and has said it a couple times since. I know Kovy isn't producing big numbers right now but I suspect he'll get stronger as time goes on and the numbers will come when the Habs need them the most. Stay tuned...
After Kovalev's FIRST game with the Habs? He hardly played before he injured his shoulder. On what basis would Maguire such a thing?

Old
03-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Kovalev Is A Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
What I don't see in Kovalev is guts and du chien. When Zednick is on a 1 on 1, he tries to beat the guy on the outside, rushing as hard as he can, the stick with his right hand, pushing the D with his left arm.

Kovalev on the other hand... all he does is take a wrist shot at the goalie. And the goalie has made the save every single time. Kovalev doesn't skate, doesn't try to beat or deke the D.

The only time he tries to go through someone is when his line is changing and he has a one on four. THEN, he tries to go through all of them. And of course he can't.
wow.. you're 100% correct.

Old
03-28-2004, 10:56 PM
skoivu

I wouldtn read into stuff that pierre mguire says. i think he talks just so he can hear his own voice. I dunno i dont like the guy as an announcer. Alwasy says the most obvious things and tres to make himslef sounds smart. Anyone else notice that. Im sure Kovalev does have conditioning problems. All players do. But he has amazing skills. Probably one of if not the most naturally skilled player in the league. I really hope he can find his game cuz when hes on hes amazing. And about him shooting the puck on one on ones. U cant score if theres no shot. Every shot is potential goal. If he tryed to dangle d men and turned the puck over evryone would be calling him selfish. Kovalev is a guy u want to shoot the puck. Hes a goal scorer.
I think that he will be alot mmore affective on a line wiht koivu. Koivus heart would rub off on him. Those 2 wiht Zednick on the sidde i think would dominate. i know that would makus a one line team. well 1 and a half line team. But if kovalev isnt on a line like that hes not as effective. Theres some players that make other players better. He needs better players. He needs someone that can play wiht him. Rebiero has the skills but doesnt have the speed. Ryder is too hard nose to play wiht him. u kow what im saying. Ryder is more of a power forward. I think That koivu and him play simular styles. Great play makers, amazing vison, Kovalev and Zedncik both have great shots I think that line togethre have all the ingredients for success

Old
03-29-2004, 02:47 PM
AEKaki

Pittsburgh doesn't have light practices.
Especially not this year.

The thing that you guys have to know is that Kovalev plays well when he's NOT given a role. Besides, I think Claude Julien is an awefull. I mean putting Kovalev on the LW, for the 1st time in his career didn't help. And putting Koivu instead of Kovalev on the PP point wasn't smart either. Koivu did some bad plays on the point. I was at the game and really didn't appreciate what CJ did to Kovalev.

Old
03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
StanleyCH25

I wouldn't worry too much about Kovalev. He'll definately show up for the playoffs. Julien is still experimenting with the final lineups for the playoffs and should settle in with a few combinations for the last few games. It's always nice being able to shift a player here and there and not worry too mucha bout chemistry. It's all nice going with strict lines but when one of those guys goes out, you need someone to be able to step in and mesh with the other 2. Julien is allowing this possibility to occur.

I do hope that he keeps Kovalev on the right side. I think he's more dangerous from that side although I do like him being able to cut from the left towards the middle and unleash one of his quick, precise shots.

I also think he should be used on the point over Koivu as he has a better shot from back there and Koivu could be used much better behind the net or along the boards near the defencemen to feed Kovalev at the point or to feed someone near the net. I'd use them both on the same side (right side) during the powerplay with Markov or Souray taking the left point.

Closed Thread