HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ankle Guards?

Old
06-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Ankle Guards?

Does anybody know if there is anything you can get to help protect your ankles? Including the front just below the shin guards? I always play wing and I always went to block shots but now I'm hesitant to after I took a hard slap shot right below the shin guard basically to the flap of leather part of my skate. At this point it's kind of a mental thing that I just do involuntarily of moving out of the way at the last second. I hate myself for it and figured maybe if I have something to help protect my ankles (even a little) I'll be more willing to jump in the way. Buying new skates is out of the question since I just bought a pair of $200 skates a year ago and don't want to replace them already and then pay for another $35 radius. Anybody know any good ankle protection I can get? Thanks

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
PRNuck
Rekt.

vCash: 833
Such a thing exists, don't worry! It's like a pad that you run a few of your laces through and it covers the tongue of your skate. I've noticed a few of the Canucks wearing it (mason raymond, kesler, burrows). Unfortunately I don't know where you can buy them, but it can't be that rare, I'd check some of those big online hockey stores in the stickies of this forum.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Pog Form

There are definitely a few products out there that fit this description. I've never used any of them, so don't take this as an endorsement, but here is one that I've seen:

http://www.torontohockeyrepair.com/c_ankle.htm

Like PRNuck said, I would suggest taking a look at the websites of the big online hockey stores. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. Good luck!

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
Does anybody know if there is anything you can get to help protect your ankles? Including the front just below the shin guards? I always play wing and I always went to block shots but now I'm hesitant to after I took a hard slap shot right below the shin guard basically to the flap of leather part of my skate. At this point it's kind of a mental thing that I just do involuntarily of moving out of the way at the last second. I hate myself for it and figured maybe if I have something to help protect my ankles (even a little) I'll be more willing to jump in the way. Buying new skates is out of the question since I just bought a pair of $200 skates a year ago and don't want to replace them already and then pay for another $35 radius. Anybody know any good ankle protection I can get? Thanks
You block shots? What type of league do you play in?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
I block shots and I play rec league. Your instincts take over in that situation.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
You don't?!

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 04:56 PM
bluumax

ahhh does anybody know if those lace guard things that alot of players have are available anywhere? i saw a segment about them on coachs corner, like a a sheet of black plastic that goes over your laces. anybody seen any around?

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:17 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Usually people who want protection done the front of their skate buy longer shin guards. That's how that style with tongues tucked in evolved.It was the only way you could get a guard in front of your skate.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
You could always do the Rick Middleton flamingo shot blocking technique where you lift your leg up and let the shot go by. Works for me every time.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Frankie Spankie

Thanks pog, that looks like it'd work perfectly. Not sure if I trust the site, especially after having my debit card number stolen and having unauthorized payments go through. Fortunately they have them on ebay too so I might buy them. Thanks for the link!

I play in basically beer leagues, pretty much C-B skill level leaning a lot more towards C. It's kind of competitive but blocking shots from the point guys actually lead to a lot of breakaways and 2 on 1 breaks for me. Those opportunities have all gone since this mental block seems to force me to move over. I'm hoping with a little more protection I'll be fine.

And PRNuck, I've seen some things like that in the NHL but from what I've heard they're all custom which means they cost a ton of money. I remember a game at the beginning of the season the announcer's were talking about how Aaron Ward got these custom boot plastic pads that would go over your skates and they cost $800. There's no way I'm going to spend that kind of money on it.

edit - Aww man, the ebay seller doesn't accept paypal. I need to find some reliable site for these things.

Last edited by Frankie Spankie: 06-24-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
clefty
Ice cream for crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
You don't?!
I don't. Not slapshots at least.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote