HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings - Toronto the #5 dilemma...

Old
06-24-2009, 04:29 PM
bobermay

vCash: 500
To Los Angeles: 7th overall Pick, Ian White, Alexei Ponikarovsky
To Toronto: 5th Overall, Good Prospect like a Boyle, Mid round pick

Basicly:

7th Overall Pick and Ponikarovsky = 5th Overall
Ian White = Good prospect + mid round pick

bobermay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Rommel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntrmn View Post
To Los Angeles: 7th overall Pick, Ian White, Alexei Ponikarovsky
To Toronto: 5th Overall, Good Prospect like a Boyle, Mid round pick

Basicly:

7th Overall Pick and Ponikarovsky = 5th Overall
Ian White = Good prospect + mid round pick

KULEMIN + 7 Pick for 5 Pick(Schenn) + Boyle + 4 Round Pick( San Jose)

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

To LA: Picks #7,#50 & #58
To TOR: Pick #5, Brian Boyle, Tom Preissing

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Pog Form

Take it easy on me, boys. How about this:

To Toronto:
Kings 5th overall + D Tom Preissing

To Los Angeles:
Leafs 7th Overall + D Ian White

Why it works for Toronto:
- they draft Brayden Schenn at #5
- they still have 7 NHL D-men (not including Preissing, who Burke would likely bury anyway)

Why it works for Los Angeles:
- they dump Preissing, replacing him with a hard-working, affordable bottom-4 d-man
- they still get a high-end draft pick

Thoughts? Is there enough return for L.A. to do this, or would they rather take Schenn and walk?

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
5th for 7th and kaberle...that is really what it would take.

I don't see Burke ponying it up though because he isn't guaranteed Schenn in this deal.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
No, it really, really is not.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:05 PM
embracedbias

Who the **** is Patrick Mullen?

I don't understand the negative reaction to this trade. It clearly only applies if the Kings are targeting MPS. So they get the player they wanted AND a top 4 d-man (who happened to be Toronto's best defenseman on many nights - he had a VERY good season).

The alternative (presuming that Lombardi wants MPS) is for LA to select MPS with the 5th pick. The Leafs could trade from 7th to 6th if Burke wasn't sure about who Phoenix selects... or, Phoenix could just select a defenseman (which they need), and Toronto comes out with Schenn anyways.

Ultimately, Lombardi is going to pick who he wants. If he wants Schenn, then Burke probably won't pay the price to trade to 5. Burke certainly won't be offering something close to the foolish deals that some LA fans are as suggesting simply to convince Lombardi to "settle" for MPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsword View Post
Here is why we would want Ian White...

114 Blocked Shots (4th on the team)
110 Hits (4th on the team)
10 GOALS 26 points. 25 years old a plus player on a more terrible team then our own.

The main reason...

You can't afford to sign Doughty, Hickey, Teubert, Quincey, Johnson and even Drewiske if they pan out to be the players they project to be. You absolutely have to have an "Ian White", a serviceable D-man who won't cost you an arm and a leg but will pot you a few goals, play his heart out every night and not blow games.

We will have to move an asset like Hickey or Teubert in 3-4 years because we can't afford to re-sign them with Doughty and Quincey potting 40 points each.

We need a budget defenseman.
Check the standings again.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:06 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post

I don't see Burke ponying it up though because he isn't guaranteed Schenn in this deal.
That is beyond funny. Get your head checked.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
milkshow

Kings don't do this. They go ahead and draft Schenn.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
To LA: Picks #7,#50 & #58
To TOR: Pick #5, Brian Boyle, Tom Preissing
Ouch. That ones a no go.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Coyote_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
huh?..how is this appealing to the Kings again??
Its appealing to the Kings because it makes Leafs fans happy. Shouldn't that be enough for you?

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:37 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
Who the **** is Patrick Mullen?

I don't understand the negative reaction to this trade. It clearly only applies if the Kings are targeting MPS. So they get the player they wanted AND a top 4 d-man (who happened to be Toronto's best defenseman on many nights - he had a VERY good season).

The alternative (presuming that Lombardi wants MPS) is for LA to select MPS with the 5th pick. The Leafs could trade from 7th to 6th if Burke wasn't sure about who Phoenix selects... or, Phoenix could just select a defenseman (which they need), and Toronto comes out with Schenn anyways.

Ultimately, Lombardi is going to pick who he wants. If he wants Schenn, then Burke probably won't pay the price to trade to 5. Burke certainly won't be offering something close to the foolish deals that some LA fans are as suggesting simply to convince Lombardi to "settle" for MPS.

Check the standings again.
I sort of agree with this. If Schenn is the player Lombardi really wants, then it is going to cost Burke a lot to move up and get him. If Lombardi has a player in mind other than Schenn, Burke could just wait and Schenn probably falls into his lap.

That is unless Lombardi has a player in mind that he can get further down, say in the 8-12 range and one of those teams wants to move up and grab Schenn. Now that's something Burke should worry about, and he would certainly have to pay up if he covets Schenn. There's going to be some interesting poker being played here.

Personally, I would just keep the pick and take Schenn. Good #2 centers don't grow on trees.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:38 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsword View Post
Here is why we would want Ian White...

114 Blocked Shots (4th on the team)
110 Hits (4th on the team)
10 GOALS 26 points. 25 years old a plus player on a more terrible team then our own.

The main reason...

You can't afford to sign Doughty, Hickey, Teubert, Quincey, Johnson and even Drewiske if they pan out to be the players they project to be. You absolutely have to have an "Ian White", a serviceable D-man who won't cost you an arm and a leg but will pot you a few goals, play his heart out every night and not blow games.

We will have to move an asset like Hickey or Teubert in 3-4 years because we can't afford to re-sign them with Doughty and Quincey potting 40 points each.

We need a budget defenseman.
The main thing you are overlooking is that moving Hickey would most certainly (assuming he pans out, otherwise there's no need to move him) bring in a cheaper option.

Right now Hickey, Teubert, and the other young defensmen are cheap. If the kings run into salary trouble they can easily trade one and get a cheaper option + extra assets in that trade. I don't think the kings need to be looking for replacements for players that haven't even begun their ELCs yet.

The only changes the kings need to make with their defense is potentially signing a cheap, veteran stay at home d-man (much like Sean O'Donnell). This can be done via free agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I sort of agree with this. If Schenn is the player Lombardi really wants, then it is going to cost Burke a lot to move up and get him. If Lombardi has a player in mind other than Schenn, Burke could just wait and Schenn probably falls into his lap.

That is unless Lombardi has a player in mind that he can get further down, say in the 8-12 range and one of those teams wants to move up and grab Schenn. Now that's something Burke should worry about, and he would certainly have to pay up if he covets Schenn. There's going to be some interesting poker being played here.

Personally, I would just keep the pick and take Schenn. Good #2 centers don't grow on trees.
This. The only way Dean Lombardi doesn't draft the player he wants is if he's not available at #5. If you look back at the last two drafts Dean traded up, then traded down to get the player he wanted in Tuebert and tried to failed down but still selected the player he wanted in Hickey despite other players being thought to be better.

Bottom Line, if DL's favorite isn't selected before #5 than DL's favorite will be a king. If DL knows his guy will still be on the board at #7, he'll call Brian Burke.

Last edited by redcard: 06-24-2009 at 05:45 PM.
redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:44 PM
DaAnimal

I'm very disappointed that a Kings fan made this trade.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:00 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Doesn't sound bad unless MPS goes 6th.
There's no way Phoenix picks a forward at #6; it'll either be Cowan or OEL.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:03 PM
TMLeafer

I don't see this exact trade happening. But LA 5th to Toronto for 7th + a 2nd rounder or so (just like last year with NYI and TOR) is possible.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Lapierre for captain

More like Kaberle for 5th overall

Lapierre for captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Kingsword

Gonna re-state this for all the Kings fans whos feelings are somehow hurt.

Picks 1-4 are gamebreakers. Schenn is not in that category, neither is MSP. They bring different skillsets Schenn is a playmaking center with a solid two way game, comporable to Mike Richards or more realistically Brendan Morrow.

Svenson-Paajarvi is an amazing skater with good vision who can finish, he has played with men since he was 16, his numbers are not astronomical but he has not had privelage of working with legendary coaches and the training staff we have here in North America. A good comparison is Kopitar, both skillwise and size wise Forsberg is taking it beyond the kids god given ability.

Schenn and MSP are on the same level. Different skill sets, but the same category.
They will more likely be very good second line players where your Kanes and Duchenes will be first liners.

Boyle and Purcell are both ready for offersheets. No need to include them unless your asking for the rights to talk to them for a week (which I don't think you can do anywho)

I didn't suggest Kaberle or Kubina because of their ages and bloated contracts. Doughty will be better then either of these guys will make 4-5 million when his ELC is over with the new cap coming in.

Last edited by Kingsword: 06-24-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Kingsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Ace88*

Man some of my fellow Kings fans are just downright retarded. Kaberle to move up TWO ****ING SPOTS!?
Are you nuts? You seem to forget that just last year all it took was a 2nd rounder to trade up 2 spots! MY ****ing lord im happy that this board is not a general manager.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88 View Post
Man some of my fellow Kings fans are just downright retarded. Kaberle to move up TWO ****ING SPOTS!?
Are you nuts? You seem to forget that just last year all it took was a 2nd rounder to trade up 2 spots! MY ****ing lord im happy that this board is not a general manager.
While it wouldn't take Kaberle to move up two spots, it'd take more than Ian ****ing White.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
While it wouldn't take Kaberle to move up two spots, it'd take more than Ian ****ing White.
Probably, but I would agree that it's a whole lot closer to Ian ****ing White than it is to Tomas Kaberle. (And that's coming from a guy that has been lectured by Leafs fans to not underrate Kaberle - just like about everybody on this board... )

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:57 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

this is terrible for the Kings

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Toronto Maple Burke

If Leafs can't trade up to top 3 of the draft (I highly doubt they will), they should stay put and draft BPA at 7. I don't see any reason why Toronto should give up Poni/White to go up two spots only but then again I am one of the few that doesn't see a difference between drafting Schenn/Kane and drafting MSP.

Toronto Maple Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Price31 View Post
More like Kaberle for 5th overall

man........... stay away from your crack pipe..........

how many NOOOOOOOOO's do you need on that one ???????

Let's face it.........

everything depends on MPS........

if he is available at # 7.......
we trade #5 09 ........ for #7 09 + 1st rounder 2010...........
everything else will be rejected by Lombardi........

before you guys start that overvaluing crap....
read what Lombardi said........

that means huge Overpayment or no # 5 for you.......

take it as it is...... and stop that freaking Kaberle Kaberle shoping

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
OldGreatWestern

Collect all the colors and win a special prize!

White,Brown, Greene

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote