HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lookinf for opinions on whether to join a hockey league or not.

Old
06-26-2009, 10:35 AM
tobyandmisty

vCash: 500
Lookinf for opinions on whether to join a hockey league or not.

I am currently 40 years old and I play in pick up games on Sunday. A few of the guys close to my age want to join a summer league. I know the starting time frames for the games should be a little bit earlier (possibly 8-10) becuase all of the high school kids are out of school. The season is 10 games and playoffs. I want to do it, but I am concered I may wipe out my energy for work.

I would appreciate some feedback and what your ages are if you play in a similar league.

Thank you.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:41 AM
hockeyeast

I just joined a league as a beginner, same format. Also in 40's. In no way does this take a toll on the next day at work. Its good exercise

hockeyeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:47 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Go right ahead. You'll be fine energy wise.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Go right ahead. You'll be fine energy wise.
cptjeff, what did you do for infractions?

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Beerfish

The 1st game or so might be tough on you but I'm guessing it will have the exact opposite effect in the long run. Work will probably improve and you will feel better physically and mentally. What line of work are you in, something physically demanding?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:14 AM
DJnet65

Well what kind of work do you do? If it is a physically active job it you may be a bit wore out at first. If it's a desk job no worries.

League games aren't much different from pick up games as far as energy the next day.

In the long run the more you play the better shape you will be in the more energy you will have overall.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
noobman

You might be sore after the first few games. That will go away and you'll soon find yourself having more energy for work. I'm come back from midnight shinny games (12am - 2am) tired as heck and still managed to make 8am classes the next morning.

Then again I'm about half your age

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Devil Dancer

I use less energy at league games than I do at pickup because the total ice time is lower. At pickup I'm usually on the ice for 1/2 to 1/3 of 1.5 hours, so as much as 45 minutes of ice time. At a league game I'll only get 1/3 of 45 minutes, or rarely 1/2, so 23.5 mins max.

Plus there are more stoppages at league games, allowing you to recover from fatigue.

Definitely join the league.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:44 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
cptjeff, what did you do for infractions?
I'm surprised you're able to see that.

I posted a link to a rickroll in the lounge that made you click through pop up message boxes with all the lyrics to the song when you tried to close the window. Mod didn't keep clicking long enough, restarted his computer, and got pissed.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 12:02 PM
tobyandmisty

Thanks guys, great info for thought. I am going to join. I totally agree with using more energy in pick up games, sometimes I cannot get off of the ice when I need to because lack of players.

As far as work I have a half physical and half desk job, but I can do more desk if needed.

I will join on Monday.

PS. I cannot believe I did not see the error I had in the title.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Frankie Spankie

I'm not sure what condition you're in and I probably shouldn't be talking since I'm just 20. However, I'm not that good so I'm playing in lower-level leagues where I'm the youngest in both leagues by at least 7 years.

Here's what my leagues are like:

One is Wednesday morning. There's one guy on my team who's a full time plumber and plays 5 times a week and never complains about being tired at work. Oh ya, I forgot to mention, he's 67 years old. There's another guy who only plays in this one league a week, maybe the occasional pick up game, that also never complains about work. He's 63.

I also play Thursday nights. Everybody's drinking beers after the game and they all work the next day. These games are also pretty late too. It's earlier now in the summer but during the winter, the games were at 9:30 and 10:30. Nobody ever complained about working the next day and granted, there's no 60 year olds in the league, most of the league is still in the 30-50 range. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one younger than 30 in this league.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Lososaurus

I'm having a great time just playing pickup. No jerks taking it super seriously, no drama with the refs. Just good times with good people.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Saved*

Quote:

I posted a link to a rickroll in the lounge that made you click through pop up message boxes with all the lyrics to the song when you tried to close the window. Mod didn't keep clicking long enough, restarted his computer, and got pissed.
Haha I just didn't see your avatar so I assumed that you got at least 2 infractions.

Then I find all avatars are off.

Sorry! Lol

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:58 PM
noobman

Quote:

...or he could have just killed the process (ctrl+alt+del)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:38 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

You're worried you'll be too tired for work? My friend, you should be worried that work will make you too tired to play hockey. Live to play, not work to live.

Edit: In other words, do it!!!

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote