HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Baizley: "Koivu wants to stay in Montreal."

Old
06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Le depisteur

vCash: 500
Don Baizley: "Koivu wants to stay in Montreal."

"Saku would like to stay in Montreal, but we're waiting to see what the team has in mind," Baizley said.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sport...422/story.html

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
bobhabs46

I want to keep Koivu with the Habs because if we traded for Lecavalier, Koivu will be the best fit to play center on the second line with the brothers Kostitsyn's.

bobhabs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:51 AM
MonacoBlue

Thank you God! If there is any UFA loss that would be crushing for me, it would be Koivu. He's my favourite player, and I really don't understand why some people don't like him and hold the fact that he's not a top center against him. His salary even last year was reasonable for a player of his status. Have you seen some of the other contracts out there? Fisher, Handzus, Horcoff, Nylander, Drury, Gomez, Zubrus, Madden, Brad Richards...the list goes on and on. PLEASE stay Koivu! And Bob....treat him with the respect he deserves.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:52 AM
GoodKiwi

I don't care if everybody else walks July 1st as far as Koivu is still here.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Turboflex*

Good to hear if true, I was worried he was tired of the gong show here and wanted to escape.

Koivu had a solid season last year, wasn't his fault the other top line scoring centre's were M.I.A. (Lang injured, Pleks sucktastic) and he was stuck carrying the team again.

Habs will be in a lot of trouble if Koivu leaves, even if they do land Lecavalier. Habs aren't winning anything with Plekanec or Lapierre as #2 centre.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I would like to see Saku here.

He always finds it in himself to pick it up a notch when the chips are down. I watched him go full speed into the corner against Chara too many times while other players on our team pretend to...

If he's got a little of the pressure removed and plays in a lesser role we'll be set-up for great success (Borat voice).

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
"Saku would like to stay in Montreal, but we're waiting to see what the team has in mind," Baizley said.
If I read into it correctly, it's good to hear he's patient and doesn't take offense by not being priority #1 and understands his time will come.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:55 AM
marchabsfan

of course he wants to stay here, no one will give him close to what he will get here

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:56 AM
gusfring

I hope he comes back and for his sake can play with better linemates then the Kostitsyn's...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:57 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
of course he wants to stay here, no one will give him close to what he will get here
Anaheim would easily give him $4+ mil.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
habtastic

STAYYYYYY!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Tuggy

He's still a good option for the second line center and if he comes back hopefully that's what he is.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
so what then is it that "we" are waiting for?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
HABSINCE76

Koivu Koivu Koivu!!!!!!!!!!!!

HABSINCE76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He's still a good option for the second line center and if he comes back hopefully that's what he is.
Hopefully, but as we've seen before even when we try and have him as a 2nd line C, he ends up being the 1st line C because he's all we got.

It baffles me how fans here almost blame him for not being a 1st line centre...It's not like it's his fault that he's put in this position. Unless you believe that he's the puppetmaster who forces Gainey to fire coaches and make him be the top guy every year.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:06 AM
maci4life

In the twilight of his career, i believe he'd be an awesome 3rd line energy line centre. If he assumes that role then he should have no problem ending his career in MTL. If he asks for more than that role, then i can't see him staying.

I don't want him gone, but we have too many checking lines and not enough scoring lines. Leave it to the vinny's and Kovy's to do the scoring, let saku take a break from that responsibility and let mighty mouse go crazy on the other teams top lines.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:08 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhabs46 View Post
I want to keep Koivu with the Habs because if we traded for Lecavalier, Koivu will be the best fit to play center on the second line with the brothers Kostitsyn's.
Agreed. It would be nearly impossible to sign number 1 and number 2 UFA centers. Koivu is the perfect candidate for number 2.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:08 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Hopefully, but as we've seen before even when we try and have him as a 2nd line C, he ends up being the 1st line C because he's all we got.

It baffles me how fans here almost blame him for not being a 1st line centre...It's not like it's his fault that he's put in this position. Unless you believe that he's the puppetmaster who forces Gainey to fire coaches and make him be the top guy every year.
like you said, he's a 2nd line centre doing 1st and second because Mtl has no one else to turn to. Once mtl gets the centres they need, then koivu can remove himself out of the spotlight and I believe really excell in that energy line.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:10 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
In the twilight of his career, i believe he'd be an awesome 3rd line energy line centre. If he assumes that role then he should have no problem ending his career in MTL. If he asks for more than that role, then i can't see him staying.

I don't want him gone, but we have too many checking lines and not enough scoring lines. Leave it to the vinny's and Kovy's to do the scoring, let saku take a break from that responsibility and let mighty mouse go crazy on the other teams top lines.
Have you seen Koivu's point totals? There is nothing to indicate even now that Koivu can't anchor a second line. If you look at the 2nd line centres around the league, Koivu is one of the best. He's a good top 6 player. Sure you could have two top line centers, but that usually means you're playing short a top 6 winger or two. This is why I'm upset Pittsburgh won: Kunitz and Guerin are top line wingers? In what world? Bah, the wrong team won.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Good, I always knew Koivu would be staying.

1st line, 2nd line, 4th line, I don't care. The guy is a warrior and I want him to retire with the Habs, looks good on him and the organization. If he could stay as long as he has with all the **** he has had to put up with, Montreal must really be a special place to play.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Roulin

Quote:

Regardless of the debate over Koivu's role at even strength, I can't see him not playing a role on the PP. With his faceoff skills, creativity and smarts - even if his skating continues to decline, I think he will continue to excel at the "half court" game.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
MathMan

Koivu's scoring rates were actually first-line-worthy this year, but personally I blame Tanguay for that.

He can be a great second-line center, no doubt about it.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Gros Bill

Hope he sticks around.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
jcpenny

Quote:

Koivu is still a scoring line center and will never be a 3rd liner.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Marksman

This is great news. I hope Bob heard this, and stops twiddling his thumbs with him and our other UFA players. Even if we somehow got St Vincent, it would be nice to have the old captain around.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote