HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Baizley: "Koivu wants to stay in Montreal."

Old
06-25-2009, 10:27 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Hope he sticks around.
That story doesn't make me more confident though. Whatever Gainey is trying to do will determine what and if they make him an offer, and I'm not sure that by the 28th or 29th, it makes much sense for him to sign anything.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
That story doesn't make me more confident though. Whatever Gainey is trying to do will determine what and if they make him an offer, and I'm not sure that by the 28th or 29th, it makes much sense for him to sign anything.
From a strictly business point of view, it does not make sense, but after a 16 year association to the Canadiens, maybe business is not what matters most? Especially if Gainey finally succeeds at getting that big #1 center to put in front of him. He loves Montreal and that could be enough for him to sign late.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
At this time of year (at any time of year), any article quoting an agent is suspect. This one has the added uncertainty bonus of being from Pat Hickey. OTOH, Koivu seems to be attached to the city and he's given no indication wants to leave. So yeah, I hope he sticks around.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Darz

Here's hoping Koivu stays. He is one of those players who should play his entire career with one team.

I'm wondering if Koivu would be better utilized if he was used more in a C/LW situation. If Plekanec and A. Kost. can click again, you could have a second line of

Koivu-Plekanec-A. Kostitsyn

....and if Plek's and A.Kost don't click, use a second line of

______-Koivu-A.Kostitsyn

06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Marksman

I'd rather see Plekanec moved to the wing than Koivu.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Avant-Gardien

I'm happy to see Saku hasn't jumped ship, and I hope the team gets to the same page here. Those who want Saku out of town continually overlook two things: A.) Just how much better he makes anyone put onto a line with him and B.) The incredible gaping hole down the middle we'd have without him there.

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Anaheim would easily give him $4+ mil.
No they wouldn't :S

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:53 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
I'd rather see Plekanec moved to the wing than Koivu.
I always felt the same actually. There was one shock treatment I would have done to shake him out of his latest offensive starvation and that was it.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:58 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
At this time of year (at any time of year), any article quoting an agent is suspect. This one has the added uncertainty bonus of being from Pat Hickey. OTOH, Koivu seems to be attached to the city and he's given no indication wants to leave. So yeah, I hope he sticks around.
Like the article quoting the Sedins' agent saying Montreal is among the possibilities for them... Can't blame him for kicking the tires on the team with the most cap space and hoping they contribute to the bidding war!

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:07 AM
overlords
Hfboards

if we get lecavalier and koivu stays, the media will but a ridiculous amount of pressure to make vincent captain which would be the dumbest thing ever. I don't think i'll be able to watch that.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
if we get lecavalier and koivu stays, the media will but a ridiculous amount of pressure to make vincent captain which would be the dumbest thing ever. I don't think i'll be able to watch that.
In that case Vinny himself needs to make a statement saying he would prefer if Koivu remained captain as this is his team.

I don't think Vinny is a natural captain anyways. He already lose the captaincy in Tampa once, and when it was vacant he STILL wan't made captain. Even last year, when he was finally made captain, many people said the real leader on that team was Marty St-Louis. Vinny is a quiet guy who doesn't seem to prefer high pressure situations.

In the end I think it's a given (what with the media and fan pressure) that he ends up captain eventually...But give him a few years of having an A on his sweater to get used to the environment here and then Koivu can officially pass him the reigns once he's called it quits. Better for everyone involved I think.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Kikizaz

Finally something truly optimistic! I was getting bored of the doom and gloom we are suffering through right now.

PS... who here actually thought koivu wouldn't be coming back?

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhabs46 View Post
I want to keep Koivu with the Habs because if we traded for Lecavalier, Koivu will be the best fit to play center on the second line with the brothers Kostitsyn's.
Actually, if we traded for Lecavalier, I'd like to see the following:

Tanguay-Lecavalier-AKost
SKost-Koivu-Patches
Lats-Laps-Higgins (unless he's part of the trade)

Lats might also be ready for more icetime, so he could be switched with Pacioretti. Training camp could determined that.

Tanguay would have 2 dangerous options for passing.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Just find strange his "If they don't sign me before July 1st, I'm out" statement he made at the end of the season. If you really want to stick around, you understand that they might want to improve themselves and then if it doesn't happen, that while you might be Plan B, you are still in a plan anyway.

I know that if I would desperately want to stick with a team, not only would I have not given them an ultimatum, but I would also give them a chance to give me the same offer that another team would have given me past July 1st.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:55 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just find strange his "If they don't sign me before July 1st, I'm out" statement he made at the end of the season. If you really want to stick around, you understand that they might want to improve themselves and then if it doesn't happen, that while you might be Plan B, you are still in a plan anyway.

I know that if I would desperately want to stick with a team, not only would I have not given them an ultimatum, but I would also give them a chance to give me the same offer that another team would have given me past July 1st.
I think people are reading a bit too much into that comment. I remember it being something more along the lines of "If I stay in Montreal, I will probably be signed before July 1st."

Regardless of his actual words, I don't think it was meant to be a threatening comment or anything of the like. It seemed to be more of a realistic assessment of a UFA's situation. Most UFA's that hit the open market don't return to their original team.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:56 AM
RC51

OK, well if Koivu wants to stay he will be paid as a 2nd center.
2.5-3.5 mil per for 2 years.
if he don't like it then have a nice day.
It's only important what the HABS are willing to pay not who pays more.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He's still a good option for the second line center and if he comes back hopefully that's what he is.
What he said

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:09 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
OK, well if Koivu wants to stay he will be paid as a 2nd center.
2.5-3.5 mil per for 2 years.
if he don't like it then have a nice day.
It's only important what the HABS are willing to pay not who pays more.
I think $3.5 mil is fair, but on which team exactly are 2nd line centres paid $2.5 mil??

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
I think people are reading a bit too much into that comment. I remember it being something more along the lines of "If I stay in Montreal, I will probably be signed before July 1st."

Regardless of his actual words, I don't think it was meant to be a threatening comment or anything of the like. It seemed to be more of a realistic assessment of a UFA's situation. Most UFA's that hit the open market don't return to their original team.
Quote:
"If Iím not signed by July 1, I donít think Iíll be back in Montreal," Koivu said.
To me, I definately read, if Gainey doesn't sign me before July 1st, I'm not interested in giving him a chance to give me an offer after. I mean he had to know that this was a particular year for Gainey. That not receiving an offer did not necessarily meant that he was not interested in him. Might be the case usually but this is not a usual year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:
To me, I definately read, if Gainey doesn't sign me before July 1st, I'm not interested in giving him a chance to give me an offer after. I mean he had to know that this was a particular year for Gainey. That not receiving an offer did not necessarily meant that he was not interested in him. Might be the case usually but this is not a usual year.
I took that to mean that not signing by then would be an indication that the team was going in a different direction. They've never haggled over $ before. I don't read that as an ultimatum, nor a line drawn in the sand. If you called him up, [I know you have his number], I'd bet he wouldn't remember saying it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:27 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think $3.5 mil is fair, but on which team exactly are 2nd line centres paid $2.5 mil??
Montreal, where every players should sign 1M under what they are worth.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:28 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
I had a feeling you'd find the quotation. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm still not convinced that Koivu was playing hardball in any way. If I recall correctly, that quotation came from the post-season press scrum that occurred at the end of the playoffs. At that time, Koivu probably had a lot more questions than answers about his situation. Even though he had probably thought a bit about what would happen when the season was over, I doubt that he had completely figured out what he wanted to do or where he wanted to go. I think he was just giving his opinion as to what would most likely happen if he hit the open market. It seems like a pretty realistic assessment to me.

Anyways, there's 3 full days of time to negotiate after the draft. I assume that Koivu and his agent have decided the ballpark figures on a contract they would agree to. If Koivu fits into the plan, I really think that negotiations won't drag on past the deadline.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
I had a feeling you'd find the quotation. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm still not convinced that Koivu was playing hardball in any way. If I recall correctly, that quotation came from the post-season press scrum that occurred at the end of the playoffs. At that time, Koivu probably had a lot more questions than answers about his situation. Even though he had probably thought a bit about what would happen when the season was over, I doubt that he had completely figured out what he wanted to do or where he wanted to go. I think he was just giving his opinion as to what would most likely happen if he hit the open market. It seems like a pretty realistic assessment to me.

Anyways, there's 3 full days of time to negotiate after the draft. I assume that Koivu and his agent have decided the ballpark figures on a contract they would agree to. If Koivu fits into the plan, I really think that negotiations won't drag on past the deadline.
Exaclty. If Baizley just said that they've had contact with Gainey, and understand that he has to take some times on other things, but does want to negociate, and then states that Koivu wants to stay in Montreal, they will be giving prioprity to the Habs even if its pass July 1st.

Some people have a tendency to only read into the negative aspects of a situation, especially when it concerns the Habs.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Best case scenario is that we can add a top centre, then keep Koivu around for 2 more years until Maxwell or someone else steps up to take a top 2 centre role.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:16 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Best case scenario is that we can add a top centre, then keep Koivu around for 2 more years until Maxwell or someone else steps up to take a top 2 centre role.
I agree, as long as Koivu accepts a mark down, under 4 mil would be ideal (he probably won't accept 3 since the contract is only 2 years).

That would also mean trading Pleks...

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote