HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Baizley: "Koivu wants to stay in Montreal."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
  #51
muzion
Registered User
 
muzion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St-Hubert, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
I'd rather have him than Plekanec as our 2nd line center.

muzion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:30 PM
  #52
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,331
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Really hope they come to a deal and he is the teams second line center for a couple of more season. Of course this means finding someone to be on the first line :p

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
  #53
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
ok so koivu would get as much eslewhere as the amount we will offer him. right.
First off, go read the rules and guidelines of the site. Anyone can say that a COMMENT or POST is stupid. What people can't do is call other people stupid. That's the nuance you seem unable to understand.

Secondly, I think it was highly warranted. Go take a look at the list of centers who are free agents this year. Koivu is among the top 5 available, so for sure he would receive a bigger offer elsewhere, its the law of the market, the law of supply and demand.


Last edited by Watsatheo: 06-25-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
  #54
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
ok so koivu would get as much eslewhere as the amount we will offer him. right.
I think by site rules, it's ok to be openly insulting, only if the recipient of said insults is a 'insert insulting term'.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
  #55
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think by site rules, it's ok to be openly insulting, only if the recipient of said insults is a 'insert insulting term'.
You're a pip, McPhee, a real pip, you know that?

(just giving an example).

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
  #56
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
You're a pip, McPhee, a real pip, you know that?

(just giving an example).
MODS, this bastidge just called me a pip. Hmm, a young Gladys Knight ? Of course I would've.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:00 PM
  #57
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
I'd rather have him than Plekanec as our 2nd line center.
Plekanec is too small. Give me Lecavalier, Lang, Koivu and Lapierre as our top 4 and we'll take the conference.

Lecavalier with Tanguay and Pacioretty
Lang with the brothers
Koivu with Latendresse and D'Ags
Lapierre with Kostopolous and Stewart/Laraque/Metropolit

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:02 PM
  #58
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
MODS, this bastidge just called me a pip. Hmm, a young Gladys Knight ? Of course I would've.
MODS, he just called me a bastidge.

Best I could find for pip is "a thick mucous discharge that forms a crust in the mouth and throat". That can't be right, though, there's an orifice missing.

Dingbat.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
  #59
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
MODS, he just called me a bastidge.

Best I could find for pip is "a thick mucous discharge that forms a crust in the mouth and throat". That can't be right, though, there's an orifice missing.

Dingbat.
That would've been a helluva way to introduce the group. Kind of re-defining the Motown sound, ooh ooh.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
  #60
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
MODS, this bastidge just called me a pip. Hmm, a young Gladys Knight ? Of course I would've.
The only pip I know is from Great Expectations. So maybe he's saying your an orphan that will find a rich old woman that sets you up with her rich hot young daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
MODS, he just called me a bastidge.

Best I could find for pip is "a thick mucous discharge that forms a crust in the mouth and throat". That can't be right, though, there's an orifice missing.

Dingbat.
mcphee said you are in fact a bastidge so I can't give warning points for the truth. Feel free to call mcphee a smelly goat hearder

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
  #61
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
MODS, he just called me a bastidge.

Best I could find for pip is "a thick mucous discharge that forms a crust in the mouth and throat". That can't be right, though, there's an orifice missing.

Dingbat.
What I came up with is Picture-In-Picture.

I could very well imagine McPhee as the poster boy for P.I.P. You see TVs in a catalogue, and in the examples there's McPhee in the quarter panel of the screen. Whether it helps to sell, I don't have a clue, but I am entirely sure its not an insult and that I've just wasted the tip of my fingers writting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The only pip I know is from Great Expectations. So maybe he's saying your an orphan that will find a rich old woman that sets you up with her rich hot young daughter.

mcphee said you are in fact a bastidge so I can't give warning points for the truth. Feel free to call mcphee a smelly goat hearder
You're being entirely way too nice. you can't be called a herder when there's only one animal to herd, and then you wonder, is herding the right term?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:25 PM
  #62
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The only pip I know is from Great Expectations. So maybe he's saying your an orphan that will find a rich old woman that sets you up with her rich hot young daughter.

mcphee said you are in fact a bastidge so I can't give warning points for the truth. Feel free to call mcphee a smelly goat hearder
I haven't met McPhee, but I'm told that calling him a "smelly goat herder" would hardly be an insult, but rather more like a step up. For him, "old spice" is what's in the back of the cupboard, all stuck together in the bottom of a jar. But then again, that scent is an improvement on the usual McPhee effluvia. He only knows "soap" as something his mother made him eat.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:30 PM
  #63
marchabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
First off, go read the rules and guidelines of the site. Anyone can say that a COMMENT or POST is stupid. What people can't do is call other people stupid. That's the nuance you seem unable to understand.

Secondly, I think it was highly warranted. Go take a look at the list of centers who are free agents this year. Koivu is among the top 5 available, so for sure he would receive a bigger offer elsewhere, its the law of the market, the law of supply and demand.
did I ask you something?


second, try to stay on subject. the part about 5th grade...?! what about that.

anyway, it's not always about supply and demand. else we would be able to predict like a certainty all the offers that will be made and we are often surprised.

there are other factors in play. this could be leadership (or perceived leadership), sportsmanship, community support, the position of each team, etc. so yes, in my opinion of koivu's case, the best offer he would get money wise is from montreal. why? first, we lack a 1st line center. a team like detroit wouldnt offer him 4.5 a year but we would, partly because of that (we can "afford" to him). second, there's a emotional reason. thats two of the reasons behind my thinking. sorryyyyy for being soooooo stupid

no wonder this board has become what it is. you say, with respect to all, an opinion that's opposite of the usual thinking, and you get isolated and insulted.did I sometimes wrote too harsly? probably. but some would not admit that 90% of the time I am merely suggesting another point of view.


Last edited by Watsatheo: 06-25-2009 at 03:22 PM.
marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:49 PM
  #64
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Plekanec is too small. Give me Lecavalier, Lang, Koivu and Lapierre as our top 4 and we'll take the conference.

Lecavalier with Tanguay and Pacioretty
Lang with the brothers
Koivu with Latendresse and D'Ags
Lapierre with Kostopolous and Stewart/Laraque/Metropolit
So we got Lecavalier for free?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
  #65
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So we got Lecavalier for free?
$85mil can buy a lot these days! Seriously, I think if Vinny is traded, many will be shocked by how little goes to Tampa. It won't be a hockey trade, it'll be a financial decision. I still don't think the Habs should do it.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:57 PM
  #66
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
did I ask you something?
Hmm, hello??? This is a comment board, if you want your conversation to be privy and have no one butt in, PM people, talk to your friends if you have any.

Quote:
my point was made because I received a warning a while ago for something that was far less important...
It's not a question of importance, its a question of direct flamming. If you say that someone is this or that, you will get an infraction. If you say what the person SAID or WROTE was stupid, you won't get an infraction. Ask any mod, its right there in the guidelines.

Quote:
second, try to stay on subject. the part about 5th grade...?! what about that.
Because supply and demand is very basic, easy to understand, and is one of the defining factors of the value of assets in professional sports, especially when we're talking of free agency markets.

Quote:
anyway, it's not always about supply and demand.
Yes it is. Unless the player takes a hometown discount. But when you are dealing with an open market, with a commodity that is in demand and there's a short supply.

Quote:
else we would be able to predict like a certainty all the offers that will be made and we are often surprised.
Yes surprised by OVERPAYMENT most of the time, and that is due to supply and demand. That,s because of the open market.


Quote:
there are other factors in play. this could be leadership (or perceived leadership), sportsmanship, community support, the position of each team, etc.


All those are more related to a player staying and taking a hometown discount. The defining factor of an open market is more often than not supply and demand.

Quote:
so yes, in my opinion of koivu's case, the best offer he would get money wise is from montreal
Quote:
. why? first, we lack a 1st line center. a team like detroit wouldnt offer him 4.5 a year but we would, partly because of that (we can "afford" to him).
Yeah, chose Detroit as an example. You really make a point there

Chicago may lose Havlat. Anaheim has a great need for a second line center. LA might want his experience as a second line center. There are so many other examples that prove otherwise than chosing the SC finalists

Once Koivu hits the market, considering the lack of centermen in the UFA list, Koivu would be in demand, raising his price more than what the Habs would offer Koivu.

Quote:
second, there's a emotional reason. thats two of the reasons behind my thinking. sorryyyyy for being soooooo stupid
The emotional reason is actually the reason Koivu would probably accept a hometown discount.

Quote:
no wonder this board has become what it is. you say, with respect to all, an opinion that's opposite of the usual thinking, and you get isolated and insulted.
The board has become what it is because many people have left it because of people exactly like you. We don't need stupid comments.

May I remind you of your quote :

Quote:
of course he wants to stay here, no one will give him close to what he will get here
So not only are you insinuating that Koivu's reason for staying here is because of money, you say no will give him anything close to what he gets here.

Maybe if you would have said, Koivu would probably get more here than elsewhere, you wouldn't receive the responses you did receive. But you make it sound as he's worth nothing much on the market which is patently stupid.

Quote:
did I sometimes wrote too harsly? probably. but some would not admit that 90% of the time I am merely suggesting another point of view.
You are not suggesting, you are flat out saying Koivu isn't worth much around the league. And you are saying it with an air of absolutism. That its the cold hard fact, when true logical deduction would consider the law of supply and demand and the fact that centermen of Koivu's caliber are very few this year in the UFA list and that teams do have a demand for them.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:06 PM
  #67
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,722
vCash: 500
good, now bob sign him and lets get rid of the true cancer of this team


I am anxious to see his leadership not being undermined by other players

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
  #68
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
First of all, of course they are going to say that Koivu wants to stay - only moron crybaby players ask to be traded publically. (See Heatley, Dany)

Second of all, Koivu would be able to garner his last years wage on a lot of teams I'm sure. #1 he's a fairly good center, and probably one of the best second line centers in the NHL. #2, he's a UFA and we all know how overpayment works. Look at Ryder's contract last year.

Finally - I personally don't expect to see him here next year. But that's just my opinion. It's my gut feeling. I think last year's crap-storm took a lot out of the players and it showed them how bad it can get here. He's getting to the end of his career, he's probably tired of the media, and he probably wouldn't want to take a pay-cut for a team that MIGHT make it to the second round.

There's a lot of if's when it comes to Koivu.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
  #69
marchabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Hmm, hello??? This is a comment board, if you want your conversation to be privy and have no one butt in, PM people, talk to your friends if you have any.



It's not a question of importance, its a question of direct flamming. If you say that someone is this or that, you will get an infraction. If you say what the person SAID or WROTE was stupid, you won't get an infraction. Ask any mod, its right there in the guidelines.



Because supply and demand is very basic, easy to understand, and is one of the defining factors of the value of assets in professional sports, especially when we're talking of free agency markets.



Yes it is. Unless the player takes a hometown discount. But when you are dealing with an open market, with a commodity that is in demand and there's a short supply.



Yes surprised by OVERPAYMENT most of the time, and that is due to supply and demand. That,s because of the open market.




All those are more related to a player staying and taking a hometown discount. The defining factor of an open market is more often than not supply and demand.



Yeah, chose Detroit as an example. You really make a point there

Chicago may lose Havlat. Anaheim has a great need for a second line center. LA might want his experience as a second line center. There are so many other examples that prove otherwise than chosing the SC finalists

Once Koivu hits the market, considering the lack of centermen in the UFA list, Koivu would be in demand, raising his price more than what the Habs would offer Koivu.



The emotional reason is actually the reason Koivu would probably accept a hometown discount.



The board has become what it is because many people have left it because of people exactly like you. We don't need stupid comments.

May I remind you of your quote :



So not only are you insinuating that Koivu's reason for staying here is because of money, you say no will give him anything close to what he gets here.

Maybe if you would have said, Koivu would probably get more here than elsewhere, you wouldn't receive the responses you did receive. But you make it sound as he's worth nothing much on the market which is patently stupid.



You are not suggesting, you are flat out saying Koivu isn't worth much around the league. And you are saying it with an air of absolutism. That its the cold hard fact, when true logical deduction would consider the law of supply and demand and the fact that centermen of Koivu's caliber are very few this year in the UFA list and that teams do have a demand for them.
ok so youre 100% right and Im 100% wrong. I make it sound like koivu wouldnt get an offer close to montreal's, and thats stupid. so does the other way around, why not. bla bla and rebla. allllllways X or Y around here. you can say whatever you like about the Y but so do I about the X. that means if youre allowed to think and say that koivu would receive as good as montreal's offer elsewhere I also can write the opposite. the difference is, believe it or not, that I respect the other side's opinion. you guys must be hard lo live with always thinking you know "the truth" that must be. heeeeeeeeey, koivu's must be worth as much elsewhere, it's supply and demand maaaan.

in my opinion, it's position like yours thats not useful for this board, it's just plain fan delusion (koivu is good, gainey is great, etc). but hey, its all opinions right.


Last edited by marchabsfan: 06-25-2009 at 03:32 PM.
marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:43 PM
  #70
silver321
 
silver321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhabs46 View Post
I want to keep Koivu with the Habs because if we traded for Lecavalier, Koivu will be the best fit to play center on the second line with the brothers Kostitsyn's.
Indeed, I want Saku back only if he is playing on 2nd line, he's getting old and 1st line is a bit too much for him. He was playing pretty well with kostitsyns bros, Plekanec will be our 1st center if we dont trade for Lecavalier. I know Plekanec will rebound from last year.

silver321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:53 PM
  #71
Maximus Taylor
 
Maximus Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
the question is, will Koivu take a backseat willingly or will he pout?

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
  #72
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refunded Pants View Post
the question is, will Koivu take a backseat willingly or will he pout?
Has he ever given the indication that he's the type to pout?

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
  #73
Maximus Taylor
 
Maximus Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Has he ever given the indication that he's the type to pout?
He didn't seem too happy to take a back seat to Plexs or Ribs, but that's me.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
  #74
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Has he ever given the indication that he's the type to pout?
the friction between him and Ribs is a possible indicator.

now it is also possible that he just didn't like the guy, but that the rift seemed to get worse after Ribeiro had his break out season, leading the team in points, suggests the potential for sour grapes.

please don't read this as me implying that Koivu wasn't potentially justified in disliking/shunning Ribs, i was not a fan of little mikey, but that situation, combined with rumblings I've heard from various people close to the team, certainly make it a legitimate question, at least in my mind.


and for the record, i'm fully on board Koivu re-signing with the team in a second line role (assuming we do manage to land a 1st line centre, otherwise he could very well be 1a again), just as long as it's a favorable contract and NOT the highest offer on the market for him...

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
  #75
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!
 
didouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
sign my 2nd line center please after the bob MEGA Deal tomorrow

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.