HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who's gonna blow the 2009 NHL Draft

Old
06-25-2009, 11:36 AM
BIG BLUE

vCash: 500
I don't think John Moore would be a mistake at all...

If I were at 7, I wouldn't draft Cowen, but trade down to acquire another draft pick and select John Moore.

When it's all said and done, John Moore may be the best D in this draft, only time will tell.

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:39 AM
TomLaidlaw

Not me. The draft needs to take me out for a nice dinner first.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:42 AM
BIG BLUE

well played

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:43 AM
dangler71

You got to think the Islanders will blow it somehow. They always draft the best talent and then trade it away for nothing. Watch them draft Tavares and then trade him away for 2 or 3 average over the hill forwards and a mediocre dman

dangler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
LBislander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangler71 View Post
You got to think the Islanders will blow it somehow. They always draft the best talent and then trade it away for nothing. Watch them draft Tavares and then trade him away for 2 or 3 average over the hill forwards and a mediocre dman
Times have changed my friend. We no longer have Milbury ruining this team.

LBislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:57 AM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

This is an easy question to answer. The loser will be the team which dared to select a player, or players, higher than said player's rankings according to ISS, CSB etc. I mean, who do these people think they are?? And the winner will be the team which selected one or more players much lower than their rankings according to ISS, CSB etc....

Edit: Just to make sure:

The Islanders, with all their picks, including first overall, will imo wind up as the winner of this draft. They can either use all picks on draftees or they can trade some of the picks (not #1, #31) for immediate help, either way, they will do good.

The loser: Ask me five years from now. Boring? Yeah, but that's how it is.

Last edited by VikingAv: 06-25-2009 at 12:05 PM.
VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangler71 View Post
You got to think the Islanders will blow it somehow. They always draft the best talent and then trade it away for nothing.
When have we traded away "the best talent" since Milbury was the G.M. here?

Answer: we haven't

Quote:
Watch them draft Tavares and then trade him away for 2 or 3 average over the hill forwards and a mediocre dman
Very nice random statement you have here that was based on no merits besides what our former G.M. did years ago.

Alright let me make a baseless inane statement like yours: Thrashers will trade away the fourth overall and Ilya Kovalchuk to the Capitals for their first round pick and a fifth round pick.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Huge mistake for any of the first 27 teams on picking Moore.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFTW View Post
When have we traded away "the best talent" since Milbury was the G.M. here?

Answer: we haven't

Very nice random statement you have here that was based on no merits besides what our former G.M. did years ago.

Alright let me make a baseless inane statement like yours: Thrashers will trade away the fourth overall and Ilya Kovalchuk to the Capitals for their first round pick and a fifth round pick.
You're heard the expression "don't feed the trolls" right?

Besides, one could argue that trading away a shot at Filatov, Schenn, Wilson etc was giving away talent.

06-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Taylor Hall 4

The point of the thread isn't that John Moore Glennie or Despres are gonna be terrible hockey players. I understand you can't make that prediciton but my point is that a team will have options on players that are "currently" predicted to be better and other good but not great players and will be expect to shine.

FYI: Will be to some degree know who blew this draft if Jordan Caron is selected in a top 5 range.

Taylor Hall 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Islander Strange View Post
How is that even possible? They have a ****** proof pick and a billion picks plus Millbury is not around. Isles could take Tavares, Hedman or Duchene and be the biggest winners of that draft. Why don't you stop next time and read the question, ponder the possible logical answers you have then unleah those eager thoughts unto the world. Because right now your uninformed unthoughtful answers are harmful. I just got a headache trying to figure out how the Isles could blow this draft. Unless you are a JT fanboy it is not possible, Islanders come out of this draft BIG WINNERS. Maybe it is my fault for seeing the topic title and going hmm interesting sounds like that would be a good discussion only to enter the thread and read Erasers unmotivated response. I should have seen that one coming, just saying Islanders is easy and takes few brain cells and little to no thought process.

My vote goes for Atlanta. I see them trading the 4th pick to Toronto & ending up with MPS at 7. Even if they stay put i prefer Schenn over Kane & the feeling around the league is they take Kane. If the Leafs fail to trade up and select Cowen they would be considered too.
Picking Tavares goes far deeper than just his talent. The Islanders could use the marketability, ticket sales and seats. The decision takes little to no brain cells because it's a simple answer with a realisitic possibility. It's no secret that Snow is strongly pondering Hedman.

I already think Snow screwed up when he took Bailey over Hodgson. Citing Milbury as not being GM is pretty irrelevant.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

buffalo

have they ever drafted well? maybe 2 drafts

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
SomE

I have a funny feeling about Ottawa and Edmonton. I think one of those teams will surprise us.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Your mom!

oh snap!!

But seriously I'll say Minnesota because I don't like their first round drafting
Wow, it's the _first_ round you don't like? Hate to see what you think of the later rounds.

I'd be with you if it weren't for the regime change. I think Fletcher will do a better job than the previous crew. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much to work with in terms of picks/assets.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingAv View Post
This is an easy question to answer. The loser will be the team which dared to select a player, or players, higher than said player's rankings according to ISS, CSB etc. I mean, who do these people think they are?? And the winner will be the team which selected one or more players much lower than their rankings according to ISS, CSB etc....

Edit: Just to make sure:

The Islanders, with all their picks, including first overall, will imo wind up as the winner of this draft. They can either use all picks on draftees or they can trade some of the picks (not #1, #31) for immediate help, either way, they will do good.

The loser: Ask me five years from now. Boring? Yeah, but that's how it is.
Thatīs how things work year in and year out. Wait for all the "Who made the biggest steal" threads and "Winners and Loosers". Thatīs life on this board this time of the year.

The Isles canīt blow this one up even if they take Duchene. If he pans out the way Toews did in Chicago Iīll be happy with this selection.

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Islander Strange View Post
How is that even possible? They have a ****** proof pick and a billion picks plus Millbury is not around. Isles could take Tavares, Hedman or Duchene and be the biggest winners of that draft.
How? It may look like the HF mod mock draft: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=650649

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...0&postcount=19

2009 has the potential to be a franchise changing draft because the Isles are set up very well with a plethora of high draft picks. I wasn't all too impressed with the Isles 2008 draft which rivaled 2009 in terms of depth and quality. I wish your team all the best, but I still got a weird gut feeling.

AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwenningerWildWing View Post
The Isles canīt blow this one up even if they take Duchene. If he pans out the way Toews did in Chicago Iīll be happy with this selection.
What if he turns out like Weiss in Florida?

Medicine Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingAv View Post
Had they hung on to him, do you think that the Coyotes would be looked upon as "losers" for taking Blake Wheeler with the 5th overall pick back in 2004? I'd say he's done pretty well.

Only problem for Phoenix is he's doing it with the Bruins.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:05 PM
kihei

vCash: 4743
Actually Toronto makes me nervous, especially if Burke chooses, say, to pass on MPS (if he's still around) to move down the draft to grab someone like Kassian.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
buffalo

have they ever drafted well? maybe 2 drafts
The hell? The Sabres have pulled 3 NHLers out of every draft since 2000, and that includes some pretty damn good players with later picks like Dennis Wideman, Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, and Jan Hejda.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Debbie. She did Dallas, so...blowing the draft should be a piece of cake.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
The hell? The Sabres have pulled 3 NHLers out of every draft since 2000, and that includes some pretty damn good players with later picks like Dennis Wideman, Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, and Jan Hejda.
Thanks -- I was looking for the sarcasm emoticon in that post... or the gin in my afternoon coffee. Sadly I found neither.

Buffalo has 10 regulars on their own squad that they've turned out since 2001, 4 other regulars for other teams (including Wideman and Hejda ) and have currently 12 more players signed for their AHL squad (and possibly 7 more who are RFA's this summer at the AHL level) and a prime stud prospect who has an inside track to be in their top 6 at the NHL level for next year. I'll take that sort problem any day of the week.

06-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Huge mistake for any of the first 27 teams on picking Moore.
Why do you say that? The scouts and recruiters (before he committed) that I've spoken with who has seen Moore has had nothing but great things to say about the kid.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
Wow, it's the _first_ round you don't like? Hate to see what you think of the later rounds.

I'd be with you if it weren't for the regime change. I think Fletcher will do a better job than the previous crew. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much to work with in terms of picks/assets.
Well I figured we were mainly talking about the first round here anyways

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Why do you say that? The scouts and recruiters (before he committed) that I've spoken with who has seen Moore has had nothing but great things to say about the kid.
He wants the Hawks (with the 28th selection) to pick him.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote