HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you want Gainey to do this UFA season? (Habs Trade/UFA/RFA proposals here)

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2008, 11:37 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonno93 View Post
(L) Tanguay, Alex ($5,375,000) (has NTC)
(C) Koivu, Saku ($4,750,000) (has NTC)
(R) Kovalev, Alexei ($4,500,000) (has NTC)
(C) Lang, Robert ($4,000,000)
(D) Komisarek, Michael ($1,900,000)
(D) Bouillon, Francis ($1,875,000)
(D) Dandenault, Mathieu ($1,750,000)
(C) Begin, Steve ($1,300,000)
(R) Kostopoulos, Tom ($900,000)
(D) Brisebois, Patrice ($750,000)
(C) Glumac, Mike ($550,000)
(C) Lehoux, Yanick ($550,000)
(D) Anderson, Chad ($500,000)
(L) Flinn, Ryan ($500,000)
(D) Henry, Alex ($500,000)

out of these which players do you keep and which do you get rid of
no matter the results of this year, Stanley cup or not, next year Im looking for even more youth added up front.. I would only resign Koivu for 1 or 2 years, I do everything to keep Komi, he is a key part of our young core, 5 millions would be fair IMO.. Then try to get Perezhogin back!

Old
12-10-2008, 10:01 AM
BadHabit

Quote:

Tanguay, 5.5M
Koivu, 5M
Kovalev, 4.75M
Lang, gone
Komi, 5M
Bouillon, 2M
Dandenault, gone
Begin, 1.25M
Kostopoulos, 1.25M
Brisebois, gone
Higgins, 2.5M
Plekanec, 2.5M
Chipchura, 1M
Latendresse, 1.5M

= 32.25M + 22.5M already signed gets us to 54.75M or 1.95M under the current cap. I think that would be a responsible number, and it lets us keep our core. The majority of these contracts would be short term.

Old
12-13-2008, 12:51 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Tanguay, 5.5M
Koivu, 5M
Kovalev, 4.75M
Lang, gone
Komi, 5M
Bouillon, 2M
Dandenault, gone
Begin, 1.25M
Kostopoulos, 1.25M
Brisebois, gone
Higgins, 2.5M
Plekanec, 2.5M
Chipchura, 1M
Latendresse, 1.5M

= 32.25M + 22.5M already signed gets us to 54.75M or 1.95M under the current cap. I think that would be a responsible number, and it lets us keep our core. The majority of these contracts would be short term.
I'd say :
Tanguay, 5.5M
Koivu, 4M
Kovalev, GONE
Lang, GONE
Komi, 4.25M
Bouillon, GONE
Dandenault, GONE
Begin, GONE
Kostopoulos, 1M
Brisebois, GONE
Higgins, 2.75M
Plekanec, 3.75M
Chipchura, 1M
Latendresse, 1.25M
Bouillon 1,500M

D'agostini, 0,900M

Next year's current cap number : 22,520,834M (see HockeyBuzz)
+ Next year's evaluated salaries : 25,900,000M
= : 48,420,834M

Lineup :

Tanguay - Koivu - D'Agostini
A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - S. Kostitsyn
Higgins - Chipchura - Latendresse
Kostopoulos - Lapierre - Stewart

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - UFA
Bouillon - Gorges

Price
Halak

We could pitch up to 5M for a great D-Man, let's say Ohlund
OR
Pitch 3,5M to a decent D-Man like Spacek, Kuba, Aucoin
Pitch 3,5M to a decent center/winger/forward like Kotalik,Kozlov, Sykora

So it could be :

Higgins - Chipchura - Latendresse

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Ohlund
Bouillon - Gorges

Price
Halak

for about 53,420,834M

OR

Higgins - Chipchura - Kozlov

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Aucoin
Bouillon - Gorges

Price
Halak

for about 54,170,834M (after trading Lats for a draft pick or a decent prospect)

Old
12-13-2008, 03:26 AM
NewHabsEra*

Kovalev gone
Tanguay gone
Lang gone
Begin gone
Dandeneault gone
Bouillon gone
Brisebois gone
Kosto gone

already signed:

A.Kost = 3.25M
M.DAgostini = 0.9M
G.Stewart = 0.6M
S.Kostitsyn = 0.585M
M.Lapierre = .8 M
Laraque = 1.5M
Gorges = 1 M
OByrne = 0.725M
Halak = 0.8M
Paccioretty = 1.5M
Markov = 5.75M
Hamrlik = 5.5M
Price = 2 millions? How much is he doing with the bonuses?

for 25.16 Millions

RFAs: (expectations, the max I can see them get)

Higgins 3.5M
Plekanec 4M
Chipchura 1.5M
Latendresse 2.5M

for 11.5 M

UFA's to resign: (expectation)

Koivu 5 M (1 or 2 years)
Komisarek 5 M (Multi year contract)

for 10 millions

total: 46.66 Millions for 12 fowards, 5 defensmen 2 goaltenders

(Cap hit) 55,635,301 - 47.56 = about 9 millions left

With that money, I would try to get Perezhogin back, I would negociate hard to make an offer he cant refuse.. 2.5-3 millions for 1 year, the time to know what he can do right now in the NHL, if he doesnt show anything more than what he has done for us in the past, then bye bye and good luck in the KHL again..On the other side, if his play improve during the season, that we see a more confident Perezhogin on the ice, getting better and better and being an important part of the team through the season, then you come back at the table to renegociate a new contract! Im one of those who think Perez could have a huge come back in the NHL, Im one of those who think this kid has a pretty high upside that he never reached before..

With the money left, sign another quality defenseman..

Perezhogin Koivu A.Kost

Latendresse Plekanec DAgostini

S.Kostitsyn Maxwell Max Pac

Lapierre Chipchura Stewart\Laraque

Markov Komi

Hamrlik UFA

Gorges OByrne

Price
Halak

Old
12-13-2008, 08:40 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Perezhogin Koivu A.Kost

Latendresse Plekanec DAgostini

S.Kostitsyn Maxwell Max Pac

Markov Komi

Hamrlik UFA

Gorges OByrne

Price
Halak
Are we in a rebuilding stage?

I mean this lineup looks awfull... We need at least one 1st line winger... if not Tanguay or Kovalev, someone else, but at least one...

Old
12-13-2008, 12:43 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

I mean this lineup looks awfull... We need at least one 1st line winger... if not Tanguay or Kovalev, someone else, but at least one...
To be honest, the ideal would be Hossa or Gaborik.

However, with our recent "success" with elite UFAs in the last few years, I'd resign Tanguay and fill the 3rd line wing/4th D-Man with the money left.

We're not going to resign any UFA that is better than Tanguay in the open market... Mark my words. None of them is going to come here. It's becoming old and it would be dumb to put all our eggs in the same basket for the 10000991245th time in a row.

Old
12-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Talent Analyst

IMO, Gainey will not sign Kovalev. Tanguay and Koivu will be sign, they are must.

Old
12-13-2008, 01:26 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
IMO, Gainey will not sign Kovalev. Tanguay and Koivu will be sign, they are must.
We'll see... But Kovalev remains a risky investment... he's getting older and has reccurent problems in his knee.

Old
12-13-2008, 02:03 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Higgins was missing to my line-up.. I think it will be easier for Carbo to work with hungry kids up front rather than having some lazzy vets with no leadership.. Some kids should naturally step up and play a bigger role on the team, take more space in the locker room.. Find me a vet foward that combine skills and real leadership and Im fine with that, otherwise I rather go with our kids to fight between each other for ice time.. Kovy plays when he wants, last year was the exception cause he had alot to prove, most of the times he plays without passion, looks uninspired and play out of the system.. You dont need guys like that on your team, personally I think he has a bad influence on this team and its alot deeper than people think.. Tanguay well, he is skilled no doubt but he is soft, I dont want to invest 4-5 millions on a guy like that, I would take him back if we had very few quality wingers in the system but its not the case.. We have guys like A.Kost, Higgins, Paccioretty, Dago, S.Kost, Latendresse and a wild card, someone that people already forgot but who could come back huge in this league, Perezhogin..

If you really want to add something that will make a difference up front, try to find a a big talended center with good work ethic habits and some leadership.. Since its barely impossible to find, just rely on the youth, lets them play and make their value increase, then you are in good posture to make a trade..

line-up with Higgins..

Perezhogin Koivu A.Kost

Latendresse\S.Kost Plekanec DAgo

Higgins Maxwell Paccioretty

I really dont think this is a bad line-up at all..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 12-13-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old
12-13-2008, 02:12 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Higgins was missing to my line-up.. I think it will be easier for Carbo to work with hungry kids up front rather than having some lazzy vets with no leadership..
Yeah, cause Plekanec, Sergei, Latendresse, Higgins and those kids sure look hungry this year.

Quote:
Some kids should naturally step up and play a bigger role on the team, take more space in the locker room.. Find me a vet foward that combine skills and real leadership and Im fine with that, otherwise I rather go with our kids to fight between each other for ice time..
Atlanta does as well. Look where they are in the standings.

Quote:
Kovy plays when he wants, last year was the exception cause he had alot to prove, most of the times he plays without passion, looks uninspired and play out of the system.. You dont need guys like that on your team, personally I think he has a bad influence on this team and its alot deeper than people think..
Didn't know you were in the locker room. Hell, the Habs are 6th in the league. It's clear that someone has a bad influence on the team...

Quote:
Tanguay well, he is skilled no doubt but he is soft, I dont want to invest 4-5 millions on a guy like that, I would take him back if we had very few quality wingers in the system but its not the case.. We have guys like A.Kost, Higgins, Paccioretty, Dago, S.Kost, Latendresse and a wild card, someone that people already forgot but who could come back huge in this league, Perezhogin..
Pacioretty is far from being NHL ready, Perezhogin plays in a league when hooking is not penalized half of the time, and Carbonneau and him don't want to know anything about each other. Tanguay is not the most physical player, no doubt about it, but in my mind, he's not playing soft. He gets his hands dirty a lot and is often battling in the corners to get the puck. Something you don't see the bothers, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Latendresse do very often.

Seriously, let the job to Gainey and stop saying nonsense like this. This is beyond stupid.

Old
12-13-2008, 02:17 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
Yeah, cause Plekanec, Sergei, Latendresse, Higgins and those kids sure look hungry this year.

Atlanta does as well. Look where they are in the standings.

Didn't know you were in the locker room. Hell, the Habs are 6th in the league. It's clear that someone has a bad influence on the team...

Pacioretty is far from being NHL ready, Perezhogin plays in a league when hooking is not penalized half of the time, and Carbonneau and him don't want to know anything about each other. Tanguay is not the most physical player, no doubt about it, but in my mind, he's not playing soft. He gets his hands dirty a lot and is often battling in the corners to get the puck. Something you don't see the bothers, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Latendresse do very often.

Seriously, let the job to Gainey and stop saying nonsense like this. This is beyond stupid.
This is a way better line-up than Atlanta, more comparable to the Sabre's one.. The difference is on D, where we are way better, if you add another offensive defenseman on the FA market, you have a pretty underrated team to start the season...

Old
12-13-2008, 02:32 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Humm... the Kostitsyns aren't shy of the physical play at all... espacially not Andrei...

Old
12-13-2008, 02:44 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Humm... the Kostitsyns aren't shy of the physical play at all... espacially not Andrei...
Sergei is just not mature enough physically, so at the moment we could definitely say he is soft.. He will be fine when adding a couple of pounds of meet..

Old
12-13-2008, 03:54 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
This is a way better line-up than Atlanta, more comparable to the Sabre's one.. The difference is on D, where we are way better, if you add another offensive defenseman on the FA market, you have a pretty underrated team to start the season...
There's no Pominville, Vanek or Roy in this lineup... don't fool yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules
Sorry, but since the Sauer hit, A.Kostitsyn is not even close to what he was bound to become physically wise. He hits, but definately has to make a bigger difference in the games against physical teams like Boston.

Sergei is not physical... Sorry but this year I have yet to see him throw the body.

Old
12-13-2008, 04:32 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
There's no Pominville, Vanek or Roy in this lineup... don't fool yourself...

I dont think Roy is playing better than Koivu this season.. A.Kost isnt at the level Vanek is yet, but not far behind.. If you want someone comparing a bit to Pomminville, Matt D'AGostini..

Old
12-13-2008, 05:04 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
I dont think Roy is playing better than Koivu this season.. A.Kost isnt at the level Vanek is yet, but not far behind.. If you want someone comparing a bit to Pomminville, Matt D'AGostini..

Vanek is likely going to be a 55 goal scorer this year. A. Kostitsyn is still way behind him.

Roy is going to improve and is much faster than Koivu.

And before comparing D'agostini to Pominville, let him play more than 6 games, please.

Old
12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Vanek is likely going to be a 55 goal scorer this year. A. Kostitsyn is still way behind him.

Roy is going to improve and is much faster than Koivu.

And before comparing D'agostini to Pominville, let him play more than 6 games, please.
Maybe if Carbo hadnt put him with Kovy for so long, his stats would look better on the board, dont you think?

Old
12-13-2008, 09:03 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Maybe if Carbo hadnt put him with Kovy for so long, his stats would look better on the board, dont you think?
Still... don't compare him to Vanek!

Old
12-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Miller Time

My moves for next summer...

trade Latendresse either at the deadline or leading up to the draft for picks/prospects.
He's still young and has potential, but it's hard to see where he fits in the teams roster in the near future, and without the ability to send him down to the AHL to develop his top 6 game, i don't think we have the room (cap or roster wise) to continue waiting for him.

let kovalev sign elsewhere... barring a conn smyth type finish to the year, I just don't see the value in re-signing him. to streaky, to hard to find linemates for, not worth the salary some team is bound to offer him.

Re-sign:
- Tanguay: 2-4 years @ 4.5M/per. With his production/play this season and last(58 points in CGY, on pace for 60 this year), I don't see that he would be in a position to get the same $$ he got on his last contract, which he signed while being a 75-80 point guy. If he wants more, than he can get it elsewhere.

- Koivu: 3-5 years @ 4M/per (cap hit, $ starting higher and escalating downward), similar deal to the one Alfredsson signed, but for a bit less. If he really wants more, than I'd go higher but only on a 1, maximum 2 year deal. If he wants to retire a Hab, and see the team be competitive throughout his last few years, I think he'll take the pay cut... maybe @ even under 4m

- Komi: 4-6 years @ 4.25M/per. Would make him the highest paid defensive Dman in the league, compensating for the intangibles (leadership, grit) that offset his minimal offensive contributions. Don't really see how he and his agent could argue for much more than that... The Regher's and Phillips's, of the world all make less than that.

- Kostopoulos: 1-3 years @ 900k/per. Plays with the intensity and desire that is a valuable commodity for the roster, both on the ice and in the locker room/influence on younger players.
Don't see him getting a much bigger offer elsewhere, and success/his role with the team hopefully will be enough to convince him to stay.

- Higgins & Plekanec: 2 years @ 2.25/per. Both of the struggling this year works out in the teams favor come the summer... barring a major turnaround that would see them surpass last year's production, I can't see them being able to demand much more. They may want just 1 year deals, which would hurt since they'd be UFA's come 10/11, but neither guy has shown enough to warrant a substantial raise from their current salary over 3-4 years... the progression of some of the young guys behind them puts the team in a situation where if they were to receive an offer sheet for much more than the habs are offering, we could settle for the pick compensation and move on (that is if they weren't traded before hand should Gainey be sure they won't play ball)

UFA's:

- Hossa: 4-6 years @ 8M/per. Gainey went after him hard last year, and his play this year (and throughout his career) more than justifies the kind of long term deal Gainey likely had ready for him. The unknown economic future would be the only hesitation, but in the end, the league can't afford for all of the franchises at/near the cap to be unable to ice a full team should the cap need to take a drastic hit... i think that the next CBA will deal with those issues in a way that doesn't totally punish teams should a new cap be pegged at a much lower number. Hossa is the kind of superstar we've been waiting for, and at 29 he's still in the middle of his prime years, with no major injury problems so far. Detroit won't be able to re-sign him and Zetterberg imo.

- Burrows: 2-4 years @ 2M/per. Local boy who plays exactly the kind of game that we desperately need on our third line. Vancouver has some cap decisions to make, and in the end I think/hope that the habs offer will either be more than the nucks, or will be close enough that he decides to come play back east. He'd give us what dandenault should have been the past 3 years.

- Boucher: 1-2 years @ 1.5M/per (similar deal to Brisebois). Experienced RH dman with size and ability to play the PP... basically a much, much better upgrade on what we signed Brisebois to do. He isn't the player he was, but he's still playing 20+ minutes a game in Pitt this year, and would be solid depth addition to our Defense. Yes, I do think the local ties (plus his age and career/family situation) make him an ideal target and likely a guy that might take less than he's offered elsewhere.

Tanguay(4.5)- Koivu(4)- Hossa(8)
Kost jr(800K)- Pleks(2.25)- Kost(3.25)
Burrows(2)- Chip(1)- Higgins(2.25)
Laraque(1.5)- Lapierre(800K)- Kosto(900K)
D'ago(900K), Stewart(600K), Maxwell(?)

Markov(5.75)- Komi(4.25)
Hamrlik(5.5)- O'byrne(950K)
Gorges(1.1)- Boucher (1.5)
Weber(?), Carle(?), Emelin(?)

Price(2.2)
Halak(.775)

total= 53.235 Million for 20 roster players (12F, 6D, 2G).
add another ~2M for 3 extra roster players (stewart, d'ago, 1 young dman)

55.235 million, roughly the same as this year.

Old
12-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Miller Time

trade Latendresse either at the deadline or leading up to the draft for picks/prospects.
He's still young and has potential, but it's hard to see where he fits in the teams roster in the near future, and without the ability to send him down to the AHL to develop his top 6 game, i don't think we have the room (cap or roster wise) to continue waiting for him.

let kovalev sign elsewhere... barring a conn smyth type finish to the year, I just don't see the value in re-signing him. too streaky, too hard to find linemates for, not worth the salary some team is bound to offer him.

Re-sign:
- Tanguay: 2-4 years @ 4.5M/per. With his production/play this season and last(58 points in CGY, on pace for 60 this year), I don't see that he would be in a position to get the same $$ he got on his last contract, which he signed while being a 75-80 point guy. If he wants more, then he can get it elsewhere.

- Koivu: 3-5 years @ 4M/per (4m cap hit, the $ starting higher and escalating downward), similar deal to the one Alfredsson signed, but for a bit less. If he really wants more, than I'd go higher but only on a 1, maximum 2 year deal. If he wants to retire a Hab, and see the team be competitive throughout his last few years, I think he'll take the pay cut... maybe @ even under 4m

- Komi: 4-6 years @ 4.25M/per. Would make him the highest paid defensive Dman in the league, compensating for the intangibles (leadership, grit) that offset his minimal offensive contributions. Don't really see how he and his agent could argue for much more than that... The Regher's and Phillips's, of the world all make less than that.

- Kostopoulos: 1-3 years @ 900k/per. Plays with the intensity and desire that is a valuable commodity for the roster, both on the ice and in the locker room/influence on younger players.
Don't see him getting a much bigger offer elsewhere, and success/his role with the team hopefully will be enough to convince him to stay.

- Higgins & Plekanec: 2 years @ 2.25/per. Both of them struggling this year works out in the teams favor come the summer... barring a major turnaround that would see them surpass last year's production, I can't see them being able to demand much more. They may want just 1 year deals, which would hurt since they'd be UFA's come 10/11, but neither guy has shown enough to warrant a substantial raise from their current salary, especially not for a 3-4 year deal... the progression of some of the young guys behind them puts the team in a situation where if they were to receive an offer sheet for much more than the habs are offering, we could settle for the pick compensation and move on (that is if they weren't traded before hand should Gainey be sure they won't play ball)

UFA's:

- Hossa: 4-6 years @ 8M/per. Gainey went after him hard last year, and his play this year (and throughout his career) more than justifies the kind of long term deal Gainey likely had ready for him. The unknown economic future would be the only hesitation, but in the end, the league can't afford for all of the franchises at/near the cap to be unable to ice a full team should the cap need to take a drastic hit... i think that the next CBA will deal with those issues in a way that doesn't totally punish teams should a new cap be pegged at a much lower number. Hossa is the kind of superstar we've been waiting for, and at 29 he's still in the middle of his prime years, with no major injury problems so far. Detroit won't be able to re-sign him and Zetterberg, and he'd be the one to leave imo.

- Burrows: 2-4 years @ 2M/per. Local boy who plays exactly the kind of game that we desperately need on our third line. Vancouver has some cap decisions to make, and in the end I think/hope that the habs offer will either be more than the nucks, or will be close enough that he decides to come play back east. He'd give us what dandenault should have been the past 3 years.

- Boucher: 1-2 years @ 1.5M/per (similar deal to Brisebois). Experienced RH dman with size and ability to play the PP... basically a much, much better upgrade on what we signed Brisebois to do. He isn't the player he was, but he's still playing 20+ minutes a game in Pitt this year, and would be solid depth addition to our Defense. Yes, I do think the local ties (plus his age and career/family situation) make him an ideal target and likely a guy that might take less than he's offered elsewhere.

Markov(5.75)- Komi(4.25)

Price(2.2)
Halak(.775)

Last edited by Miller Time: 12-15-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old
12-27-2008, 02:25 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Do we have any insight at all on Koivu's intentions upon his UFA status?

Back in MTL? For how long?

Basically, Koivu has to stay until Maxwell is NHL ready - which won't be before the 2010-11 season. I really feel a lot of pressure and expectations are put on Maxwell. If he fails to fill the void at center we won't be in good shape since we do not have proper depth to center our top two lines.

Would Koivu accept a 2 year/4.5 cap hit?

Old
12-27-2008, 09:21 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

let kovalev sign elsewhere... barring a conn smyth type finish to the year, I just don't see the value in re-signing him. to streaky, to hard to find linemates for, not worth the salary some team is bound to offer him.

Re-sign:
- Tanguay: 2-4 years @ 4.5M/per. With his production/play this season and last(58 points in CGY, on pace for 60 this year), I don't see that he would be in a position to get the same $$ he got on his last contract, which he signed while being a 75-80 point guy. If he wants more, than he can get it elsewhere.

- Koivu: 3-5 years @ 4M/per (cap hit, $ starting higher and escalating downward), similar deal to the one Alfredsson signed, but for a bit less. If he really wants more, than I'd go higher but only on a 1, maximum 2 year deal. If he wants to retire a Hab, and see the team be competitive throughout his last few years, I think he'll take the pay cut... maybe @ even under 4m

- Higgins & Plekanec: 2 years @ 2.25/per. Both of the struggling this year works out in the teams favor come the summer... barring a major turnaround that would see them surpass last year's production, I can't see them being able to demand much more. They may want just 1 year deals, which would hurt since they'd be UFA's come 10/11, but neither guy has shown enough to warrant a substantial raise from their current salary over 3-4 years... the progression of some of the young guys behind them puts the team in a situation where if they were to receive an offer sheet for much more than the habs are offering, we could settle for the pick compensation and move on (that is if they weren't traded before hand should Gainey be sure they won't play ball)

UFA's:

- Hossa: 4-6 years @ 8M/per. Gainey went after him hard last year, and his play this year (and throughout his career) more than justifies the kind of long term deal Gainey likely had ready for him. The unknown economic future would be the only hesitation, but in the end, the league can't afford for all of the franchises at/near the cap to be unable to ice a full team should the cap need to take a drastic hit... i think that the next CBA will deal with those issues in a way that doesn't totally punish teams should a new cap be pegged at a much lower number. Hossa is the kind of superstar we've been waiting for, and at 29 he's still in the middle of his prime years, with no major injury problems so far. Detroit won't be able to re-sign him and Zetterberg imo.

Markov(5.75)- Komi(4.25)

Price(2.2)
Halak(.775)

Lapierre and Burrows on the same line = me having an orgasm

Old
01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Tired of having new threads on the matter pop up every second day.

Post your thoughts/estimations/comments on the subject right here.
Sorry, I just saw this sticky, so I am putting up here the same thoughts that were incorrectly put into a regular thread yesterday.

I am prepared to drop

Lang
Bouillon
Brisebois
Dandenault

and the cap hits from Cullimore and Salmalainen automatically go away.

First things first, I sit down with loyal Kaptain Koivu and award him his probable last contract, signed before he is 35 years of age . It is for FIVE years, with declining salaries of 4.0M, 3.0M, 2.0M, 1.5M, 1.0M. The Cap Hit is $2.3M per year. If he retires before the contract is over, the cap hit ceases, and the club "gained" the cap savings from front-loading.

Then, I go to Assistant Captain Alexei Kovalev, and tell him that he has a place in Montreal for as long as he wants until he retires, after which we will give him a job of some kind if he wants it. We will mutually agree to salary 1 year at a time. For 2009-2010, I would sign him again for $4.0M.

Next up - Alex Tanguay. I tell him that despite average production, we are happy with his attitude and want to have him back but at a lower cap hit than this year: $4.0M per year for 4 or 5 years. Thus, we lock up a local talent for a while into his early thirties.

I negotiate with Mike Komisarek and sign him to a four year contract worth $16M. I think he takes this option, given the possibility of a declining cap, over my other tendered offer of 2 years for $9.5M.

I go to Chris Higgins and Tomas Plekanec and tell them that while they had disappointing seasons, we want them back and don't want to lock them into a long-term contract at a time when they have little bargaining power. I sign them to one year deals at the qualifying offer level (this year salary plus 5%) and they get a chance at a big payday as UFAs next year......if they earn it!

Guillaume Latendresse and Matt d'Agostini get their "second contracts". Latendresse gets what Josh Gorges got last year, and d'Agostini gets what Max Lapierre got last year.

Since he will be waiver-eligible next year, I re-sign RFA Gregory Stewart to a one-way deal at $500K, and he accepts this over the two-way arrangement that comes with a qualifying offer. Sergei Kostitsyn and Stewart will be the two spare forwards next year. There is not much left to learn in the AHL for them and I don't want to lose them on waivers. I would take my chances with Chipchura or trade him for a new draft pick a la Grabovski.

I offer Tom Kostopoulos another two-year deal with a $100K raise. He accepts because he feels happy here knowing we value him and won't kick him up and down between AHL and NHL like some clubs might.

We have one forward too many. I correct a mistake and buy out Georges Laraque after he demonstrates that he is unable or unwilling to get himself in better shape. This mistake costs us $500k of cap space annually for the next four years.

On defence, Ryan O'Byrne returns as our 7th defeneceman. That is a good thing, since he is now waiver-eligible and I don't want to lose him.

For a sixth defenceman, I pass on Patrice Brisebois this time. I ask Mathieu Schneider if he would consider finishing out his days with the club at a $1.5M salary and $1.5M annually in bonuses. I offer him two years to show some commitment. I do this because I want Mathieu Carle, PK Subban and Yannick Weber to learn more playing in the AHL instead of sitting in the pressbox in Montreal. Carle would be the injury callup, having the most experience of the three. If Schneider had turned me down, I would have gone and picked up a cheap vet on the open market.

Assuming the cap stays the same at $56.7M for next year, this leaves us with $8.721M Cap Space available.

What to do with so much money?? And aren't we missing a defenceman? AHA!!

I sign 25 year old Jay Bouwmeester to a four-year deal worth $6.721M per year. This ties up quite a bit of money on defence for the next two years, until Hamrlik's contract expires, but I believe that a team is built from the net outwards. And it's not like we have no firepower. The only key player we lost up front was Robert Lang, who will probably never be the same. Meanwhile, the upgrades on defence will make us a much stronger team.

And we STILL have around $2.0M left on the salary cap, for injury replacements or deadline deals.

Lineup:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins- Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
Tanguay - Lapierre - D'Agostini
Latendresse - Metropolit - Kostopolous
....S. Kostitsyn, Stewart

Markov - Schneider
Hamrlik - Bouwmeester
Gorges - Komisarek
....O'Byrne

Price
Halak

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 03-08-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old
03-19-2009, 10:57 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:

If we can sell the hometown discount:
Tanguay (4.75 for four years)
Koivu (3.75 mil for two years)
Komisarek (3.5 for four years)

To make sure the kids get to play safe:
Glumac (750 for two year)
Flinn (650 for two years)
Henry (550 for two years)

The rest can go.

Old
03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Habruti!

How about trading for Briere? The flyers are apparently desparate to shed some salary, they are committed for 53M and this is without Knuble, and the goalies plus they are apparently in need of top end Dmen ...

This would be dealing from a position of strength .. You trade for Briere only if Giroux comes with him.... Pleks and Halak for Briere, Giroux and I would be willing to add a pick.

This would give us Briere, Giroux, Lapierre as our top three centers. Or if we sign Koivu as well Giroux is capable of playing RW. This would give us a young center for the future and a guy that can last few years. 6M for Briere is steep but you can see this as only 1.5 above Saku.

Just an idea not a rumor...

Closed Thread