HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with Ball hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
  #1
Kencaid
Registered User
 
Kencaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Help with Ball hockey

hey guys,
We have started a little ball hockey thing at work on weekends, however we are trying to figure out the best option for a ball to use. We bought some cheap ones from canadian tire, but they are far to bouncy. There is also the option of the orange ball with liquid inside, but the worry is it might be to hard.

We are playing in a local arena that has been drained for the summer. It has a very smooth concrete surface, so I think even a rolling puck would work (if we could get one that didnt suck)

Any suggestions on a ball/puck to use?

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
  #2
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
I always liked the harder Mylec balls. There are soft ones but they're kind of rubbery so a lot of times it sticks to your blade and when you're trying to stick handle with it, your stick will ride up and go over it and it'll just stop. The harder ones obviously hurt more but you can do just about anything with them. Although I do suggest the softer ones in cold weather. I used to always play with the hard mylec ones all year round and just about every other game when we played in the winter, the ball would shatter off hard shots.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 04:13 PM
  #3
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
Man, I haven't played ball hockey in ages. Like 10 years probably. I always liked using the harder balls. They hurt like a mofo if you got hit, but they were so much easier to stickhandle that it was well worth it.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 04:14 PM
  #4
BigBadBread
Shi Shi Shawww
 
BigBadBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 856
vCash: 500
The harder balls are the way to go. Makes for a much faster game.

BigBadBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 04:35 PM
  #5
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
It is definitely a lot of fun playing with your balls.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
  #6
Trigger96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
you're worried about how hard the balls are but you're thinking of playing with a puck?

lol...

Trigger96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:26 PM
  #7
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencaid View Post
hey guys,
We have started a little ball hockey thing at work on weekends, however we are trying to figure out the best option for a ball to use. We bought some cheap ones from canadian tire, but they are far to bouncy. There is also the option of the orange ball with liquid inside, but the worry is it might be to hard.

We are playing in a local arena that has been drained for the summer. It has a very smooth concrete surface, so I think even a rolling puck would work (if we could get one that didnt suck)

Any suggestions on a ball/puck to use?
I saw a guy shooting some of these in a youtube video and they looked like good pucks to use on hard smooth surfaces. Roller hockey puck I guess ....

If you get a red x click the link for the jpeg

http://www.hockeydogs.com/ProductIma...DS%20Black.jpg



I don't know what these go for each or where to buy 'em but I'm sure someone will will leave a couple of links that use them already.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:44 PM
  #8
towel_power88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burnaby BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I saw a guy shooting some of these in a youtube video and they looked like good pucks to use on hard smooth surfaces. Roller hockey puck I guess ....

If you get a red x click the link for the jpeg

http://www.hockeydogs.com/ProductIma...DS%20Black.jpg



I don't know what these go for each or where to buy 'em but I'm sure someone will will leave a couple of links that use them already.
these are great pucks we use them in our roller hockey league, good weight to them and feel good on your stick.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/IDS_P...age-IDSP.html#

towel_power88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:43 PM
  #9
dirtydevs9
Registered User
 
dirtydevs9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Quote:
Originally Posted by towel_power88 View Post
these are great pucks we use them in our roller hockey league, good weight to them and feel good on your stick.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/IDS_P...age-IDSP.html#
Who doesn't use those?

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:56 PM
  #10
Smif
Registered User
 
Smif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencaid View Post
hey guys,
We have started a little ball hockey thing at work on weekends, however we are trying to figure out the best option for a ball to use. We bought some cheap ones from canadian tire, but they are far to bouncy. There is also the option of the orange ball with liquid inside, but the worry is it might be to hard.

We are playing in a local arena that has been drained for the summer. It has a very smooth concrete surface, so I think even a rolling puck would work (if we could get one that didnt suck)

Any suggestions on a ball/puck to use?
Those pucks will kill if you get hit by one. The orange balls are the way to go, they sting for a minute but nothing like a puck would.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:10 AM
  #11
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Definitely do not use a roller puck if you're worried about a hard ball. You will destroy your legs.
The balls with the liquid are the best. They hardly bounce and have a good weight to them. They don't really hurt all that much. Maybe a stinger if you get one from a slap shot on bare skin, but it's not so bad. "Z-ball" or "G-force" are common names I've seen for them. Stock up on them. When I played street hockey this was the only kind of ball we would use.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:46 AM
  #12
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Well he did ask about a rolling puck didn't he and asked for one that didn't suck.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:03 AM
  #13
NCPokey
Registered User
 
NCPokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Just use a Z ball and wear some soccer shin guards and a cup. As long as you protect your junk, a couple of welts won't be a big deal.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:41 AM
  #14
dirtydevs9
Registered User
 
dirtydevs9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Go with the Mylec hard street hockey balls, it's pink I think.
A lot of the times I find my stick rolling over the orange ball when I try to take a shot, and the feel just isn't there. The Mylec ball is great for stickhandling, it has a truer shot and the game will be a lot more fun and fast.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:30 PM
  #15
Penguins23
Le Magnifique
 
Penguins23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton,NewBrunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,313
vCash: 50
I'm in a few ball hockey leagues and we use the balls with the gel in them. Those are the ones that they use in national tournaments and international tournaments.


Just wear shin pads and you'll be fine. It makes for a much better game.

Penguins23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:26 AM
  #16
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydevs9 View Post
Go with the Mylec hard street hockey balls, it's pink I think.
A lot of the times I find my stick rolling over the orange ball when I try to take a shot, and the feel just isn't there. The Mylec ball is great for stickhandling, it has a truer shot and the game will be a lot more fun and fast.
It really depends on the weather. Mylec balls are color coded as follows:

Pink: cold weather (below 60 F)
Orange: warm weather
Red: hot weather (above 75 F)

Believe me it makes a difference. Playing with a pink ball in the heat will feel like playing with a wad of duct tape. Playing with a red ball in the cold and you might as well be playing with a ping pong ball.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:23 AM
  #17
wearethegreek
Registered User
 
wearethegreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
It really depends on the weather. Mylec balls are color coded as follows:

Pink: cold weather (below 60 F)
Orange: warm weather
Red: hot weather (above 75 F)

Believe me it makes a difference. Playing with a pink ball in the heat will feel like playing with a wad of duct tape. Playing with a red ball in the cold and you might as well be playing with a ping pong ball.
This.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
  #18
Jeffler
See You At Game 3
 
Jeffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,741
vCash: 500
Crazy as it sounds, try the glow in the dark one Canadian tire has. They aren't as bouncy, AND they're softer. Best of both worlds on the bounce and pain front.

__________________
"Never has such an unaccomplished person yapped as much as (Jeffler) does."
Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:38 AM
  #19
Salzig
I am laudable.
 
Salzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bonn, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
It really depends on the weather. Mylec balls are color coded as follows:

Pink: cold weather (below 60 F)
Orange: warm weather
Red: hot weather (above 75 F)

Believe me it makes a difference. Playing with a pink ball in the heat will feel like playing with a wad of duct tape. Playing with a red ball in the cold and you might as well be playing with a ping pong ball.
That's true. I used an orange ball and it was below 0C. After I shot the ball twice against a wall it just broke.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
  #20
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
If you guys are playing in the parking lot, just buy some dollar store tennis balls. They're bouncy, but they don't bounce quite as much as *good* tennis balls.

Besides, you can pull off some pretty slick moves if you learn how to dribble the tennis ball like a basketball using your hockey stick!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
  #21
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
If you guys are playing in the parking lot, just buy some dollar store tennis balls. They're bouncy, but they don't bounce quite as much as *good* tennis balls.

Besides, you can pull off some pretty slick moves if you learn how to dribble the tennis ball like a basketball using your hockey stick!
Do not use a tennis ball unless you are playing with a racquet

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:55 AM
  #22
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,973
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Do not use a tennis ball unless you are playing with a racquet
Tell that to my little brother. He has spent hours a day working on his dekes and snap shot in our basement, using a tennis ball.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:09 AM
  #23
DJ Kariyaaa
Downie Fan Club
 
DJ Kariyaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
I've found that the Mylec balls work well, but go according to the appropriate color. It took us a while to figure out what the colors meant, so we broke countless orange balls in the cold weather. Also, there is no shame in using a glove to shield your junk when someone is teeing up a slapper.. so hardness of the puck or ball should not be an issue

DJ Kariyaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.