HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Burke on OTR says Isles leaning towards Duchene

Old
06-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500

lol

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralRonin View Post
Someone needs to book Burke on Dancing with the Stars already. Probably won't get the media whoring out of his system but maybe it'll keep it under control...

LOL.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I have a theory that the Islanders are leaking Duchene so when they pick Hedman the fanbase will be relieved
thats exactly what i was thinking

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

lol

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Amputechture

Why does Burke feel the need to discuss whoother teams might be picking? I haven't seen the interview and I am sure Landsberg probably asked him about the Isles first, but still, have some tact and redirect the question. He's just trying to stir **** up with this response. He always has his nose in things that dont involve him. Maybe he should focus on his own teams needs and what they will be doing.

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Amputechture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
Burke is the man, anyone who does not appreciate his candidness and ability to entertain is ignorant of the great impact he has on the marketability of hockey.
Burke is a lawyer, this is all he is. He takes news, spins it, manipulates it, and spits it back out. Burke is all about games and using the media to spin his webs. You can call it candidness all you want, but the fact is, he just plays mind games. Everything the man says is calculated and with purpose. He is stirring the pot. With that being said, he has no tact and works solely for his own agenda and will step on other to do it. I don't respect people like that. I guess that's the lawyer in him.

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:57 PM
NoThreat

How does no one understand that saying they will take Duchene hurts Burke's cause. He wants to trade up to 1 or 2 or 3. If he can't get 1 and the teams at 2 and 3 think the Isles are taking Duchene and will get either Hedman or Tavares, that makes the price of those picks even higher.

If anything this hurts Burke, I don't think he has anything to gain from this.

NoThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
How does no one understand that saying they will take Duchene hurts Burke's cause. He wants to trade up to 1 or 2 or 3. If he can't get 1 and the teams at 2 and 3 think the Isles are taking Duchene and will get either Hedman or Tavares, that makes the price of those picks even higher.

If anything this hurts Burke, I don't think he has anything to gain from this.
That's exactly one of the reasons why the Isles would be smokescreening this, if they actually are.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Wilma

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I have a theory that the Islanders are leaking Duchene so when they pick Hedman the fanbase will be relieved
hahaha

Wilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
BillyWilliams

Who cares what Burke is saying. Whether he has a reason for it or not is ridiculous to assume. It's not his fault TSN and every media outlet creams themselves everytime he clears his throat. He's being himself, his candidness is entertaining. If Bob Gainey ever broke from his monotone, who knows maybe he'd get some coverage to. But to whine and bicker about what he is saying is a little over the top.

BillyWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Make that "a few" of you guys.

I'm an Islander fan. And I've shared your opinion about some NYI fans for years.

When you want to run the likes of Trevor Lindeen, Mike Peca and Ryan Smyth out of town (the latter for having "the nerve" to sign elsewhere ), yet defend Alexei Yashin, you deserve the drek teams you get.

And now this blather.

The opinion that JT is the superior pick is more than fair. However, the extreme baseless degrading of Duchene's game is intellectually dishonest. And so removed from the commentary of many in the game, as to be farcical.
Trottier, I respect your opinion, and I have to say you are right once again.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Trottier, I respect your opinion, and I have to say you are right once again.
Trottier is right. but what he implies that bothers me is that the fans who want Tavares or Hedman think poorly of Duchene.

No one thinks poorly of Duchene. We just think the other 2 are superior prospects & the Isles should go with them instead.

look back to whatever year it was when Modano was drafted #1. Trevor Linden was the 2nd ranked prospect that year & he went 2nd. Would the North Stars have gotten a bad player if they went with Linden instead? Hell no. They would have gotten a great player. One of the really good players of his era. But that wouldn't mean the North Stars wouldn't have made the wrong pick if they went with Linden.

It is very very possible that Duchene turns out to be the best player to come out of this draft. Hell it's possible that Evander Kane or someone we aren't even talking about like Magnus P.S. or even someone ranked in the 2nd 3rd or 4th rounds turns out to be the best. It's always a crapshoot with 18 year old kids. I just feel there's a reason JT & VH have been 1 & 1A for so long and it wasn't until very recently that Duchene even entered the conversation.

JT can be a bust just like Peter Lee (former career OHL scoring leader) was. JT can never have any impact in the NHL. But the same can be said for every prospect ever drafted and that includes the all time greats.

I just think the Islanders are opening themselves up for years of second guessing if they go with Duchene. Not to mention the fact that if you draft Duchene 1st, you put a world of added pressure on him to live up to the selection. JT & VH have been expecting to go #1 for years now. So they can probably handle it. Duchene only burst onto the scene this season.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
Burke is the Sith Lord and Snow is just a dumb Storm Trooper. This is just a mind trick. He's only got, what, 7 other GM's to perform this one for it to work?
That's what I was thinking too...
Except he only needs it to work on the Isles. They pass on Johnny T and Tampa flips the pick to T.O., in Burke's scenario. If this is really how it's working, you'd have to think he's confident in his ability to trade up with the Bolts.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:33 PM
BillyWilliams

Burke won't get played by rooks like the Slush man and the bust of all busts, Brian Lawton

BillyWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:35 PM
darty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
OP, did you actually watch the episode of OTR or are you just going with what you read/have heard?

Cause if you actually did watch you are clearly spinning Burkes words.

Burke said in response to Landsbergs question "If the Ilander keep the pick, who do you think they will take?"

Burkes says "Well i was thinking until recently that they were leaning towards Hedman, but just recently it is coming to light that they are looking at a forward, whether it be tavares or duchene, i, ugh, im thinking duchene"

Where is there does it Burke say "The Islanders will select Matt Duchene, Garth Snow told me so"?
This.

It was just what he would guess, people.
There'll be plenty of other opportunities to find fault in the man, but this particular instance it is you who play the fool.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:37 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post
Ah, so you want the leaf Pokemon Duchene?

Ah, so you want the fire Pokemon Hedman?

Ah, so you want the water Pokemon Tavares?
Tavares should be fire, Hedman water. Because you know if you pick fire, then your rival is bound to pick the water to shut you down.

SoCalSharkzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:40 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
JT is not BAP
The number 1 pick will be the BPA. And it will be JT, no matter what Leaf fans or Burke think. How would Burke know which was the Isles are leaning? Maybe he has a mole or more specifically wishes he had a mole.

The Isles need butts in the seat and more importantly, offense. JT will deliver both. Garth and Co. would be nuts to not draft JT. I would venture a guess that Isle fans would riot if JT isn't picked 1st.

SaintRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
kmillzy5

nope. . not buyin it. . nope .

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Otto91

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
The fact that Burke took this information to the press is exactly why Garth Snow wouldn't have given him an honest answer in the first place.

It's entirely possible that the Isles are planning to take Duchene, but even if they are there's no incentive for the Isles to tell that to Burke. In all likelihood this is a case of a GM posturing to make it easier for himself to move his pick.

I have said before I believe Snow has both Duchene and Hedman ranked before JT

If The Isles are planning To pick Duchene I am sure they could move to #3 to do so and pick up a 2nd rd pick from the Avs in the process.

Sorry I still want Hedman...but in the end we will be fine with any of the top 3.

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Trottier is right. but what he implies that bothers me is that the fans who want Tavares or Hedman think poorly of Duchene.

No one thinks poorly of Duchene. We just think the other 2 are superior prospects & the Isles should go with them instead.
I can only based my comments upon the words of others. For that is all we have here on this medium: words.

I have no issue with anyone thinking poorly of Duchene. That is opinion, misinformed as it may be. Nor do I take issue with someone feeling strongly that JT is clearly the BPA at #1. (Why should I? And frankly, who the hell am I to tell someone else what to think?)

I do, however, remain puzzled with the extreme pronouncements of some. How it would be a "travesty", "terrible", and, of course, "embarassing" to all Islander fans should JT not be the choice...or if Duchene is.

That is not simply thinking that there are "superior choices".

That is melodrama. Baseless.

And in my opinion as an NYI fan - sorry - somewhat embarassing.

But to each his own....

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:00 PM
eric71*

Burke loves ****ing with peoples head doesnt he...just look what he's doing to all you guys

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:06 PM
TMLeafer

He said "I think they're leaning towards Duchene". Not "Snow told me he's going to take Duchene." He was asked for his opinion. Yes, some people would've "redirected" the question, but everyone knows Burke will say what's on his mind and he did. He didn't bring up the issue saying 'Hey Landsberg! Wanna' know who the Isles are picking?" He was asked to predict by Landsberg and he said he thinks they're leaning towards Duchene and that they'll almost surely take a forward.

I'm not saying Burke is not a big mouth and could benefit from shutting up at times, but some people here would throw hissy fits if Burke walks onto the stage with his left foot instead of right or has his tie loosened at a bar.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
well if snow picks Duchene then I will have lost all faith in Garth Snow.

He's been doing such a good job with this rebuild so far, but to pick Duchene is assinine. I can understand picking Hedman over Tavares, but I can not justify picking Duchene over both Tavares & Hedman.

May not be as far-fetched as some may believe.
Big props to Snow if he does it because I think in a few years MD will be the better than JT.

MD = Steve Yzerman
JT = Dave Andreychuk
(Comparisons made by watching the players through their junior and NHL careers and not by press clippings)

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 06-25-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I see what you did there...

Exactly. Isles take JT, Bolts take Hedman and VL is NOT traded.
or the Bolts trade Vinnie to the Isle for the No1 pick and the Bolts gets the first 2 picks!

or Lawton trades up to get the No.1 and drafts himself!

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 06-25-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:41 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
I have said before I believe Snow has both Duchene and Hedman ranked before JT

If The Isles are planning To pick Duchene I am sure they could move to #3 to do so and pick up a 2nd rd pick from the Avs in the process.

Sorry I still want Hedman...but in the end we will be fine with any of the top 3.
Doesnt make sense for the Avs to give up extra assets to move up from 3. They'll just pick whoever is left of the 3 and walk away very happy.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote