HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Draft Day Is Here!!!!

Old
06-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Wow. What a huge day. We killed this draft. I haven't been this excited with the draft haul since 2003.

06-27-2009, 05:00 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
Still, Nashville needs to trade for a quality forward with all these d-men.
You're clearly not familiar with how our organization sits on its defense prospects till the end of time operates...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Lucky Luke

Gabriel Bourque is tough as nails. Great pick.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:02 PM
CritZ

Roussel is the total package, made for the new NHL, mobile, can chip in offensively and loves the physical aspect of the game. Great pick.

CritZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:05 PM
CritZ

He is a blend of Dion Phaneuf, François Beauchemin and Kris Letang.

Old
06-27-2009, 06:29 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Latta was my favourite player with the 67s before he got traded.

I always thought he looked like a poor mans Mike Richards

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:25 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkyDishwashr View Post
I always thought he looked like a poor mans Mike Richards
... which makes him exactly like Nick Spaling (who I compared him to earlier). I like that pick, and think he'll be a big-time fan favorite in Nashville if/when he gets to the big show.

Our center and right wing prospect pools look great right now. Defense looks okay, but could still use another couple of 2nd or 3rd round defenders. Another goaltender would be nice. Our biggest weakness, though, is on the left side.

I guess I've already got a shopping list made out for this time next year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I slagged the Ellis pick last night, but now I kind of like it after the way we cleaned up in the later rounds in regard to forward. Anyone know what the likelihood is that he could eventually convert to forward? Kid has some sick moves, and I was surprised by some of the footage I saw of his physicality.

LOOOOOOVE the Budish pick! I think that's going to be a steal, and he could be the best true power forward prospect we've had since Hartnell.

Also really like the Roussel pick, though I kind of hoped we'd grab Jeremy Morin at that point...i can live with it.

Really like Beck and Latta in the third.

Will withhold judgment on the rest, since i'm not that familiar. everyone speaks highly of gabriel bourque though, as a pure character\potential captain type.

All in all, I think this was an EXCELLENT draft. I wanted Schroeder, but honestly, the only other forward that intrigued me, with Dallas going off the board to get Glennie, was Kassian and I think he was too risky for us.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm still ecstatic with the end-result of this draft. All of these guys may turn out to be busts, but as a fan, looking in....the potential is immense.

Ellis - smart player with the heaviest shot in the class. If he wasn't 5'9, he would have been second only to Hedman. With that said, he is young and already 175. How many 17 year olds are that stocky? If he adds 15 pounds, he will be close to Tootoo's size on the back-end, and i wouldn't be surprised if he gets an inch or too. While I was hoping for Glennie, MSP, or Schroeder, it is almost a relief at times to see Poile go for the BPA when it is a defenseman. I HATE to see Poile reach for forwards because frankly, that is this teams weakness in scouting....high end forwards. From the interview, Poile clearly stated that Ellis was the top guy on their board. There were others they had higher, but they all went before our pick. I suspect we would have taken any of the three players before our pick ahead of Ellis and were hoping just one team would go off the board. With that said, I think it was a good pick, and I believe he will be an NHL player. Poile and others kept specifically saying how he is a 'game-changer'..... I personally really like this selection. I would have loved to move up and grab one of the aforementioned three. I also would have loved to move back into the first and taking Leblanc or Schroeder. HOWEVER, on a prospect basis, I think we made a sound selection here.....it wasn't a wow pick, but it was a good pick (much like the Parent and Blum selections in their draft year).

Budish - 6'3 225.....he looks HUGE. He goes to the net. He can score. Who knows where he is skating wise after an ACL surgery, but he is 7 months out and has been skating since March. With his frame and talent, we got a 10-20th overall selection in the 40s. He fits a huge need for this team, and I suspect he will be brought to the AHL very quickly if he has a successful freshman year at Minnesota. As Poile said in the interview, we have a scout or two situated near him, and they will be keeping close tabs on him.

Roussel - Like Josi last year, the Predators got a borderline 1st round talent in the mid-second round. A right handed shot (!), a guy that does a little bit of everything, 6'1 and already 196, this guy has few weaknesses. I've read that, and by his own admission, he wants to work on his skating, but this isn't because he is an exceptionally bad skater. Lots of potential here.

The next two picks are what made my day - Beck (6'2 205) and Latta (5'11 200). Both from Guelph. Both with eerily similar jumps in production and statistics. Both with the do-or-die mentality and team-first approach. I wouldn't bet against both of these guys making it to Nashville at some point, especially with each able to encourage each other on. The size at their age is impressive as well. The Predators have definitely started drafting some truly impressive physical specimens of late (Wilson sticks out from last year).

I have no idea on the rest of the guys, but the above 5 look great. Flipping through the reports on the rest is intriguing. Borque and Smith both look like solid mid-round selections. Oliver has very little out there on him, but he has size. The Predators have taken a lot of US players the past few years, and I trust this was a scout pick more than anything else. Something interesting on Mattias Ekholm - he obviously has the size at 6'4 195, but he played in the Swe-2 league this past year. In 38 games, he had 2 goals and 11 assists. Ekman-Larsson in comparison had 3 goals/14 assists in 39 games (granted Ekholm has almost a year more on him in age...)

Regardless, the draft looks great. Poile and company seem to have done a good job. Lets hope that he actually picks up a forward for the big club in the next few weeks...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:47 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
Roussel was a steal at that spot. Still, Nashville needs to trade for a quality forward with all these d-men.
Sadly that's not Poille's MO.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:16 PM
sattar18

I just wanted to drop by and say you guys got a huge steal in Roussel. IMO he will be another Weber.

So now you can trade one of them to the devils

sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Mathletic

Habs fan here

great picks by Nashville this year, I wanted Roussel at 18, tremendous player ... add to that Buddish and Ellis, I'd be excited for the future if I were a Predators fan

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:45 PM
CritZ

Roussel needs to improve on his defensive game, but things are really progressing on his case. Just little details. He also admits, he would like to improve his speed, especially foot speed, which is allready very average, but thats the type of player he is, always wants to get better. Actually, he might, from time to time, play with Dominik Schlumpf, which used to play on the same d-man pair as Roman Josi.

Old
06-28-2009, 12:15 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Ellis - smart player with the heaviest shot in the class. If he wasn't 5'9, he would have been second only to Hedman. With that said, he is young and already 175. How many 17 year olds are that stocky? If he adds 15 pounds, he will be close to Tootoo's size on the back-end, and i wouldn't be surprised if he gets an inch or too. While I was hoping for Glennie, MSP, or Schroeder, it is almost a relief at times to see Poile go for the BPA when it is a defenseman. I HATE to see Poile reach for forwards because frankly, that is this teams weakness in scouting....high end forwards. From the interview, Poile clearly stated that Ellis was the top guy on their board. There were others they had higher, but they all went before our pick. I suspect we would have taken any of the three players before our pick ahead of Ellis and were hoping just one team would go off the board. With that said, I think it was a good pick, and I believe he will be an NHL player. Poile and others kept specifically saying how he is a 'game-changer'..... I personally really like this selection. I would have loved to move up and grab one of the aforementioned three. I also would have loved to move back into the first and taking Leblanc or Schroeder. HOWEVER, on a prospect basis, I think we made a sound selection here.....it wasn't a wow pick, but it was a good pick (much like the Parent and Blum selections in their draft year).
You wouldn't have had to move up to get Schroeder.. he went 22nd.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:16 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Much happier with day 2. Love the Buddish pick. I guess we all got our wish for more forwards! Thanks for putting all that info out here about these picks, I like them.

I like what I'm hearing about Ellis. Sounds like a good pick, even if we as fans were disappointed it at first. I felt bad for Ellis because practically all Pred fans were mad that we picked him, but not because he can't be a real good player, just because he was a dman.

----------------- from np.com
***The Nashville Predators’ top prospects, including several of this year’s picks, are expected to participate in the club’s 2009 Developmental Camp, officially opening on Tuesday, July 7 at Centennial Sportsplex with fitness testing. The first of three on-ice sessions is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, July 8.***
-----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Habs fan dropping in to say.... what a helluva draft for the Predators.

You guys are crazy to be dissing Ryan Ellis. I lived in Windsor for a couple of years and the kid is absolutely amazing. His defensive game, even though he's small, is very underrated. And there is no defenseman in the draft that sees the offensive part of the game better than him, including Hedman. You guys may be disappointed now, but you won't be soon enough.. he is an absolute beast.
I don't think anyone was dissing Ellis. It's just that on a team that is already lacking in goal scoring, we were hoping for some offensive help in the first round when there were some good ranked prospects still available. And instead we got more defense when we already have like a thousand defense prospects.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
You wouldn't have had to move up to get Schroeder.. he went 22nd.
I meant move back into the first round to get him

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalaryCap View Post
Is he physical?
Wouldn't say so.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:18 AM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

[QUOTE=worstfaceoffmanever;20060909]Absolutely DO NOT pick Kreider at 11. If he's the guy you want, you trade down to grab him and get more assets. He'll still be there on down the board. He probably won't make it past the Rangers, though.QUOTE]

Dead on

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:32 AM
CritZ

Ellis's pick is very solid, the kid has a bomb shot, what a duo during PP's alongside Weber, thats fire power.

Old
06-28-2009, 09:54 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

As much as I coveted a scoring forward prospect in the 1st round, what I read and see of the 2nd day picks is very impressive. Lots of promising forwards taken. Of course we know they are just prospects, but the odds seem pretty good the preds will get some roster players out of this group. Did not expect immediate help by any means.

Now the focus goes to free agency, I feel Sully and Ward will test the market. I would take a harder line on Zanon, a slot much easier to fill with a role player if need be. We may all be crying in our beer come July 2, though.
Wouldn't Philly be a natural trading partner again? They will need to make cap room, and if we lose out on Sully maybe we can help them with that on a younger player with high potential...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:22 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
As much as I coveted a scoring forward prospect in the 1st round, what I read and see of the 2nd day picks is very impressive. Lots of promising forwards taken. Of course we know they are just prospects, but the odds seem pretty good the preds will get some roster players out of this group. Did not expect immediate help by any means.

Now the focus goes to free agency, I feel Sully and Ward will test the market. I would take a harder line on Zanon, a slot much easier to fill with a role player if need be. We may all be crying in our beer come July 2, though.
Wouldn't Philly be a natural trading partner again? They will need to make cap room, and if we lose out on Sully maybe we can help them with that on a younger player with high potential...
Actually Vancouver is a natural trading partner now.

Canucks have Shirokov (Russian, you are not interested), Raymond, Grabner, Schroeder, and Hansen on the wings. We need D. Particularily on the right side.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

All in all a solid 4 star draft for me. Ellis seems to be the right guy for the team, Minny and one other team seemed high on him so it's no disaster. Another Memorial Cup winner in the fold. Franson, Weber, Blum, Radulov, now Ellis, and Wilson's NCAA Championship.

After him Poile showed a commitment to getting bigs. After being pushed around by bigger teams in the PO's, it's something we've needed to do. Loved getting Budish at 41 and Good to see we finally took a French Canadian for a change. Beck looks like a good pick too. Anyone know what we got from Stl and Tampa???

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:20 AM
predfan24

I learned from a very good source today that if Isles would have taken Hedman, we had a deal in place for Tampa's second pick. Apparently the deal would have been: Suter, 11th, prospect( my guess was Franson) for the 2nd.

Just a interesting little nugget I thought.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
"We're taking maybe a little more risk than we have before,'' Predators General Manager David Poile said. "Ryan Ellis was a little out of the box. We could have been a little more conservative, but we were looking for more of a home run.
-- David Poile

Source: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ential+rewards

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I actually applaud this. We've always gone for "safe" picks...Upshall and Parent are two shining examples. The more I read about Ellis, the more I like what we may have in him.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote