Notices

NHL Draft @ Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2009, 10:26 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
We traded the pick to LA for two 4ths and a 7th. Good value.

117, 120, 203 are the picks we got.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Selanne08*

what did we get for the trade?

Old
06-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
wow. DW. he is doing a great job

Old
06-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Whaddagoal

Okay we now have the 117th and 120th (4th round #26, and #29)

Old
06-27-2009, 10:30 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:

117, 120, 203 are the picks we got.
Did we have to give up another pick? To get 117, 120, and 203 for 95 is pretty darn good. At this point, there's not a whole lot of difference between picks.

Toni Rajala could very well be there at 117, if indeed that's who we're looking at.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Whaddagoal

LA wa probably desperate to get that pick, so willing to give up 2 late 4ths?

Old
06-27-2009, 10:38 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Yeah, a goalie no less and this is supposed to be a subpar draft for goalies.

Rajala went to Edmonton. Not too surprised I guess. They love the speedy guys.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Selanne08*

yeah oh well about rajala. i love the draft we are having. and the extra picks are good

Old
06-27-2009, 10:52 AM
All_blueandwhite

From a Leafs fans, I just want to say DW is making Burke look like an idiot. So many promises, and ends up taking Jamie ****ing Devane in the 3rd round. Who?

You guys should be pretty excited, have Kane, Klingberg, Morin, and now just taking Pasquale

Old
06-27-2009, 10:54 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Two things about Pasquale

1. He is a good value here

2. He plays for the Saginaw Spirit, whose mascot is named after Stephen Colbert

http://www.freep.com/article/2009062...906270352/1062

We also took Ben Chiarot, all I know about him is that I googled him and the first thing that came up were some hockey fight websites

Last edited by btn: 06-27-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old
06-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Selanne08*

i love the goalie pick. so who is this d-man. any thoughts?

Old
06-27-2009, 11:03 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Just got another hard nosed defenseman, Cody Sol also from Saginaw.

Another article about the two Sagniaw kids.

http://www.mlive.com/spirit/index.ss...s_eddie_p.html

Old
06-27-2009, 11:07 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Haha, no ****, was my birthday too.

What all did I get? New stick (Easton S11), new shins (Vapor XXV), and Evander Kane (Face Destroyer). Best birthday ever.
I only wanted two things, and got one:

a. A snow storm (Yeah, I know, but I dream big. I really want to see the chaos of snow in Atlanta in June, though. The mere thought of that is instant hilarity!)

b. "The Thrashers select, from the Vancouver Giants of the WHL, Evander Kane"

Overall, I'm quite pleased.

Old
06-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Mister Rogers

Im happy so far and am even more happy that every player we have taken so far has been over 6'1

Old
06-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Knuckles Muldoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
I have a feeling he's pretty much guaranteed a 9 game try-out if he doesn't look absolutely lost during camp. After that is anybody's guess, but I really think DW and JA give him an opportunity this year.
I'm a Vancouver Giant season-ticket holder, so I can let you in on what you can expect of Kane.

First, he is not ready to play next year. He's absolutely not strong enough. He'll need a year, and maybe even two. He's wiry-strong, but still quite thin by pro hockey standards. The good part is that he does have the structure to hold plenty of muscle, so there's no way he won't have a great NHL body when he's 20.

As a player, he's a prototypical sniper. A true gunslinger. He's not, and likely never will be, a great all-around offensive player. He's a decent playmaker, that's about it. He does need to learn to play with his head up more, and be able to find his teammates better than he does. Because he does tend to have a tunnel-vision for the net, shooting from bad angles at the expense to moving the puck to a better option. But that's because he is what he is, a shooter. He has a great snapshot, and can release it quick. He always goes to wherever he has to go to get the puck and has the nice, long skating stride to get there. Going into the dirty areas to get his stick on the puck doesn't bother him at all. For Evander, it's all about getting chances to shoot the puck. He's a threat to score anywhere from 40 feet in. He plays with an edge much of the time and does take some dumb penalties, but he'll grow out of that. Not a warm, fuzzy guy. He just focuses on getting his job done. Great pickup, you guys will be very happy with him.

With Kane and Machacek, you guys are starting to corner the market on my favorite Giants. Maybe you can call Nashville and see about acquiring Jonathan Blum, seeing that the Preds have picked up yet ANOTHER high-end Dman.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Levko Koper in round 7

Thrashers went back to the WHL in round 7 to take another Spokane Chief - Levko Koper.

In Koper, you guys will get an honest player. He's not the kind of guy that's going to score 30 goals, but he has decent offensive potential. He's a very good skater, hard working, and is a very good penalty killer for the Chiefs. He has a Memorial Cup ring to his name, and each year in the 'dub he has improved his offensive numbers. At one point in the year, he was talked about as a 3rd or 4th rounder because of his hot start, but his numbers tapered off towards the end of the year. That might be more of a sign of the returning Chiefs (Drayson Bowman, Ondrej Roman, etc) getting back from their respective tournaments/camps than it is of Koper's work ethic and abilities.

Think of him along the lines of a good top 9 forward at his best potential. Maybe in the mold of Jason Chimera.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:01 PM
VAThrasher

Thanks for the bios, Knuckles and GoChiefs. Good stuff.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Oh, and to add to Knuckles' point.

Kane is the real deal, a power forward in the making.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Knuckles Muldoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Thrashers went back to the WHL in round 7 to take another Spokane Chief - Levko Koper.

In Koper, you guys will get an honest player. He's not the kind of guy that's going to score 30 goals, but he has decent offensive potential. He's a very good skater, hard working, and is a very good penalty killer for the Chiefs. He has a Memorial Cup ring to his name, and each year in the 'dub he has improved his offensive numbers. At one point in the year, he was talked about as a 3rd or 4th rounder because of his hot start, but his numbers tapered off towards the end of the year. That might be more of a sign of the returning Chiefs (Drayson Bowman, Ondrej Roman, etc) getting back from their respective tournaments/camps than it is of Koper's work ethic and abilities.

Think of him along the lines of a good top 9 forward at his best potential. Maybe in the mold of Jason Chimera.
I agree with this. Koper is a good, solid player and could easily be a 7th-rounder who turns into something useful.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:16 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Very happy with the draft this year.

We have gotten very WHL heavy in the past couple of years. Only 1 European drafted as well.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:32 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Carl Klingberg:

"A great personal favorite. "Calle" is a very large rightarforward (190, 93) with excellent skating and topspeed of its size. It looks not so nice all the times ... but you can really escape. Klingberg is a really tough and gritty guy who hits anything that moves - with fantastic nice checking. He must indeed have been the Super Elite absolutely annoying most forward to meet in the corners, then he is so strong, so big, so tough, and so agressive, in hes style of play. In addition to Klingberg is a great two-way forward as a consequence, the work home in a fantastic way - and can kill BP in an excellent manner - he is of course right skilled offensively. His wrist shot is hard - and he has a really nice object inside - but the fact is that his hands and the game inside is at least as good. If not better. Calle is intense around the bag and big and heavy to move in front of goal. He is often important goals and he is a winner , and are strong mentally. I think the well-trained Gothenburg should fit well for the game on small rink. And has the potential to have a very nice future in North America. Above all, I think he will be a gritty solid third-liner, which certainly makes some points, but above all, is an excellent team player that play hard every game . I think that Klingberg should be the end of the first round or early second round, otherwise I am disappointed."

http://www.hockeymagasinet.com/hocke...ms-topp50-10-6

Old
06-27-2009, 01:34 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
Very happy with the draft this year.

We have gotten very WHL heavy in the past couple of years. Only 1 European drafted as well.
Maybe only one Euro but I love him already. The official site has a vignette up with our second round picks and Klingberg is a hoot. Love his attitude and he appears to have a personality. I'm excited to have him in the organization. We desperately need more passion around here and I think he'll bring it.

VERY happy with the Kane selection as well. Someone who'll dig in the corners? Yes please! A power forward is needed in these parts. As to the comments from Knuckles above? First, thank you for the first hand perspective. However, I think his actions for the national junior team contradict a little bit of your analysis. he accepted a different role in those championships and I believe he can be more of a team player than described above. Regardless, I love the pick. Love the talent, love the grit, and love his crazy family (another vid from the official site).

Old
06-27-2009, 03:04 PM
toph2o

Absolutely thrilled with the draft, and pleasantly surprised at how well DW appears to have done. Each of the top 3 picks were ranked at one point or another in the ISS Top 25, all of the top 5 picks were in the RLR Top 52, and a nice variety of skillsets as well.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:07 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

DW has finally come through !

Hopefully July 1st , he comes through again .

Old
06-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Thrashers

I admit I do not know a lot of these players. If you all are happy with the draft then so will I be.

Closed Thread