HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Nakyva and Jyrkkio

Old
06-26-2009, 07:46 AM
wings5

vCash: 500
Nakyva and Jyrkkio

What can someone tell me about these two defenceman?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
What can someone tell me about these two defenceman?
Very similar in their approach to the game - more offensive than defense. Jyrkkio is a couple of years older and thus more mature physically and stronger. Both are highly skilled but from what I've heard Nakyva is a bit more of a perimeter player while Jyrkkio has shown a willingness to defend and play the body when necessary.

Jyrkkio is the son of a former player and coach who encouraged creativity and offensive attack - much like John Tortorella's "safe is death" mantra.

Nakyva must display more commitment to his development but has all the tools to be an exciting player.

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:49 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVP View Post
Very similar in their approach to the game - more offensive than defense. Jyrkkio is a couple of years older and thus more mature physically and stronger. Both are highly skilled but from what I've heard Nakyva is a bit more of a perimeter player while Jyrkkio has shown a willingness to defend and play the body when necessary.
IMO Jyrkkiö is a skinny and weak defender for a player of his age. He looses a lot of battles for the puck while playing against men and because of that he can't really be trusted in the defensive zone in SM-liiga. Näkyvä is better positionally, a lot smarter in the defensive zone and doesn't get as easily into trouble as Jyrkkiö does. I believe that if Näkyvä and Jyrkkiö would play in the same organization - Näkyvä would be the one closer to a spot with the first team. IMO there's no chance in hell that Jyrkkiö gets drafted, Näkyvä might go in the later rounds.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
IMO Jyrkkiö is a skinny and weak defender for a player of his age. He looses a lot of battles for the puck while playing against men and because of that he can't really be trusted in the defensive zone in SM-liiga. Näkyvä is better positionally, a lot smarter in the defensive zone and doesn't get as easily into trouble as Jyrkkiö does. I believe that if Näkyvä and Jyrkkiö would play in the same organization - Näkyvä would be the one closer to a spot with the first team. IMO there's no chance in hell that Jyrkkiö gets drafted, Näkyvä might go in the later rounds.
Interesting take on things but I think you may be focused on what Jyrkkio cannot do as to what he can do. There are defensemen in the NHL that have same issues defensively - Tom Poti immediately comes to mind. That is not to say that Jyrkkio's skills are close to that level.

You may be right, though. Due to their ages, Nakyva may very well go in the later rounds while Jyrkkio will have to continue to his develop his game in Assat and then seek a free agent contract in a year or two.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Interesting take on things but I think you may be focused on what Jyrkkio cannot do as to what he can do. There are defensemen in the NHL that have same issues defensively - Tom Poti immediately comes to mind. That is not to say that Jyrkkio's skills are close to that level.

You may be right, though. Due to their ages, Nakyva may very well go in the later rounds while Jyrkkio will have to continue to his develop his game in Assat and then seek a free agent contract in a year or two.
I have nothing against Jyrkkiö, but he just doesn't look like a pro prospect. I was expecting great things from him at the U20WJC's, but he failed to support the team offensively and looked horrible defensively. In addition he failed to secure a permanent spot in a weak Ässät first team and overall left me a picture of a player with a low self-esteem. I would gladly be wrong, so that we could see even one player from the weak 89-class in NA, but I think that it's far more likely that Jyrkkiö will spend the next few years searching icetime between Mestis and SM-liiga.

Old
06-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Korkki

Jyrkkiö was quite poor last season, his development likely stopped. The only good game I saw was the last qualification between Ässät and Sport where he was the best defender. He needs lot of work and a boost in self confidence for next season. There is much more potential than in Näkyvä, but he needs to work to get that out.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
Jyrkkiö was quite poor last season, his development likely stopped. The only good game I saw was the last qualification between Ässät and Sport where he was the best defender. He needs lot of work and a boost in self confidence for next season. There is much more potential than in Näkyvä, but he needs to work to get that out.
Thanks a lot for your assessment. No doubt you saw him play many more times than I did. For the most part, I was going based on things I've heard from people who have watched the two play - admittedly, they are more skeptical about Nakyva than they are convinced Jyrkkio can be a player. And the few times I've seen him, and other sources I've read, seem to think that Jyrkkio is very gifted. But you may be right. A couple of years ago I thought Eetu Heikkinen and Joonas Kemppainen would be prospects after there junior days but those two have seemed to level off a bit in terms of potential.

Is this a trend with Assat juniors or do they for some reason look a lot better at an early age but tend to level off? It'll be interesting to see how Jesse Joensuu does with the Islanders this year.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
A couple of years ago I thought Eetu Heikkinen and Joonas Kemppainen would be prospects after there junior days but those two have seemed to level off a bit in terms of potential.
I started to follow the progress of those two when they moved from Hokki to Ässät after their Jr.C season and especially Kemppainen looked incredible during his first season in Jr.A, right after the Jr.C season. Kemppainen was touted for his fast development, but something happened after that and his development slowed down significantly. Truly a mystery for me.

Quote:
Is this a trend with Assat juniors or do they for some reason look a lot better at an early age but tend to level off?
Ässät as an organization has been giving quite a lot of chances for their top youngsters to play with the older guys. Joensuu, Kemppainen and Heikkinen played a lot with the older guys. Last season Santeri Arousva (93born) and Niklas Lehtimäki (95born) were the players from Ässät that played a lot with the older guys. One might think that it helps them to stand out and get an edge over the other players in their age group, but with the wrong kind of training it might hurt their long term development.

Joensuu on the other hand was a freak of nature as a 16 year old. He was already as strong as an ox and maybe because of that many of his skills didn't develop in the best way possible. He just didn't need skill or smarts that much to be effective.