HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bob Gainey:"I can't tell you that we're close to adding an impact player to our team"

Old
06-26-2009, 10:30 AM
David_99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigDarby View Post
And keep my first round exits.
I'm not saying leave it there, just that if they try to pull some crap, he can say he's got some very talented players he can sign or make a trade with someone else. He shouldn't feel pressured to make a deal if someone is trying to low ball him.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Gainey can say "You think I should pay more because the draft is in Montreal? That's nice, I'll just resign Kovy, Koivu, Tanguay etc etc. You keep your cap eating superstar, I'll keep my young guns. Have a good day."
Yes and it served us well so far hasn't it?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Maybe if the UFAs won't come here and if other teams don't want our players, looking at our signed core, we're a pretty young team. So might as well go ahead and rebuild since it will be players that we would have drafted and will be with us for a long time. I'm thinking more and more that we should do this with this year being the turning point: Get us a competitive team or throw the towel and do the thing we should have done in 1996.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Maybe if the UFAs won't come here and if other teams don't want our players, looking at our signed core, we're a pretty young team. So might as well go ahead and rebuild since it will be players that we would have drafted and will be with us for a long time. I'm thinking more and more that we should do this with this year being the turning point. Get us a competitive team or throw the towel and do the thing we should have done in 1996.
Who is our young signed core? Other than Price I don't see any young impact players that you can form a "core" with.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Who is our young signed core? Other than Price I don't see any young impact players that you can form a "core" with.
Our offense is Plekanec, The Kosti Bros, Higgins, Lats, Lappy, Dags, Pacioretti.

I never said that we had any impact players. Just that the Habs are young and it would be an opportunity to rebuild.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18

[COLOR="Red"
Bob Gainey[/B][/COLOR][/B]:"I can't tell you that we're close to adding an impact player to our team"

I still hope that there's some player changes for next year. We MUST add some impact players..

What's the old saying (?)............."some things never change"

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
momotan

In other words he's been asleep at the helm while everyone has been setting up deals.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post

Looks like there are, at least some people on this board who "get it"!

Then of course there are some people who live in some form of grand delusion.

GoodKiwi - you obviously "get it"!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
In other words he's been asleep at the helm while everyone has been setting up deals.
Do people really believe the crap they write?

Old
06-26-2009, 10:56 AM
la25ecoupe

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:56 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post

There is a line between delusion and faith...you seem to have lost the latter...

I think akost can be an impact player...I am not talking superstar impact but nonetheless impact...i believe patches and mcdonaugh and even subban could potentially become impact players so i really do fail to see where we are being delusional here............

Hopeful yes delusional no

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Classic

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm a Gainey supporter, but I'm hoping he realizes that his job could be on the line this season..

If we go into next season with no impact UFA's signed and only 1 or no UFA's re-signed, plus not having acquired any players for our team through trade...then, I'll seriously start wondering what the hell he's doing.

Why is Gainey's job on the line?? Is it because he doesn't trade for a big star or sign big UFA's???? Do you honestly think that anybody else out there would be able to do any better than Gainey is doing??

Gainey is a smart man. He's not going to make stupid deals just to please the bonehead fans that think making a deal is as easy as it is in NHL09.
In the salary cap world....its not easy to make trades anyways, then throw in the fact that not everybody wants to play in Montreal because of the taxes, the media and the pressure from the fans and your looking at a tough position to be in. Gainey is trying....just like every other year, but he can't force players to come play in Montreal....I wish he could....but it doesn't work that way.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Why is Gainey's job on the line?? Is it because he doesn't trade for a big star or sign big UFA's???? Do you honestly think that anybody else out there would be able to do any better than Gainey is doing??

Gainey is a smart man. He's not going to make stupid deals just to please the bonehead fans that think making a deal is as easy as it is in NHL09.
In the salary cap world....its not easy to make trades anyways, then throw in the fact that not everybody wants to play in Montreal because of the taxes, the media and the pressure from the fans and your looking at a tough position to be in. Gainey is trying....just like every other year, but he can't force players to come play in Montreal....I wish he could....but it doesn't work that way.
I do believe that desperation will start kicking in soon though. I've been a Gainey supporter from day one and I still am. But let's face it: the conservative approach has not brought the expected benefits and it might just be time to gamble a bit more.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

You need to stop posting!!! You have no idea how hard being a GM is and you have no idea how hard Gainey is actually working....so you need to keep your foolish posts to yourself, because you are the only one who actually believes that Gainey is just sitting there sleeping.

His phone is ringing just as much as everybody elses is and he is making calls and talking to other GM's around the league.....theres no doubt about that at all....except in your eyes....which appear to be closed with hate.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
You need to stop posting!!! You have no idea how hard being a GM is and you have no idea how hard Gainey is actually working....so you need to keep your foolish posts to yourself, because you are the only one who actually believes that Gainey is just sitting there sleeping.

His phone is ringing just as much as everybody elses is and he is making calls and talking to other GM's around the league.....theres no doubt about that at all....except in your eyes....which appear to be closed with hate.
You don't get it. It's very easy on NHL09!

Old
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He's resigning Tanguay

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I do believe that desperation will start kicking in soon though. I've been a Gainey supporter from day one and I still am. But let's face it: the conservative approach has not brought the expected benefits and it might just be time to gamble a bit more.

I agree with that, he does need to take a few more risks and stop being quite so conservative....but he still needs to make smart deals that make sense when its all said and done. Makes sense team and money-wise.

Trading away 5 roster players to get Lecavalier isn't the way to go....but if he can give up 2 or 3 roster players to make a deal happen and he has the rookies to fill the holes...then he needs to take a gamble and trust that his draft picks will turn into solid players.

If he is able to attract a big star player to come play in Montreal, it might make it easier to attract more players the next year. Right now, Koivu, Kovalev and a struggling Price isn't enough to make players say "I wanna go play in Montreal"

Old
06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Go Habs Go

After reading this thread, all I see are Habs fans saying that Gainey should overpay to get trades done, Gainey should make a trade regardless if we're getting ripped off. You guys are nuts...

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm a Gainey supporter, but I'm hoping he realizes that his job could be on the line this season..

If we go into next season with no impact UFA's signed and only 1 or no UFA's re-signed, plus not having acquired any players for our team through trade...then, I'll seriously start wondering what the hell he's doing.
Next season?
Start wondering?

I have always been a supporter of his but I'm giving him 8 more days (most big name free agents sign in the first 3-4 days of free agency). If by next week end the complexion of the team is not changed for the better or improved, I don't think there would be any choice but to fire him and Pierre Gauthier. We'd be heading into at least a mini rebuild anyways.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
You don't get it. It's very easy on NHL09!

LOL...oh I know it is. I traded Phaneuf for Bouwmeester, Zednik and a 2nd. But it only went through because the cap hit was the same...LOL.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:09 AM
momotan

Quote:

Sure the phone is ringing, but he's snoring to loud to hear it and answer. I repeat, nothing will happen. No trades, no signings, no UFAs. Nada. And then when someone questions other GMs or agents on deals later on, the answer will be what it always is "...well, we could have made a deal, but we never heard from Bob...." because he was sleeping as usual.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Sure the phone is ringing, but he's snoring to loud to hear it and answer. I repeat, nothing will happen. No trades, no signings, no UFAs. Nada. And then when someone questions other GMs or agents on deals later on, the answer will be what it always is "...well, we could have made a deal, but we never heard from Bob...." because he was sleeping as usual.
So you really believe what you write?!? Wow, you are a pathetic, frustrated fan. A shame to these boards. At least, bring an argument, facts, stuff we can discuss, don't just make highly emotional comments on the boards with little or no logic associated to it...

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:23 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:

I just think you're so negative because you've never gotten "it"

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

I'd rather get "it" than "get it"

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote