HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa Signs with Chicago :( (Updated: Kopecky to Chicago too!)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
FissionFire

vCash: 500
Kovalev reportedly turned down 2yr/8.8M to stay in Montreal so I highly doubt he would come cheap.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
Outside of the direct interaction between Holland and Winter, one can only know so much, yet as I understand it he has a bit of a reputation as both a stick in the mud and a bit of an @**hole. That, and it wasn't good of him to leave Holland hanging for so long without an answer (mucho sucko). Winter also made a comment in the paper where he spoke for Hossa and his comment was really hostile/asinine.
Link?

Old
07-01-2009, 04:48 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Link?
I'm not sure if he's talking about the same thing I saw, but I'm not sure if I would categorize it as hostile. More like bizarre. Winter was asked about the negotiations with Holland and how close/far apart they were and he replied apparently with "see no evil hear no evil."

Old
07-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Wingnut31

Send a message via ICQ to Wingnut31 Send a message via AIM to Wingnut31 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingnut31
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wing Man View Post
we got a couple decade deals ourselves.
Might be the limit.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
I'm not sure if he's talking about the same thing I saw, but I'm not sure if I would categorize it as hostile. More like bizarre. Winter was asked about the negotiations with Holland and how close/far apart they were and he replied apparently with "see no evil hear no evil."
I didn't really get it when I read that quote. He later said elsewhere that he actually hadn't talked to Holland all day Tuesday.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut31 View Post
Might be the limit.
Only one is deserved.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I wonder what kind of deal Filppula would've signed had Hossa agreed to the multi-year deal last summer.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:52 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Only one is deserved.
Quick, name the top 2 playoff goal scorers since the lockout!

Old
07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I wonder what kind of deal Filppula would've signed had Hossa agreed to the multi-year deal last summer.
Probably the same kind of deal Hudler would have signed had Hossa signed this summer...

Old
07-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Probably the same kind of deal Hudler would have signed had Hossa signed this summer...
Thanks Marian!

Old
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Why do people use the term luxury? What great player isn't a luxury?
Guess what, despite having that "luxury" we didn't win because we couldn't score goals.
But he was a luxury to Detroit

The man only came here because he wanted to win and cash in the next year. We were the defending champs and had the capspace to fit his demand. Otherwise, he would already be rotting in Edmonton while rolling in money.

It was only going to be a one year shot. Everyone knew this at the begining. But as the season progressed, people actually started to believe it could turn into something more. That thought process should have ended when Franzen was resigned(as I thought he would as I stated months ago that he was Holland's #1 priority) but people still refused to think otherwise.

Maybe if Hossa actually did something in the playoffs(as opposed to the regular season) he may have gotten a better offer from Holland. It was clear this time he wanted to cash in and when Chicago offered him more cash, he bailed. Just like Ben Wallace leaving the Pistons for the better offer.

Of course, Hossa wasn't the only one that struggled. There is plenty of blame to go around. But Hossa was only brought in for one reason and aside from a couple of game 4's, he vanished. What happened to his drive? And I've still yet to hear if he was even injured throughout the playoffs. With so many of our guys hampered, I have no problem giving them somewhat of a mulligan.

While Hossa is a great player, he isn't a superstar. He isn't god. He isn't going to prevent Detroit from being good or much less competitive.

In some respects, Hossa was the worst thing to happen with some Detroit fans. It just shows how spoiled some people are

Old
07-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Datstromberg

sort of pissed, sort of not. he scored 40 goals and was fun to watch, but that was the regular season. 23 points from hossa in the playoffs would've guaranteed detroit a stanley cup.
hopefully this means we'll see a lot more of datsyuk and z on the same line.

Old
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
DregerFan

Marian Hossa has teh "grass is greener on the other side" problem.

Chicago made a big mistake signing him. They're going to see him go missing in the playoffs. it seems like everyoen was right. It was the one year with Pittsburgh in the Playoffs that Hossa had that was an OUTLIER.

He's never ever played well in the playoffs excluding that year with Pittsburgh. When I look at Marian Hossa, I bet you anything that he wanted to stay here for Franzen Money but Rich Winter got in the way. Some agents meddle a lot, and I bet you last year it was Winter who told Hossa to take the maximum they'd give him. The Player only knows what hte agent tells him unless the player is sitting beside him.

I bet you Winter didn't table half the provisions detroit would have made in order to make Hossa fit.. Anyways I don't have qualms with agents other than that they get paid in proportion to the deal they negotiate (jee, that sure gets in the way of "Winning" you ought to think).

Keep your money Hossa, and go missing in the Playoffs. We won't miss you as much as you think. We have our boy Franzen who actually took a discount and shows up in the playoffs.. Oh and when he's not scoring goals he's sure as hell causing problems driving to the net with the puck on his stick with one hand and the other hand pushing 6 foot something defensemen.

Hossa. Have fun losing to use for the next 10 years.

Chicago, sign your young talent before you keep spending like sailors.

Kane is an RFA the year after this one, Toews is as well. They EACH deserve ~5-6 cap hit. This is a big mistake. Your home grown should be re upped before you go out and get a 30 year old whose proven nothing.

The more I think about it, I bet you Chicago gave Hossa the best offer. Hossa's best series was arguably against Chicago, because he was strong on teh puck and creating chances when Datsyuk and Lidstrom weren't there... Too bad that was the only sign of brilliance he showed during the whole playoffs, and he got paid for it.

Story of his life.

Old
07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

well I think I know how it feels to lose a player to a rival. But then I'm glad we didnt sign him for 12 years because we got Tatar-tot and Lambergini Farraro coming! I'm sure they'll be worth the wait.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
07-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Hossa spoke on the matter at a phone conference. Here's the most interesting thing he said, imo:

Quote:
He said he knew it would be tough for him to sign long-term with the Red Wings.

"If I sign, probably another five guys wouldn't be able to sign or someone would be traded,'' Hossa said. "That would be hard to deal with.''
Did he feel a bit like an interloper, and/or maybe the rank hadn't included him as much as we think. Keeping Hossa certainly would have meant some longer serving guys wouldn't come back. I think there's a bit of a Swedish clique here too. Dats at least has his friendship with Z that pre-dates that, but maybe Hossa and Kopecky felt it would be better somewhere else.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....handwriti.html

Old
07-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Wingnut31

Send a message via ICQ to Wingnut31 Send a message via AIM to Wingnut31 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingnut31
Quote:
Only one is deserved.
Time will tell.

Old
07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
FissionFire

If there is a Swedish clique that made Hossa feel frozen out then that's a pretty damning indictment of Lidstrom's captaincy.

Old
07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
If there is a Swedish clique that made Hossa feel frozen out then that's a pretty damning indictment of Lidstrom's captaincy.
They just hate Slovaks. Good luck Tatar.

Old
07-01-2009, 07:00 PM
dtones520

Eh, good for Hossa. Thats a tough deal to turn down. I truly believe that he wanted to stay in Detroit, but it just didnt work out. A player of his calibre, regardless of how he played in the playoffs (which wasnt that bad) should be paid more than $4 million per season. Heck, signing him for a Cap hit of $5 million per season is a good deal.

Kopecky is a bit overpaid. The guy has proven nothing in the NHL and he is making that kind of change? Oh well, good for him in cashing in as well.

Old
07-01-2009, 07:01 PM
dtones520

Quote:
If there is a Swedish clique then why did Filppula want to stay for so long and why would Leino want to resign with Detroit? Swedes hate Finns.

Old
07-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Wingnut31

Funny how all was well last year when they won but now they lose and there's cliques. I'll bet there are "cliques" on all teams but these guys are paid to play hockey together not socialize. Come to the rink, work your ass off and leave everything you have on the ice every time out, then go out for supper with whoever you want, can't see why anyone would expect anything more.

Old
07-01-2009, 07:09 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

A guy like Hossa who as far as I can tell is more of a quiet guy is not going to be a locker room darling within a year especially on a team where he is basically the new guy and everyone else knows each other.

That doesn't mean it was an obstacle to him coming back, Hossa will be the new guy in Chicago as well. The reason he didn't come back was that the team for one reason or another wasn't willing to make the moves that it would have taken to pay Hossa what he expected to get.

Old
07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
They just hate Slovaks. Good luck Tatar.
Damn, dudes! Relax. It may be a matter of what comes naturally and normally. I've lived overseas-- and while I made several friends from the new culture, it was still much easier to communicate/relax around other Americans. Is it surprising Kopecky and Hossa are friends? Or that all the Swedes live in Novi and hang out together? Hudler lived with Bobby Lang when he first got here, and Datsyuk was under Larionov's wing... as Grigs then was assigned to Dats for his short stay in Detroit as well.

Filppula, Hudler and Kopecky came up together from GR. Players form bonds.

I think what Hossa was saying is that he recognizes that there are bonds/friendships and perhaps felt that if he got a contract that resulted in older serving players being forced out, especially via trade, the locker room dynamic could have changed towards him.

Concentrate on what he did say, not all your reactionary 'our team is perfect' and everyone loves everyone equally stuff.

Closed Thread