HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa Signs with Chicago :( (Updated: Kopecky to Chicago too!)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2009, 02:52 PM
mottjm7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
With this signing you have to think Chicago and Detroit are pretty close to equals in the West now.

Hossa wanted to go to a team where he had the best chance to win a Stanley Cup and I can think of no better place then Chicago to do that.

Going to be pretty nice to see Hossa in that sweet Indian head instead of some wheel.

and for all the comments about Chicago Redhawks.. The Wings had their fair share of former hawks as well >_<

Old
07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
HenrikZ40

Two things...

One, Holland said in an interview after signing Hossa last year that he initially offered Hossa a contract seemingly identical to Datsyuk's. People need to remember, at that time the recession had not occured, and the possibility of the cap flatening for the season after was never really considered.

Secondly, people are questioning whether Franzen took a legitimate pay cut. The answer... probably not. But could you honestly expect him to? This was his first and last big contract he'd ever get, and he clearly deserved to make some significant cash.

Old
07-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikZ40 View Post
Two things...

One, Holland said in an interview after signing Hossa last year that he initially offered Hossa a contract seemingly identical to Datsyuk's. People need to remember, at that time the recession had not occured, and the possibility of the cap flatening for the season after was never really considered.

Secondly, people are questioning whether Franzen took a legitimate pay cut. The answer... probably not. But could you honestly expect him to? This was his first and last big contract he'd ever get, and he clearly deserved to make some significant cash.
The whole paycut thing is severely overpaid in the comparisons between Franzen and Hossa considering one was still over a million bucks cheaper.

Old
07-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
The whole paycut thing is severely overpaid in the comparisons between Franzen and Hossa considering one was still over a million bucks cheaper.
Sure, if you're just adding up the dollars (and you have to do that too). The reason I've gone on about his is that Holland often goes on about this point too, saying he prefers players who buy into his program-- a profile or personality type of thing. Sometimes it seems he doesn't buy into his own program either, maybe?

Old
07-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Sure, if you're just adding up the dollars (and you have to do that too). The reason I've gone on about his is that Holland often goes on about this point too, saying he prefers players who buy into his program-- a profile or personality type of thing. Sometimes it seems he doesn't buy into his own program either, maybe?
Of course he doesn't buy into it 100% with every single player and every single situation. That's what leads to the loyalty bashing as he holds very true to it. In this instance, I bet he essentially sees Hossa and Franzen as largely interchangeable and knew he was likely to only keep one. The former "buys in the system" and offers a cap hit of $5.2m. The latter buys in less (or not at all) and has a cap hit of $3.9m.

Does "buying into the system" matter when it still results in a larger contract, tighter cap space and likely even more roster cuts? No. It would probably be different if Holland saw Hossa as being significantly better than Franzen, but I don't think he does. So he's going to take the cheaper cap hit.

Old
07-03-2009, 10:51 PM
DregerFan

Personally I think Franzen would have gotten a 5/25 deal by a lot of teams.
He added years on to the deal to make it more accomodating. A player offering more years to lower the cap hit still means that he took a discount. regardless of the years in his career he could have been greedy and wanted a 5/25 without those other years... I think Franzen DID leave some money on the table. He IS a 30-40 goal scorer whose worth 5m

Old
07-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Athtar

Quote:
Once the market opened, free agent players get two - three interesting offers. Chicago, however, said that they need an answer within three minutes. It was not easy, since it was another two years of my life and career. Moreover, I have already got a family [i.e. he's a father]. We talked over with his wife, and finally I agreed."
http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009...sion_in_t.html

According to a slovakian article, Kopecky had 3 minutes to decide on the offer from Chicago.

Old
07-04-2009, 11:06 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athtar View Post
According to a slovakian article, Kopecky had 3 minutes to decide on the offer from Chicago.
maybe tallon feared another deadline he's not aware of.

Old
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
maybe tallon feared another deadline he's not aware of.
Or was prepared to make an offer to another player if he turned it down and did not want to be left empty handed.

Old
07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

"We talked over with his wife, and finally I agreed."

I know it's just bad english, but I can't help but laugh at the idea that both Kopecky and Hossa had to sit down with Hossa's wife to discuss the move, they sure are close.

Too bad Hossa doesn't have a wife as far as I know to ruin my exciting back story for their "friendship".

Old
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
"We talked over with his wife, and finally I agreed."

I know it's just bad english, but I can't help but laugh at the idea that both Kopecky and Hossa had to sit down with Hossa's wife to discuss the move, they sure are close.

Too bad Hossa doesn't have a wife as far as I know to ruin my exciting back story for their "friendship".
I think you misunderstand. Hossa is not married. Kopecky [who is married] was quoted as saying he had to decide quickly, talked to his wife, and agreed.

Old
07-09-2009, 10:39 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Again, you're not getting it. Here, maybe this will help.

6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6. That's 6 years, 36 million. 6 mil cap hit.

or

6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 1. That's 12 years, 50 million. 4.17 mil cap hit.

Then, if you were smart, you would sit down and analyze the two halves of the deal.

Is it worth it to play in Detroit for 6 years at 34 million rather than somewhere else at 6 years and 36 (or more, possibly) million, a whopping difference of around 300k (or more) a year?

Does Hossa and his agent anticipate more than 16 million dollars worth of contracts past age 35? Is he ineterested in becoming a year-by-year player past age 35, bouncing around from team to team?

Hey, I am not going to fault Hossa or Winter for trying to get paid on their next, and likely last, big deal. In fact, I am secretly rooting for them to price Hossa right out of Detroit's plans, given my latent passion for a trade-deadline acquisition of Luongo, or... someone. I miss trade deadlines. Detroit hasn't had an interesting one for about 3 years now.

All that said, if Winter is gearing Hossa up to vaule himself based on cap hit rather than dollars in wallet, he's being an idiot.

I got it.
You didn't.

Old
07-09-2009, 10:40 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Bob thinks Marian should get a deal that's structured like the 2nd one but with an overall cap hit of $6M. IE - $7-8M+ the first few years.
I said he's worth that.
I would have made moves to get a deal done at $5.0 to $5.4M.

Old
07-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Macke*

Quote:
I think you misunderstand. Hossa is not married. Kopecky [who is married] was quoted as saying he had to decide quickly, talked to his wife, and agreed.
Is Hossa divorced?

Can't wait to see what Hossa looks like in a Red hawks jersey.

Old
07-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
Is Hossa divorced?

Can't wait to see what Hossa looks like in a Red hawks jersey.
I don't think he's ever been married. I believe he lived with Kopecky when he first got to Detroit. No one has ever mentioned a wife or family.

Old
07-12-2009, 04:23 PM
angularcrayon19
It's The System

Quote:
I don't think he's ever been married. I believe he lived with Kopecky when he first got to Detroit. No one has ever mentioned a wife or family.
Maybe he's gay. That would actually be pretty cool.

Old
07-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by somepuertorican View Post
Yeah, let's not jump to conclusions

Old
07-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't know either way, just saying that Kopecky has a wife (and young child now??), while I believe Hossa has never been married. Hudler lived with Bobby Lang and his family while Lang was still with Detroit. Crosby is still in Lemieux's mansion, and I believe Gonchar was host for a time to Malkin? Not uncommon for the younger guys from overseas to move in with a vet, or for a guy in transition or due to a trade to get access to a teammate's house.

I thought the original question was Hossa talking to his wife. I was pointing out that the article referred to how much time Kopecky had to discuss matters with his wife.

Old
07-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
When Hossa came here initially he said it wasn't a big deal for him moving around because he doesn't have a family yet. When they asked him about his plans past last season he said he wants to sign somewhere and settle down to raise a family. I think he has a girlfriend.

Old
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Like Hudler and Osgood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3zI0AUQvRs

Last edited by Drunkspleen: 07-12-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Apparently Youtube embedding isn't working.
Old
07-13-2009, 01:31 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
When Hossa came here initially he said it wasn't a big deal for him moving around because he doesn't have a family yet. When they asked him about his plans past last season he said he wants to sign somewhere and settle down to raise a family. I think he has a girlfriend.
This is right. He has a gf, who I believe is still studying. Kopecky is married and has two children.

Old
07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Sean Avery*

I am not going to read 670 posts in this thread...

My main question to Wings fans is: How much does this downgrade your team from last year?

Without adding any pieces you lose Hossa and a not so big part of your team in Kopecky. Not to mention Lidstrom isn't getting any younger...

Do you think your depth can hold up as the best in the West? I think it's going to be very close in the Central between the Hawks and Wings because the Wings are like the Cardinals of hockey and always good no matter what.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Old
07-13-2009, 09:25 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliuuuuu View Post
I am not going to read 670 posts in this thread...

My main question to Wings fans is: How much does this downgrade your team from last year?

Without adding any pieces you lose Hossa and a not so big part of your team in Kopecky. Not to mention Lidstrom isn't getting any younger...

Do you think your depth can hold up as the best in the West? I think it's going to be very close in the Central between the Hawks and Wings because the Wings are like the Cardinals of hockey and always good no matter what.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Honestly. The team is about the same as the last two years. We lost a fair bit of depth scoring but still have 2 potent lines. We need to juggle our lines (and hope for someone to step up) a bit to find a 3rd line that can score.

We should still win the division imo. Even if Chicago is better than us on paper our Team is largely the same team with a few different shooters than last year. Cleary/Filpulla/Franzen/Zetterberg/Datsyuk will get more ice time this year. Leino, Helm and whichever other rookie forward we promote will get a chance to shine as well to take time off the big 5.

Old
07-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Honestly. The team is about the same as the last two years. We lost a fair bit of depth scoring but still have 2 potent lines. We need to juggle our lines (and hope for someone to step up) a bit to find a 3rd line that can score.

We should still win the division imo. Even if Chicago is better than us on paper our Team is largely the same team with a few different shooters than last year. Cleary/Filpulla/Franzen/Zetterberg/Datsyuk will get more ice time this year. Leino, Helm and whichever other rookie forward we promote will get a chance to shine as well to take time off the big 5.
Will we be seeing Justin Abdelkader making the team out of camp? He was DAMN impressive in his playoff performance.

Old
07-13-2009, 09:55 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliuuuuu View Post
Will we be seeing Justin Abdelkader making the team out of camp? He was DAMN impressive in his playoff performance.
We dont know. We are starting to think he may be on the team. However, we would prefer him to be our first callup and number 1 center in the AHL. We have several hot shot prospects at the Helm/Abdlekader age group who I imagine will all get a look/chance to make the team.

Helm is a lock

Abdlekader/Axelsson are likely the front runners for any other spots. Based on our current personnel i wont be shocked if Axelsson beats Abdlekader out of camp.

As good as Abs is this team could use another scorer rather than another grinder.

Closed Thread