HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Hossa Signs with Chicago :( (Updated: Kopecky to Chicago too!)

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2009, 10:22 AM
doublejack

vCash: 500
I think Campbell is tradeable, but I agree with HD that Chicago will have to really sweeten the pot to make it palatable. Even a team near the salary cap floor will need a big incentive to eat such a horrible contract. A buyout or re-entry waivers are probably more realistic ways of unloading at least part of the hit.

Old
07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I've already said: Atlanta is a team with the room and the need.
But after re-signing Kovalchuk is their ownership group going to want to take on another long term 7m contract?

Old
07-16-2009, 10:37 AM
FissionFire

Daily Herald writer Barry Rozner says the Leafs and Hawks have talked about Sharp. He also speculates that Byfuglien, Barker, and Versteeg are also on the block. His inside source has been pretty spot on in the past so there might be some fire with all the smoke.

Hawks already shopping Sharp
Quote:
The Blackhawks have talked to Toronto about Patrick Sharp, among other clubs, according to a team source.

Where those discussions go now is unclear, but what is clear is that players like Sharp ($4 million), Dustin Byfuglien ($3 million), Kris Versteeg ($3 million) and Cam Barker ($3 million) are available because a movable contract today may not be movable a year from now if the player doesn't perform next season.
He goes on to bash Dale Tallon pretty badly, but I disagree with his putting all the cap blame at the former GM's feet. The current GM Stan Bowman was the Hawks "capologist" so I'd think he would shoulder at least equal blame for the team getting into cap trouble.

Old
07-16-2009, 10:55 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
But after re-signing Kovalchuk is their ownership group going to want to take on another long term 7m contract?
It isn't like it's going to be a ginormous raise for Kovalchuk. He makes $6.5M now.

The point is, there are going to be several teams that aren't right up against the cap. And if said team needs a mobile PP QB, they might take on his terrible deal.

Old
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
It isn't like it's going to be a ginormous raise for Kovalchuk. He makes $6.5M now.

The point is, there are going to be several teams that aren't right up against the cap. And if said team needs a mobile PP QB, they might take on his terrible deal.
Big raise or not, Atlanta is a team that is struggling to make money. They are also IIRC not eligible for revenue sharing because of the size of the market they are in (like the Islanders). I'm not sure they could even afford to add 7M to their payroll, no matter how smart of a hockey decision it might be. Don't kid yourself, the Brad Richards trade had more to do with trying to balance the books than it did with making a hockey move. Atlanta really isn't in a position to spend big money on free agents. They still have Little to re-sign and will need another 8-10 players to sign even after Kovalchuk and Little just to fill out the roster. They've got 8.25M/season for the next 3 years tied up in Ron Hainsey and Tobias Enstrom as well. Can a team struggling to get out of the red afford to add another 7.1M for 1 player? Not to mention that Lehtonen is a RFA after next season so they will have to pony up to keep him and he's just re-signed for 3M so he won't be cheap.

Old
07-17-2009, 09:39 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Maybe.
But say Ottawa finds a way to deal Heatley. There is a big need on the Sens for a guy with Campbell's skills. And he'd take Heatley's cap room.
For all the crap about his terrible contract (and it is terrible), his contract isn't much worse than Rafalski's. And as long as the contract is, he'll be a year younger than Rafalski will be when his is done.

Old
07-17-2009, 10:01 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
I've already said: Atlanta is a team with the room and the need.
Oh God... what a horrible move for them. Campbell's a horrible acquisition for anybody, of course, but Atlanta?

Again, sure... they have space and they need to be better, but taking on a fairly wildly overpaid guy doesn't exactly make them a better team, just a more expensive team.

Old
07-17-2009, 10:07 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Oh God... what a horrible move for them. Campbell's a horrible acquisition for anybody, of course, but Atlanta?

Again, sure... they have space and they need to be better, but taking on a fairly wildly overpaid guy doesn't exactly make them a better team, just a more expensive team.

Says you.

Old
07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 50
Campbell is a player that you want to get rid of, but his contract is so bad that no one wants him (or maybe even capable of taking him). Their only hope is to put him on waivers. If someone claims him, great, if not then either bury him in the minors or negotiate a buyout.

If I were Chicago's GM, I would focus more on removing his cap hit than getting anything in return.

Old
07-17-2009, 01:25 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Big raise or not, Atlanta is a team that is struggling to make money. They are also IIRC not eligible for revenue sharing because of the size of the market they are in (like the Islanders). I'm not sure they could even afford to add 7M to their payroll, no matter how smart of a hockey decision it might be. Don't kid yourself, the Brad Richards trade had more to do with trying to balance the books than it did with making a hockey move. Atlanta really isn't in a position to spend big money on free agents. They still have Little to re-sign and will need another 8-10 players to sign even after Kovalchuk and Little just to fill out the roster. They've got 8.25M/season for the next 3 years tied up in Ron Hainsey and Tobias Enstrom as well. Can a team struggling to get out of the red afford to add another 7.1M for 1 player? Not to mention that Lehtonen is a RFA after next season so they will have to pony up to keep him and he's just re-signed for 3M so he won't be cheap.
Atlanta's eligible for revenue sharing and has been receiving it according to media articles.

The cutoff is a DMA of 2.5m households or more. Atlanta and San Jose [also receiving revenue sharing] are in danger of surpassing that threshold in the near future though as their population grows.

http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettr..._hh_by_dma.asp

Old
07-17-2009, 06:44 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Says you.
Well, obviously. Did you think someone else was saying it?

Old
07-17-2009, 11:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Well, obviously. Did you think someone else was saying it?

Old
07-18-2009, 07:37 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:

So, the guy who thinks freaking Atlanta should trade for Brian Campbell calls someone else loony.

Allllllrighty then.

Old
07-18-2009, 08:44 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

So, the guy who thinks freaking Atlanta should trade for Brian Campbell calls someone else loony.

Allllllrighty then.
Show me where I said Atlanta SHOULD trade for Brian Campbell.
I didn't, of course, say any such thing.
So, you're wrong about that too.

I am saying they are a team that could stomach the contract, should they decide they really need a PP QB. And they could do so without having to send a $5M contract the other way.

In a league where wings fans consider Brian Rafalski paid fairly, Brian Campbell isn't nearly the liability some say he is.

Would I like him? No. But I don't want Rafalski, for what he brings, either.

Old
07-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Macke*

Watch the Hawks send Campbell down to the Minors to get cap space for the year only to call him up when the playoffs start when there is no cap.

Imagine how much that would piss Campbell off... but hey it's a business.

Old
07-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
Watch the Hawks send Campbell down to the Minors to get cap space for the year only to call him up when the playoffs start when there is no cap.

Imagine how much that would piss Campbell off... but hey it's a business.
We do that and we're ****ed... our D-Men in the minors aren't NHL ready yet. We can't have:

Seabrook-Keith
Barker-Hjalmarsson
Sopel-Johnson

That would be quite possibly the worst defense in recent memory. We NEED Campbell on the PK as well... we're incredibly handcuffed and the only way to effectively get rid of that cap hit is to trade for mediocre D-Men.

I know your post wasn't really serious... but I have heard other people mention the same thing.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:21 AM
neus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliuuuuu View Post
We do that and we're ****ed... our D-Men in the minors aren't NHL ready yet. We can't have:

Seabrook-Keith
Barker-Hjalmarsson
Sopel-Johnson

That would be quite possibly the worst defense in recent memory. We NEED Campbell on the PK as well... we're incredibly handcuffed and the only way to effectively get rid of that cap hit is to trade for mediocre D-Men.

I know your post wasn't really serious... but I have heard other people mention the same thing.
Who is AlIU?

Old
07-19-2009, 03:42 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Show me where I said Atlanta SHOULD trade for Brian Campbell.

Quote:
I am saying they are a team that could stomach the contract, should they decide they really need a PP QB. And they could do so without having to send a $5M contract the other way.
Well sure. Any team with the cap space could 'stomach the contract', Tin.

My point is that it'd be profoundly stupid for them (meaning, any team in the NHL) to do so, much like it was profoundly stupid for the Hawks to give him the deal in the first place.

Quote:
In a league where wings fans consider Brian Rafalski paid fairly, Brian Campbell isn't nearly the liability some say he is.
Campbell's contract is the worst contract at it's position in the whole NHL. It's about 3 years too long and anywhere between 1 and 2 million dollars to much. Heck, maybe 2.5 mil too much.

Rafalski's deal is market value... and even better the Wings have already won a Cup with him on the team having a fairly huge role.

This is just another case of Wings fans having to see every contract be no worse than a slight bargain every year or else they whine. The guy has been incredibly productive as a Wings dman. Is he Nick Lidstrom? Of course not. But Brian Campbell's going to make within 325k of what Lidstrom pulled down last year for the next seven bleeping seasons, and Campbell has an NTC by the way. He gets to pick no more than 8 teams to which he would accept a trade to.

Think one of those teams is going to be Atlanta?

Old
07-19-2009, 09:02 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

Well sure. Any team with the cap space could 'stomach the contract', Tin.

My point is that it'd be profoundly stupid for them (meaning, any team in the NHL) to do so, much like it was profoundly stupid for the Hawks to give him the deal in the first place.

Campbell's contract is the worst contract at it's position in the whole NHL. It's about 3 years too long and anywhere between 1 and 2 million dollars to much. Heck, maybe 2.5 mil too much.

Rafalski's deal is market value... and even better the Wings have already won a Cup with him on the team having a fairly huge role.

This is just another case of Wings fans having to see every contract be no worse than a slight bargain every year or else they whine. The guy has been incredibly productive as a Wings dman. Is he Nick Lidstrom? Of course not. But Brian Campbell's going to make within 325k of what Lidstrom pulled down last year for the next seven bleeping seasons, and Campbell has an NTC by the way. He gets to pick no more than 8 teams to which he would accept a trade to.

Think one of those teams is going to be Atlanta?

Didn't know that Campbell had an NTC. That complicates things. But he's still movable.

And yeah, I know he's overpaid. But he makes $1.2M more than Rafalski and is much younger. And he'll be younger at the end of his contract then Rafalski will at the end of his.

Old
07-20-2009, 07:34 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Didn't know that Campbell had an NTC. That complicates things. But he's still movable.
Of course he is movable. Any player in the NHL is movable. There's always going to be some team with the cap space to take on any deal, even maximum deals.

The point, Tin, is that it would be immensely stupid for any team to take his contract on. He is pretty wildly overpaid and overtermed. Further, I sort of assume any team which Campbell would accept a trade to would be way, way too smart to destroy their cap.

Quote:
And yeah, I know he's overpaid. But he makes $1.2M more than Rafalski and is much younger. And he'll be younger at the end of his contract then Rafalski will at the end of his.
He's younger than Lidstrom, too. Would you trade Lidstrom for Campbell? The point is, if someone can even make the case that Campbell's as good as Rafalski (which would be a long, long road), it's almost impossible to make the case that he's over a million dollars better, and that he'd continue to play at that level for SEVEN MORE YEARS.

As far as age goes, Campbell's age given his contract actually makes him less valuable, rather than moreso. In Rafalski's case it's not exactly unlikely that he would retire before it ends. I don't think he will, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he does so.

Even if he doesn't, the fact that Rafalski's deal is so much shorter is a huge, huge advantage when comparing the two. Campbell's going to be a wildly overpaid defenseman four full years after Rafalski's deal expires.

Old
07-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Gimp

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/2302

Seems like Hossa is/was hurt after all.

Old
07-22-2009, 04:25 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528

I'm not surpriced at all, that Hossa could have been injured at the playoffs. He just wasn't his own self.

But this is a quite big bomb, if he hasn't told for the Blackhawks about his injury before signing the contract.

This will be really interesting.

And ironic. They just get rid of that injury-prone Havlat.

Old
07-22-2009, 04:30 AM
Hensta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post

I'm not surpriced at all, that Hossa could have been injured at the playoffs. He just wasn't his own self.

But this is a quite big bomb, if he hasn't told for the Blackhawks about his injury before signing the contract.

This will be really interesting.

And ironic. They just get rid of that injury-prone Havlat.
classy guy!

Old
07-22-2009, 07:43 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Of course he is movable. Any player in the NHL is movable. There's always going to be some team with the cap space to take on any deal, even maximum deals.

The point, Tin, is that it would be immensely stupid for any team to take his contract on. He is pretty wildly overpaid and overtermed. Further, I sort of assume any team which Campbell would accept a trade to would be way, way too smart to destroy their cap.
And that's a bad assumption. Because there's always someone willing to overpay.[/quote]

Quote:
He's younger than Lidstrom, too. Would you trade Lidstrom for Campbell? The point is, if someone can even make the case that Campbell's as good as Rafalski (which would be a long, long road), it's almost impossible to make the case that he's over a million dollars better, and that he'd continue to play at that level for SEVEN MORE YEARS.

As far as age goes, Campbell's age given his contract actually makes him less valuable, rather than moreso. In Rafalski's case it's not exactly unlikely that he would retire before it ends. I don't think he will, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he does so.

Even if he doesn't, the fact that Rafalski's deal is so much shorter is a huge, huge advantage when comparing the two. Campbell's going to be a wildly overpaid defenseman four full years after Rafalski's deal expires.
Rafalski got a six year contract, no?
Campbell got seven. And, theoretically, since he'll be younger at it's end, he should be a little less worn down.
Of co

Old
07-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Rafalski got a 5 year contract.

Closed Thread