HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Older Bauer Vapor 8 skates, how outdated are these?

Old
06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Concussed

vCash: 500
Older Bauer Vapor 8 skates, how outdated are these?

So, I started playing again after having a 7 year layoff since Highschool hockey. I bought some new equipment but I still had these skates which have about 2 seasons on them right now.

I was wondering how much of a difference I would see going from these older Bauer Vapor 8's to last year's Vapor XXV's or XXXX's would make. The current skates seem comfortable still, and are in pretty good shape. Would it be worth it to get a new pair, or should I keep playing on the old pair until they give out? What are the main differences between the old model vapor 8's and the newer boots?

Here's a pic of what the vapor 8's I have look like, since it appears they have changed quite a bit over time.

Concussed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:46 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Those look to be leather and fabric.

Let's just put it this way. Those probably have the same relation as a ford model T and a 2009 mustang. Yeah, they're from the same company, but dear god have things changed.

If they're in good shape, they would still be usable, but they won't offer near the protection, weight and stiffness that a modern not even top end vapor would provide. Composite materials have allowed hockey equipment to move at leaps and bounds instead of just plodding along with new little quirks made with the same traditional materials. Composites are lighter, stiffer, and stronger. Modern foams can form a skate to your foot and hold their shape for a permanent, instant custom fit. Some new modern composites now form to your foot in the same baking process and retain all their properties when cool for an even more custom fit- You'll find those in the One95 and X60.

A vapor 40 is lightyears ahead of that skate.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Concussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Those look to be leather and fabric.

Let's just put it this way. Those probably have the same relation as a ford model T and a 2009 mustang. Yeah, they're from the same company, but dear god have things changed.

If they're in good shape, they would still be usable, but they won't offer near the protection, weight and stiffness that a modern not even top end vapor would provide. Composite materials have allowed hockey equipment to move at leaps and bounds instead of just plodding along with new little quirks made with the same traditional materials. Composites are lighter, stiffer, and stronger. Modern foams can form a skate to your foot and hold their shape for a permanent, instant custom fit. Some new modern composites now form to your foot in the same baking process and retain all their properties when cool for an even more custom fit- You'll find those in the One95 and X60.

A vapor 40 is lightyears ahead of that skate.

Not disagreeing with you, but I'm curious. Have you personally worn those older vapors? The reason I ask, is because you said they look like fabric and leather. The skate actually has a full composite outsole, although it may not be as good as the newer vapors, the boot is very stiff as it is. Honestly, holding the skates up to some of the newer models, and comparing weight/construction etc, the only tangible difference I noticed was the toe caps - looks like they finally quit putting nylon on them that tears after being on the ice 3 times. I could be way off though, I just couldn't see or feel a huge difference between them to justify buying a new pair.

Thanks for the reply.

Concussed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:09 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackesNBlack View Post
So, I started playing again after having a 7 year layoff since Highschool hockey. I bought some new equipment but I still had these skates which have about 2 seasons on them right now.

I was wondering how much of a difference I would see going from these older Bauer Vapor 8's to last year's Vapor XXV's or XXXX's would make. The current skates seem comfortable still, and are in pretty good shape. Would it be worth it to get a new pair, or should I keep playing on the old pair until they give out? What are the main differences between the old model vapor 8's and the newer boots?

Here's a pic of what the vapor 8's I have look like, since it appears they have changed quite a bit over time.

I went from Vapor 3s to Vapor XXVs. My new skates are lighter and (shockingly) didn't take as long to break in as my old Vapor 3s.

I'm actually willing to bet that your feet have changed since you last played in highschool, so I'd verify your skate size before making any considerations. Your current skates are fine w/ 2 years of use as long as they still fit properly.

You should also make sure that the skates are in good working order. Make sure nothing on the blade holder has rusted out. Upgrading to new skates won't make any difference for you. If you haven't played in seven years then the edge that high-end skates give you will be negated by your out-of-sync timing, lack of speed, and hands of stone

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:10 PM
stick9

Quote:

It's apples and oranges my friend. That skate was made from a classic Bauer design, and it fit like a classic Bauer skate fit. I don't believe last years Vapors share that type of fit.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
If you can afford it, go for the newer models. They are lighter and more durable. It's best to buy now and get used to a new skate rather than breaking in a new skate a day before a game because your old ones gave out.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:14 PM
frozenrubber

Relax and play with what you have.

You see such a proliferation of people on this board always pushing the latest and greatest. Has skate technology improved over the years, absolutely. But by all accounts, he isn't trying out for the Canadiens in the fall.

Use the money you would of spent on new skates on icetime and beer. Play the game and have a blast. You'll always run into players equipped out the ass with the most expensive gear that cannot play at all. Rework on your fundamentals and move on to new skates when the need arises.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:48 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I think you should use those for a few months and as your skating improves again, consider moving up to a better model. However, the XXV can be found on closeout now for around $160, which is an insane price.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
I was wondering how much of a difference I would see going from these older Bauer Vapor 8's to last year's Vapor XXV's or XXXX's would make. The current skates seem comfortable still, and are in pretty good shape.
I'd say there's no real pressing need to get a new pair of skates now.

There is definitely a difference between your Vapor 8s and the Vapor XXV and XXXX. The fit, lining, holder, runner, and more are different. However, those features aren't going to turn you into Ovechkin.

If money is not an issue, it might be worth it to have something new and treat yourself, but if you have a pair of skates you like then there's nothing wrong with that.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 06:20 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Not disagreeing with you, but I'm curious. Have you personally worn those older vapors? The reason I ask, is because you said they look like fabric and leather. The skate actually has a full composite outsole, although it may not be as good as the newer vapors, the boot is very stiff as it is. Honestly, holding the skates up to some of the newer models, and comparing weight/construction etc, the only tangible difference I noticed was the toe caps - looks like they finally quit putting nylon on them that tears after being on the ice 3 times. I could be way off though, I just couldn't see or feel a huge difference between them to justify buying a new pair.

Thanks for the reply.
Depends on what you classify as tangible. The differences are material, which has been covered, but also there are less seams, the toecaps are just plain plastic now, but that's cosmetic. Weight is shaved off everywhere possible. The outsole being composite does surprise me, that's pretty advanced for the year. Stiffness though, is something you might be surprised at if you tried a pair of top end skates. Yours may be stiff. Those don't bend. I've heard somebody on here describe skating in new Vapor 40s without baking as skating with two 2x4s strapped to the sides of your ankles.

I did not wear vapors, but I went from a pair of Externos to an Easton Synergy 800 (now SE10), and it was night and day. Half the weight. Better fit too, but the externos weren't a real great skate for me fitwise.

But hey, if they work for you, they work for you. Yeah the new skates are a lot nicer, but if you don't notice the difference you don't have to spring for them.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 06:24 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Depends on what you classify as tangible. The differences are material, which has been covered, but also there are less seams, the toecaps are just plain plastic now, but that's cosmetic. Weight is shaved off everywhere possible. The outsole being composite does surprise me, that's pretty advanced for the year. Stiffness though, is something you might be surprised at if you tried a pair of top end skates. Yours may be stiff. Those don't bend. I've heard somebody on here describe skating in new Vapor 40s without baking as skating with two 2x4s strapped to the sides of your ankles.

I did not wear vapors, but I went from a pair of Externos to an Easton Synergy 800 (now SE10), and it was night and day. Half the weight. Better fit too, but the externos weren't a real great skate for me fitwise.

But hey, if they work for you, they work for you. Yeah the new skates are a lot nicer, but if you don't notice the difference you don't have to spring for them.
Lol, they were probably 145 lbs soaking wet

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

If it matters to you at all I own 2 pair of the Vapor 6s from 2002 or 2003 and I love them. I just got a new pair like 2 weeks ago from a closeout sale on a website thanks to a poster in here who posted it. I got them for just $99.

I had them radiused and heat molded in my skate shops guy's GRAF oven thingie and they fit wonderfly and I love these skates.

I have never used an 8 but the Vapor 6 is a decent skate and I am very happy with them both. I would buy the Vapor 10s too if i saw some for a good price, those were spiffy skates.

I would like to find some actually at a closeout price but am also looking at some newer Vapor skates that were $500 and now $300 like the Vapor XXXXs and the XXXIX a couple in here posted about. I would go with the newer skates if they were reasonably priced. $300 for a skate that used to be $500 is a good deal for me.

I play recreationally in a men's league and am almost 41 years old so as stated unless you are trying out for a pro team or something go with what you are wearing already as it isn't a horrible skate to begin with.

I don't like how the new skates look but I would buy them if they were what I needed for performance purposes. Being 41 and seeing as how light these new skates are that would be the selling point for me and not status of actually showing off to other people by owning expensive skates. The "Look how cool I am in $600 skates guys" at a recreational league game is just ridiculous to do.

I hate buying new equipment ... I absolutely hate it.

Good luck!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote